Wow! HERO sure has come a long way!

Yamo

Originally posted by Thag13

There is a used copy of Synnabar at my local used book store.

Is it as bad as the legends say it is???

Read the review. Judge for yourself.

Contrary to my expectations, the World of Synnibarr did not suck all of the flesh off of my face, leaving behind only a screaming skull. It did not rape my other gaming products, leaving them pregnant with “neomodsâ€, McCracken-speak for something as simple as a gaming module. It did not shoot twin streams of hydrochloric acid into my eyes, nor did it squat on my chest and stare at me when I was trying to sleep.

-- from the RPGNet Review

I have actually created several Synnabar characters, but never played. I'm fairly sure the people who wrote it haven't played it either.

You will need a calculator to play. Damage numbers are well into the thousands of points on beginning level characters, and defenses are based on a strange order of magnitude system.

In summary, my winged guy (I forget the actual race name, but they had wings and were all stand-up comics)

had a damage roll of ((1D8x100)+10)x28

for a simple range of 3,080 to 22,680 points of damage.

And, um, two tenths of protection. Don't ask.

I bought The World of Synibarr years ago because the cover looked interesting. Boy, there was never a truer example of the old saw, "Don't judge a book by its cover." It was God-awful. I pawned it off on some hapless game store or something years ago.

Now I'm tempted to find a dirt-cheap copy of it again just for the sake of kitsch... the ultimate idol of how not to do an RPG. I should have a copy on my shelf just so I can remind myself of what a truly bad game book really is. ;)

At DunDraCon last month, a nice old lady was demonstrating a customizable board game in the dealer's room. It seemed kind of interesting, and I empathized with this kindly grandmother-type being cooped up with a mob of weirdo gamers, so I bought a start-up package.

When I opened it up later, I was panicked to learn that the game was designed by none other than the infamous Raven c.s. McCracken! If only I'd known before I shelled out money... :)

The World of Synibarr

I remember in the old campaign one of the guys that came on and off loved this game and wanted us all to play it with him and felt hurt that none was interested.

Then again that was the guy that had keep bugging the GM to let him watch his wedding-night video :rolleyes:

Z.O.T.H "MEMORY QUERY COMPLETE"