No Origins Nomination?

Blue

Believe me, I'm as outraged as you guys!

That's why we're going to mount a write-in campaign and win some Origins Awards this year anyway.

There's a thread discussing this, briefly, over in "Company Questions." Once the online ballot is available (I'm waiting for the official announcement of this on the Academy mailing list), I'll post a document describing what happened and outlining our strategy for the write-in campaign.

So, please -- prepare to channel your disgust into effective action! Get ready to vote for us, and to get your gaming group, friends, family, co-workers, and idle acquaintances to do so as well. ;)

On the "who owns the con" question, Origins is most definitely owned by the Game Manufacturer's Association, not WOTC. If WOTC "owned" things, I suspect they'd win a lot more Awards, but I think if one looked back over recent years one would find that WOTC has lost more than it's won -- and in at least one instance, last year's Award for Chainmail, was given an Award sort of as a slap in the face.

I'm all for it, just tell me where I sign up. I have all my millions of pens and pencils ready.

I don't hate WotC, I don't like them either. I do bet that most of the awards at the Origins Con went to d20 products though, is there any way to find out? I am curious. I hate d20.

I am actually glad to like a game system where the author reads these message boards as often as he possibly can and replies and talks with us. I don't know very many others that do that also.

If I could I would nominate Steve Long game designer of the year for Hero 5, and the rest of the company also. Way to go for a great product.

IIRC, quite a few Origins Awards last year went to d20 products, but not all of them by any means. Game Of The Year went to Hackmaster, for example (which in and of itself could be regarded as a problem, but that's another topic). IIRC, Adventure, from White Wolf, won Best New RPG.

If there were a "d20 lock" on the Awards, I'd have a statuette on my mantle for the Wheel Of Time RPG, which was on the ballot last year. But I don't. ;) If there are lots of d20 products nominated, I think it's mainly because d20 is dominating the industry right now, not because of WOTC's influence or the like.

The way to stop this, of course, is to channel your energy into the write-in campaign when it gets going. ;)

I'm glad that WotC didn't get the rights to Dune so they could do a d20 hackjob.

WOTC did have the RPG rights to Dune for a while, which it obtained by buying Last Unicorn Games. While Owen Seyler, god-emperor of Dune gaming, worked on the d20 core rulebook for it, Ross Isaacs, Matt Colville, and myself wrote a kick-ass epic campaign taking place in the shadows and interstices of the events of the novel Dune itself. If I do say so, it would've been great, and it's a shame it was never published. We (the former LUG crew) have all sorts of cool Dune gaming stuff that we wrote but which was never published.

Hero's not likely to get the Dune license, unfortunately, for a whole bunch of reasons. But I suspect we'll see a Dune RPG of some sort soon enough.

Originally posted by Steve Long

Geez, Rob Zombie? Can't we have, like, Steely Dan, or James Taylor, or the Eagles, or Billy Joel, or someone else whose music I actually know? :)

It's all part of the travesty that is the R&RHoF. They always have some flavor of the week present for someone who will be remembered for the ages. I hope you guys play Elemental Control (that's my favorite) and follow it up with a dice solo.