Ambrethel and the FHG

Citizen Keen

Is the Fantasy HERO Grimoire targeted at The Turakian Age setting, in much the same way that the USPDB was targeted at the Champions Universe? Or is the FHG very generic?

What I mean is, are the magic systems in FHG used in the Turakian Age? Or does the Turakian Age use systems different from the FHG?

Searched the forums, found no answers. If this has been answered, my apologies.

Re: Ambrethel and the FHG

I believe the grimoire was written for The Turakian Age but is generic enough that it can be used for any fantasy world. The spells in the grimoire are just power constructs which you can then plug in to the Turakian magic system, which I believe uses cost break multipliers.

Yes that is correct. It says in FHG that the spell system is built for use in the Turakian Age setting, but can be used/modified for any setting that has magic. The spell system consists of powers that commonly (but not all) contain these limitations: gestures, incantations, RSR (-1 per 10 Active points), and OAF expendable (spell components). One cool thing is that every spell has several variants listed in case you prefer a slightly tweeked version of the given spell.

I forgot to mention that the exact cost break multiplier is 1/3. Whatever the real cost of the spell ends up to be, multiply it by 1/3 and that is the REAL real cost your character has to pay for spells. I'm not sure why the magic system wasn't just set up as a multipower with common limitations. Maybe the makers thought it to be too restrictive.

I'm not sure why the magic system wasn't just set up as a multipower with common limitations. Maybe the makers thought it to be too restrictive.

I think it is because Mr. Long wanted spellcasters to be able to cast and have active more than one spell at a time. Because of some of the active point costs of many of the spells it would not be possible to have 300 point multipower reserves for most 75+75 characters, even with all the limitations.

The spells in the FHG are the spells commonly used in the Turakian Age. The FHG briefly summarizes the magic system of Ambrethel; The Turakian Age has more detail on the subject.

TA doesn't reprint spells from the FHG, for obvious reasons. However, it does have an additional 100 spells not found in the FHG -- spells that are too setting-specific for a general-utility book like the FHG.

Significantly different. In fact, I doubt either will use any spells out of the FHG. The FHG is designed for traditional High Fantasy "D&D"-style worlds where spellcasters are relatively common, are powerful combatants, and can wield magic fairly effortlessly.

As a Swords And Sorcery setting, the Valdorian Age needs a magic system tailored to the S&S aesthetic: spells are harder (and riskier) to cast; wizards aren't nearly as effective as frontline combatants; and so on. Some concessions have to be made because this is an RPG we're talking about, not a novel, but nevertheless the magic isn't going to be anywhere close to as flashy, combat-effective, or easy to use as in the Turakian Age.

Similarly, Tuala Morn is much more of a Low Magic setting than TA -- the magic there is often a subtle, flavorful thing, not so much a thing the PCs can manipulate at will. There will definitely be wizards, witches, druids, all sorts of stuff, but their powers aren't going to be anything like what's in the FHG -- they'll be more "traditional," and more flavorful.

All this means, of course, that both books are going to need lengthy "magic system and spells" chapters. But I was able to fit 100 spells into TA easily, so coming up with magic systems and plenty of spells for VA and TM isn't going to be that much of a problem. :hex:

I forgot to mention that the exact cost break multiplier is 1/3. Whatever the real cost of the spell ends up to be' date=' multiply it by 1/3 and that is the REAL real cost your character has to pay for spells. I'm not sure why the magic system wasn't just set up as a multipower with common limitations. Maybe the makers thought it to be too restrictive.[/quote']

I can't find it, but I remember that in one of the Fantasy books Mr. Long mentioned that Frameworks were removed for simplicity, or something of that sort. Straight division by 3 is certainly simpler while still allowing many spells to be known.

I am working entirely from a vague memory, though, so I may be mistaking my interpretation for what was actually said.

All this means' date=' of course, that both books are going to need lengthy "magic system and spells" chapters. But I was able to fit 100 spells into TA easily, so coming up with magic systems and plenty of spells for VA and TM isn't going to be that much of a problem. [/quote']

YAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!

Either of these looks a lot more like what I'm after, rather than traditional FRPG fare. I'll probably have all the basics worked out for my own world before these come out (even as slow as I'm going with it), but other people's insights always help....

YAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!

Either of these looks a lot more like what I'm after, rather than traditional FRPG fare. I'll probably have all the basics worked out for my own world before these come out (even as slow as I'm going with it), but other people's insights always help....

While I basically enjoyed the treatment of the genre in Turakian Age, I agree that I am looking forward to the other fantasy settings substantially more. More accurately, I'm looking forward to Tuala Morn: I'm not as interested in the Sword & Sorcery style.

Which is not to say I won't buy it, of course.

Significantly different. ... As a Swords And Sorcery setting' date=' the Valdorian Age needs a magic system tailored to the S&S aesthetic: spells are harder (and riskier) to cast; wizards aren't nearly as effective as frontline combatants; and so on. Some concessions have to be made because this is an RPG we're talking about, not a novel, but nevertheless the magic isn't going to be anywhere close to as flashy, combat-effective, or easy to use as in the Turakian Age.[/quote']

Excellent!

I'm really looking forward to seeing a detailed Hero take on a Sword & Sorcery Conanesque Hyborian-like setting with its rare and highly "Limited" yet quite powerful magic.

High Fantasy magic is a lot of fun but Sword & Sorcery magic is quite flavourful in its own way.

BTW, FWIW, I think that the recent d20 Conan game (especially the Scrolls of Skelos book) has actually done a great job of capturing the Sword & Sorcery feel of magic. I'm hoping that the Valdorian Age will do the same for the Fantasy Hero System but even more so because of the more flexible underlying game system.

I definitely agree re: the Conan RPG. I think that Paul Tucker (who's a big Hero fan, BTW) did a great job with the magic system in the core book, thereby laying out a foundation for Scrolls and so on.

I think Allen -- who's got primary responsibility for writing VA -- will do a fantastic job with it. He's a big S&S fan, and he and I have discussed the subgenre and VA extensively. He's got some great ideas percolating around in his head, and I have no doubt they'll translate into setting book that's every bit as good as TA, but very, very different in feel and flavor.