FH Grimoire Index

Steve Long

A question for those who have The Fantasy Hero Grimoire:

Do you find its index more useful than a standard index?

I will need to prepare an index for the FHG2 soon, and I'm considering whether to do it in the same way. I don't see the point in myself and Andy doing the extra work if few (if any) people find it handy to have a quick summary of spell characteristics.

Re: FH Grimoire Index

The standard index is just as useful to me. I would not bother to look in the back of the book to see what the range or magic roll minus of a spell is. I would expect the players to have that on their sheets.

I have not had much use for the index either. I would be satisfied with a standard index with the spell name and page number.

If you use a standard index, it may be helpful to note the spell's arcana with an abbreviation by the name.

With a standard index, would it be limited to FHG II spells, or would it contain both FHG II and FGH spells?

Brett

the FHG is ok for me..... but i want to known something (excuse my english i am a french canadien) do you known steve if the hero books have french version because sometime for some rules it much more difficult.... for my friends and me....... but we still big fans of the hero system merci d avance stef

I've only use FHG a couple of times, but more than anything I wanted to see the spells split out by arcana and effect. It's all great to see Long spell name X but it would be much more useful to list Long spell name X, Wizardry, mega-scale teleport.

I was looking for a "sleep" style spell and couldn't find anything obvious in the index so I made my own. Then I found several when I was just browsing through.

do you known steve if the hero books have french version

We don't have any particular plans for a translation, I'm afraid. If we have to pay for it, it's simply not cost-effective. We'd certainly be willing to talk to a licensee who wanted to tackle the project, but it's not something we're ever likely to do unless I spontaneously become fluent in French. :hex: (As I recently told a French RPG interviewer, about all I can say "en Francais" is "Je ne parlez-pas Francais bien," and I don't think I even spell that right.;))

As was already pointed out, I'd expect players to have that info already.

And just for me, I always end up flipping to the page with that particular spell on it anyway, just to make sure I didn't forget something.

So I'd say go with a conventional index.

I personally think the PHB 3e got it right with having those one-line descriptions and then the full write-ups. Having it broken down by: Level, Name, One line summary.

I know it would entail work, but I'd find that very useful. Particularlly because I find most of them spell titles to be not very helpful in the index for telling me what the spell does.

Breaking it down by: Arcana, Name, One Line Summary

Would be a real boon.

But at the end of the day, I'd take a regular index if it meant that Steve's efforts & time were used on more productive avenues (i.e. the Ultimate Skill ;-P)

TB

I spent some time putting the major spell names, their arcana, and page number into a database (MS Access). I'm planning on adding the costs (AC/RC) and possibly a brief description later.

I primarily did this so I could use the spells, but split them into my own arcana and allow for some overlap and be able to print separate and complete lists for each arcana (spells that belong to one or more arcana would appear in each listing).