Game Maps and Counters Exchange

etherio

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Game Maps and Counters Exchange

For Mapping I can recommend 3 products:

1. Dundjinni. Makes awesome maps and can add a nice hex grid if you want it. Worth the price. Also, take a look in their forums because there are some really great maps posted. Easy to find and high quality. www.dundjinni.com

2. MapX. Nearly as good as Dundjinni and free. The software even allows for major and minor grid lines (which can be hexes). I used this extensively until Dundjinni came out. www.realmcreator.com

3. OpenOffice. Many people overlook this gem. OpenOffice has a drawing program that provides excellent vector graphics capabilities, including merging of objects, transparency, and texture mapping. Additionally, the built-in gallery makes it easy to create a catalog of quick-access objects. The software will export to jpg, png, or direct to pdf. I use this for larger, modern maps (like for Dark Champs). Free. www.openoffice.org

I have used DungeonCrafter and there is no comparison to these tools. However, if you want to make maps like Mr. Curtis, you need a tool like Illustrator, not to mention the talent. While no tool can make up for talent, it is important to have the right tools. If you don't have Illustrator, here are some alternatives that cost $0.

4. Inkscape. This is a great tool with many features on par with Illustrator. It is still a vector base program, so object manipulation is standard, and there is an extensive library of clipart, much of it gamable. It also uses SVG, which gives it mucho geek points. http://www.inkscape.org/

5. Gimp. Touching up maps is always nice to do, but for that you need a program like Photoshop ($$$), PaintShop Pro ($), or Gimp (0). Using things like the clone tool and so on you can easily eliminate any text/marring from whatever map you have and clean it up. Great for scanning in a dungeon map and eliminating secret doors and traps. I prefer Gimp but have used all three and any of them are fine products. I believe they all have trial versions so decide for yourself.

I use all electronic maps because I run all of my games using Klooge (http://www.kloogeinc.com/werks/index.htm). The latest release added paint tools to the program which make it great for doing maps on the fly for those moments when you just can't railroad your players :whistle:.

I will take a look at what I have and post it. I have several maps that my be of use.

Here is a subway encounter I drew up. Complete with OO file.

Here is a sample mini-dungeon using the simple toolset I built for use with Dundjinni. My goal was to use a tool like DJ to create old-school maps that had a modern crispness to it.

The reason for the all black is that it blends in with the Klooge obscurment tool. That way I don't have to worry about how sloppy my "reveals" are since everything is black.

Junkyard & Garage. I spent a little more time on the garage than the junkyard as a whole, but you can see some of the built-in textures of OO. Any image file can become a texture, which is really sweet.

Also, I am RG Colorblind so I generally stick to simple colored maps or grayscale. I think the Junkyard may be off, but eh. Like it says in the thread, it's free, here ya go.

Years ago, I got this Star Wars starship from some guy's website where he had it posted to share. I would credit him, but I don't have that info. I made the counters for the players...they are, of course, scanned from copyrighted work and retouched.

Years ago' date=' I got this Star Wars starship from some guy's website where he had it posted to share. I would credit him, but I don't have that info. I made the counters for the players...they are, of course, scanned from copyrighted work and retouched.[/quote']

Nice counters, I like making those for games but I seem to run out of time and it's always a last-minute thought.

Nice counters' date=' I like making those for games but I seem to run out of time and it's always a last-minute thought.[/quote']

Thanks. You probably noticed already, but I posted a bunch of those face-shot counters on this thread. I have more of the same, but only for my supers campaign. I'll post the rest when I get a chance.

Those Deckplans are by Frank V Bonura. You can find his website at: http://deckplans.00sf.com/

This is a great thread. I've already taken mudpyr8's subway map to make the secret lair for the Grey Ghost.

Thanks for taking care of that for me.

Good to see you're finding something useful. Let's all post and share what materials we can. We gamers are a creative bunch, and we all have something other gamers could use...pics, props, cool character sheets or Hero Designer templates, whatever. References or links to interesting props or resources are welcome also.

Here are the rest of the face-shot counters I have...

If any of you notices that a set is redundant, please let me know and I'll edit or remove it. As mentioned in an earlier post, these are made at the scale I prefer, which is 1/2" square. For those of you who like the 1" square kind, it's easy enough to resize them...they should look fine when blown up to that size.

Here is a link to the Omega Team campaign. My old Dark Champions campaign. Killer Shrike is kind enough to host this. The sight contains lots of characters, the team's base, vehicle and the campaign history. Though the game was run in 4th Edition all of the Hero Designer files are updated for 5th Edition.

I'm gonna do a better job with textures, but here's my Monument Circle. For scale, the sidewalk is 1" wide.

NeroCraft: glad I could assist.

Etherio: I've also attached my Klooge Standup of one of your guys. Do you have any more non-counter supers? Is it okay if I do this? (apologies if the name is wrong on the super, but it's the first thing that came to mind).

Hey no problem mudpyr8. I thought the idea of an abandoed subway station as a lair would be cool, but I had't found any usuable maps to start with. I was about to sit down and start making something up, mind you I live in a city that doesn't have a subway system, so I'm sure the results would've been interesting. But your map saved me a lot of time. So thanks.

Etherio: I've also attached my Klooge Standup of one of your guys.

I may be clueless, but what is a Klooge standup?

Do you have any more non-counter supers?

Sorry, I have very little in the way of non-supers counters. I recommend checking out the SJG standups set drawn by Denis Loubet for fantasy and sci-fi...I heard they've been re-released. I used to have a full set, and I intend to get one again myself.

Is it okay if I do this? (apologies if the name is wrong on the super' date=' but it's the first thing that came to mind).[/quote']

Have fun with the images...I posted them so you could make use of them in your campaigns. I figured since I put some effort into them, I might as well make sure they get a lot of use.

By the way...thanks to all those who are sharing, and I encourage those who have not yet done so. Don't be shy...show us what ya got.

...mind you I live in a city that doesn't have a subway system' date=' so I'm sure the results would've been interesting...[/quote']

Speaking of which...

Some of us, like myself, don't live in the major metropolitan areas, like New York or LA. Often, in GMing, I run into little problems that come from a lack of background knowledge of that sort. For example: 'What exactly is in those subway tunnels?' 'Are they above-ground sometimes?' 'Can you go into the Statue of Liberty nowadays?' 'Why exactly the hell is so bad about New Jersey?' (hehe).

Anyway, maybe we can ask those kinds of technical questions here when we need to. I could, for example, answer your questions about an adventure in Hawaii. (Send your heroes here on vacation.)

Speaking of Hawaii... I was able to acquire some island maps from a local travel agency, but they didn't have anything in the way of hiking maps. I would be looking for something that showed some of the areas around the volcanoes or major waterfalls. (Both areas of encounter interest) If you had anything that could be scanned, that would be awesome!