Help with Mystic/Pulp Hero Characters

Plucky

Well, after not running Hero games for 10 years, I decided to get back into the game by running one at GenCon. Perhaps not the greatest of ideas, but I have confidence in my ability to get back into this quickly. :rolleyes: Besides, I'll just use Sidekick.

The concept of this adventure is 1930 Mystic/Pulp Hero. While I am REALLY not an expert on the Pulp genre, I like what I've seen. So I figure I'd add in Mystic and blame any genre lapse on the Mystic portion of the adventure. At the heart of this is the typical 'save the world' scenario. Our heroes find that some secret organization has collected the artifacts necessary to summon the Kings of Edom, long locked away from our reality, into our world. Therefore, they need to gather the clues and locate the ritual site in order to stop the summoning.

For this adventure, I need to create 6 pre-generated characters. Given that I don't know nearly enough about those famous pulp heroes, I am just going to create some based on various archtypes.

1) Rich Adventurer

2) Incredible Thief/Spy

3) Super Scientist

4) Mysterious Archaeologist/Mystic

5) World Famous Doctor/Explorer

6) Master of Secret Oriental Arts

That said, it's been a while since I created Hero characters so I figure I'd post them (over the next couple of days as I create them) for people to review. Please let me know what you think and suggest anything that can make them more 'pulpish'.

Thanks,

Plucky

Re: Help with Mystic/Pulp Hero Characters

Ingvar (Ivan) Kamprad

Player:

Val** Char*** Cost
13** STR 3
23** DEX 39
13** CON 6
13** BODY 6
13** INT 3
14** EGO 8
20** PRE 10
20** COM 5
6** PD 3
6** ED 3
4** SPD 7
6** REC 0
30** END 2
30** STUN 3
*8"**RUN42"**SWIM05 1/2"**LEAP3Characteristics Cost: 105

Cost** Power END
7** Calm and Collected: +15 PRE (15 Active Points); Limited Power Only versus Presence attacks (-1)*
3** Hand-To-Hand Attack +1d6 (5 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2)* 1
5** Luck 1d6* 0
Powers Cost: 15

Cost** Skill
5** +1 with DCV*
9** Acrobatics 17-*
3** Acting 13-*
9** Breakfall 17-*
3** Bribery 13-*
3** Bureaucratics 13-*
3** Climbing 14-*
3** Conversation 13-*
3** Cryptography 12-*
9** Gambling 15-*
5** High Society 14-*
2** Language: German (fluent conversation)*
3** Language: French (completely fluent)*
2** Language: Spanish (fluent conversation)*
3** Lockpicking 14-*
3** Oratory 13-*
3** Persuasion 13-*
7** PS: Financier 16-*
7** Seduction 15-*
7** Shadowing 14-*
7** Stealth 16-*
7** Tracking 14-*
4** WF: Common Melee Weapons, Small Arms*
Skills Cost: 110

Cost** Perk
15** Money: Filthy Rich*
5** Contact: Rich / Powerful people in democratic / capitalist countries 14-*
5** Contact: Law enforcement agencies 14-*
Perks Cost: 25

Cost** Talent
9** Ambidexterity (no Off Hand penalty)*
Talents Cost: 9

Cost** Equipment END
** .357 Magnum (Colt Python): Killing Attack - Ranged 1 1/2d6 (25 Active Points); OAF (-1), STR Minimum 1-5 (STR Min. Cannot Add/Subtract Damage; -1), 6 Charges (-3/4), Real Weapon (-1/4), Beam (-1/4)* [6]
Equipment costs shown above are for reference only, and are not included in Total Cost.

Total Character Cost: 264

Val** Disadvantages
10** Dependent NPC: Younger Sister: Accountant / Financial Wizard 11- (Normal; Useful Noncombat Position or Skills)*
5** Distinctive Features: Picture of a pyramid branded into left forearm (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)*
15** Hunted: Secret International Criminal Syndicate 8- (As Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)*
10** Psychological Limitation: Difficulty accepting beautiful women can be evil or cruel (Uncommon, Strong)*
10** Psychological Limitation: Easily seduced by attractive females (Uncommon, Strong)*
15** Psychological Limitation: Will not break words once given (Uncommon, Total)*
10** Reputation: Womanizer, 11-*

Disadvantage Points: 75

Base Points: 190

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

Background/History: The elder son of a rich Swedish family, Ingvar would have lived a life of money and luxury. Unfortunately, while touring Manhattan as a child, he was kidnapped by a local criminal syndicate. While his family negotiated in good faith and paid vast sums of money to have their child back, the vicious criminals strung the family along with additional demands and conditions. It was during this 6-months long ordeal that Ingvar learned of the existance of a secretive International Criminal Syndicate and received the pyramid brand on his forearm (marking him as property of the Syndicate). In the end, it was Ingvar himself, with his nerves of steel and amazing agility, who plotted and executed his escape. Since then, he vowed to fight this secret organization with all his resources to prevent anyone else from living through what he experienced. Now, he appears to be a wealthy playboy who attends parties and travels around the world. But, to those in the know, he is someone to go to when there's no one else who can solve your problem.

Personality/Motivation: Normally humorous and light-hearted, he becomes very focused when it is clear that evil is afoot. He wants to make the world a better place, where kids and women can walk alone safely at night.

Quote: "There's always time for a martini."

Edit: Correct mistakes including having PRE power add to primary stat.

Looks good. When you said pulp, i expected to see Heroic level, not super, but I think this one certainly nails the pulp feel. Especially the language skills and odd professional skills for flavor, like Financier.

With the stats this guy has, he seems extremely frail. I think his strength is comparable to a 10 year old's. It's a good counterbalance to his incredible agility.

Is this guy the rich adventurer archetype? I don't know if 3 INT fits that well, if he is. Usually the adventurer guy is pretty quick witted and experienced. He'd usually have more presence and comeliness too.

With the stats this guy has, he seems extremely frail. I think his strength is comparable to a 10 year old's. It's a good counterbalance to his incredible agility.

Is this guy the rich adventurer archetype? I don't know if 3 INT fits that well, if he is. Usually the adventurer guy is pretty quick witted and experienced. He'd usually have more presence and comeliness too.

You're looking at the costs, not the values. He has 13 STR, which costs 3 points, and 23 DEX, which costs 39.

Looks good. When you said pulp' date=' i expected to see Heroic level, not super,[/quote']

Thanks. I struggled with this. I figure, though, that these are suppose to be 'world famous' adventurers who are the last hopes. For the most part, they don't have 'super' stats or abilities (I will probably lower the max skill roll to 16- instead of 18-). So, I still think this is more heroic than super.

Incidentally, I bought the 'Calm and Collected' to represent that he is never surprised and always in control of himself. Is limited Presence the way to do that?

Plucky

Charly Baltimore

Val** Char*** Cost
15** STR 5
18** DEX 24
15** CON 10
15** BODY 10
13** INT 3
14** EGO 8
10** PRE 0
14** COM 2
7/11** PD 4
7/11** ED 4
3** SPD 2
7** REC 2
34** END 2
34** STUN 3
8"** RUN 4
4"** SWIM 2
5"** LEAP 2
Characteristics Cost: 87

Cost** Power END
5** The Moon is round and bright.: Mental Defense (8 points total)* 0
Powers Cost: 5

Cost** Martial Arts Maneuver
4** Choke Hold: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +0 DCV, Grab One Limb; 2d6 NND*
4** Martial Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort*
4** Martial Strike: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 5d6 Strike*
Martial Arts Cost: 12

Cost** Skill
7** Acrobatics 15-*
2** Animal Handler (Canines) 11-*
7** Breakfall 15-*
5** Bribery 12-*
5** Climbing 14-*
5** Concealment 13-*
3** Contortionist 13-*
3** Deduction 12-*
3** Demolitions 12-*
11** Disguise 16-*
1** Forensic Medicine 8-*
6** Forgery (Documents) 14-*
9** Interrogation 14-*
1** Language: French (basic conversation)*
2** Language: German (fluent conversation)*
2** Language: Italian (fluent conversation)*
2** Language: Japanese (fluent conversation)*
2** Language: Russian (fluent conversation)*
5** Lipreading 13-*
9** Lockpicking 16-*
5** Mimicry 13-*
4** Penalty Skill Levels: +2 vs. Range Modifier with a tight group of attacks*
13** Shadowing 17-*
5** Security Systems 13-*
9** Stealth 16-*
6** TF: Common Motorized Ground Vehicles, Camels, Carts & Carriages, Equines, Two-Wheeled Motorized Ground Vehicles*
10** WF: Common Melee Weapons, Common Missile Weapons, Small Arms, Blowguns, Garrote, Nets, Off Hand*
5** Ventriloquism 13-*
Skills Cost: 147

Cost** Perk
10** Fringe Benefit: License to Kill*
Perks Cost: 10

Cost** Talent
3** Resistance (3 points)*
Talents Cost: 3

Cost** Equipment END
** .30-06 (Springfield M1903): (Total: 55 Active Cost, 14 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6+1, +1 STUN Multiplier (+1/4) (44 Active Points); STR Minimum 13 (STR Min. Cannot Add/Subtract Damage; -1), OAF (-1), 5 Charges (-3/4), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), Beam (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4) (Real Cost: 9) plus +1 OCV (5 Active Points); OAF (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4) (Real Cost: 2) plus +2 vs Range (6 Active Points); OAF (-1) (Real Cost: 3)* [5]
** .41 Magnum (S&W Model 57): Killing Attack - Ranged 1 1/2d6 (25 Active Points); STR Minimum 10 (STR Min. Cannot Add/Subtract Damage; -1), OAF (-1), 6 Charges (-3/4), Beam (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4)* [6]
** .41 Magnum (S&W Model 57): Killing Attack - Ranged 1 1/2d6 (25 Active Points); STR Minimum 10 (STR Min. Cannot Add/Subtract Damage; -1), OAF (-1), 6 Charges (-3/4), Beam (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4)* [6]
** Experimental Body Armor: Armor (4 PD/4 ED)* 0
Equipment costs shown above are for reference only, and are not included in Total Cost.

Val** Disadvantages
20** Hunted: Counter Spy Organizations from other governments 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)*
0** Normal Characteristic Maxima*
15** Psychological Limitation: Must learn about own past (Common, Strong)*
20** Psychological Limitation: Love United States/Protect America and its allies (Common, Total)*
5** Reputation: Blood-thirsty killer, invincible assassin, 8- (Extreme; Known Only To A Small Group)*
15** Mysterious Disadvantage*
Disadvantage Points: 75
Cost Summary:Base Points:190Disadvantage Points: 75Total Experience Available: 0Total Character Cost: 264Height: 1.68 mHair: BrownWeight: 50.00 kgEyes: BrownAppearance: Personality: Protect America and its allies against threats. Recovery your memory. Interestingly, more and more so now, when you are under great danger or duress, you started having snapshot, flashbacks of memories you do not recall. This has caused you to sometimes seek out danger unnecessarily.Quote:"Wow, I knew how to do that?"Background: Your own history is a mystery to you. While you can distinctively remember the past 5 years, everything prior to you finding yourself floating down Rhein River, badly injured, is blank. After being rescued by some kindly French farmers, you traveled to the United States in an attempt to find your past. Instead, you found yourself dodging assassins and hitmen. Eventually, the Special Projects Division (top secret agency within the US government) recovered you. Back 'home', you learned that you were a top (and 1 of only 3 female) agents for SPD. All the agents were required to go through an experimental, psychological conditioning program that automatically 'erase all memories' in case of imminent capture. Unfortunately, there is currently no known way to reverse the process, though the agency agreed to provide you with your files (heavily edited due to security reasons). Even now, you cannot remember your past except through half-remembered hazy dreams. The only strong emotion you've retained is the love for your country. That, and that SPD is the only family you know of now, convinced you to become an active agent again. There are more to this world than what 99.9% of the people realize and that is as it should be. Your job is, and has always been, to protect these people against those unknown and unknownable threats.Powers/Tactics: Campaign Use: 

You're looking at the costs' date=' not the values. He has 13 STR, which costs 3 points, and 23 DEX, which costs 39.[/quote']

No wonder it looked so unusual. That clears up my confusion.

Incidentally, I bought the 'Calm and Collected' to represent that he is never surprised and always in control of himself. Is limited Presence the way to do that?

In all the official supplements I've seen, it's done that way.

Here are a few HERO System pulp-era websites that might be of use to you, whether you want character archetypes, NPC writeups (including famous real and fictional characters of the era), period weapon and vehicle stats, or just genre and style inspiration. Note that some of this material dates from 4E HERO System, but the differences from 5E for a heroic-level campaign of this type are negligible:

Dany St. Pierre's Hero Pulp website, one of the best and most useful overall.

The Empire Club, Rob Petrone's website based on the organization introduced in Hero Games's Justice Incorporated pulp game. Thin on game stats, but good inspiration.

Thrilling True Tales, the pulp-era campaign run by Jesse Zwerling.

Amazing Adventures!, a HERO System campaign based on White Wolf's Adventure! campaign setting.

Since you're doing supernatural pulp, and your characters are pretty tough, how about this: the Creatures from Myth and Legend section of Michael Surbrook's fine website, "Surbrook's Stuff", has HERO writeups for various creatures from the Call of Cthulhu RPG.

Hope you find these useful. :)

Regarding the Charly Baltimore character: having a PC whose own past is a mystery can be a lot of fun if you have a player who's into that. I do think that the government brainwashing/conditioning thing is a little out of genre, though. Not only was behavioural psychology in its infancy in the pulp era and not part of the public consciousness, but the popular view of the US government by Americans was far more trusting - that kind of cynical manipulation of an agent just wasn't depicted.

The likelier causes of loss of memory would be amnesia due to some physical trauma (the ol' "hit your head" scenario), or actions by villains. In the latter case hypnosis or mesmerism would be the mechanisms of choice; those practices were less well understood, and all kinds of marvelous effects could be attributed to them. Witness Mandrake the Magician and his "gesturing hypnotically" to suddenly cause mass hallucinations. ;)

Here are a few HERO System pulp-era websites that might be of use to you' date=' whether you want character archetypes, NPC writeups (including famous real and fictional characters of the era), period weapon and vehicle stats, or just genre and style inspiration. [/quote']

Thanks!! This will help immensely!!!

I didn't think the characters are that 'combat tough' though. I guess I'll need to rethink some stuff.

Plucky

Regarding the Charly Baltimore character: having a PC whose own past is a mystery can be a lot of fun if you have a player who's into that. I do think that the government brainwashing/conditioning thing is a little out of genre, though. Not only was behavioural psychology in its infancy in the pulp era and not part of the public consciousness, but the popular view of the US government by Americans was far more trusting - that kind of cynical manipulation of an agent just wasn't depicted.

Actually, it wasn't so much cynical manipulation - if the agents forgot everything, the bad guys cannot 'mesmerize' the agents into giving secrets away. I agree that it does seem kinda bleak though. I will adapt the bump on the head idea (since this character has such strong willpower, especially against mesmerism). Thanks again!

Plucky

• 4 weeks later...

One character type that I might suggest you add to this mix is the "dashing Aviator/Aviatrix"; the brilliant flyer/mechanic/explorer. A female character based on Amelia Earhardt or Amy Johnson could be fun to add to a game, especially if you have a female player who might be interested in playing her ! Such a character could even be a "daredevil" in the literal sense, someone who went around doing stunt flying/ wingwalking displays at county fairs as well as setting records in their special plane. Even if you leave out the Jetpack, a character like Cliff Secord from the movie "The Rocketeer" might work well.