Clairvoyance and Memorization

Osprey

A Villian wants to clairvoyantly monitor our hero(es).

He would be able to see them at any time or place (within range, of course) but not know where they are (unless they are standing under a street sign marked "5th & Main," etc.).

I'm thinking of importing "Memorized Locations" from the Teleport Power.

This would (at least back in BBB) allow the memorization of people as well as places.

Opinions?? :hex:

Re: Spying on the heroes

How about MIND SCAN (only for conducting Telepathy) and TELEPATHY(only surface thoughts- what they see)?

Seeing through the eyes of the heroes is NOT the goal here.

We want him to see THEM.

Mind Scan would reveal their location. Something I don't want.

My other option was "Tagging" the heroes with a loud signal that could be sensed only clairvoyantly.

Re: Spying on the heroes

However' date=' otherwise, the effects are identical to a Mind Scan. Just put a limitation "Only finds target for purposes of Clairvoyance" on it.[/quote']

Now there's something I hadn't thought of.:cool:

:neptune::ninja:

Re: Clairvoyance and Memorization

What is the character's method of tracking the characters? And is there any way that a character with some appropriate sense could detect the method? Answering these questions might help determining how to construct the power.

It might require two different powers, mindscan for people and traditional clairvoyance with memorized locations imported from teleport works as good as any other mechanic. I'd probably set them up in multipower too.

The Zelazny 'Amber' books had a couple of things with similar abilities to what you are describing. One was 'Trumps', which were pictutes of the royal family and important places that were part Tarot cards but empowered to allow communication and travel to (and from if it was a person) the object of the picture. Another one was called just 'blue crystals' that marked someone with a particular energy signature that could through the use of another blue crystal be used to home in on the holder of another one. Someone proficient in the use of Trumps could evesdrop like the NSA can to phone calls.

I've written up Trump like comunications similar to a Teleportation/EDM "gate" with IPE (so only the user of the Trump and his target can see through it, or only the user if he just wants to spy). I've also done it with Mind Scan.

As far as simple spying, I'm leaning toward the idea of importing Teleport's Fixed and Floating Locations to Clairsentience for purposes of locking on to specific people, places and objects. This might prove a bit unbalancing, however, and the GM would need to take steps that it didn't get out hand.

You could say that you couldn't buy Fixed (1 point) locations for unwilling people or objects that belong to someone else, and that Floating (5 point) locations can be detected and erased somehow (and follow the same rules for setting up a Floating Locaton).

Glad to see you back, DR. I was wondering what took you so long to chime in.

(Yes, yours was one of the opinions I was looking forward too) :wink:

Your point against Mind Scan for places and objects is valid.

As for unbalancing, Well, that always rests with a GM in the end.

I figure that the "Marking" of a target would require touch and other elements (though not necessarily permission). I figure detection would always be possible with the right sense.

---

I've also thought that when Clair is used to simulate Astral Projection, the Projector can use his fixed location just as a teleporter would.

I wouldn't allow a character with Teleport to spend one point and have one of his enemies as a Fixed Location. That would give him too much of an advantage, even if he arrives at 1/2 DCV (the surprise of seeing him appear might cover that, at least the first few times or if it doesn't do it often). Even more with Clairsentience, because the target can't attack, observe or otherwise affect the character.

I might allow it between a certain pair or group who all had the same ability, but never with a one way street.

Re: Clairvoyance and Location Memorization

I wouldn't allow a character with Teleport to spend one point and have one of his enemies as a Fixed Location. That would give him too much of an advantage, even if he arrives at 1/2 DCV (the surprise of seeing him appear might cover that, at least the first few times or if it doesn't do it often). Even more with Clairsentience, because the target can't attack, observe or otherwise affect the character.

I might allow it between a certain pair or group who all had the same ability, but never with a one way street.

I must agree.

When I shifted topic to "astral teleportation", I didn't see this as a possibility. I'm seeing clair as the best way to handle two different character's effects.