Bestiary, Book vs HD

lazarus

I'm going to end up buying the HERO System Bestiary at some point. Just because I don't really want to make up all sorts of creatures :P

Now, the main question is this: what's in the book that's not in the HD files? Is the book just a big collection of hardcopies, or does it actually have further information in it?

The other question is what kind of stuff is in there? How many creatures? What sort of spread is there? Are there Orcs, Kobolds, Unicorns, Horses and so on?

Laz

Re: Bestiary, Book vs HD

HD includes the creatures, not that this is a small number. It is broken into Fantasy Creatures, Real World Creatures and Horror/Sci Fi/Movie creature. It does NOT include Dwarves, elves, orcs, giants and more 'civilized' humanoid races. It also includes Prefabs for all of the Creature Templates, everything from Prefabs for size to venom to demonic powers to diseases.

Bestiary include all the creatures but also tips on Creature Creation, Creature templates, Creatures in Combat and Other Considerations.

If money is your worry, I'd just go with the HD file. Personally, I have both.

The Hero Designer character pack just has the stats for the various creatures and creature templates. The Bestiary contains all the background descriptions for appearance, habits and habitat, plus rules and examples for modifying these creatures and designing your own, campaign advice for using animals, and optional rules that apply only to animals and other "creatures."

Sounds like the best option is to get the Bestiary. There's no damaged books right now, but I also can't afford it atm.

I was actually planning to wait until FivER, then pick them both up. I may also be getting Fantasy Hero while I'm at it ...

Laz

The book is definately better. Long and short term.

If (when) you get HDv2, you'll have to decide it it's worth the, what is it, $7? to have someone else enter in all the stats. I tend to modify everything, and nothing from a book makes it to the table without some tweaks, so I don't bother with any of the extra HD stuff.

The Bestery has some really useful information within its pages. It provides a bunch of templates for altering creatures. Basically they are similar to Package Skills, so you could convert a cat to an Infernal Cat, or an Arctic Cat, an Aquatic Cat, or a Giant Cat, etc,. The book also provides descriptions of the various disadvantages commonly encountered by creatures which is very useful for when you want to design your own beasties. :eg:

So buy the book, I'd be surprised if you didn't like it. :winkgrin: