No Origins Nomination?

Blue

Now now, Steve, don't blame the crap they play on the radio on modern music, blame it on the modern music INDUSTRY, and the modern radio INDUSTRY.

Just like in gaming, where you have to look outside the mainstream (d20), to find the quality (Hero), you have to do the same in music.

But I do have to say, if Billy Joel, James Taylor, and the Eagles are what you're listening to around the house, I need to send you some discs...

Well, they're not the only thing, but they're certainly part of it. ;)

I wasn't necessarily blaming modern artists; you're probably right that the music and radio industries share a substantial portion of the blame.

For example, one of the many things I miss is Top 40 radio. I miss the days when there were stations playing a mix of all of the best stuff from different genres of music. Today it's all too segmented to specific interest groups, so that I end up listening to three or four radio stations over the course of the day to keep from hearing the same stuff over and over again.

Feh. Enough curmudgeonliness and thread-hijacking. ;)

Maybe We Wasn't Robbed

After reading Steve's explanation of the awards, I have to risk roaring flames and suggest that maybe we wasn't robbed. Hero 5th is an excellent game, and the recent revisions are helpful, but the rewrite isn't so extensive as to qualify it as a "new" game. Which in a way is a good thing; it's familiar yet with improvements.

Now, if Hero's new and totally rewritten products -- such as Star Hero or Champions -- aren't nominated for something, I'd be concerned.

Re: Maybe We Wasn't Robbed

Originally posted by Kevin Scrivner

After reading Steve's explanation of the awards, I have to risk roaring flames and suggest that maybe we wasn't robbed. Hero 5th is an excellent game, and the recent revisions are helpful, but the rewrite isn't so extensive as to qualify it as a "new" game. Which in a way is a good thing; it's familiar yet with improvements.

Im not sure what the criteria is, but Im sure that Steve is intelligent enough to understand the criteria, and obviously he thinks FREd qualified for the award. Im inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt.

FREd is more than just a face lift to 4th edition. Yes, its probably like 90% the same game under the hood, but the presentation, and that key 9% (I'm not counting Damage Shield as an improvement :D ) new\altered material is significant. DOJ rescued a grand old system going down the tubes due to poor management or whatever and then proceeded to personally churn out massive new material that far exceeds in volume and quality anything turned out by the previous ownership in any equivalent period of time (by a stretch!), and did this in the face of a near-total d20 market lockdown.

There are those who would have called such a plan crazy before it happened, but look at HERO Games now.

Maybe they should create a new award category: The Pheonix Award given out, not necessarily every year but only when a suitable recipient exists, to the game system which best recreates it self on the verge of implosion and springs forth again renewed.

HEROs would definitely have gotten that one. :D

RE: Steve's Music: I only ask your age because, well, Rob Zombie has been around for a decade or so, and is in fact now regarded as a venerable veteran of the industry by the pubescent nuMetal groups on the radios these days.:P

I mean, I thought I was getting old, but then you go and bust out Steely Dan, and Im like 'What? My DAD listened to Steely Dan, and he's pushing 60!' :)

Re: Maybe We Wasn't Robbed

Originally posted by Kevin Scrivner

Now, if Hero's new and totally rewritten products -- such as Star Hero or Champions -- aren't nominated for something, I'd be concerned.

Hence, my comments about Hackmaster. It's basically 1st edition D&D, with 2nd edition Bards and Rangers (and a bunch of complexity) grafted on.

It's not a New Game either, yet it won.

D

Originally posted by ShadowRaptor

I am actually glad to like a game system where the author reads these message boards as often as he possibly can and replies and talks with us. I don't know very many others that do that also.

Then you would love the KenzerCo boards. Y'know the makers of HackMaster, Origins "Game of the Year" last year.

Re: Re: Maybe We Wasn't Robbed

Originally posted by Killer Shrike

Hence, my comments about Hackmaster. It's basically 1st edition D&D, with 2nd edition Bards and Rangers (and a bunch of complexity) grafted on.

It's not a New Game either, yet it won.

This I find amusing. While I'm not going to assume anything, it has been my experiance that the person making such comments truly hasn't given HM more than a quick glance or "once over."

But, since this isn't a HM discussion board, I'll end the thread hijacking here.

Originally posted by Steve Long

WOTC did have the RPG rights to Dune for a while, which it obtained by buying Last Unicorn Games. While Owen Seyler, god-emperor of Dune gaming, worked on the d20 core rulebook for it, Ross Isaacs, Matt Colville, and myself wrote a kick-ass epic campaign taking place in the shadows and interstices of the events of the novel Dune itself. If I do say so, it would've been great, and it's a shame it was never published. We (the former LUG crew) have all sorts of cool Dune gaming stuff that we wrote but which was never published.

Hero's not likely to get the Dune license, unfortunately, for a whole bunch of reasons. But I suspect we'll see a Dune RPG of some sort soon enough.

YOU were LUG? I did not know that...I have been waiting for a really good DUNE rpg for a long time, its a shame that you can't publish it now. Sorry for the highjack but I did not know that you all had Dune and couldn't put it out. WotC sucks even more now to me.

Re: Re: Re: Maybe We Wasn't Robbed

Originally posted by Al_Beddow

This I find amusing. While I'm not going to assume anything, it has been my experiance that the person making such comments truly hasn't given HM more than a quick glance or "once over."

But, since this isn't a HM discussion board, I'll end the thread hijacking here.

I find it amusing too...amusing that you accredit the quote to me instead of MisterDeath, who actually wrote it...... :rolleyes:

Steve, why would HackMaster wining GotY be reguarded as a problem?

I find it somewhat troubling that a game created as a joke (whether it's playable or not) and which is really just a warmed-over version of 1st Edition AD&D counts as the "Best Game" that was created in 2001. I think it's indicative of some problems with the Awards process. That's all I meant.

YOU were LUG? I did not know that...I have been waiting for a really good DUNE rpg for a long time, its a shame that you can't publish it now. Sorry for the highjack but I did not know that you all had Dune and couldn't put it out. WotC sucks even more now to me.

Yup, I was with LUG until it was bought by WOTC, first as a pool writer, later as DS9 RPG Line Developer.

WOTC did, BTW, publish the Dune RPG. But it only printed 3,000 copies, which were quickly snapped up. Your best bet to find it these days is eBay, I suppose, and I've heard of it going for upwards of $150. I myself only have one copy.

Re: Re: Re: Maybe We Wasn't Robbed

Originally posted by Al_Beddow

FWIW, I own all the hackmaster books, and have created a few characters. 1st edition, with a bunch of complexity added on. (flaws, powers, training, new ways of doing skills)

It's a change, and in a lot of ways an improvement. But, it's still 1st edition at it's core.

Which is logical, since the game is based off the comic, which based it's game off of D&D.

D