The Timing of Extra REC

Misery Lad

Okay. New subject. It's known that characteristics can be placed within power frameworks like Multipower and Elemental Control. This sort of thing is done all the time, especially where Strength is concerned. However, some characteristics bring forth certain questions of timing in the game and I thought I'd enunciate one in particular.

A player places extra RECOVERY within a Multipower slot, with the intention being that, whenever he has a chance to take a recovery, he may add the extra points to his natural REC score for an enhanced score. As long as this takes place on post-segment 12 only, there's no problem, but remember, I said that the intention is to use the extra points WHENEVER he has the chance to recover. Since, in the game, a character may willingly take time out to recover on one of his active phases if he is not currently CON-stunned or engaged in some other activity, the question comes up: Should he be allowed to use the extra REC points in the multipower slot (since activating a power framework is usually considered a conscious action) when attempting to recover on anything other than post-segment 12, or does the very act constitute a deliberate effort and disqualify him from doing so? If it's a disqualification, it begs the question as to why no exceptions have been made on what kinds of characteristics can be placed in a framework.

Thanks

Re: The Timing of Extra REC

Should he be allowed to use the extra REC points in the multipower slot (since activating a power framework is usually considered a conscious action) when attempting to recover on anything other than post-segment 12' date=' or does the very act constitute a deliberate effort and disqualify him from doing so? If it's a disqualification, it begs the question as to why no exceptions have been made on what kinds of characteristics can be placed in a framework.[/quote']

If you're allowing the extra REC on a post-12 Recovery even though the PC has not stated they are switching points to that slot then there is indeed a problem.

I would allow the character to use the MP REC any time he so desired and had the points allocated to that particular slot. If he has not switched his MP to REC then he doesn't get it, post-12 or not. Nor would I allow it's use if he was unconscious or stunned. It has to be a conscious decision and the points have to be allocated per the usual rules of MP slots. The use of the slot itself wouldn't constitute an "effort" in the traditional sense because it doesn't use END.

FREd p. 285 explains how to take a Recovery in great detail.

In short, to take a Recovery, you can take no Actions at all -- not even those which cost no END or take no time. So you can't switch your points into the REC slot then take a Recovery.

If the points were already there, then you could Recover away and get all the points you need.

If the points were there during the post-12 Recovery period, then you'd get the extra REC during that time.

If it's a disqualification, it begs the question as to why no exceptions have been made on what kinds of characteristics can be placed in a framework.

Actually there have been. You can't normally place REC into an Elemental Control, and Multipower has a caution symbol by it. The GM should look very closely at REC (or anything, for that matter) placed in a Multipower.

Well, as it has already been mentionned, the GM should really have to give you his "OK" first before you put extra REC in a MP.

Then, the problem is that on the Phase that you take a Recovery, you cannot take any other actions (except to stop paying END on active powers), so you wouldn't be able to switch your MP slots in the same Phase as the Recovery. So, you either have to shift your MP slots around in a previous phase, or take the Trigger advantage on the extra REC.

As a side note, you can pay END on Persistent Powers and still take a Recovery.

As a side note' date=' you can pay END on Persistent Powers and still take a Recovery.[/quote']

What Powers are Persistant but still cost END?

The only thing I can think of is a funky GM hand wave house rule thing, like how I allowed one of my players to put Persistant on her END Costing FF because it drew from an END Reserve. The SFX was that even her character was stunned or KOed, it shouldn't affect the FF, so it stayed on, draining the batteries.

Thanks, everyone. This has all been great advice and helps me to definitively establish the parameters of this situation for future games. Given the uncertainty that it bred among the players in my campaign, that's certainly a weight off.

What Powers are Persistant but still cost END?

The only thing I can think of is a funky GM hand wave house rule thing, like how I allowed one of my players to put Persistant on her END Costing FF because it drew from an END Reserve. The SFX was that even her character was stunned or KOed, it shouldn't affect the FF, so it stayed on, draining the batteries.

Typically none, but the FF drawing from an END Reserve is a good example of when to ignore the rule in favor of concept/game.

If a character had 0-End flight, could he just hover in place while taking a recovery? After all, it's not any harder for him than standing up but not moving would be for anyone else.

Zeropoint

Technically, no. Hovering is still using Flight and requires concentration. Same thing with a character with Gliding who just wants to drift downward slowly while he recoverd. It's still using a non Persistant Power (which is why parachutes are bought with continuing charges and are effectively uncontrolled).

Personally, as long as the character didn't move, the Power was 0 END and he still went to 0 DCV for a Full Phase, I'd probably allow. SFX permitting.