Gem/Focus Magic System

Guest C_Zeree

Zoth, to ask specifically, using your system, what would happen if I have a mage with four gems, and I spend the points to use them and unlock their secrets, and then some gnome comes up and takes them from me, and I never get them back? I use gnome as an example because that happened a couple times when I played that 'other' game with gnomes in it and took my stuff, once my spellbook that the DM ended up deciding that I never got back.

Sure its far off, but this situation could happen, and if I lost those four gems permanently, what are my characters options?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alter managen idea

Originally posted by ShadowRaptor

Zoth, to ask specifically, using your system, what would happen if I have a mage with four gems, and I spend the points to use them and unlock their secrets, and then some gnome comes up and takes them from me, and I never get them back? I use gnome as an example because that happened a couple times when I played that 'other' game with gnomes in it and took my stuff, once my spellbook that the DM ended up deciding that I never got back.

Sure its far off, but this situation could happen, and if I lost those four gems permanently, what are my characters options?

Ok first off on my managen system the only thing the player pays for is skill(s) and Endurance Reserve. Each Color of managen will have the limit RSR-Channeling (Color Type)Managen -1 per 5 AP (-1), also each spell will have a skill level Requirement. All spell will have high end costs.

If the mage loses the gem he does not lose any character points but he will have to find a new gem with the spells he wants to cast. I thinking I will have a magic ability called alter managen that would allow the mage to alter the characteristics of the managen and endow the managen with the desired spell. Of course this will not be an easy feat to do but it would let the player have some recourse if he lost his favorite gem. I might make it where it will be easier to endow a managen with a spell you have successfully cast before.

You might have got some of my managen post mixed up with my replies to Materi or shaping stones. :D

If so I’m sorry I should have been using titles more

I will go back and edit my post to include titles to clear up confusion.

Managen Spell Guidelines Review

Here is what I was thinking for guidelines for spells

Spell Guidelines

Glowing Gems

Active Cost around 20 or less

Increased END x3

Skill Requirements 9-10

Glittering Gems

Active Cost around 40 or less

Increased END x 2-3

Skill Requirements 12-13

Sparkling Gems

Active Cost around 50 and over

Increased END x 2

Skill Requirements 14-16

So what do you think? Are the required skill levels too high or low?

Should I make the End cost more?

Remember all the caster is gone pay is the cp for the skill levels and buy a mana pool END Reserve. When he finds a managen gem that has a spell he wants he just makes the skill roll and pays the END cost.

I would think that the more powerful the spell the more taxing it would be on the body and therefore the more END it would cost to cast that spell.

Now that I see that the characters don't pay any points for gems in your system Zoth, and the characters only pay the points for the skills and END reserve, that makes a lot more sense. Way cool.

RE: Managen, and End Reserve Q?

When the base cost is only 1 or 2 Increased END x2 makes the end cost only 2-4 but when the base cost is 6-7 this makes the end cost 12-14.

I just though that having a Increased END x3 with a base cost of 6 making the spells end cost 18 was too much, but then I guess as a part of this is I need to look at how much their Endurance Reserve should be. If I do this then I guess I need also look at mana levels and what recovery rate I should use of each mana level. I plan on their being 4 mana levels; High, Normal, Low, Very Low. Each level the recovery rate will get lower.

Z.O.T.H “QUESTION (Y/N)â€

Mana Levels option suggestion

Maybe different people can end up being able to acquire or tap into different mana levels and this could be all based on a Perk or Talent that a mage has. Based on how many points invested into the perk/talent you could end up with different kinda of mages that way.

I could see a fighter type that might just dabble in some minor magics/gems pick the lowest while a real mage user that is really focused in magic would pay the most so have the fastest recovery rate.

What do you think? If you already stated this then I overlooked it but its late right now.

Oh, have you worked on any of the other spell like abilities of your other gems?

Managen and the Math

Ok after looking at the math here is what I came up with.

As far as the spells go they have so many heavy limits that the most the character would have to pay if he had pay for them would be 1-2 CP. So the spells are not the big issues they cost so little that there are limits that don’t even help lower the cost.

What the character really gets is a 30-70 point mulitpower with the versatility of a variable power pool with the “can only change in given circumstanceâ€.

Now if, if the GM would actually let you buy a VPP that had 70 point waving the max of 50 rule then the character would have to pay 70 points for this.

Pool cost=70, Control cost=30, limit (-1/2), total=70 CP

Now I know a VPP with that many AP would really be worth a few more point then the math shows but even so it kind of gives an idea what’s going on.

Now with a RSR -1 per 10 AP the character would have to pay 13-15 CP to work off the -6 to -7 penalty that he would have on a 60-70 AP spell. Now to get a reliable 14 skill the cost would be as follows: on INT the character would have to pay 19/21 CP at INT 10, 17/19 CP at INT 15, and 15/17 CP at INT 18.

Now with 9 skill to master every managen the character would have spend 153-171 CP

So I was thinking I might should drop the Increased END and maybe even lower the RSR penalty.

Z.O.T.H “PERFORMING ANALYSISâ€

Re: Managen Spell Guidelines Review

Originally posted by Zoth

Remember all the caster is gone pay is the cp for the skill levels and buy a mana pool END Reserve. When he finds a managen gem that has a spell he wants he just makes the skill roll and pays the END cost.

If this is all a person spends points on, then where does the VPP comes into play???

Ok after looking at the math here is what I came up with.

What the character really gets is a 30-70 point mulitpower with the versatility of a variable power pool with the “can only change in given circumstanceâ€.

Now if, if the GM would actually let you buy a VPP that had 70 point waving the max of 50 rule then the character would have to pay 70 points for this.

Now I know a VPP with that many AP would really be worth a few more point then the math shows but even so it kind of gives an idea what’s going on.

Now with a RSR -1 per 10 AP the character would have to pay 13-15 CP to work off the -6 to -7 penalty that he would have on a 60-70 AP spell. Now to get a reliable 14 skill the cost would be as follows: on INT the character would have to pay 19/21 CP at INT 10, 17/19 CP at INT 15, and 15/17 CP at INT 18.

Now with 9 skill to master every managen the character would have spend 153-171 CP

So I was thinking I might should drop the Increased END and maybe even lower the RSR penalty.

Z.O.T.H “PERFORMING ANALYSISâ€

Just because the numbers look kinda scary now, that doesn't mean they are. Keep the RSR and the Increased END because that is how magic will feel in your world. If you want the spells to cost more points than just lower the penalty costs without taking away the END and skill requirement.

I am seeing that your managen skills cost a lot more points than a regular skill, basing it off the INT of the person at the time he gets the skill. I understand why...a smarter person should pay less than a stupid person if they want to manipulate magic...but there will be people that will argue that it could be too unfair. But who says life is fair, ya know.

Now, as I understand it, if I was to make a character for your game so I can use these gems, all I would do is spend points on some of the 9 managen skills and also a END reserve to power my spells. I want Red for fire, one for ice, and the other for healing. I have a INT of 20 (I am a genius dude :D ). I want to have the Red at 14-, the Ice at 12-, and the Healing at 13-. I want to have a high mana recharge, the highest you have available so I can keep kicking butt, and I want a decent END reserve, maybe 20 or 30, or whatever sounds good in your game. I know the skills are actually different but this is an example here. How many total character points would all this cost to start with?

Then, why are your managen skills so costly? I know magic is rare but to spend over 100 cp on a skill to just get decent with it is too much I think.

Re: Managen Spell Guidelines Review

If this is all a person spends points on, then where does the VPP comes into play???

I was just showing that in a magic system that has gems based on mulitpowers that a character finds rather then pay CP for then the gems could be compared as far as versatility is concerned to a system that uses a VPP.

As far a skills go a Power Skill is a (CHAR/5) + 9 (3/2). 3 CP to buy the skill at (INT/5) +9 and 2 CP every point the skill increases over the starting value. So the higher your INT the better your starting skill.

The RSR (Usually Power Skill) limit normally has a -1 per 10 AP penalty. In my managen system I'm just naming the power skill

"Channeling (Color Type) Manage" and making them buy a power skill for each type of managen.

So if you have a spell that has a 60 AP then you normally get a -6 penalty, this is usually the penalty most magic system I have seen use but you could use a lower/higher penalty if you wanted to.

Z.O.T.H “OUTPUT DISPLAYEDâ€

Guest C_Zeree

Sorry been traveling for a couple of days, need to do some catching up.

Originally posted by Markdoc

Actually I kind of like the independant limitation - it changes the flavour of the game and makes the gems very much more the focus of play.

A player who lost a gem they crafted might be pissed off, but by the same token, they could find or steal someone else's, so it would balance out (indeed, knowing player characters, it would more than balance out).

This is the feel and flexibility I was going for, when designing the Channeling system. :)

Shaping stones are something different. They are something worthy of guarding, and worth adventuring for. Some shaping stones are whispers in legends, with powers to shake the foundation of empires.

what I would like to do is somehow take the elements of both your systems and just put them in my game. I am not planning on starting my game for a good month or two (plus the lack of players does affect when it will begin)... I like both of them and when I someday use them I will let both of you know how they pan out with my group.

Guest C_Zeree

Let me say how much I enjoy seeing our post have a "...last page" listing on the boards. We have bounced around a lot of good ideas, and I know Channeling has seen improvement because of it. :)

Some thoughts Zoth:

I don’t follow your math here. A VPP with 70 Pool points would need a control cost of 35 points. Using the RSR lim of –1/2 this drops the control to ~23 points, for a grand total VPP cost of 93 CP.

A VPP that only cost 70 would only have (doing math) 52 points in its Pool. Limiting the Active cap of powers in the VPP to 52.

I would have qualms about dropping the RSR penalty. The only thing assuaging my fears is that you do require a skill for each kind of managen.

You have to take in the versatility of owning the managen. If the setting was modern or sci-fi I would have less of a problem since you can have a characters pick up an AR-16/plasma rifle/holo-emitter/shield belt/what-have-you and be as versatile as a managen user with a free MP. However, in a FH game, a fighter has his weapons and armor, possibly a magic weapon that can do cool stuff. The 2d6 HKA sword and 1d6 RKA bow wielding fighter, even with the OCV bonuses, will not stand up against a Red managen wielding mage. Dropping the RSR to –1 per –10 AP gives you a mage who can fling 60AP fireball RKA’s for 21 points at a 12- (8 Points for the 18 INT and 13 points for the red managen skill based on INT). Tack on to that the other spells he has stored in the gem. It won’t matter if they have to pay 65 points for their familiarity in 5 different color of gems, it’s the power of one gem that can upset the balance. I may be a naysayer.

Still I’d love to play your system as it stands to see how things stack up.

Manage-Decided RSP Penaltys

I also enjoy developing these magic systems :D

I have decided that I will base the RSR penalty on the type of Manage.

White (Life-force, Animals, Plants), Gold (Mind and Thought, Emotions), Purple (Ether, Mana, Pure Magical Effect) I will have a RSR penalty -1 per 10.

Indigo (Dimension, Space and Time) I will have a RSR penalty -1 per 5. Dimension magic could miss up my game if it is not hard to use.

The other colors I will have a RSR penalty -1 per 15 or 20.

BTW guys I decided to split white manage into White Managen (Life-force, Animals, Plants) and Grey Managen (Spirit and Supernatural) It just would have been too many spells for one gem.

Also might make white’s RSR penalty -1 per 5 also.

BTW as you may have seen I have a websight I'm gone post the manage magic system and my game world.

Telsendalay

http://www.angelfire.com/hero/tel/

Z.O.T.H “Decision decidedâ€

Guest C_Zeree

What new developments do you have written down for your Channeling system C_Z?

The biggest change is the schizm of the two philosophies. The spiritual Channelers developing a far more intensive use of shaping stones, modeled through a VPP. While the rational Channelers dabble in the art and learn to use a few stones, designed using an MP. I want to write more, "finalizing" it.

Unfortunately having a job and trying to obtain your master's degree at the same time sux! I have no personal time, what is not spent being social with my friends goes to homework, so writing has taken the back burner. :(

It doesn't help I have been putting of doing a large term paper. Closure for Channeling might not come until May, when the semester ends. ::sigh::

talent's Enchant Mana Gem, est.

I have worked on how I’m gone do Enchanting. I have decided that I would make them talents.

I don’t want them as skill because I don’t want them easy to learn after the game starts and I don’t want the pc improving their odds.

Also I have finished the spell Endow Spirit.

Now I just need to decided what size End

Reserve I want use for the mana pool and what REC I want to use for normal mana level.

I’m kind of at a lost with this one.

Enchant Mana Gem

This talent enables the enchanter to create mana gems from gems that have been specially

prepared. The preparations includes amongst other things crafting the gem into round or oval

shapes and polishing or faceting the gem to bring out it's transparency or translucent. The type of

gem determines the color of the mana gem produced and the size and number of flaws determine

whether it will be a glowing, glittering, or sparkling gem.

A glowing mana gems takes a seed gem of 600 credits, glittering gems takes a seed gem of

900 credits, and a sparkling gem takes a seed gem of 1200 credits. The enactment takes mana and

must be crafted in a normal or higher mana level. At the end of the enactment the enchanter must

make an EGO roll of 12- or the gem is destroyed!

The first level of this talent enables the enchanter to construct a glowing mana gem. The

gem takes a few days to craft and the enchanter must have a mana pool of 4 or higher. The second

level of this talent enables the enchanter to construct a glittering mana gem. The gem takes about

a week to craft and the enchanter must have a mana pool of 6 or higher The third level of this

talent enables the enchanter to construct a sparkling mana gem. The gem takes

two weeks to craft and the enchanter must have a mana pool of 10 or higher

Enchant Mana Gem Cost:

3 Character Points for First level (Major Transform-2d6 (30),

Limited Target (-1), Concentration-unaware (-3/4), Need normal mana area (-1/2),

Char Roll (-1/2), Side Effects (-1/2), Extra Time (2-5 days) (-4&amp&frac12),

Mana pool of 4 (-1/4);

5 Character Points for Second level (Major Transform-3d6 (45),

Concentration-unaware (-3/4), Extra Time (1 week) (-4&amp&frac12), Char Roll (-1/2),

Need normal mana area (-1/2), Mana pool of 6 (-1/4), Side Effects (-1/2),

Limited Target (-1);

8 Character Points for Third level (Major Transform-5d6 (75),

Concentration-unaware (-3/4), Mana pool of 10 (-1/4), Limited Target (-1) ,

Char Roll (-1/2), Side Effects (-1/2), Need normal mana area (-1/2),

Extra Time (2 week) (-4&amp&frac12) ).

Gem Requirements: Glowing: gem value 600 credits; Glittering: gem value 900 credits;

Sparkling: gem value 1200 credits

Attune Mana Gem

This Talent enables the enchanter to attune an existing mana gem to endow the gem with

a spell it never had before. The spell enchanter must be of the same Influence as the gem's

color and meet the GM approval. Attune gems is a risky prospect the enchanter must make an

EGO roll of 8- or the gem is destroyed! The enactment takes mana and must be crafted in a

normal or higher mana level. The must have a mana pool of 10 or higher and skill at channeling

the color of gem he is attuning. It takes a few days for the enchanter to attune a gem.

This talent can not be used to attune a gem with the spell Endow Spirit.

Attune Mana Gem Cost:

2 Character Points (Major Transform-1d6 (15), Limited Target (-1), Char Roll (-1 &amp&frac12),

Concentration-unaware (-3/4), Extra Time (1-2 days) (-4), Side Effects (-1/2),

Need normal mana area (-1/2), Mana pool of 4 (-1/4)).

Endow Spirit   Major Transform-5d6 (75), Limited Target (-1),

Absorbers the purple mana gem used to cast spell! (-1),

Focus: (OAF)-mana gem with desired spell (-1/4),

Increased END x2 (-1/2),

*Independent (-2), Concentration ½ DCV (-1/4), Focus: (OAF) (-1),

Gestures-both hands (-1/2), Extra Time-Delayed Phase (-1/4),

RSR-Channeling Silver Mana Gems -1 per 15 AP (-1/4),

Gestures: Creation and Force

Active Cost: (75), Real Cost: (9), END: (14)

To cast this spell the caster performs the gestures to channel creation and force energy while

concentrating on the right mindset to call these energies. This spell lets the caster endow his spirit

with the with the ability to cast a spell using true magic. The caster choose what spell he wishes

do endow but he must have a mana gem with the spell he wishes when he cast this spell. Only

one spell can be endowed per casting. When the spell is done the caster buys the spell

without the Limitations; Independent (-2), Focus: (OAF) (-1), RSR-Channeling Silver Mana

Gems -1 per 15 AP (-1/4). The caster no long needs to use a mana gem to cast the spell nor

is the spell a part of a multipower. At the GM' discretion the player could add a few advantages

or limitations as long as the spell remains close to the original. This spell taxes the gem used to

cast it so much that the gem crumbles to dust when the spell is done!

The GM may let gems found in nature be enchanted with this spell, but no gem can be bestowed

with this spell using the Talent Attune Mana Gem. Also this spell can not be Endowed.

Originally posted by Mavnn

Looks good, but I'm puzzled by the Ego roll 11- and Ego roll 8- comments. Shouldn't it be straight Ego roll and a Ego roll -3?

Michael

Thanks.

Yes I think you might be right FREd seemed kind of ambiguous to me on char rolls :D would the points remain the same?

Guest C_Zeree

Managen Enchant Thoughts

Zoth,

Enchant Mana Gem

This talent enables the enchanter to create mana gems from gems that have been specially prepared. The enactment takes mana and must be crafted in a normal or higher mana level. At the end of the enactment the enchanter must

make an EGO roll of 12- or the gem is destroyed!

The first level of this talent enables the enchanter to construct a glowing mana gem. The gem takes a few days to craft and the enchanter must have a mana pool of 4 or higher. The second level of this talent enables the enchanter to construct a glittering mana gem. The gem takes about a week to craft and the enchanter must have a mana pool of 6 or higher The third level of this talent enables the enchanter to construct a sparkling mana gem. The gem takes two weeks to craft and the enchanter must have a mana pool of 10 or higher.

I agree Mavnn about the EGO rolls, but you have addressed that. I thought I understood your mana pool idea, but I guess I am lost. I thought it had 4 levels, how does this convert to your point scale?

Enchant & Attune Qs:

1) What is the BODY of the gems your Transform is going up against? Are you assuming all gems have a BODY of 1? This way the amount of BODY you have to do with the transform is really only affected by the points you want to instill. I don’t know the conversion factor, FREd is not with me, but you probably already checked the transform against the points required.

2) The method with which the gem can “heal†the transform damage should be put in the description. It would probably suffice to say casting an effective Dispel will heal the managen back to it pre-transformed state.

3) Are the side effects the fact if the roll fails the gem shatters, or something worse for the –1/2 lim?

4) Need normal mana area? Can you only enchant them in certain locales?

Endow Spirit Q:

The characters gain the ability through XP, and they need to pay for a transform? The transform is used to give them the initial spell ability and the XP is spent to make it permanent?

Musing, sorry if I missed something. My mind has been, and still partly is, on other things, but if I stay with the work too long, I’ll go mad.

Re: Managen Enchant Thoughts

Obviously I have some things I need add to clarify hehe but that’s why I’m posting my ideas here. :D

Originally posted by C_Zeree

I thought I understood your mana pool idea, but I guess I am lost. I thought it had 4 levels, how does this convert to your point scale?

I do plan on only having 4 mana levels; high, normal, low and, depleted. The mana pool thou is what I’m calling the caster’s Endurance Reserve. :D

Enchant & Attune Qs:

1.) Yes the gem I think would be about 2 body but I was really going buy how much points where being installed in the gem. Its ((points installed – limts) /5)).

2.) Well I need a foot note that will say the way the talent works is permanent.

3.) I look at it as “Transform gem into dustâ€. The limt might be too high for some gems but for other it sound about right so in the sprit of thing that what I settled on.

4.) You need normal or high mana area, there just isn’t enough mana other wise.

Endow Spirit Q:

1.) yes I need put in there that they must spend the xp for the spell

Also the way I see it talents are kind in-between as FREd points out skill and powers. They appear to work different form both in the book, so I’m gone make mine work different in the fact that the transform is permanent and if after they spend the required time and they make the EGO roll then the transform happens automatically.

Good stuff, but why the EGO roll in the first place?

I want there to be some chance of failure and i want it to be risky for Attune Mana Gem.

I use EGO because to me the mage is using will to pull in te mana and shape a spell.

Mana Levels and "Mana Reserve" Endurance Reservehere is the last part of my magic system and now that I have some idea how I want haddle it the only thing left is playtesting (yeah thats likely), tweaking, writing some more spells, finishing wild mana gems and star mana gems."Mana Reserve" Endurance Reserve.

The Endurance Reserve has the following statistics and limitations:

The mage can buy a reserve up to about 60 points.

The Recovery can be up to about 8 End. The REC has the

following limitations: REC rate is based on mana level (-&frac12),

so is 60 points and a max of 5 rec sound right? look below to see the rec rate for each mana levelMana Levels
  Mana Level End Res Areal Rec Personal Rec
  High 400 14 hours 40 minuets
  Normal 300 42 hours 2 hours
  Low 200 3.5 days 6 hours
  Depleted 100 1 week 8 hours
          Mana levels are kind like huge local area endurance reserves called Areal Reserves. One point in a areal reserves represents the amount of mana hundreds of mages might have in their personal mana reserves. The areal reserve is classified into four levels based on the amount of endurance in the reserve; high, normal, low, and depleted. As the areal reserve drops in level the amount of endurance it can replenish in a personal reserve also drops. In a high mana level a areal reserve can replenish up to eight points of endurance every forty minuets, in a normal mana level the rate is every two hours, for a low it is every six hours and only every eight hours in a depleted area.

Natural spell casting or ability use normally does not affect the areal reserve. Some very powerful magic use might cause some deplete but even this usually leaves no lasting effects. Unfortunately Magiteck's use of mana is harmful and readily depletes the areal reserve. areal reserves have a relationship with one another. As the reserve for an area depletes the reserve loss spreads out from the center in a radial pattern. The first surrounding areas share in half of the loss with the following areas sharing one fourth and one eighth the loss. One can see this can added up when there is overlapping areas being depleted and this is what happens in big cities leaving a large low or depleted area.

The zenith of high mana level is 400, this is maxium amount of mana a areal reserve can have. When the mana level approaches the apex spontaneous enchantments can occur. These enchantments are almost always beneficial and aspected to the life in the area. Spontaneous enchantments can be areal enchantments such as an enchanted glen of a forest that heals those that rest there or it can be an objects such as wild mana gems. The areal recovery for a high mana level is one point every fourteen hours. A high mana level can restore a mage every forty minuets. Below 300 is a normal mana level. A normal mana level has a areal recovery of one every forty two hours and can restore a mage every 2 hours. Below 200 is a low mana level. A low mana level has a areal recovery of one every 3.5 days and can restore a mage every 6 hours. Below 100 is a depleted mana level. A depleted mana level has a areal recovery of one every week. A depleted mana level can only restore a mage every 8 hours! Zero is the nadir of a depleted mana area. When a depleted area get this low spells can still be cast and mages are still restored every 8 hours, however if the area stay at the nadir continuously for an extended period of time (usually a few years) then funny things start to happen to the fabric of space and time. The GM should feel free to use his imagination. Examples include such things as; teleporting storms, parts of buildings or objects fading out of existence, objects merging, distances taking longer to transverse then they should, time flowing much faster of slower then normal, wakening of dimensional barriers allowing awaiting entities to enter.why so much space over the table I do not knowso what do you think?

added info to mana levels

oh I should add this to mana levels

Because of the nature of mana on Telsendalay not every area can support and high mana level, as a matter of fact high mana levels are rare. Most areas can only support a normal mana level. Most of Telsendalay can only support a normal mana level. Areas that can only support low mana levels are even more rare then high level but they do exist. There is no area on Telsendalay that can only support a Depleted mana level, this is a product of Magiteck use only.