Density Decrease

JDRook

I'm sure this has come up before, but how would you guys handle density decrease?

I looked at all the effects of weight change, ignored the STR and DEF effects and figured the most straightforward way would be to use Leaping with a proportional Knockback Resistance Drain Side-Effect, with lowered weight being the special effect.

Leaping 10" (10) Minor Side Effect: +1" KB per point of Leap (-1/2) Real Cost: 7 - Character can drop weight to 1/1,000th of original (about 200grams)

If I wanted to use it on others, I'd probably change the power around.

Drain KB Resistance 2D6 (20) + Linked (-1/2) with Aid Leap 1D6 (10) proportional to Drain (-0) = 27 Real Points.

What other ideas are out there?

Re: Density Decrease

You can do the same thing with Gliding, which can either represent a slowed fall do to less mass with the same surface area, or the ability to walk over pressure sensitive/unstable structures.

I think the only reason Density Decrease isn't a Power is because it have very limited uses and is better represented though other Powers.

If you tie in an increase in DEX (due to having to move less of your mass around), it becomes fairly useful. When I got the BBB years ago, I was curious as to why there was nothing between normal density and desolid, so I put in a meta-power called Density Decrease. I can't for the life of my remember how it worked since nobody ever took it.

I asked Steve a ? about this on the Questions forum about a year ago -- a search should turn it up.

This character, Gravitic

http://www.killershrike.com/MillennialMen/CharacterFiles/Gravitic.HTML

has such a power meant to be used as an attack. It was statted as:

Density Decrease: 1/8th Weight, + 3" KB, -15 STR; +3PD, +3" Leaping; (Reduces the average person to about 26 lbs/12.5 kg.) , Uncontrolled (+1/2) (90 Active Points) (9 END; uses END Reserve)

Notes: Each 20 Base Points gives target x1/2 Mass, +1" KB, -5 STR +1 PD, +1" Leaping. Visible Source, Invisible SFX. Constant while the Endurance cost is paid to maintain the effect. Defense: Shrinking, Growth, Density Increase, Desolid.

Sure, paying points to do it to someone else makes sense. If I was understanding Caped Crusader, then he was paying points to make himself weaker, more vulnerable, etc. Other than being able to be thrown a long way by a team-mate, I sure as heck don't see the advantages to lowering your STR, PD, KB, etc. that would make me pay points for it.

One of the new characters in my campaign has the ability to compress his body or expand his body. The compression is built by using Shrinking with equal levels in Density Increase so that as his body gets more compact it gets stronger. The expansion is built with Desolidification and Invisibilty with a bright fringe. To further out the expansion, the character is waved to have an 8 hex body (free, Growth didn't fit as he can't affect anything at that size and density and wounds up just a bigger target) and enhanced senses. The expansion form is really a stealthy lookout mode with almost no combat value, other than to run if hurt and the endurance outlay makes that difficult at best.

One of the new characters in my campaign has the ability to compress his body or expand his body. The compression is built by using Shrinking with equal levels in Density Increase so that as his body gets more compact it gets stronger. The expansion is built with Desolidification and Invisibilty with a bright fringe. To further out the expansion' date=' the character is waved to have an 8 hex body (free, Growth didn't fit as he can't affect anything at that size and density and wounds up just a bigger target) and enhanced senses. The expansion form is really a stealthy lookout mode with almost no combat value, other than to run if hurt and the endurance outlay makes that difficult at best.[/quote']

We had a compressor in the group as well, White Dwarf:

http://www.killershrike.com/MillennialMen/CharacterFiles/White Dwarf.HTML

He couldnt however expand.

I also created a Density Decrease power a long time ago (pre-4th). In addition to some of the benefits already mentioned, it included increased Swimming, reduced END on Movement Powers.

At half normal density, it would be very difficult to dive below the surface of water. And if you decrease your density enough, you'll rise into the air like a helium balloon.

Density is not the same as Solidity. Don't confuse Density Decrease for Desolid.

Back then I also created a power called Hardening. It made your flesh harder without increasing mass/density. It was pretty much a redundant power, since it really wasn't much more than a bonus to PD (ED), though I also added in a Damage Shield that only works vs. unarmed physical HTH attacks, i.e., you break your hand against my jaw. Again, this is not the same thing as Density Increase. Lead is softer, yet more dense than diamond. Ice is harder, but less dense than dirt.