Battlemech Weapons to Hero

shadowcat1313

Re: Battlemech Weapons to Hero

I've been making notes to start this kind of conversion for a home campaign .. I was thinking of altering the END rules for heat issues, utilizing END Reserves and such .. but no real details worked out yet.

As for these weapons..

on the LRM-5, what's the indirect for? Not sure about that.

Other than that they look workable... But I really can't give accurate information until I know what the armor level of the mechs is that you have in mind, otherwise the damages look kind of arbitrary.

But, I haven't worked up any kind of stats yet, so who am I to complain :)

I posted the same file in text form on the Star Hero fandom site, and forgot to post the text file.

the damage figures are arbitrary, there converted from data I found in an old issue of Battletechnology and the old Starhero Playtest draft.

which gives the following chart

Small Laser: 10mgw

Medium Laser: 30mgw

Large Laser: 70mgw

the SRM is a 60mm warhead

the LRM is a 200mm warhead

the missile warhead data came from one of the tech readouts, and the old mech blueprint set

as far as the warhead damage, I got the weight figures from my copy of Striker.. the old traveller minatures rules set, then used the chart from the starhero playtest to figure damage, Striker gives a 6kg weight for the 6cm warhead, and 120kg for the 200mm warhead. thats assuming standard warheads and no guidance

for Streak Warheads, I would call them a homing warhead and add 1kg to the weight, but not for damage

now for NARC pods, that would be a bit different

its not even remotely perfect, but it does give a sense of scale, and I can point folks to where I am getting the data from

I would just pull it out of a hat like a rabbit, but the cat keeps chasing the rabbit back in

I did a straight conversion by weight, not by Battletech damage

although the SRM is going to do more damage with a direct hit than the frag damage from the HE warheads on the LRMs

along with the fact the SRM is an AP warhead

but again, thats why I posted this stuff... to get ideas

I don't agree with the weights for the warheads. How come the SRM does twice as much damage as the LRM if it packs so much less explosive?

In whichever edition of Battletech I've got, SRMs did 2 points per hit, while LRMs did 1 point per hit. I think the difference is that an LRM devotes more of its space to propellant, thus a longer range, while an SRM devotes more of its space to explosive, thus a shorter range but a harder hit.

Yeah ... having pulled out some of my old Battletech stuff ... the LRMs did less damage, I think the idea being they sacraficed damage for the range. Most meachs that had LRMs were considered Artillery Mechs and used against PBI anyway (at least, as I remember it .. been 10 years since I've played .. maybe that's just how we used LRMs).

Standardizing effects sounds like a good idea.. don't know if +3DEF for ton of armor is too much or to little though.

Assuming 1 Ton of armor provides +3 DEF:

7 tons of armor completely blocks a Small Laser at that level. Assuming we stick to a SmL doing 6 1/2D6, standard effect is 19Bdy

The problem with standard effect and armor is that smaller mechs that only mount smaller weapons will never do damage to larger mechs that carry large amounts of armor.

rolling for damage means that 7 Tons of armor provides 21 DEF by itself, a small laser still has a chance of getting some damage through, but not often. Against mechs carrying 10 Tons of armor a SmL means nearly nothing to them even using normal damage.

Looks like it might be a good level, but i'd recommend against Standard Effect. If Standard Effect were used then it'd have to be lowered to 1 Ton = +2 Def just so smaller mechs have some kind of chance.

A couple of notes here:

Regarding the armor, if you're being true to the original game, it's all ablative armor. That way, any weapon has the potential to bring down any mech, if you can shoot it enough.

Second, if you regard the computer games as a source, the missiles can be fired indirectly without a spotter by locking onto the target, then firing the missles up or to the side. Being homing missles, they would then arc around to the target. I liked using this technique to take out stationary targets from behind cover. I've also heard that you can sometimes get missles to overshoot a target and strike it from behind like this.

Zeropoint

There's a problem with Ablative..

under standard rules it aquires an activation roll, which means the armor may fail entirely at some point - which may work, but I've never liked that idea. Under the optional rules for ablative the defenses only reduce when Bdy gets through them which leaves us in the same place as before.

as for the computer game .. I've never played it so I don't know anything about it.

I was actually going simply sidestep the whole issue by not simulating Bettletech Armor as it played in B-tech, but make sure armor levels and weapon levels came across and then used Hero's system for determining damage.

I was also considering using Hit Locations and each Ton of armor has to specify the location(s) it covers, but then the DEF value for each Ton would have to be increased if we keep with the damage values listed in files Shadowcat1313 posted. at +7 DEF/Ton you would need a minimum of 2 Tons in any given location, though I would say that the 2 DEF provided by the vehicle itself counts in all locations.

I'll have to go crunch numbers and post results.