Gem/Focus Magic System

Guest C_Zeree

Guest C_Zeree

Not wanting to take over a perfectly good Final Fantasy thread, but wanting to start/continue talking about gem magic I will endeavor to start this new thread.

I believe I can say it is the goal of Zoth and me (err...myself I can't remember propper grammar), to create an effective magic system that revolves around gems, or at least a system that is focus heavy. I will present my system, dubbed Channeling, because the mage channels mystic energy into the focus to be used later. It is a name I am not to overjoyed with, since it is simplistic, but I have not stumbled upon anything better.

I would appreciate any comments on my system, perhaps an idea for a better name. Or people to just to point out feasibility in game, since I have not play tested anything.

First the skill behind the magic:

CHANNELING

(Channeling, Interaction/Intellect/Willpower, 9+(PRE or INT or EGO/5), 3/2, Any)

The differing primary characteristic for the skill represents the differing philosophies of the magical art. Animist channelers usually treat channeling as an interactive skill, calling upon spirits to aid them by bestowing some of their might upon a prepared token. Alchemic chanellers view the process as a science, and they have large, well stocked labs. Gathering the properly attuned components and following proper formulae and processes will channel the magic they seek into the prepared vessel. Alternatively, either philosophy could view channeling as a contest of willpower. The animist becomes a binder, matching will against the spirit they wish to bind to their fetish. The alchemist becomes a thalmaturge, using formulae and logic to determine a loophole in reality’s design, eventually warping the weave enough to produce their result.

Uses of the Skill

Empowering:

While there are many philosophies, the result is the same: the creation of an item empowered with magic. Channelers create two different magical objects in this manner, Shaping Stones and Spell Seeds. Shaping stones are kin to magical items like wands or scrolls, vessel to a particular spell, but they allow any mage to cast the magic held within using their own mystic reserves, not depending on charges that will eventually run out. Spell seeds are reserves of mystical energy, used to power either a mage’s known spells, or spells stored within shaping stones.

The method of creation does differ for the separate philosophies. Animists prefer to use fetishes and tokens in harmony with the spirits they hope to call. Thus, when calling upon Raven the channeler would prepare a feather token, or if they were asking for a blessing from Bear they would use a claw or a carved figurine of a bear. These tokens must be prepared before the ritual is to take place. Preparation should take a minimum of 1 hour per 5 Active Points in the Power to be bound to the fetish. This time represents the effort necessary to prepare the item in its final form, ritual cleansing, and preparing a rôchan for the ritual. The ritual to actually call the spirit into the prepared fetish takes only 1 hour per 20 Active Points in the Power. During this, the mage actually calls the spirit to him and communes with it. The ritual culminates with the spirit’s final decision, the mage makes a channeling check with a penalty of -1 per 10 Active Points in the Power, as well as any modifiers the GM sees fit (extra time spent and personally gathered all the materials should provide a bonus). The cost of all of this is quite variable, as it is very difficult to put a price on the effort of the mage that gathered the items.

Scientific channeling follows a far more rigid path. Almost all of their spell seeds and shaping stones are actually precious and semiprecious gems, or worked stone. The gems could be set in further ornamentation, but it s not a requirement. The value of the piece to be empowered must be, at least, 20 gold per 10 Active Points in the Power. Alchemic channelers need a fully stocked lab filled with components aligned to the nature of the spell they wish to place in the stone. It would be far better if they had materials from an aligned rôchan, this should not be necessary, but it may provide a bonus. The act of empowerment takes 1 hour per 10 Active Points in the Power, and this is the time that must be spent hard at work in the lab, the only breaks being for food and mandatory rest. Once the time is complete, the mage makes a channeling check with a penalty of -1 per 10 Active Points in the Power, modified as the GM sees fit. Thalmaturgic channelers are similar to their brothers, but they require a full library of philosophic and magical lore. They spend the required time pouring over tomes, researching enigmatic, mystical trains of thought.

Requirements for Empowering:

Animism

Aligned token/fetish

1 hr per 5 Active Points, preparation time

1 hr per 20 Active Points, ritual time

-1 penalty per 10 Active Points

Science

20 gold per 10 Active Points, material

Full alchemist’s lab/complete library

1 hr per 10 Active Points, creation time

-1 penalty per 10 Active Points

Reults:

Shaping Stone

Power (Pick your flavor)

Focus (OAF/OIF)

Independent (For my “World†only, not a necessary Lim, but I have written about trade and quests to find powerful, lost shaping stones)

RSR (Channeling, -1 penalty per 10 Active Points in Power)

2xEND Cost (Channeling is inherently taxing)

Powered by Characters END or END Reserve

Spell Seed

END Reserve (Can be aligned to a specific element or power type)

REC (Bought with slower recovery REC/5 mins)

Focus (OAF/OIF)

Independent

RSR (Only when powering spells personally known by the mage, same penalties as above, only worth -1/4 Lim)

That’s it for tonight. I have a more thorough write up on Spell Seeds and Shaping Stones, but that’s for later. I provided this as bait :), and because it felt like it needed some closure.

Enjoy the eve

C_Zeree

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Managen original proposal

Nice system C_Zeree here is my system so far.

Managen Gem Magic System

1.) Most spells require the use of manage gems. Manage gems are specially made gems that are enchanted so that the user can channel mana into a spell.

2.) It takes skill in order to properly use a manage gem.

3.) The active point maximum for a spell is determine by the quality of the gem (manage gem quality is based on the quality of the gem used in the enchantment). The unique characteristics of the gem used to make the managen will determines what spells the managen has (kind of a random thing).

4.) The more powerful type of managen allows a mage to attempt to absorb the managen giving the mage the ability to cast the spells the managen had without any managen up to the active point maximum the managen had (of course the PC will have buy off the limitation and managen that can be absorb will be very rare)

5.) A few spells don’t require gems in order to cast they are what led to the development of gem magic. Two of these spells are:

Managen Enchantment and Combined Managen. (Might add Absorb Managen, not sure if I want absorption to be a spell or not).

6.) Mana level determines the amount of mana a mage can recover in a given day.

Here is what I got so far.

Managen power pool

Multipower/flexible slots: RSR (x), Concentration ½ DCV (-1/4), Extra Time (x maybe), Gestures – both hands (-1/2), Linked to Endurance Reserve: Slow Recovery (x per x time), Amount recovered based on mana level (have the base recovery as high mana level and lower the amount of recovery as the mana levels lowers).

Spell Requirements:

Must cost endurance

Usually has Visible Effect- sparkling multicolored lighted effects.

OAF

Active point maximum based on OAF type.

Managen Enchantment Spell:

This spell does not have the limitation OAF or Active point maximum based on OAF. This spell enchants normal gems that have been crafted a certain way

Into managen. Size and quality determines the Active point maximum that I spell can be cast with the gem. The type of gem and its unique characteristics (flaws & shape) determines what spell will be able to be caste with the gem. Each spell might have its own Active point maximum.

(Need game statistics)

Combined Managen Spell:

This spell does not have the limitation OAF or Active point maximum based on OAF. This spell lets the caster combine two managen of the same gem type into one managen that has the spells both managen had. The Active point maximum of the new gem will be the greater of the two.

(Need game statistics)

Absorb Managen:

Ability to absorb a managen gem into ones spirit, thereby gaining the ability to cast that spell without a managen gem.

Basically the gem is used up and the player’s character pays the difference between the cost of the spell with the OAF and the spell without the OAF.

(Need more game statistics)

Please excuse any typing and grammar errors :)

Very nice system! It's one of the few I can imagine myself using - high praise from me.

A couple of questions: as I understand it, all spells are essentially items and independant.

Do you envisage them as being usable by anyone, or would you need another skill to use the powers?

If so, would you let players buy that skill, or would it only come as a part of a package deal "Before you can learn to summon Great Wolf Spirit, you must know the names and mighty deeds of all the shamans of the wolf clan!"

In short - are magic users a defined class, or can you have "dabblers" in magic - or is magic something everyone uses?

I can see cool possibilities for any one of these options, but since the mage characters have to pay points to make new items, it would seem to disadvantage them if barbarian swordswinger Grod the mighty can use them too.

cheers, Mark

This is a great thread.

You two should contact Dave Mattingly at Digital Hero and work this up as a article.

I read a lot of good stuff here, but rarely do I actully save the post with the intention of using some thing in an excisting game.

This will dovetail nicely with my Tunfaire game where silver is used as a magic source.

Great going gang....

White Managen

Ok now that I’m awake I see how shaping stones work :)

Basically they are kind of like magic items, the mage will find them and he powers them and using them takes skill. The problem I see is that the only thing the character is paying for is the channeling skill.

This is kind how I first imagine my system in away. Each gem would have a spell list and as you learned the lower spells you could then start learning the deeper mysteries of the gem. This would be how it works in R. A. Salvatores Demonwars Saga.

May be there are different types if magic gems each with there own spell list and each type would have it own skill. This might be how I would set my system up.

Exp.

White Managen:

X point Multipower (flexible slots)

Focus (OIF)

Independent

Concentration ½ DCV

Gestures – both hands

Linked to X point Endurance Reserve:

Slow Recovery (x per x time)

Amount recovered based on mana level

Healing Spell: Healing , Visible Effect- sparkling multicolored lighted effects,

RSR (Channeling White Managen –x per x AP).

Cure Disease

est.

Each spell would have it own amount of RSR penalty and the more powerful the spell the more the penalty. Some Managen might need the difficult/very difficult focus limitation to reflect that fact that they are harder to find/make.

developed a heavy focus magic system guide

Originally posted by Thag13

This is a great thread.

You two should contact Dave Mattingly at Digital Hero and work this up as a article.

we might could help developed a heavy focus magic system guide, but the managen system I plan on publishing on a web sight along with my game world. :)

I might start posting parts of my game world here for reviewing/comments.

My game world is called Telsendalay and it’s inspired by final fantasy. It is a fantasy world that has magitek, technology powered by managen. The down sided to using managen to power devices is that uses magic in a harsh way and that cause the mana level to drop over time.

Guest C_Zeree
Originally posted by Thag13

This is a great thread.

Originally posted by Zoth

we might could help developed a heavy focus magic system guide, but the managen system I plan on publishing on a web sight along with my game world. :)

I was actually considering it. I was in the process of writing it up as a possible DH entry when the whole FF thread started. :)

I will have more thought come lunch when I can take a break.

Guest C_Zeree

Great Stuff!!

Managen Gem Magic System

1.) Most spells require the use of manage gems. Manage gems are specially made gems that are enchanted so that the user can channel mana into a spell.

2.) It takes skill in order to properly use a manage gem.

I believe we are on the same track.

Originally posted by Markdoc

Do you envisage them as being usable by anyone, or would you need another skill to use the powers?

Only those trained in Channeling, those that take the skill in my world may Channel, and according to Zoth you also need "skill", I assume spending CP for it in his system. I have thought about a Magic/Channeling "Perk" to keep anyone from casting magic, on top of the necessary skill, but I have not made a final decision (Possibly only a 3 Point Perk, maybe 5, could only be taken if character has “magic†perk). This would represent the spark. And goodness knows I don’t want some lousy barbarian warrior using the awesome power of channeling. ;)

3.) The active point maximum for a spell is determine by the quality of the gem (manage gem quality is based on the quality of the gem used in the enchantment). The unique characteristics of the gem used to make the managen will determines what spells the managen has (kind of a random thing).

When it comes to the more scientific magi, I use a New Age association or personal feelings for the magic most appropriate for gem. Hemitie has ties to healing properties, onyx & obsidian is tied to darkness, fire, confusion, and the like. Also as I said aligned tokens and fetishes help the animistic channeler.

My system has a background that describes, rôchan, magical wellsprings, that instill an area with magical essence. This essence has “flavors†depending on the area. Objects taken from this area with the particular magical influence help magi create similarly aligned shaping stones.

Managen Enchantment Spell & Combined Managen Spell

I think these would be better as a skill: Control Managen. The ideas seem very similar to my Channeling skill. It doesn’t need to be a 3/2 skill, could be a 5/3 if want to prevent outsiders from using it.

For Enchantment, I like the idea of each gem having a cap of AP, or actually each Spell have a necessary value of Gem to be used.

Combining: Never thought about this, but this is a cool idea. The gem becomes a MP instead of a focus?

Absorbing: I have my own “learning†system for acquiring the powers held in a shaping stone. It is not fleshed out yet, but it basically involves, as you said, either buying of the Lims, or buying the power outright if they did not create the gem. There would be a skill roll required at the time of XP expenditure? Think we should work on this one.

I don’t know if I understand your MP…is it an MP or a VPP? Do you mean Linked as a Lim or just fueled from a END reserve? Because I don’t think you could used the Linked as a Lim in this case.

I like the idea of varying REC depending on the manna present.

Spell Requirements wise: Anything that costs END has a visible effect, you can’t use the Visible Lim on top of that. You might be able to use a “Very Flashy Visible†Lim…not sure, others opinions? If you are talking about mental powers the regular Visible is a good Lim.

Nice stuff Zoth ;), we have a good thing here!

Once I get home I will post the better mechanics for using Channeling.

Guest C_Zeree

I agree

Basically they are kind of like magic items, the mage will find them and he powers them and using them takes skill. The problem I see is that the only thing the character is paying for is the channeling skill.

This is how it works, and I can see this could be a problem...See above for my other coments, and I still have to fidget with my game mechanics. Actually I have the Channeler having to pay for a VPP that he then places the shaping stones into. So only those with the Channeling skill and those that laid down the points for the VPP can Channel. Braxit the Brick can't pick up a shaping stone and use it unless he pays the points. Using the shaping stones as an item, like a sword would be far too abusive. What do other people think?

May be there are different types if magic gems each with there own spell list and each type would have it own skill. This might be how I would set my system up.

I lik your idea and example, something to mull over.

Guest C_Zeree

Channeling part II

My further ideas on channeling continue. Here unfolds how magi use channeling in game, and the rules behind using channeling powers.

IN GAME USE

Channeling Practice:

Channelers guard the knowledge of their trade as every other mage does. Shamans and binders are particular about their apprentices, choosing only from those they see have the “gift.†Alchemists and thalmaturges’ devise numerous tests of logic and method, to glean prospective from the chaff. Only those instructed in the art of channeling may use their devices, and only those strong enough in the art may devise their own.

Spiritual channelers depend more upon their shaping stones, even though they usually take the form of fetishes or tokens. They have few memorized spells, only those most important to them, and they keep their abodes decorated with the numerous tokens they devise. The learned, more scientific, channelers use their shaping stones to augment their memorized repertoire. They find it useful to place difficult spells, or rarely used spells, within the stones allowing them to diversify, but still come through when necessary. For the first philosophy channeling is a key to harmony with nature, while the second find it an interesting new “science,†and at worst a diverting hobby.

A channeler uses a shaping stone or a spell seed by fueling the spell held within and casting it as they cast other spells they know. Either spell seeds or the characters own mystical reserves fuel the spell. Casting from a shaping stone has the limitations as any other spell would, save instead of making a “magic†roll to cast the spell the channeler makes a channeling role. The normal penalty of -1 per 10 Active Points in the Power, applies to roll involving shaping stones.

Shaping stones are usually independent, permanent magical artifacts, but only usable by the magi that have sufficient talent in the art of channeling. Virtual Power Pools fit this format best, as it can signify both overall magical power through the Active Points, and allow a mage to keep a varied collection of shaping stones. This “collection†increases a mage’s chance of effectiveness in a clinch. They keep useful stones at the ready, but other, possibly more powerful or only valuable in certain circumstances, tucked away, retrievable from a belt or pouch when necessary. Spell Seeds are a touchier subject as they too could fit into a VPP of their own, but it is a special power. GM’s could limit a character to one or two seeds to aid their characters, and have them bought outright, as they tend to be cheaper than shaping stones. Virtual Power Pools keep channeling a selective art, because only those willing to give up Character Points to a Channeling Pool will be able to use shaping stones.

Alternatively, the GM could treat everything as they do magical items & equipment. Allowing a mage to swap out and use shaping stones and spell seeds as a fighter might grab a different weapon or don a new helmet. This is practice should be watched as it could get out of hand very easily if a channeler has found all of their stones, and not had to design any themselves. If this is the case the Channeler has to pay nothing, but the skill to use the shaping stone, and there is little to stop anyone from picking up a shaping stone and using them.

MECHANICS

Channeling: VPP (Magic)

Increased Endurance Cost (2x END; -1/2)

RSR: Channeling (-1/2)

Only Owned Shaping Stones (Limited; -1/2)

Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)

Gestures (-1/4)

Incantations (-1/4)

Shaping Stone:

Pick Your Power w/Advantages

Power Can Draw END From Character or END Reserve (+1/4)

OIF or OAF (-1/2 or -1)

Independent (-2)

Common VPP Lims (-1 3/4)

Spell Seed: Endurance Reserve (XX END, X REC)

OIF or OAF (-1/2 or -1)

Independent (-2)

RSR: Channeling, When Powering Memorized Magic (-1/4)

REC:

Slow Recovery (5 Minutes; -1)

Thoughts are always welcome

Managen III

My refined Mangen ideas

X Managen

X Point Multipower (Flexible slots)

Must use Mana Pool Endurance Reserve

Focu (OIF) (-1)

Independent (-2)

Concentration ½ DCV ()

Gestures – both hands ()

M X Spell: X Power, Must have a Visible Effect - sparkling multicolored lighted effects surrounds the managen and follows the casters gestures. ,

RSR (Channeling X Managen –x per x AP). , Must cost END.

Mana Pool

X Point Endurance Reserve ,

Slow Recovery (x per x time)

Magitek Device/Engine

X Powers

Focus – Managen (OAF or OIF?)

Side Effects , X amount of cumulative hours of use will reduce focus multipower by one active point, Continuous use of device over time will contribute to the lowering of the mana level in the area.

Magic Abilities

Managen Enchantment

Major Transform – Gem into managen. ,

Limited Target (-1) - specially crafted gem.

Extra Time

Concentration (Character is totally unaware) (-1/2)

RSR

This ability enchants normal gems that have been crafted a certain way

Into managen. Size and quality determines the Active point maximum that I spell can be cast with the gem. The type of gem and its unique characteristics (flaws & shape) determines what spell will be able to be caste with the gem.

Combined Managen

Major Transform – Combine two managen into one managen containing the best

features of both managen, or absorb one managen to combine one if it’s spells with another managen and one of that managen’s spell to produce a new spell in that managen.

Limited Target (-1) – Managen,

Extra Time

Concentration (Character is totally unaware) (-1/2)

RSR

This ability lets the caster combine two managen of the same gem type into one managen that has the spells both managen had. The Active point maximum of the new gem will be the greater of the two. This ability can also be use to absorb one managen into another managen combining the effects of one spell form the absorbed managen with one spell form the absorbing managen to produce a new spell in the absorbing managen replacing the existing spell. Oouff

Now I just need to fill in some of the numbers and details.

Thoughts welcomed as well

So far what I see form Channeling part II looks kelw, when I have some time I will give some input :)

Guest C_Zeree

I See!

Now I see what you mean for the spells Magagen Enchantment & Combine. I never gave thought to what spell would be required for creating shaping stones. Just thought it would be off screen, character spent some points, poof. The spells are good though, I could definatly "borrow" some good ideas (all of it). :D

Guest C_Zeree

say on the Magitek Device/Engine

Focus – Managen

would that be OAF or OIF

still kind of new to the hero system :D

If it is built into the system, non grabable, then its OIF.

If it is sitting on the "front" of the Magitech and someone could shoot it off or run by and pluck it out it would be OAF.

My guess is, as most things that involve armor, it would be OIF.

I See

In that case Magitek Device/Engine would be an OIF because it would be kind like taking out the batteries. Managen on the other hand when used to cast spells would be an OAF as it could possibly be grabbed form the casters hands :)

shaping stones question and managen question

So far form what I have read form the Channeling system it looks good so far.

Let me see if I get this right. Most gems used in casting is just a spx of channeling vpp. The mage might find some more powerful spell in the form of shaping stones which kind of work like magic items. Spell seed on the other hand are used to power (other magic items?)

------------------------------------------------

So in the managen system do you think by imposing a different skill per each type of managen and placing a high active point penalty to the skill would balance the fact that managen are basically just magic items that only mages use? I mean in this system they wouldn’t pay any character points for the managen. Also the mage has to buy a mana pool so that keeps just anyone form picking up a managen and using it.

Also under this system what would I use for a recovery rate? (Mind that this would be for high mana level and every drop in level it would be lowered and high levels are rare)

How big should I allow the endurance reserve?

Guest C_Zeree

Is anybody out there?

Zoth,

Let me see if I get this right. Most gems used in casting is just a spx of channeling vpp. The mage might find some more powerful spell in the form of shaping stones which kind of work like magic items. Spell seed on the other hand are used to power (other magic items?)

As I see it the Channeling VPP is just an ability to use the Shaping stones, a container that is useless unless the mage possesses some stones. No matter the what shaping stone a mage might find, or create himself, they can use it in their VPP, as long as the VPP has a high enough Point cap.

You are basically right about the spell seeds, they provide power. They can be used to power anything that uses them as their END source, or anything that takes the Advantage may use either personal END or spell seed (+1/4).

So in the managen system do you think by imposing a different skill per each type of managen and placing a high active point penalty to the skill would balance the fact that managen are basically just magic items that only mages use? I mean in this system they wouldn’t pay any character points for the managen. Also the mage has to buy a mana pool so that keeps just anyone form picking up a managen and using it.

Also under this system what would I use for a recovery rate? (Mind that this would be for high mana level and every drop in level it would be lowered and high levels are rare)

How big should I allow the endurance reserve?

Good questions, but I think we might need more opinions on mine for this one. Anyone/Everyone please chime in because I have No play test experience, however I will think about it.

I styled the VPP really after a Magical MP, thinking the most appeal for this system would come from high-powered games that would allow magical frameworks. An MP of slightly large size should balance out Point wise with a smaller VPP mage who has to actually pay for the slots. The versatility of VPP balances out with shear number of low cost spells a mage may place in an MP.

The problem with making shaping stones/managen items is that, as you stated, no one pays for it. Load a mage up with them, give him a high END, and watch him blow an army to smithereens. However in your case if you make each managen require a different skill, and have the total skill cost be…say, the Real Cost/5 of the Power. This makes it similar to an flexible MP. It might balance out a managen user with other characters.

I don’t think having to buy a mana pool would keep many metagamers away from using managen.

As for mana pool and REC rate, the easiest way would be to have multiple pools each having their own REC rate, and stipulate which ones are used 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and so on. This is easiest, but defiantly not elegant.

You could use one END reserve and do a little algebra to figure out what a good Lim would be for a variable REC rate.

Example: 200 point mana pool 10 REC.

Top 50 mana (1/4 of pool) REC 10/turn worth +0, Upper Mid 50 (1/4 pool) REC 10/5 minutes (-1), Lower Mid 50 (1/4 pool) REC 10/1 hour (-2), Bottom 50 (1/4 pool) REC 10/1 day (-3)

The REC Lim would be: ¼ * 0 + ¼ * -1 + ¼ * -2 + ¼ * -3 = -1.5

Whaddya think for off the cuff thought?

shaping stones ideas and exp of managen mana pool

Originally posted by C_Zeree

I have No play test experience, however I will think about it.

I’m in the same boat as you.

The problem with making shaping stones/managen items is that, as you stated, no one pays for it. Load a mage up with them, give him a high END, and watch him blow an army to smithereens.

May be with the shaping stone system there could be some Side Effects for falling channel skill roll? Of course that could bring up some whole new problems. If they Side Effects are too extreme then the caster would be reluctant to cast spells.

I don’t think having to buy a mana pool would keep many metagamers away from using managen.

I was thinking of requiring them to buy a certain amount of pool.

May be both system should have a perk required to be able to use them?

This might help balance as well.

As for mana pool and REC rate, the easiest way would be to have multiple pools each having their own REC rate, and stipulate which ones are used 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and so on. This is easiest, but defiantly not elegant.

What I was thinking is they would buy the REC for high mana area and I would reduce it for each mana level under high. Then in my rule write up I just make a chart showing what the REC would be for a give area.

Exp. (This if of course a rough example)

Mana Pool

30 Point Endurance Reserve

Slow Recovery (1 per 1 hour)

mana level   REC

• High   1 per 1 hour
  • Normal   1 per 2 hours
  • Low   1 per 5 hours
  • Very Low   1 per 10 hours

Maybe not even including Slow Recovery just combined it with the Amount recovered based on mana level into one overall limit.

Cool stuff. Some of this sounds like the Demonwars Saga stones that Salvatore wrote, which is what I am reading right now.

I have a quesiton or two, if I can think of both (and people of both systems can answer as it can probably apply to both):

1) Does each gem have its own special power that is already set so no matter what each time I pick up a Ruby Gem then it will have the same effect? If this is already answered then I didn't read it well enough but if you can answer it that would be great.

2) Could you incorporate into your systems the idea of having weapons that can include the gems to power the weapons as a foci for the gems, like Materia? This is what I am sort of aiming at in my game that I want to run.

editted for spelling.

Managen Gems Explained

Originally posted by ShadowRaptor

Does each gem have its own special power that is already set so no matter what each time I puck up a Ruby Gem then it will have the same effect? If this is already answered then I didn't read it well enough but if you can answer it that would be great.

My system of Managen will be like this. The spells the managen has and power of the managen will not change thou each managen the mage finds might have different spells and powers.

I’m thinking I will have 9 types of managen which will work kind like schools of magic. (Life and Spirit, Mind, Liquid, Solid, Gas, Plasma (fire), Ether (mana), Light and Dark and Dimesion.)

To make one of the types of managen the enchanter will need a corresponding gem.

There will be 3 grades of managen. Lesser Grade, Moderate Grade, Exceptional Grade.

Grades are the size and unique characteristics (flaws & shape) of the gem used to make the managen. The grades will determine the points the managen’s power pool has and what spells it might have.

Could you incorporate into your systems the idea of having weapons that can include the gems to power the weapons as a foci for the gems, like Materia?

Yeah I might make it where managen could be installed in a weapon or such and give it certain powers based on the type of managen.

another question

I just thought of another question to ask:

3) I don't know if you are doing this but is the power fueled by the gems in your magic systems fueled by the person him/herself or does each gem sort of have its own END power reserve for powering spells through the gem, and when the END reserve is depleted then the stone is deplete for a short time until it recharges, or is it a combination of the two? Sorry if this is answered previously but specific answers to specific questions does help sometimes. Thanks for all answers.

Guest C_Zeree

Mana Pool

Slow Recovery (1 per 1 hour)

mana level   REC

• High   1 per 1 hour
  • Normal   1 per 2 hours
  • Low   1 per 5 hours
  • Very Low   1 per 10 hours

Maybe not even including Slow Recovery just combined it with the Amount recovered based on mana level into one overall limit.

Taking this idea it looks like we are on the same page, if you use my last example above. Just assign each REC step its Lim defined by how often the REC takes place. Weight the Lim by how much of the Mana pool is effected. Sum the result for the overall Lim of the REC.

Guest C_Zeree

1) Does each gem have its own special power that is already set so no matter what each time I pick up a Ruby Gem then it will have the same effect?

With my system the gem doesn't matter, any gem/tokem/whatever could be instilled with any power, but some are better suited to certain powers. However there is no reason why the magi, especially the scientific ones, couldn't set up a common standard. The rules would work the same.

2) Could you incorporate into your systems the idea of having weapons that can include the gems to power the weapons as a foci for the gems, like Materia?

I would have to give some thought to this...the foci would have to have seprate powers for spell casting and for "junctioning" into weapons. Looks like the shaping stones become an MP, but then they can't also be put in a VPP, which would be perfect for "Weapon Materia." Needs thought.

3) I don't know if you are doing this but is the power fueled by the gems in your magic systems fueled by the person him/herself or does each gem sort of have its own END power reserve for powering spells through the gem, and when the END reserve is depleted then the stone is deplete for a short time until it recharges, or is it a combination of the two?

I cover this in detail in my Channeling II post: the deifference between Shaping Stones and Spell Seeds. The short version of it is: Shaping stones do not have END, they are only a blueprint for a certain spell, and they depend on spell seeds or the character's power. Spell seeds are END reserves that have their own recovery.

Thanks ShadowRaptor for joining us, excellent... :D

The bars in Lancaster suck, it is time to retire.

Good night everyone. :)

Re: another question

I just thought of another question to ask:

3) I don't know if you are doing this but is the power fueled by the gems in your magic systems fueled by the person him/herself or does each gem sort of have its own END power reserve for powering spells through the gem, and when the END reserve is depleted then the stone is deplete for a short time until it recharges, or is it a combination of the two? Sorry if this is answered previously but specific answers to specific questions does help sometimes. Thanks for all answers.

In my system I’m gone use an endurance reserve the caster will have to buy and use to fuel the gems. The recovery will be based on the mana level in that area. I just think that it would be too much to track if each gem had it's own Independent endurance reserve. I might thou have a few special ones that will have an end reserve the caster could also use but they are gone to be rare.

Exp. (This if of course a rough example)

Mana Pool

High 1 per 1 hour

Normal 1 per 2 hours

Low 1 per 5 hours

Very Low 1 per 10 hours

Cool. Glad to be a part of a good thread, thanks for the welcome.

I don't know if this would work for a alternate name for Channeling, but Attuning could also work if the person that uses the gem Attunes the gem to him/her so he/she can focus magic through it as long as its Attuned, or Linked, to him. Or, to take a Earthdawn word, it could be Threading, or Weaving, a spell effect through the person and the item, in this case a gem, so only that person can use its power while its linked to the person. You said that you didn't like Channeling that much so here are some ideas I was pondering while we discuss gem magic.