Hit Locations Halved When Target Stunned?

Hi Herodom: I was reading FREd the other day and noticed that hit locations in the Heroic genre are halved when the target is stunned. Couple comments/questions...

1) Is this change new to FREd? My group never played with that rule...we used the half DCV but NOT the half hit location penalties.

2) Are folks who are using this rule feel that it is balanced? Boy it seems like it could be abused. As soon as someone is stunned you just cap em' in the ole noggin'... :ugly:

Just curious...

Re: Hit Locations Halved When Target Stunned?

I think it is new to 5th, as I don't recall it from previous.

Personally, I don't think it's unbalanced. Sure you can make an easier time of hitting someone in the head, but not much of one. In Heroic level games DCVs will still be in the 4-6 range, giving you a 2-3 bonus when they are halved, but you still get a -4 to hit the head.

As far as I can recall...it is not new at all...though I would not be suprised if not everyone played it that way...yes it is easier to head shot on a defensless target, I've not seen it be a game breaker, But I do tend to run on the grim side of the rainbow...in heroic scale combats most fights are swing away till you get a stun result then throw your "sunday punch" as a head shot as often as not. It is especially not unballencing when I run because I also have no problem with levels vs hit locs so many heros can pick their locations anyway (+8 with combat, only vs Hit locs -1=32 points, most will spend less...)

I seem to remember a GM house-ruling that hit location penalties were halved due to being grappled, so I'm not surprised, and actually quite pleased to discover that this is already in place for being Stunned. This is a good rule, even if a bit fiddly (in terms of being the kind of thing likely to be forgotten in the heat of the moment). ;)

I know for sure that halving the OCV penalty was in 4th Edition for when you had surprised the target or when he was helpless. I believe that this included Stun, but I don't remember it the section specifically saying this.

Thanks for the replies guys. I opened my 4th ed book and this is all I can find about it. This is the exact verbiage:

Whenever the target is not "in combat" (he is taken by total surprise), the placed shot modifiers are halved.

It is up to interpretation. :(

In my games I am not going to use this rule as I think it would be abused. In my mind it allows Heroic level PC a MUCH easier shot at the head.

Here is my simple logic...

Let's say the attacker is OCV 6. The defender is DCV 6. Without being stunned said person needs an 11- to hit and a 3- to hit in the head. When the defender is stunned (DCV 3) the target needs a 10- to get a head shot. Ouch. Too easy to kill someone IMHO.

Thanks guys! :)

Thanks for the replies guys. I opened my 4th ed book and this is all I can find about it. This is the exact verbiage:

Whenever the target is not "in combat" (he is taken by total surprise), the placed shot modifiers are halved.

It is up to interpretation. :(

In my games I am not going to use this rule as I think it would be abused. In my mind it allows Heroic level PC a MUCH easier shot at the head.

Here is my simple logic...

Let's say the attacker is OCV 6. The defender is DCV 6. Without being stunned said person needs an 11- to hit and a 3- to hit in the head. When the defender is stunned (DCV 3) the target needs a 10- to get a head shot. Ouch. Too easy to kill someone IMHO.

Thanks guys! :)

But both realistic and cinimatic.

Also remember that only the damage that gets through defenses would be affected by any location's modifiers. If the bullet wouldn't penetrate chest armor, it wouldn't penetrate his helmet armor if they are the same value (though it's likely to hurt more if STUN gets through).