The Last Word

Bazza

Re: The Last Word

Yeah' date=' we have a Right To Hire law in NC, which everyone I've heard mentioning it calls the "Right to fire" law. You don't have to have cause, basically.[/quote']

Put here it's known as At Will Employment. You're employed At The Will of the Company. They can fire you for no reason at all. The sue happy country we are however makes it so employers only fire if they have a solid paper trail.

Put here it's known as At Will Employment. You're employed At The Will of the Company. They can fire you for no reason at all. The sue happy country we are however makes it so employers only fire if they have a solid paper trail.

Well that least that is a check and balance to the system. Not much, but still.

Ah, but you can't sue in NC if you're fired without cause. That's what the Right to Hire thing is all about. Fun, huh? Your best bet is to just go collect unemployment and hope your former employer doesn't contest your claim to unemployment. Which they can also do.

I imagine it must be nice to be an employer in NC. It makes me wonder why so many jobs are leaving the state, anyway.

Ah, but you can't sue in NC if you're fired without cause. That's what the Right to Hire thing is all about. Fun, huh? Your best bet is to just go collect unemployment and hope your former employer doesn't contest your claim to unemployment. Which they can also do.

I imagine it must be nice to be an employer in NC. It makes me wonder why so many jobs are leaving the state, anyway.

You can still sue if you believe it violates civil rights or you believe there was a flagrant form of injustice, as in any state. Of course, if the shop is of <50 people, you are likely to lose. If the shop is larger, then you have a stronger likelihood of winning because all the federal regukations on fairness apply (smaller businesses are often exempt from many requirements due to the limitations of their size).

PS - also, the NC scenario is not uncommon, Oregon and SC where I have lived in the past 20 years work the same. Many if not a majority of states are "right to work" (right to fire) states.

You can still sue if you believe it violates civil rights or you believe there was a flagrant form of injustice' date=' as in any state. Of course, if the shop is of <50 people, you are likely to lose. If the shop is larger, then you have a stronger likelihood of winning because all the federal regukations on fairness apply (smaller businesses are often exempt from many requirements due to the limitations of their size).[/quote']

That's true, but the burden is on the employee to prove he/she was fired without cause and that it's a violation, rather than being on the employer to prove they had adequate cause.

And without a pile of work waiting for you? I'm jealous.

Said pile is implicit. Actually, what I find more disturbing is that two of the three offices nearest mine had turnover while I was away. I don't know yet what happened.

Turns out several folks moved to new space on a different floor. Nothing to worry about at all. A physical consolidation only. This corridor had several people working on different things, only two of whom (myself and one guy next to me who also did not move) were on the same projects, so a couple of groups moved to a different floor to get everyone closer together. This building has scads of extra space, so if anything it was overdue.