Weapon Style Creation

Sicktabou

Hi guys,

I am running a Fantasy Hero campaign and I would like to create some combat style to differentiate between melee characters (heavy fighters, light fighters, two-weapon style, weapon and shield, etc). It seems logical to use the Martial Art system to incorporate such new combat styles in my game, but strangely, there are no discussion in either the basic Hero book or the fantasy hero on how to put a value to a specific martial art manoeuver.

I assume that it’s all well explained in the ‘Ultimate Martial Artist’, but I really don’t want to purchase a new book (another $30) just for something that should have been incorporated in the basic book to start with (or at least in Fantasy hero, to describe how to create weapon style for different type of characters).

Is it possible to get a quick guideline on how to create new Martial Manoeuvers so that my new creation be balanced with everything else in my setting? I tried to copy existing martial art manoeuvers with the ‘power system’ and my success was...less that acceptable.

Thanks a lot and I really appreciate your help/suggestions.

Re: Weapon Style Creation

I am running a Fantasy Hero campaign and I would like to create some combat style to differentiate between melee characters (heavy fighters, light fighters, two-weapon style, weapon and shield, etc). It seems logical to use the Martial Art system to incorporate such new combat styles in my game, but strangely, there are no discussion in either the basic Hero book or the fantasy hero on how to put a value to a specific martial art manoeuver.

-snip-

Is it possible to get a quick guideline on how to create new Martial Manoeuvers so that my new creation be balanced with everything else in my setting? I tried to copy existing martial art manoeuvers with the ‘power system’ and my success was...less that acceptable.

You use the word "style." And also "power system?" What do you mean by those? Are you looking for new martial maneuvers (e.g. marital strike)? New marital art styles (e.g. karate)? Or some kind of unique, power like abilities for different characters types (e.g. deadly blow)?

If it is martial maneuvers, maybe you could give an example? I think that most offensive and defensive moves are already covered, though you may have to think about them creatively.

If it is a new martial art, that would be easy enough. And you wouldn't have to be too concerned with balance, as PC will have to pay points for what they get. Maybe the two sword character's fighting style relies on offense and quickness. So he would by lots of martial strikes, maybe some levels of lightning reflexes, and avoid defensive moves like block and dodge. Maybe the heavy fighter goes the other way, with lots of defensive moves.

If you meant power like abilities, again, it would help if you could give some examples of what you are looking for.

And by the way, you will never, ever regret getting a copy of the Ultimate Martial Artist if you plan to use martial arts in your game. It is easily one of the most useful books Hero puts out.

Sorry for the confusion. Actually, I am looking forward to create new martial manoeuvers (like offensive strike) to reprensent the different fighting styles of melee characters.

Unfortunately, it is not explained (in either the basic Hero of Fantasy book) how to put a point value to specific manoeuvers.

Any guideline on how to value those?

I think the creation of new manuevers is covered in the Ultimate Martial Artist (as you feared). I have never found the need create new manuevers, so I have never used them. Sorry I can't help with that.

However, if you would list some of the ideas you are looking to simulate, I'd love to help...

I think the creation of new manuevers is covered in the Ultimate Martial Artist (as you feared).

It is in the UMA. Unfortunately, I'm in England, and only have FREd, FH, and SH with me, otherwise I'd help.

However, what's the rules on Intellectual Property here? That's one of the selling points of UMA, and to post it might make Steve angry.

And you wouldn't like Steve when he's angry...

It is in the UMA. Unfortunately, I'm in England, and only have FREd, FH, and SH with me, otherwise I'd help.

However, what's the rules on Intellectual Property here? That's one of the selling points of UMA, and to post it might make Steve angry.

And you wouldn't like Steve when he's angry...

As Steve said in another thread, don't post them.

4th Edition Ninja Hero had rules for doing what you are after also.

Or you could just make something up based loosely on the rules. HERO system's great strength is that it allows you to do just that. If, at some later point, you do get a hold of the "official" rules, you can adopt them or not, at your option.

Dude, just buy UMA. It's been out for a while, so you might be able to find it cheap on eBay or some such. Better to buy it from an FLGS. As has been said, it's easily one of the more useful books in the product line. They just need to make a second edition, to incorporate some of the great ideas they've since put into other products, such as Fantasy Hero and the like.