The Perfect Alibi

SleepyDrug

I'm updating a mentalist for my Champions campaign. I want her to be able to avoid conviction by keeping a small group of conditioned people that she possesses when acting in her villainous identity. Thus, the actual villain is never arrested or put on trial.

Would this best be done via duplication? or possession and a number of followers.

Re: The Perfect Alibi

One interesting way might be with the creative use of the Deep Cover Perk. She possesses one of her flunkies, commits crimes, and if she's ever caught in that persona, then that Deep Cover is "blown," she can't use it anymore, and she has to pony up points for a new one. And if you manage to catch her when she has no more zombified victims (ie., just has no more Deep Covers) then you've actually caught her.

Note that nothing in the description of Deep Cover implies that you can actually use it to escape "really" being in custody; this is just a suggestion based on the flavor involved. If you went this route, you'd be admittedly fudging the exact mechanics. :)

As a villain concept, I love this idea!

All I really see here is a character with Mind Control (not necessarily strong) she used to make her "extensions" commit a crime, than somehow deliver the loot to her. If she makes use of the same people over an over again, I'd call them Followers, but built with necessary Psych Lims or Powers to simulate the effects of having been mind controlled.

I'd go with Followers only because it saves time. There won't be any chances of the Mind Control wearing off or even failing to take effect. These are people specially conditioned for it.

Of course, when they get caught, they are still Followers and don't get replaced. After more then a few get captured, perhaps she can use the rest for a jail break.

One interesting way might be with the creative use of the Deep Cover Perk. She possesses one of her flunkies, commits crimes, and if she's ever caught in that persona, then that Deep Cover is "blown," she can't use it anymore, and she has to pony up points for a new one. And if you manage to catch her when she has no more zombified victims (ie., just has no more Deep Covers) then you've actually caught her.

Note that nothing in the description of Deep Cover implies that you can actually use it to escape "really" being in custody; this is just a suggestion based on the flavor involved. If you went this route, you'd be admittedly fudging the exact mechanics. :)

I positively love this idea, Derek! Consider it stolen for my use! :D

You might consider combining Duplicates with deep cover...you send out the dupe (special effect--you stick your mind into the helpless horse) who is essentially identical to you while possessed. The Deep Cover is what gives the duplicates their own lives when not being used--a caught duplicate is either useless for a while (until the cloud of suspicion falls away and the Deep Cover is reestablished) or captured/incarcerated/dead, in which case you're out a duplicate.

One oddity of this is that if you've got a fair number of horses, it might be cheaper for the 'duplicate' to die and be replaced with another than for you to rebuy the Deep Cover. Though that might be realistic, if it is easier to condition a new person than to remove the cloud of suspicion over the old one...

You could take some limitation of Duplication if you only have limited access to your dupes.

Alternately, you could take Deep Cover, Shapeshift with added difficulty to starting it to represent finding one of your horses and the Meat Body limitation (-1, from Cyber Hero, I think) to represent the fact that you're leaving your body behind, and then megascale teleportation, 1 movable location (you body) for getting out of jams. That doesn't leave the horse behind to take the fall, but if that's only a minor concern...

Or, of course, just take bodyjacking with limitations to represent the limited range of people you can use this on. The latter two options are especially neat if you could "pass" yourself from one horse to another mid-heist.

Or' date=' of course, just take bodyjacking with limitations to represent the limited range of people you can use this on. The latter two options are especially neat if you could "pass" yourself from one horse to another mid-heist.[/quote']

Not a bad idea, of course I don't have the spirit rules. Although I noticed in the 5th Hero Beastiary the Ghost write-up uses Mind Control, Must Merge with Target's Body (- 3/4). Is this legal?

BTW, could a possessed person be convicted for actions performed under Mind Control?

Guest WhammeWhamme

BTW, could a possessed person be convicted for actions performed under Mind Control?

Of course.

Then again, any legitimate defense can fail you. :D

In the real world, they might be able to get 'off' as insane; proving you were posessed...would be hard.

In worlds WITH mentalism laws, who knows? You SHOULDN'T (IMO), but that is a verrry long way away from _won't_.

• 2 weeks later...

If she's possessing someone else to commit these crimes, does she have any powers besides the skill and abilities of the person being possessed?

Doc

Yes. Mental Powers have no range. You just need to be able to target. She has access to ALL of her mental powers while possessing a host.