Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

I've never touched that text, to be honest. I figured it would roll over by itself to something appropriate. I hadn't noticed that it didn't. Since I don't really follow post counts, do you have any other suggestions?

-AA

Size Doesn't Matter?

That's very interesting. I've always regarded it as essential for a horror writer to establish reality before shattering it. Is it that concept you dislike, or just the amount of time it takes for King to do it?

-AA

Reality is overrated, and it really should be made with safety-glass.

I never got the point of horror. I'm supposed to scare myself as a form of entertainment?

Although I must admit, if I ever need a good laugh, I just watch a horror movie.

Doc

Silence of the Rams. Its a football movie.

Not really. Some people do "Triple Millennial Master"' date=' "Quadruple Millennial Master", etc. Some do something a bit different, but related: for a while I was a "Millennial Abnormal" (having worked my way up from "Skilled (Ab)Normal") and Klytus is a "Millennial Mage". Others have abandoned the "Millennial" thing altogether, either as passe or just because they want something different. Heck, for that matter, [i']leave[/i] it as "Double Millennial Master" if you so desire...I was more poking a bit of fun than making a serious attempt to get you to change your descriptor. :)

Millenially Ambivilent also works.

Horror has never really been my cup of tea, either. Some of it actively repulses me (the "buckets o' blood and gore" approach) but most of it just leaves me uninterested.

I've been told by a number of people that I run a very good horror RPG scenario, though. :) (I occassionally do those by request...since they're not something I care for, I don't start/write them on my own. If I do decide to do one on request, though, you can bet your bottom dollar I'm going to try my darndest to deliver what the person wants. Evidently I have. :) )

My Ravenloft game was extremely well recieved.

I can see more of a point in "game of personal horror" RPG's. It's like telling stories by the campfire. You tell a story to see if you can freak someone else out, and then they get a turn to see if they can top you. Horror games are like that. You RP to see if you can manage to give the players (or the GM) the creeps. And they're doing the same thing. The fun part is the creative ways you find to get under each other's skins.

With a horror movie, the director has already had his fun. It's no fun for me to go see it just to validate his storytelling ability. Maybe if he paid me to see it...

Doc

I see the point too: goth babes.

In all my years of running Vampire, there was only one time I truly manged to scare all of my players.

Bonnie Fair Bear.

It was a fine moment for me :eg:

In my game - Cain showing up sort of got their attention.

The last book of his that I read was Insomnia and I liked it so much that I stopped reading for fear of finding a stinker. I also highly recommened The Regulators and Desperation. One was written as Bachman and the other as King and they are somewhat related (moreso than most of his books).

King is one of the best cures for Insomnia I've ever run across.

*heh* I had the same experience with a romance game. I ran it for longer than I thought I would and my players never stopped wanting more, and oftener. But you couldn't make me read a romance novel for all the gold in Donald Trump's bathroom.

-AA

I'm still waiting for the contract to write boddice ripper hero.

Sure! I love it when the movie is over and I'm looking around dark corners without realizing it. I doubt there's a way to convey the feeling, though, if you don't already experience it. Ultimately different people react to fear in different ways. Some folks put up barriers and do things like scoff or laugh or rationalize. Others, like me, revel in the base instincts that a good fright can stir up in their body. All a matter of taste (or lack thereof :P).

Some "horror" is really just gory comedy. I get a kick out of much of that, too.

-AA

Comedy with blood. Got it.

A bit of both really. I mean' date=' if you're reading in the horror genre, you don't really need the sense of reality to be established, since you know it's all coming crumbling down anyway. After all, the original [i']Dawn of the Dead[/i] movie didn't bother, did it? We were just dropped straight in to the action. So part of me feels that this technique is not absolutely necessary, and is indeed a little less than brilliant when everyone knows that genre conventions mean that this reality is going to be torn apart. It's a tired device therefore I'd suggest. And yes, I think that King takes too long at this, IIRC. ;)

Laughter is an involuntary physiological reaction to survival issues - food, sex, death, etc.

Comedy and horror are pretty much the same thing.