Gem/Focus Magic System

Guest C_Zeree

if I had a group (wishful thinking at this point) then I would try to playtest your rules and let you know how they pan out. That said, college is kicking my butt right now and its taking away all my fun time that I wish I could have for writing my FF HERO game.

That said, I like what you have going. Now that you have most of your rules, you should rewrite them all together and let us download them so we can read them all at once instead of switching back and forth on the thread (since they have been revised).

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by ShadowRaptor

That said, I like what you have going. Now that you have most of your rules, you should rewrite them all together and let us download them so we can read them all at once instead of switching back and forth on the thread (since they have been revised).

Well I might do that or when I get it tweaked run it by the college and make a pdf. It would have to be Acrobat 4 thou.

There is my websights I know its angelfire and you all most allway have to refresh once for the dumb thing to find anything but I have tried to make the sight printer friendly.

mana levels using chargeshave decide to use charges for how long for magiteck to deplete a level vs using a end rev. It much easyer to use charges the only thing is the higher the mana level the less charges it has because the less time it take so it look kind funny with depleted having the highes number of charges but oh well it work much better.

Mana Levels

Mana Level Areal Charges

Magiteck Deplete Time

Personal Rec
  High 180 6 months 40 minuets
  Normal 550 1.5 years 2 hours
  Low 1650 4.5 years 6 hours
  Depleted 5000 14 years 8 hours
Areal reserve are handled as continuous charges and recovers one charge a day. The higher the mana level the less charges there are because the higher the level the less time it takes to deplete. When a mana level reaches zero charges or its maximum charges it transverses to the next level. If it transverses up it starts on the higher mana level with one charge. If it transverses down it starts on the lower mana level with one less charge then the maximum. The zenith of high mana level has 180 charges, this is the maxium amount of mana a areal reserve can have. When the mana level approaches the apex, spontaneous enchantments can occur. These enchantments are almost always beneficial and aspected to the life in the area. Spontaneous enchantments can be areal enchantments such as an enchanted glen of a forest that heals those that rest there or it can be an objects such as wild mana gems. A high mana level can restore a mage every forty minuets. Normal mana levels have 550 charges. A normal mana level can restore a mage every two hours. Low mana levels have 1650 charges. A low mana level can restore a mage every six hours. Depleted mana levels have 5000 charges. A depleted mana level can only restore a mage every 8 hours! When a depleted mana level reaches zero charges this is the nadir of a depleted mana area. When a depleted area get this low spells can still be cast and mages still recover every 8 hours, however funny things start to happen to the fabric of space and time. The GM should feel free to use his imagination.

Guest C_Zeree

Sooo I don't know if I fully understand.

An areal charge is used any time a mage takes a recovery, every time magitek is in the area for the appropriate lenfth of time?

I like the Mage's END reserve based on the areal magic, with that lim. Adds flavor, and makes a mage worry about where he is casting magic.

I don't know about the size of the END reserve (60 pts). If you have most of your spells costing 2xEND mages will only be casting a handfull a day. Even if they are on a high magic area. 40 mins to gain back 5~8 END.

This would limit the active points of many spells though.

Originally posted by C_Zeree

Sooo I don't know if I fully understand.

An areal charge is used any time a mage takes a recovery, every time magitek is in the area for the appropriate lenfth of time?

This would limit the active points of many spells though.

Magiteck will have two stats one how many hours/day of use b4 it uses one areal charge and % number (gone be low like 0.5%)

some real powerful spells might also use some charges two

[b

I don't know about the size of the END reserve (60 pts). If you have most of your spells costing 2xEND mages will only be casting a handfull a day. Even if they are on a high magic area. 40 mins to gain back 5~8 END.

This would limit the active points of many spells though. [/b]

how much should i set the rec and number of end reserve max too? I really dont have much of an idea got any suggestions? :(

on the old board

On the old hero board someone posted this...

swrushing

Since neither of these are figured they are "extra cost: on top of all the other demands which will serve to keep them in line. The sample mages i have built have a gathering of 6-9 per hour and mana pools of 100-150. This will allow them to refresh their reserves daily and have several combats possible but not unlimited (as with normal end) and so on. it will also cost between 12-18 cp. The mages i have used as samples had significantly lower physical characteristics, 81-0 in strength, 10-13 in con, and body varies between 10-15 depending on how potent the mage wants to be.

A dedicated mage at start will likely be able to run 8 end of spells per phase, 24 end per turn or about 50-75 per combat in heavy use periods. Thats 2 fights in rapid succession, 3 or 4 if he practices conservation

this sounds kind like what I'm after so maybe I should set the max to end 150 max rec to 10 and high mana level rec 30 minuets, normal 1 hour, low 3 hours and depleted 6 hours.

Guest C_Zeree

Someone did all the work for me. And I was willing to do some HERO math tonight.

120~150 END sounds right for a beginning mage in a normal to mid power fantasy game. At least with the REC you have. That much END in a higher REC rate game would turn into a fireball gatling gun (i.e. super). :D

Someone did all the work for me. And I was willing to do some HERO math tonight.

120~150 END sounds right for a beginning mage in a normal to mid power fantasy game. At least with the REC you have. That much END in a higher REC rate game would turn into a fireball gatling gun (i.e. super). :D

hehe yeah I'm happy I keep a lot of the old post.

saved you all that time :D

now I just need fix up the info on telsedalay and when I get most of the spelling and gamer fixed maybe I will do like ShadowRaptor suggested and make a pdf or post it here (thou it would be kind of big).

Thanks for all the info and helping my develop my system.

if I ever find a group to play fanasy hero maybe I will playtest both our system and find the bug and post the results :)

Guest C_Zeree
Originally posted by Zoth

Thanks for all the info and helping my develop my system.

if I ever find a group to play fanasy hero maybe I will playtest both our system and find the bug and post the results :)

Feeling is mutual.

I really like your areal magic idea. Its a great for ley lines and the like. Maybe when I move to AZ I can convince some people to do play testing. :)

Feeling is mutual.

I really like your areal magic idea. Its a great for ley lines and the like.

hehe it has been a buzy week you bet me too it :)

I was gone say I envision that mana flows in line and where they cross or natural high mana areas and areas far between the rivers of mana are natural low mana areas. of course it would not be hard to adapt it to use in a ley line magic system :)