My Faithful Steed

Blue

I'm finally getting around to building a character that has only been a name for a year now. One of his abilities is to summon his horse by whistling. *Poof*, there he is running out of the alley or around the corner, no matter where he is.

So I started builidng it as a summon. It would have to have the "Specific Being" advantage, so the cost doubled. But it seemed to me the horse was not the loyal sidekick he should be, and worse yet--could be dispelled!

So then I thought maybe he's a follower... Makes more sense. Then I had to build either a teleport or summon onto the hero to make him appear or a teleport onto the horse that only works when called, but he'd have to have clairsentience that allows him to hear the whistle anywhere in the world.

I'm making this more complicated than it has to be. Lay out some possibilities for me, please... hopefully ones that won't cost me a zillion points just to call his faithful horse.

Thanks.

Re: My Faithful Steed

Reason from effect - call it running. The horse is just a special effect. Limit as necessary, and feed the running from an END pool. Unless you want Silver to do more stuff. Then make it a multipower or an EC. I avoid the complicated stuff because I'm a sissy, rules wise.

There was once a swashbuckler character I knew who could swing from a chandelier wherever he was. Handy things, his chandeliers...

I've done this once, and it's not out of the question here.

In the other case, it was a woman who summoned beings based on her tattoos, one of which was a pegasus. It was simple and efficient. But the horse would never be able to do anything more than act as SFX for flight.

I'd *like* to have the horse able to do things on his own, if necessary.

It's all in a western theme. Sundown and his horse, Tempest, whom he calls by giving the ol' boardinghouse whistle with his fingers.

But if this winds up costing a fortune, I may have to go this route.

I've got to squeeze in his guns, lariat entangle (and maybe some lariat-based martial arts), and a few other things in addition to his horse.

I'm finally getting around to building a character that has only been a name for a year now. One of his abilities is to summon his horse by whistling. *Poof*, there he is running out of the alley or around the corner, no matter where he is.

So I started builidng it as a summon. It would have to have the "Specific Being" advantage, so the cost doubled. But it seemed to me the horse was not the loyal sidekick he should be, and worse yet--could be dispelled!

So then I thought maybe he's a follower... Makes more sense. Then I had to build either a teleport or summon onto the hero to make him appear or a teleport onto the horse that only works when called, but he'd have to have clairsentience that allows him to hear the whistle anywhere in the world.

I'm making this more complicated than it has to be. Lay out some possibilities for me, please... hopefully ones that won't cost me a zillion points just to call his faithful horse.

Thanks.

Follower sounds most appropriate to me.

What about getting around the Clairsentience by giving the horse a limited Mind Link, only to know when its master needs it? It then uses its "Teleport - only to conveniently be where its master needs it"? I'd use a multipower for the Tport -one with scaleable megascale and one not, with enough NCM multiples to get to a km distance. The "Help with teleport power" thread has a similar construct (near the present end) which might make a start for that.

THAt teleport was working out at 75 points, but it had a lot of Extra Mass adders. I'd bet the horse could purchase it for under 50 (probably at 0 END), which will only increase its cost to your character by about 10 points.

Blue I'd go with Hugh on this one. He has been thinking about Teleport Permutations for a while.

However have you though about Duplication (Totally Different Duplicate)? That way you are in total control of the Horse and it is a smart and skilled as you want to make it. After all aren't a Cowboy and his loyal steed more than just a team? Don't they fight as one?

Plus the horse doesn't need Teleport if it is a dupe!

Hawksmoor

Think I got it using a multipower with a few teleport slots (megascale and non), only to answer the character's mindlink summons. It may take several phases to arrive at longer distances. Not too bad.

Thanks for the help.

But now I've got to look at that duplicate thing just because ;)

Wound up with a Multipower with variously sized megascale teleport slots that only work in response to the mindlink summons, netting about 29pts paid for by the horse and about 28pts on the character for follower and mindlink (only for summons).

-vs.-

A duplicate where 100% of the points are applied differently to the dupe, 1 turn summons time, ranged "recombination" (the horse riding away without him), and coming in about 44pts. 0 Cost to the horse.

The downside of the teleport is awkward distance mechanics. If you were exactly 10km away the horse would show up instantly, but if he were 1/2 km it would take longer because he'd actually be running instead.

Downside of the Duplication is that theoretically he should be appearing side-by-side with the character, so it doesn't carry the same special effect unless it's just fudged for dramatics.

I'm tempted to use the duplication only because the mechanics stike me so funny.

Downside of the Duplication is that theoretically he should be appearing side-by-side with the character' date=' so it doesn't carry the same special effect unless it's just fudged for dramatics.[/quote']Wouldn't something like Extra Time (Only to Activate) fix this? The SFX of the Extra Time would be the horse galloping up to him. Or trotting. Depends on how much Extra Time we're talking about here.

Also, Incantations-- he has to whistle to call the horse, right?

I'm tempted to use the duplication only because the mechanics stike me so funny.
Always go with the funny power.

Wound up with a Multipower with variously sized megascale teleport slots that only work in response to the mindlink summons' date=' netting about 29pts paid for by the horse and about 28pts on the character for follower and mindlink (only for summons).[/quote']

If you used a two slot Multi with Scaleable Megascale + multiple NCM slots, you should be able to get the horse's arrival down to two phases.

Say

22 Multi: 66 Base; only to reply to Summons (-2)

4 m 9" Teleport, 1 fixed location (same 1 km hex as Master), Megascale (1" = 10,000 km; +1 1/4), Megascale can scale down (+1/4; min 1 km) AP 66.5

3 m 10" Teleport, 1 fixed location (Master) x128 NCM (+30; 1st 2x is free) (51 AP)

That's the 29 points you get paid by the Horse, so I'm guessing your construct is similar. You whistle, it spends a 1/2 phase to teleport up to 50,000 km to be within 1 km of you, then another 1/2 phase to move up to 5" x 128 = 640" = 1.28 km to close the distance.

Note that I'm not sure you NEED the two half phase actions - I believe with Scaleable, you can move any distance provided it's no greater than your maximum movement and no less than 1 km.

And why are you paying for Mind Link? Let the horse buy it "Only to hear Master call". That makes the cost to you about 6 points (1/5 of the extra points paid by the follower). Presumably, the other 22 is the remaining abilities of the horse. Sounds reasonable to me, but I'm not your GM.

Of course! What was I thinking. I travel to a dimension where my horse exists at the scene.

Well, flip it around. Keep the horse in a pocket dimension with a nice little stream and lots of grass and sunshine, have a psychic bond mind link (which spans to that dimension) and buy EDM for the horse.

or does the horse have a secret ID it's maintaining when it's not busy helping out? :)