Multiple-Foci Power Construction Question

devlin1

Alright, that subject line ought to have attracted anyone with an interest in Foci, power construction, and/or nitpicking.

I'm making a character who has a number of similar foci, but each one has a different set of functions. One has HA/Missile Deflection, one can Flash, one has limited movement powers, etc. These Foci are, at first glance, rather similar-looking, so there's a chance that when she reaches for one in a hurry, she might grab the wrong one. There's a humorous element to this, but I also look forward to that rare occasion when things go awry, astray, or askew (or possibly all three) and the player has to choose between taking another Phase to draw a different Focus, or making creative use of what's already in his character's hand.

What's the best way to represent this? I was thinking of a Multipower with Activation and Side Effects to randomly select a different slot on the off chance that she grabbed the wrong Focus. However, since each Foci really has to have its own Multipower, that doesn't really work.

What I'm looking for is a book-legal way to accurately build this. If your advice is to hand-wave it, the thought did occur to me-- but I want to put it into numbers. Thanks!

Re: Multiple-Foci Power Construction Question

My first thoughts when coming up with the value of a Limitation is to think of exactly how limiting it actually is.

How difficult is it for the character to tell the difference between the various foci? Can she tell the difference normally (out of combat) but the similarity might make things a bit difficult otherwise? What's the likelyhood of her grabbing exactly what she wants, or how long would it take for her to figure it out by taking the time to actually look?

Off the top of my head, I'd suggest a Variable -1/2 Limitation (Activation/RSR, Extra Time, Side Effects). She can either take a half phase to make sure she grabs the correct foci (using the other half to use it), or she can make an Activation/Skill Roll and hope for the best, running he change she'll grab something else.

My recommendations:

1. Put all Powers in one MP.

2. Put a common Modifier on the MP for the Focus (yes, I know there are multiplie foci....that will come up next).

3. Put a private +1/4 Modifier on the MP (not affecting the slots) of "Requires Multiple Foci or Functions at Reduced Effectiveness" -- this is straight out of the book on multiple Foci.

4. Put a private Activation Roll Limitation on the MP -- Requires Activation Roll to switch slots. Since this will be reducing the cost of the MP as a whole, I would say that you should just take this Limitation and not Side Effects as well.....just have it be understood that a failed Activation Roll means that the slot changes to something random.

My recommendations:

1. Put all Powers in one MP.

This was my initial idea, but since each Focus has its own set of powers, making each power a slot in the same MP doesn't reflect that. For example, one Focus has HA, EB, HKA, and Missile Deflection. If she's managed to pull that one out, she should be able to use any and all of those powers without penalty. That is, she shouldn't need an Activation Roll to switch from, say, HA to Missile Deflection.

3. Put a private +1/4 Modifier on the MP (not affecting the slots) of "Requires Multiple Foci or Functions at Reduced Effectiveness" -- this is straight out of the book on multiple Foci.

Right, but each Focus is independent of the others. I.e., she doesn't need the movement-based Focus for the melee-based Focus to work.

These are still all good ideas and will get me thinking about it in new ways. I guess the core of my question is how do you limit the use of powers that are otherwise unrelated? If they're in the same Framework together, it's no problem, but when they're completely separate powers, or are in different Frameworks... how does it work?

I'd go with RSR (PER' date=' probably?) + SE. The skill roll would allow for bonuses if you take time. I wouldn't give each one more than -1/4. Depending on how good the skill roll is, I might give -1/4 for the whole shebang.[/quote']

I have a feeling this is probably as close as I'm going to get to what I'm envisioning.

Okay, total novice here (well, not really, but I might be missing something).

Why couldn't you just build your individual multipowers and put the same set of Lims on each?

Each individual MP would have OAF, Activation Roll/Extra Time/Side-effects, etc... The SE would be defined as "Randomly determined MP" (random roll out of all MPs with the same set of Lims... after all, one could get lucky and pick the right one by sheer accident!)

There has to be something I'm not seeing here... or would this work?

Guest Kolava

I'd say just to go with the powers as they are, each with its own focus, then buy a few levels of unluck. After all, you said this was supposed to be a humorous and rare occasion, right? That sounds like Unluck, and you can have the disadvantage be worth less points if you want to keep it narrow (otherwise the unluck will spill into other areas of the character, which you may or may not want)