Jon Wrath, Agent of PRIMUS

Killer Shrike

One of my players wants to play Jon Wrath, Agent of PRIMUS in our upcoming Champions campaign.

He's got a good concept (parody Nick Fury, essentially, give or take a few differences), but the problem is after we statted hime up, even cutting corners he's at least 100 points over 350 (and thats without the de rigeur Hovercar which turned out to be just out of the question).

The Perks alone totalled up at over 30 points (including of course, Liscence to Kill, more for the ability to say "I'm an internationally renowned secret agent, and I've got a liscence to kill!" in a gravelly voice than anything else).

Also, he wanted the characters superhuman capacity to be based on a 'super-soldier serum'. Of course, PRIMUS's super-soldier serum is Cyberline. So, I made him a 'Silver Avenger' as thats what somebody on Cyberline who is not the Golden Avenger is classified as generally, from what I could determine in the source material, but being an (internationally famous) top-secret operative who made his name in the Jungles of 'Nam leading his unit the Growling Recondos on media-covered 'top secret' missions to daring victory after daring victory (as a mere Sgt, no less, because thats how the military works in comic-land apparantly) before leaving military service to enter the Intelligence community, he goes by his own name rather than his official rank of 'Silver Avenger'.

After numerous skills including Vietnamese and French {nobody speaks English in the Bush} from his 5 Nam tours {he was in country before, during, and after of course}, Martial Arts (more than 500 logged hours of Close Combat Training, skippy), a Cyberline Enhancement set of powers (+15 STR +10 DEX +1 SPD +5 BOD +5 CON, some Combat Luck and a few CSVs {hyped up reflexes}, IIRC), and of course the PRIMUS Agent Test Equipment Inventory VPP (No control over when and how powers change {the lab just gives him new stuff and collects the old}, limited circumstance change, Act 14- Burnout or Equivalent all slots, OIF or equivalent all slots) for all those neat Operatives-only spy toys he comes out a little point heavy.

The problem is, at 450 points he really isnt any more effective than the 350 point characters in the group. 100 or so of those points are buried in background flavor, miscellaneous skills, and pure schtick. All told, he labors under far more significant disadvantages than other PCs (if he pisses off PRIMUS then no more Cyberline treatments, no more Gadget Pool, no more Perks--he's left a competent normal).

I've run into this problem before on other characters, but it seems like in a supers campaign, the skill guy or any character with a significant number of background and flavor oriented abilities seem to come up lacking against focused power based characters. Power Suits help to defray this because of the points return, but outside of that it can be difficult to achieve a same-pointed character that isnt the weak sister of the group once the fists start flying.

I "solved" the "problem" by floating the player the extra hundred on the understanding that 1) his XP will be deficited until if/when the other PCs catch up (not likely to happen anytime soon, thats for sure), 2) I had him take an extra 50 points of Disadvantages beyond the limit to help defray the cost, 3) I will use and abuse him for plot hooks and story elements above and beyond whats nornal for a single PC, 4) there will be circumstances where his Cyberline treatments (I put them on a weekly dependence, lose access to Cyberline powers without) and/or Gadgets will be unavailable due to circumstances beyond his control, and 5) if the character proves to be too much, he'll either suffer a 'radiation accident' of some sort to repoint him, or be retired as a PC.

Just as an aside, I dont have a problem with PCs being at different power levels, although I do prefer to have everyone at least at a certain effectiveness in the context of the campaign; Id rather see a player have a character thats TOO powerful and then as the GM put restraints in place or kybosh the character than to see a character that is too weak and leaves its player feeling left out of the fun because his character is too frail.

Ill post stats for the guy later tonight when I am at home, but Im curious how other people would have handled it.

Also, could some helpful soul point me at relevant PRIMUS info, particularly as it pertains to Cyberline? I have all of the new material and have read the PRIMUS section in Champions Universe. I also have a fair amount of old Champions material, and I looked up the Silver Avenger in ALLIES (who didnt impress me), but since I never ran the old Champions Universe, prefering home-brews and other genres, Im not familiar with the full back story of PRIMUS.

Thanx

Re: Jon Wrath, Agent of PRIMUS

Originally posted by Killer Shrike

One of my players wants to play Jon Wrath, Agent of PRIMUS in our upcoming Champions campaign.

Also, could some helpful soul point me at relevant PRIMUS info, particularly as it pertains to Cyberline? I have all of the new material and have read the PRIMUS section in Champions Universe. I also have a fair amount of old Champions material, and I looked up the Silver Avenger in ALLIES (who didnt impress me), but since I never ran the old Champions Universe, prefering home-brews and other genres, Im not familiar with the full back story of PRIMUS.

Thanx

I guess I'm your gal.

First off, I'll refer you to the website, which has a lot of material that can be mined. (That's http://www.mactyre.net/scm/primus ). Look in the personnel section for sample Avengers. Some have character sheets, some don't.

Secondly, there's PRIMUS the e-book, which I frankly think everyone ought to own. :) The book has many more characters and a lot of equipment. And there are two PRIMUS articles that appeared in DH, too.

My main question is how is he ineffective? I'm struggling to understand that. In PRIMUS I wrote 200 point agents (granted, that's without equipment) that nearly started a riot when they came out because they were *too* effective. A few 200 point agents with gadgets can be a very scary thing -- as can an Avenger built well.

Also, a guy who has PRIMUS as an ally has a really poweful weapon. "Maybe I can't handle X alone, but if I call up a few of my buddies..."

-Shelley

Not a little biased are you? :)

I do have to say, I remember when you first brought up that site and always liked it, it didn't mesh with my Primus but it sure gave ideas.

I went the other route, and had GA replaced due to his extreme view and corruption that they presented in later Hero Products, but I did replace him with your guy :)

Killer Shrike, the best source of Primus Material beyond this site and the E-book (which I do not own, so cannot attest to) is Classic Organizations, which contains the Golden Avenger, Silver Avengers, Iron Guard and Primus Agents.

Originally posted by Starcorp Man

Killer Shrike, the best source of Primus Material beyond this site and the E-book (which I do not own, so cannot attest to) is Champions Universe, which contains the Golden Avenger, Silver Avengers, Iron Guard and Primus Agents.

The old Champions Universe I presume?

Thanx!

I can't say I agree with your decision or your reasoning. From my reading of your post, it sounds like someone came up with a character that will completely dominate all non-combat situations. He will have skills, perks and contacts vastly beyond those of any of the other characters. On top of that he will have access to virtually any power or ability he needs (through the VPP). Even though it won't be under his control, he will be the most versatile character on most teams. And in order that he won't feel left out, in the one thing the other characters may have a chance to shine in, you have allowed him to match them in combat ability as well.

Your apparent solution to this situation is to give the guy extra points and disads to enable this. And then to make sure he gets more screen time as opposed to the other characters in the campaign (your solution #3). You might as well rename the campaign Jon Wrath and friends. I would be upset if I were one of your other players.

I have played skill based characters before with no problems. And yes they have their own strengths and weaknesses. But no more so than any other character. If some of his skills or perks really are useless, then make them free. If all he wants to be able to say 'I have a license to kill' in a gravelly voice that is worth 0pts. If he has spent 10pts on it the character really does have a license to kill with no repercusions. And you should expect him to want to use it at some point in the campaign. In general all the players should be playing by the same rules. As it is, it sounds like for some reason you let this guy walk all over you.

Re: Re: Jon Wrath, Agent of PRIMUS

Originally posted by ShelleyCM

My main question is how is he ineffective? I'm struggling to understand that. In PRIMUS I wrote 200 point agents (granted, that's without equipment) that nearly started a riot when they came out because they were *too* effective. A few 200 point agents with gadgets can be a very scary thing -- as can an Avenger built well.

Also, a guy who has PRIMUS as an ally has a really poweful weapon. "Maybe I can't handle X alone, but if I call up a few of my buddies..."

-Shelley

Thanx; I havent checked out your web site in a number of years (been awhile since I ran supers), but will do so presently.

Sorry, I dont meant to indicate that this character is currently ineffective...at 450 points in a 350 point campaign. BUT when I stripped him down to 350 points he just didnt measure up well to the other 350 focused, 'younger' character because the points allocated to 'makes sense to support the characters background' abilities, mostly skills and perks, impacted his combat capacity.

PRIMUS certainly is a powerful ally, and having a ton of perks related to membership in such an organization also certainly has its up side. Which is probably why buying those abilities eat points so quickly. ;)

So, I basically floated the PRIMUS points as 'storyline enablers' to the character rather than have him come in at 350 points and be much better than everyone else OUTSIDE of combat (due to his contacts, perks, and skills) but much worse than everyone else in combat.

Also, thinking in metacampaign thought, this particular players is one of those guys with a strange sense of humor who consistently makes goof-ball gimmick characters that are definitely schticky but ultimately relatively useless aside from the 1 odd-ball thing they do, and end up just being comic relief. While I laude interesting characters, I also think interesting should be combined with 'somewhat effective as compared to the other PCs'. As the GM, Im trying to encourage the player to be more actively involved in all aspects of the in-game-play rather than constantly pushed to the sidelines due to the inherent ineptness of his characters.

If all the players in the campaign wanted to explore the socio-political significance of thier characters having super powers, or play characters that basically just parody some of the goofier aspects of the genre then I could base a campaign around it and have fun. But since the other players want to explore the more outrageous aspects of superhero roleplaying -- most of them have never played supers before and view the opportunity as a chance to take a break from the grimmer, more lethal fare they have had of late. They want more of the BIFF and BAM than the deeper story building elements available in supers.

Personally, I like the Wildcards/Astro City/Watchmen/Anything by Ross style of supers (I mean, I collected Valiant comics rather than Image back in the day) but the bulk of my players are a tad younger and see supers as being more mindless opportunities for massively destructive but mostly non-lethal violence.

In that sort of environment, I can see this guys character at 350, with half of his points buried in background items and perks, not fitting in very well, getting sidelined again, and becoming the butt of copious jokes. To him, the concept IS the character, and all of the mechanix mean nothing to him. He wants to play Jon Wrath, AGENT OF PRIMUS with all the goofy kitsch of Nick Fury at his worst. I want him to play a character he can be happy with, tell a good story, and provide a setting that all the players will have fun in as a break from more serious campaigns.

Its just a strange element of Supers games that Ive noticed before, which is well grounded characters get shafted by other players who design SUPERheroes as opposed to SuperHEROS, ie, who put the emphasis on the element that makes superhero games different than other genres -- the POWERS and was curious how other GMs who make superhero RPG thier primary genre address this, if at all.

This is a problem you can run into when you have a skill laidened character in a campaign.

If your giving him a lot of backgroud skill, perks and such he is in effect a character with EP. So you could give him some EP.

Also, if he is using PRIMUS equipment you could let him use it without paying points for it. You also would therefore be able to regulate what was givin to him.

The other option would be to "water" down his background. You could also have his stats lower than that of a Silver Avenger. If he was one of the first to take them serum it may not be what is now use. So it could be a bit lower than what a Silver Avenger is.

The only other thing would be to either allow him to run him as is. Or Run him as is and owe EP. Using either method could offend other players. Your have to balance working with this character and how it will effect the other players.

Just more fun thing you get to deal with as a GM ;)

Originally posted by Bartman

I can't say I agree with your decision or your reasoning. From my reading of your post, it sounds like someone came up with a character that will completely dominate all non-combat situations. He will have skills, perks and contacts vastly beyond those of any of the other characters. On top of that he will have access to virtually any power or ability he needs (through the VPP). Even though it won't be under his control, he will be the most versatile character on most teams. And in order that he won't feel left out, in the one thing the other characters may have a chance to shine in, you have allowed him to match them in combat ability as well.

That would be true if I expected the campaing to have much out-of-combat time. I dont. The pulse I get from the players is that right now, at this time, they are more interested in hitting things really hard, throwing around buildings, doing 30+" of knockback, going faster than speeding bullets, etc etc etc. This is an interlude campaign between other games, and is part of an ongoing effort to get full buy in to the HERO System with a group that is mostly new to the system (only myself and 1 other have played it for a long time). This is the 2nd campaign I've run in it since FREd came out, the 1st being a dark, brutal cyberpunk campaign. Im trying to show the systems flexibility off by contrasting it, AND the players have indicated that they want some relaxing episodic summer-fun rather than a serious long-term serialized campaign.

Thus, the out of combat dominance (which you are correct, he has in spades) is unlikely to be an issue in the context of the game itself.

Your apparent solution to this situation is to give the guy extra points and disads to enable this. And then to make sure he gets more screen time as opposed to the other characters in the campaign (your solution #3). You might as well rename the campaign Jon Wrath and friends. I would be upset if I were one of your other players.

Actually, I dont intend to give him more screen time; I expect to have his obligations to PRIMUS be both and annoyance and a simplifier for injecting story hooks. If anything, it will be Jon Wrath and all the people that wish they didnt have him around as part of thier sactioning agreement.

Plus, the metacampaign considerations of the players themselves wouldnt allow it. The player is not a leader among the other players. He is by nature a follower. If anything, he normally gets taken advantage of by the other players in-game because he is easy going.

Not an issue in this case.

I have played skill based characters before with no problems. And yes they have their own strengths and weaknesses. But no more so than any other character. If some of his skills or perks really are useless, then make them free. If all he wants to be able to say 'I have a license to kill' in a gravelly voice that is worth 0pts. If he has spent 10pts on it the character really does have a license to kill with no repercusions. And you should expect him to want to use it at some point in the campaign. In general all the players should be playing by the same rules. As it is, it sounds like for some reason you let this guy walk all over you.

Hehe. I wish he would try to walk over me. That would require a more direct personality, which would make this entire issue non-existant. Possesing that level of will, he would instinctively design a character that would allow him to exert some modicum of control in-character. His characters would probably be more serious, or at least more directed and focused. Sadly, the opposite is true. He would probably be happy to play somebodies pet beagle if he became intrigued with the deep emotional satisfaction of playing such a multi-faceted expression of Man and Servant vice Man and Companion, or something along those lines. :rolleyes:

I would let him play it if he insisted, but at some point players become dead weight if all they do is introduce farsical elements to an activity that requires some level of suspension of disbelief. I want him to take more of an active role in the group, and if I have to let him play an overpowered character so that, in his non-proactive hands, the character plays out as roughly as effective as lower pointed characters played by people that proactively squeeze the last drop of functionality out of those characters then so be it. If nothing else its a worthwhile experiment to see how he handles it, and as GM I can always fix the problem later if it becomes an issue.

OK, given your further insights into your campaign, I certainly understand your choices. I'm still not sure I agree with them. But as long as everybody in your campaign is enjoying themselves, its all good baby. :)

I still think you should be extra attentive to anyone haveing resentment to the fact that you spotted one of the characters 100 odd points.

Originally posted by Bartman

OK, given your further insights into your campaign, I certainly understand your choices. I'm still not sure I agree with them. But as long as everybody in your campaign is enjoying themselves, its all good baby. :)

I still think you should be extra attentive to anyone haveing resentment to the fact that you spotted one of the characters 100 odd points.

Its beyond good, its Grrrrrrrrrrrreat!

The mere fact that Im playing (er....running) HEROs again instead of d20 leaves me nearly orgasmic. Its a good thing that FREd is made of Questionite which resists accidental splashage....like spilled sodas and such......:eek:

Ahem.....what I meant to say is, ya, I will keep an eye on the character. I personally dont have a problem with characters being at different power levels as long as it is story-driven. I dont typically run a competitve environment (except when the genre benefits from it), and favor a more story building approach generally, so its not about whos character has the biggest avg damage or best to-hit percentage....:rolleyes:

However, if the other players get irritated by the character, I will 'fix his little red wagon' to the extent necessary.

I have a PRIMUS agent as well, created for one of Shelley's games way back when.

http://www.geocities.com/cyn_starwars/bio/Wraithe.htm

When I first started in Champions our GM have us 250 for stats and stuff, then 10 bonus skills free. Pure skills like KS, PS, language, Mechanics, Combat Driving, all the 3 pt stuff or less pretty much.

These helped tremendously to give us background skills and everyone had them. The 'younger' characters may have things like french in high school, or combat driving (video games), mechanics (shop class) and so on that help them even out to Agent John, and its kind of nice.

The other thing I'd suggest is that the Cyberline didnt work perfectly on him, hes only half Silver Avenger. The powers only work part of the time or just not as effectively, and the leftover points trimmed go towards his mega skill list.

Nick Fury is a great character and I love PRIMUS. Would love to hear how this character works out in your games.

With GM's permission (which should be easy in your case, Shrike), Skills can be treated as Powers, which includes Frameworks.

Either give him a 1-point Elemental Control: International Man Of Mystery, and shave off 1 point from all his skills, or else put his Languages, KSes, rarely-used Perks, etc. into a 5-point Cosmic VPP: Cool Background, for 15 points.

Jon Wrath, Agent of PRIMUS

OK, I got ruthless and cut John Wrath down to 375, which is much closer to the ballpark. I had to chop a lot of flavor as well as hamper his cyberline powers. Here he is in his diminshed state:

John Wrath, Agent of PRIMUS

Player: Jon Bristow

Val Char Cost
15/30 STR 5
15/25 DEX 15
15/20 CON 10
15/20 BODY 10
18 INT 8
15 EGO 10
15 PRE 5
10 COM 0
5/20 PD 2
5/18 ED 2
3/4 SPD 5
6/10 REC 0
30/40 END 0
34/50 STUN 3
6"/12" RUN02" SWIM01"/4" LEAP-2Characteristics Cost: 73

Cost Power END
1 Life Support (Longevity: 200 Years)
5 Regeneration: Healing 1 BODY, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (20 Active Points); Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) (1 Hour; -2 1/4), Self Only (-1/2) [Notes: No Healing Max (see FREd p. 120).]
Cyberline Powers, all slots: Drained as an EC (Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness; -1/4), 4 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Minute each (-1/4)
10 1) +15 STR (15 Active Points) (added to Secondary Value)
20 2) +10 DEX (30 Active Points) (added to Secondary Value)
7 3) +5 CON (10 Active Points) (added to Secondary Value)
7 4) +5 BODY (10 Active Points) (added to Secondary Value)
7 5) Running +6" (12 Active Points); No Noncombat Movement (-1/4) (added to Secondary Value)
7 6) +1 Overall (10 Active Points)
7 7) +2 with HTH Combat (10 Active Points)
12 8) Combat Luck: 9 PD/9 ED (18 Active Points)
45 PRIMUS Special Agent Field-Test Equipment: VPP, 41 base + 4 control cost (62 Active Points); Activation Roll 14-, Jammed (-1), VPP Powers Can Be Changed Only In Given Circumstance (-1/2), VPP Can Only Be Changed Between Adventures (-1/2), Limited Class Of Powers Available (Limited; -1/2), Character Has No Choice Regarding How Powers Change (-1/2), OIF (-1/2)
0 1) Cyber Eye: (Total: 40 Active Cost, 15 Real Cost) Find Weakness 14- (Related Group of Attacks) (35 Active Points); Activation Roll 14-, Jammed (-1), OIF (-1/2), Visible (-1/4) (Real Cost: 13) plus Nightvision (5 Active Points); Activation Roll 14-, Jammed (-1), OIF (-1/2), Visible (-1/4) (Real Cost: 2) Real Cost: 15
0 2) Energy Pistol: Energy Blast 4d6 (vs. ED), Variable Advantage (+1/2 Advantages Limited Group of Advantages (AP,Autofire x5, Penetrating, Explosion); +3/4) (35 Active Points); Activation Roll 14-, Jammed (-1), OIF (-1/2), 16 Clips of 8 Charges which Recover every 1 Week (-1/2), No Knockback (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4), Cannot Be Used With Multiple-Power Attacks (-1/4), Beam (-1/4) Real Cost: 9
0 3) Omni-Belt: Force Field (7 PD / 7 ED / 7 Mental Defense / 7 Power Defense / 2 Flash Defense: Sight Group) (30 Active Points); Activation Roll 14-, Jammed (-1), 4 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Minute each which Recover every 1 Week (-3/4), Extra Time, Only to Activate Constant or Persistent Power (Full Phase; -1/4), Character May Take No Other Actions (-1/4), OIF (-1/2) (not added to totals) Real Cost: 8
0 4) Haze Grenade: Darkness to Sight Group 3" radius (Additional Sense: Radar, Additional Sense: Spatial Awareness) (40 Active Points); Activation Roll 11- (-1), 1 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Minute each (-1), Extra Time, Only to Activate Constant or Persistent Power (Full Phase; -1/4), Character May Take No Other Actions (-1/4), Can Be Missile Deflected (-1/4), Strength Based Range (-1/4), Cannot Be Used With Multiple-Power Attacks (-1/4) Real Cost: 9
Powers Cost: 128

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver
8 +2 HTH Damage Class(es)
4 Fast Strike: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +0 DCV, STR +4d6 Strike
3 Legsweep: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, -1 DCV, STR +3d6 Strike, Target Falls
4 Nerve Strike: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, 3d6 NND
3 Martial Grab: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Grab Two Limbs, +20 STR for holding on
4 Martial Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort
5 Takeaway: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, Grab Weapon, +20 STR to take weapon away
4 Reversal: var Phase, -1 OCV, -2 DCV, +25 STR to Escape; Grab Two Limbs
4 Shove: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, +25 STR to Shove
3 Defensive Throw: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +1 DCV, Block, Target Falls
Martial Arts Cost: 42

Cost Skill
10 +1 Overall
3 Breakfall 12- (14-)
1 Bureaucratics 8-
3 Combat Driving 12- (14-)
3 Combat Piloting 12- (14-)
3 Concealment 13-
1 Cryptography 8-
1 Demolitions 8-
4 Language: French: Completely Fluent, w/Accent (Literacy)
5 Language: Vietnamese: Idiomatic, native accent (Literacy)
1 Lockpicking 8-
3 Interrogation 12-
3 Security Systems 13-
3 Shadowing 13-
3 Stealth 12- (14-)
3 Streetwise 12-
4 Survival (Temperate/Subtropical, Tropical) 13-
3 Tactics 13-
1 Tracking 8-
11 WF: Common Melee Weapons, Common Missile Weapons, Garrote, General Purpose/Heavy Machine Guns, Grenade Launchers, Off Hand, Small Arms, Vehicle Weapons
Everyman Skills
0 1) Persuasion 8-
0 2) Climbing 8-
0 3) Conversation 8-
0 4) Deduction 8-
0 5) Paramedics 8-
-1 6) TF: Custom Adder, Small Motorized Ground Vehicles [Notes: Custom Mod is Everyman Skill]
Skills Cost: 68

Cost Perk
2 Reputation, Law Enforcement, Federal Government (A large group, 11-) +1/+1d6
23 Fringe Benefit (Concealed Weapon Permit (where appropriate), Federal/National Police Powers, License to Kill, Membership: PRIMUS, Passport, Security Clearance)
28 PRIMUS Hovercar (140 Base, 60 Disad)
Perks Cost: 53

Cost Talent
6 Combat Luck: 3 PD/3 ED
2 Resistance: 2 points
3 Lightsleep
Talents Cost: 11

Total Character Cost: 375

Val Disadvantages
20 Social Limitation: Subject to Orders, Frequently (11-), Severe
5 Social Limitation: Public Identity, Occasionally (8-), Minor
10 Psychological Limitation: Vengeful, Uncommon, Strong
10 Reputation: Hardass, Frequently (11-)
15 Physical Limitation: -1 Sight PER, All the Time, Slightly Impairing
15 Hunted: Watched by Primus, More Powerful, 8- (Occasionally), Watching, Extensive Non-Combat Influence, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find
10 Psychological Limitation: Driven to complete the mission, Uncommon, Strong
5 Distinctive Features: Scarred over eye, Easily Concealed, Noticed and Recognizable, Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses
10 Dependence: Cyberline RNA Treatment, Difficult To Obtain, Powers Gain 0- Activation Roll, 1 Week, Looses all Cyberline Powers until he can get another treatment
10 Enraged: When it looks like his mission will be botched, Uncommon, go 11-, recover 14-
15 Hunted: Shadowdragon (CKC pg 193-194), More Powerful, 8- (Occasionally), Harshly Punish

Disadvantage Points: 125

Base Points: 250

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

The HOVERCar

PRIMUS Hovercar

Player:

Val Char Cost
20 STR -5
20 DEX 30
13 BODY 0
4 SPD 10
25" RUN380" SWIM-20" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 104

Cost Power END
54 Anti-Gravitic Generator and Hover-JETS: Flight 15" (Improved Noncombat Movement (x16)), 2 Continuing Fuel Charges lasting 1 Hour each (+1/4), Fuel is Difficult to obtain (-1/4), Sideways Manueverability (+1/2) (67 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) [Notes: To use this power, the car goes through some physical alterations, the tires flip down, stabilizer wings and flaps extend, and the jets pop out from concealed hatches in flanks of the car.]
Comm Suite, all slots: OIF (-1/2), Restrainable by Jamming; Interference (Only by means other than Grabs and Entangles -1/4)
5 1) Radio Perception/Transmission (10 Active Points); Sense Affected As More Than One Sense (Hearing and Radio) (-1/4)
11 2) Radar (Increased Arc of Perception: 360-Degree) (20 Active Points)
5 Spotlight: Sight Group Images, x2" Radius (+1/4), Conforming (+1/2) (17 Active Points); Only To Create Light (-1), IIF Bulky Fragile (-1), Limited Arc of Fire (60 Degrees; -1/2) [Notes: The headlights of the car have a 'spotlight' setting. The lamps are on pivots allowing a small amount of lateral and horizontal movement, similar to a rearview mirror.] 2
6 Tractor Beam: Suppress Running 4d6 (20 Active Points); IIF Bulky (-3/4), 3 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Turn each (-3/4), Limited Arc of Fire (60 Degrees; -1/2), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) [Notes: This device is contained under the car, and can thus only be used while the car is flying and off the ground.]
Powers Cost: 81

Cost Skill
6 +2 Combat Driving, Combat Piloting
Skills Cost: 6

Cost Talent
3 Absolute Range Sense
3 Absolute Time Sense
3 Bump Of Direction
Talents Cost: 9

Total Character Cost: 200

Val Disadvantages
10 PRIMUS Hover Car, Concealable, Noticed and Recognizable, Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses
6 Vulnerability: Telekinesis, Uncommon, Only when flying, Vulnerability Multiplier (2x Effect)
13 Susceptibility: Gravitic Fields, Uncommon, 1d6 damage, per Segment, Only when flying
15 Reputation: Vehicle used by top PRIMUS Agents (criminals will hide or attack), Almost Always (14-)
5 Accidental Change: From Fly Mode to Drive Mode: Encounter abnormal gravitic field or electical interference, Uncommon, Infrequently (8-)
5 Dependence: Requires regular tune-ups, Difficult To Obtain, -30 Active Points from Affected Power, 1 Week
5 Physical Limitation: Requires special technicians to repair, Infrequently, Slightly Impairing

Disadvantage Points: 59

Base Points: 140

Experience Required: 1

Total Experience Available: 1

Curses, Mattingly is one step ahead of me again!

Originally posted by mattingly

With GM's permission (which should be easy in your case, Shrike), Skills can be treated as Powers, which includes Frameworks.

Either give him a 1-point Elemental Control: International Man Of Mystery, and shave off 1 point from all his skills, or else put his Languages, KSes, rarely-used Perks, etc. into a 5-point Cosmic VPP: Cool Background, for 15 points.

Uh...yes, yes of course I thought of that, but, um...decided not to do that because.....um....hey, look at the time; gotta go.... :(

Ahem. Well, we just finished the 1st session, and though John Wrath did not get to use all of his skills and abilities, the Hovercar sure came in handy :D

Will eyeball the character again to assess the feasability of this brilliant suggestion.....

All that aside however, what do you guys think of John Wrath as printed above?

OK, I bought and glanced through PRIMUS by Shelly Mactyre, and I was suprised by the level of corruption and dark dealing illustrated therein. Quite taken aback actually. I had to reevaluate several preconceptions.

Much to mull over.......

Actually, I dont feel so bad at seeing him escalate to 450 points to feel 'solid' (at that level, his Cyberline stat-boosts were always on), as the Silver Avengers appear to be in the 420 range for the most part, with one exception.

Obviously, right off the bat I treated his Cyberline treatments as a necessary weekly regimine of gene therapy (also, I put all of his equipment to recharge weekly and require service weekly, the idea being that when he goes in for his treatments the R&D boys service the Hovercar and he gets a new load out) AND further, his raised stats arent 'on' all the time; he basically can sustain boosted levels of performance for very short periods of time.

The obvious dodge is that, while compatible with Cyberline, John Wrath proved to not be as compatible as most of the other Silver Agents after selection. Presumably he is kept on due to his long experience in the field and commendable service....or maybe in my universe, Cyberline works like this, giving performance enhancement in spurts, rather than constantly......much to think about regardless......

Thanx for providing food for thought, Shelly. More to come on the direction I want to take John Wrath and his beloved PRIMUS.......

Originally posted by Killer Shrike

Obviously, right off the bat I treated his Cyberline treatments as a necessary weekly regimine of gene therapy.

Just a quick clarification -- weekly treatment with gene therapy isn't something I included in PRIMUS (although it's a nice way to keep a grip on the character if he gets uppity)! It's more there's a massive treatment at the onset, then little periodic updates. (Check out the secret GM vault area in the CU, too.)

Additionally, who knows how much of that dark, cynical view of PRIMUS will survive a rewrite? Maybe my world view will drastically change in the next couple of years. :)

-Shelley

OK, I applied Dave Mattingly's suggestion (though it feels pretty slimy ;) )and threw most of his background skills into a VPP Skill Pool. Im really rethinking this, as it seems very very abusive. I have refused to let players have Skill pools in the past as a matter of fact. But, I figured what the hell; let see just how abusive it can be 5th Edition and have some fun with it.......John Wrath, Agent of PRIMUSPlayer: Jon Bristow

Val Char Cost
15/30 STR 5
15/25 DEX 15
15/20 CON 10
15/20 BODY 10
18 INT 8
15 EGO 10
15 PRE 5
10 COM 0
5/23 PD 2
5/21 ED 2
3/4 SPD 5
6/10 REC 0
30/40 END 0
34/50 STUN 3
6"/12" RUN02" SWIM01"/4" LEAP-2Characteristics Cost: 73
Cost Power END
1 Life Support (Longevity: 200 Years)
5 Regeneration: Healing 1 BODY, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (20 Active Points); Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) (1 Hour; -2 1/4), Self Only (-1/2) [Notes: No Healing Max (see FREd p. 120).]
8 School of Hard Knocks: VPP, 5 base + 3 control cost, Cosmic (+2) (12 Active Points); Limited Class Of Powers Available (Set List, no variance) (Very Limited; -1)
0 1) Breakfall (5 Active Points) 13- (15-) Real Cost: 5
0 2) Bugging (5 Active Points) 14- Real Cost: 5
0 3) Bureaucratics (5 Active Points) 13- Real Cost: 5
0 4) Climbing (5 Active Points) 13- (15-) Real Cost: 5
0 5) Combat Driving (5 Active Points) 13- (15-) Real Cost: 5
0 6) Combat Piloting (5 Active Points) 13- (15-) Real Cost: 5
0 7) Concealment (5 Active Points) 14- Real Cost: 5
0 8) Cryptography (5 Active Points) 14- Real Cost: 5
0 9) Deduction (5 Active Points) 14- Real Cost: 5
0 10) Demolitions (5 Active Points) 14- Real Cost: 5
0 11) Fast Draw (5 Active Points) 13- (15-) Real Cost: 5
0 12) Gambling (Card Games, Horse Racing, Roulette) (5 Active Points) 13- Real Cost: 5
0 13) Interrogation (5 Active Points) 13- Real Cost: 5
0 14) KS: Vietnam War History (INT-based) (5 Active Points) 15- Real Cost: 5
0 15) Lockpicking (5 Active Points) 13- (15-) Real Cost: 5
0 16) Paramedics (5 Active Points) 14- Real Cost: 5
0 17) Security Systems (5 Active Points) 14- Real Cost: 5
0 18) Shadowing (5 Active Points) 14- Real Cost: 5
0 19) Stealth (5 Active Points) 13- (15-) Real Cost: 5
0 20) Streetwise (5 Active Points) 13- Real Cost: 5
0 21) Survival (Temperate/Subtropical) (4 Active Points) 14- Real Cost: 4
0 22) Survival (Desert) (4 Active Points) 14- Real Cost: 4
0 23) Survival (Tropical) (4 Active Points) 14- Real Cost: 4
0 24) Survival (Mountain) (4 Active Points) 14- Real Cost: 4
0 25) Tactics (5 Active Points) 14- Real Cost: 5
0 26) Tracking (5 Active Points) 14- Real Cost: 5
0 27) Teamwork (5 Active Points) 13- (15-) Real Cost: 5
Cyberline Powers, all slots: Drained as an EC (Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness; -1/4)
12 1) +15 STR (15 Active Points) (added to Secondary Value) 1
24 2) +10 DEX (30 Active Points) (added to Secondary Value)
8 3) +5 CON (10 Active Points) (added to Secondary Value)
8 4) +5 BODY (10 Active Points) (added to Secondary Value)
8 5) Running +6" (12 Active Points); No Noncombat Movement (-1/4) (added to Secondary Value) 1
8 6) +1 Overall (10 Active Points)
12 7) +3 with HTH Combat (15 Active Points)
14 8) Combat Luck: 9 PD/9 ED (18 Active Points)
45 PRIMUS Special Agent Field-Test Equipment: VPP, 41 base + 4 control cost (62 Active Points); Activation Roll 14-, Jammed (-1), VPP Powers Can Be Changed Only In Given Circumstance (-1/2), VPP Can Only Be Changed Between Adventures (-1/2), Limited Class Of Powers Available (Limited; -1/2), Character Has No Choice Regarding How Powers Change (-1/2), OIF (-1/2)
0 1) Cyber Eye: (Total: 40 Active Cost, 15 Real Cost) Find Weakness 14- (Related Group of Attacks) (35 Active Points); Activation Roll 14-, Jammed (-1), OIF (-1/2), Visible (-1/4) (Real Cost: 13) plus Nightvision (5 Active Points); Activation Roll 14-, Jammed (-1), OIF (-1/2), Visible (-1/4) (Real Cost: 2) Real Cost: 15
0 2) Energy Pistol: Energy Blast 4d6 (vs. ED), Variable Advantage (+1/2 Advantages Limited Group of Advantages (AP,Autofire x5, Penetrating, Explosion); +3/4) (35 Active Points); Activation Roll 14-, Jammed (-1), OIF (-1/2), 16 Clips of 8 Charges which Recover every 1 Week (-1/2), No Knockback (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4), Cannot Be Used With Multiple-Power Attacks (-1/4), Beam (-1/4) Real Cost: 9
0 3) Omni-Belt: Force Field (7 PD / 7 ED / 7 Mental Defense / 7 Power Defense / 2 Flash Defense: Sight Group) (30 Active Points); Activation Roll 14-, Jammed (-1), 4 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Minute each which Recover every 1 Week (-3/4), Extra Time, Only to Activate Constant or Persistent Power (Full Phase; -1/4), Character May Take No Other Actions (-1/4), OIF (-1/2) (not added to totals) Real Cost: 8
0 4) Haze Grenade: Darkness to Sight Group 3" radius (Additional Sense: Radar, Additional Sense: Spatial Awareness) (40 Active Points); Activation Roll 11- (-1), 1 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Minute each (-1), Extra Time, Only to Activate Constant or Persistent Power (Full Phase; -1/4), Character May Take No Other Actions (-1/4), Can Be Missile Deflected (-1/4), Strength Based Range (-1/4), Cannot Be Used With Multiple-Power Attacks (-1/4) Real Cost: 9
Powers Cost: 153
Cost Martial Arts Maneuver
8 +2 HTH Damage Class(es)
4 Fast Strike: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +0 DCV, STR +4d6 Strike
3 Legsweep: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, -1 DCV, STR +3d6 Strike, Target Falls
4 Nerve Strike: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, 3d6 NND
3 Martial Grab: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Grab Two Limbs, +20 STR for holding on
4 Martial Dodge: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort
5 Takeaway: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, Grab Weapon, +20 STR to take weapon away
4 Reversal: var Phase, -1 OCV, -2 DCV, +25 STR to Escape; Grab Two Limbs
4 Shove: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, +25 STR to Shove
3 Defensive Throw: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +1 DCV, Block, Target Falls
Martial Arts Cost: 42
Cost Skill
10 +1 Overall
4 Language: French: Completely Fluent, w/Accent (Literacy)
5 Language: Vietnamese: Idiomatic, native accent (Literacy)
0 TF: Custom Adder, Small Motorized Ground Vehicles [Notes: Custom Mod is Everyman Skill]
11 WF: Common Melee Weapons, Common Missile Weapons, Garrote, General Purpose/Heavy Machine Guns, Grenade Launchers, Off Hand, Small Arms, Vehicle Weapons
Skills Cost: 30
Cost Perk
2 Reputation, Law Enforcement, Federal Government (A large group, 11-) +1/+1d6
23 Fringe Benefit (Concealed Weapon Permit (where appropriate), Federal/National Police Powers, License to Kill, Membership: PRIMUS, Passport, Security Clearance)
36 PRIMUS Hovercar (180 Base, 60 Disad)
Perks Cost: 61
Cost Talent
12 Combat Luck: 6 PD/6 ED
3 Resistance: 3 points
3 Lightsleep
Talents Cost: 18Total Character Cost: 377
Val Disadvantages
20 Social Limitation: Subject to Orders, Frequently (11-), Severe
5 Social Limitation: Public Identity, Occasionally (8-), Minor
10 Psychological Limitation: Vengeful, Uncommon, Strong
10 Reputation: Hardass, Frequently (11-)
15 Physical Limitation: -1 Sight PER, All the Time, Slightly Impairing
15 Hunted: Watched by Primus, More Powerful, 8- (Occasionally), Watching, Extensive Non-Combat Influence, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find
10 Psychological Limitation: Driven to complete the mission, Uncommon, Strong
5 Distinctive Features: Scarred over eye, Easily Concealed, Noticed and Recognizable, Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses
10 Dependence: Cyberline RNA Treatment, Difficult To Obtain, Powers Gain 0- Activation Roll, 1 Week, Looses all Cyberline Powers until he can get another treatment
10 Enraged: When it looks like his mission will be botched, Uncommon, go 11-, recover 14-
15 Hunted: Shadowdragon (CKC pg 193-194), More Powerful, 8- (Occasionally), Harshly Punish
Disadvantage Points: 125Base Points: 250Experience Required: 2Total Experience Available: 2Experience Unspent: 0
Description:
Stocky, grizzled man who appears to be in his early 40's. Has a knife or sword scar down the left side of his face through his eye socket; he wont talk about it. Wears a Silver Avengers uniform, but with a gun belt and modern loadbearing harness. Almost always is either smoking or chewing on a stogey, and smells like a ripe cigar, Old Spice, and testosterone. He is a "Man of Action", and is always on his toes, bristling with a visible readiness to leap into action.
BACKGROUND
Born in 1935 to a military family in Biloxi, he grew up a rabid patriot and joined the Army in 1953 to go to Korea where his father had fallen in battle the year before, but by the time he cleared Basic and his MOS school, the armistice had been signed (on July 27, 1953). He was stationed at Panmunjeom (Joint Security Area 1) for 1 year from 1957-1958, but that is as close as he came to the Korean War. In 1961, already a 1SG and a Ranger, Jon became involved in covert actions in Vietnam as a supposed Military Advisor, and in 1967 his LRRP unit went to MACV Recondo School at Nha Trang. After passing the 'you bet your life' trial by fire in a LRRP that saw Jon's team uncover and and rout a much larger VC force, Jon was attached with Company E LRP 51st Infantry (Airborne) and served with that unit until its disbanding on September 14, 1971. During his time in the LRRPs, he lead his team, nicknamed the 'Growling Recondos' on 37 official missions and a number of missions that officially 'never happened'. His daring successes attracted media attention, and despite their covert nature certain reporters embellished the accounts for public consumption, and 1SG John Wrath became something of a media darling in a time of a generally negative characterization of the US forces in Vietnam. The State Department and the DoA decided to take advantage of this and John, along with a handful of other 'heroes' of the war were brought back stateside in late 1971 for a USO/Public Relations tour. John was pissed by this wasting of resources and of his time, and in 1973, still stateside and attached to the Army Recruiting branch, he retired with 20 years in. He was snatched up by the CIA, entering service as a field operative as a Military Advisor in a number of small states where the CIA was establishing 'anti-Communist' resistance forces. In 1986 PRIMUS was formed, and experienced agents were acquired from other agencys. John, finishing a stint in various parts of Central and South America, submitted a request to join and was accepted despite his age (51), still being in excellent shape and extremely experienced in all manner of operations. He was was found compatible and became one of the 1st to undergo the Cyberline treatments. As a side effect of the Cyberline treatments, his aging seems to have been arrested. In the nearly 20 years of service since joining PRIMUS, Jon has not appeared to age a day; although almost 70, he still looks and had the physique of a very fit 40 or 50 year old.

He ran afoul of Shadowdragon in 1998, when Shadowdragon was involved in a bit of espionage for an unrevealed employer. PRIMUS was tipped off that he was in the country when Shadowdragon made a minor error coming through Immigration with false papers, and John lead a team of other PRIMUS agents who tracked him down and arrested him. John was able to get the jump on Shadowdragon and managed to beat him in HtH combat, although in truth there were some mitigating circumstance that contributed to this victory. Shadowdragon of course escaped imprisonment and has had it out for John ever since. He has made an appearance twice since, when it was convenient to Shadowdragon's other activities. John has narrowly managed to fight him off, but Shadowdragon evaded capture both times.
POWERS/TACTICS
A very skilled normal, with considerable Close Combat training. John is a Silver Avenger and has enhanced physical capabilities due to receiving Cyberline treatments. Unlike most other Silver Avengers, Jon must undergo weekly Cyberline treatments to maintain his boosted abilities. These treatments provide him with superhuman strength, speed, and durability. As a side effect of the Cyberline treatments, Jon's aging process has been slowed significantly, and his body shows minor regenerative abilities. As a respected and senior field agent, Jon is frequently assigned equipment by PRIMUS R&D to field test. At any given time they may collect old equipment (field test complete) and give out new equipment to test. This equipment is prototypical and thus is invariably a little buggy, but often useful nonetheless. Occasionally he'll get a dud item or one that proves to be unusually fragile, which inspires a round or two of cursing. Additionally, Jon has at his service one of the prized PRIMUS Hovercars, which has an advanced anti-gravitic generator and concealed Turbo-Jets.
PERSONALITY/MOTIVATION
Patriot. Pure and simple. He loves the goddamn U.S. of A. and if you dont like it you can lump it. He is an American of the old skool; in fact, he's so old skool, he's PRE-skool. In Nam he was a straight shooter, and a decade of teaching indigenous 'freedom fighter' and doing slimy things for the CIA in the name of National Security have had no dilluting affect on his patriotism. "In the National Interests" is an absolution of just about anything in his mind. He has the morals of a soldier, and will kill when he deems it necessary, and is known for his 'accomplish the mission at any cost' mentality. Some criminals have been known to just turn themselves in to his without a fight, knowing that this Silver Agent wont treat them with kid gloves.
Character created with Hero Designer (version 1.20)

I had some points left over, so I spruced up the hovercar a bit. I added a Megaphone and Sirens, and changed the Suppress Movement Tractor beam to a Drain Move, added another fuel charge for the flight, and bumped up the Def and Body a hair.

PRIMUS Hovercar

Player:

Val Char Cost
20 STR -5
20 DEX 30
14 BODY 1
4 SPD 10
25" RUN380" SWIM-20" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 111

Cost Power END
63 Anti-Gravitic Generator and Hover-JETS: Flight 15" (Improved Noncombat Movement (x16)), 3 Continuing Fuel Charges lasting 1 Hour each (+1/2), Fuel is Difficult to obtain (-1/4), Sideways Manueverability (+1/2) (79 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) [Notes: To use this power, the car goes through some physical alterations, the tires flip down, stabilizer wings and flaps extend, and the jets pop out from concealed hatches in flanks of the car.]
Comm Suite, all slots: OIF (-1/2), Restrainable by Jamming; Interference (Only by means other than Grabs and Entangles -1/4)
5 1) Radio Perception/Transmission (10 Active Points); Sense Affected As More Than One Sense (Hearing and Radio) (-1/4)
11 2) Radar (Increased Arc of Perception: 360-Degree) (20 Active Points)
5 Spotlight: Sight Group Images, x2" Radius (+1/4), Conforming (+1/2) (17 Active Points); Only To Create Light (-1), IIF Bulky Fragile (-1), Limited Arc of Fire (60 Degrees; -1/2) [Notes: The headlights of the car have a 'spotlight' setting. The lamps are on pivots allowing a small amount of lateral and horizontal movement, similar to a rearview mirror.] 2
20 Megaphone & Sirens: Aid 5d6 (max. Aided Points: 30): PRESENSE (50 Active Points); OIF Bulky (-1), Only to give 'Cop Commands' (Power loses about a third of its effectiveness; -1/2) [Notes: Standard Effect Rule, +15 PRE]
10 Stasis Beams: Drain 3d6: Ground Based Movement (30 Active Points); IIF Bulky (-3/4), 8 Charges (-1/2), Limited Arc of Fire (60 Degrees; -1/2), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) [Notes: This device is contained under the car, and can thus only be used while the car is flying and off the ground.]
Powers Cost: 114

Cost Skill
6 +2 Combat Driving, Combat Piloting
Skills Cost: 6

Cost Talent
3 Absolute Range Sense
3 Absolute Time Sense
3 Bump Of Direction
Talents Cost: 9

Total Character Cost: 240

Val Disadvantages
10 PRIMUS Hover Car, Concealable, Noticed and Recognizable, Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses
6 Vulnerability: Telekinesis, Uncommon, Only when flying, Vulnerability Multiplier (2x Effect)
13 Susceptibility: Gravitic Fields, Uncommon, 1d6 damage, per Segment, Only when flying
15 Reputation: Vehicle used by top PRIMUS Agents (criminals will hide or attack), Almost Always (14-)
5 Accidental Change: From Fly Mode to Drive Mode: Encounter abnormal gravitic field or electical interference, Uncommon, Infrequently (8-)
5 Dependence: Requires regular tune-ups, Difficult To Obtain, -30 Active Points from Affected Power, 1 Week
5 Physical Limitation: Requires special technicians to repair, Infrequently, Slightly Impairing

Disadvantage Points: 59

Base Points: 180

Experience Required: 1

Total Experience Available: 1

Originally posted by Mayday

Hey Shrike, you got a website for Jon? I added the url of this thread to Wraithes website for later reference. She is my PRIMUS agent, and I like Nick Fury. :-)

Sorry; I have a website, but I havent touched it for several years now ;)

You can however feel free to copy John Wrath (and his trusty Hovercar) and use him for whatever you see fit; just put a byline (Ed Hastings\Killer Shrike & Jon Bristow) on it.