The Last Word

Bazza

Re: The Last Word

Well, I have observed about a number of individual fields that young and entering members of a field tend to emulate, consciously or not, what I call the "iconic figures" in that field. In physics, the most recent of those is Richard Feynman, which has some negative consequences. In mathematics, it's Paul Erdos, who is even more extreme.

If that idea is extendable to the country as a whole, then ... with the possible exceptions of Ball and Jordan (and Superman, who is notably fictional), there's no one there I want my kids emulating in any way.

Well, I have observed about a number of individual fields that young and entering members of a field tend to emulate, consciously or not, what I call the "iconic figures" in that field. In physics, the most recent of those is Richard Feynman, which has some negative consequences. In mathematics, it's Paul Erdos, who is even more extreme.

If that idea is extendable to the country as a whole, then ... with the possible exceptions of Ball and Jordan (and Superman, who is notably fictional), there's no one there I want my kids emulating in any way.

Yes, there is that, I suppose. Apparently the people I'm supposed to be looking up to as icons of my gender are Oprah, Lucille Ball, Marilyn Monroe, Madonna and Princess Diana.

Hrm.

Oprah -- just guessing, she had an improvrished childhood and through dedication she earned sucess is a stratospheric way?

Lucille Ball -- a pioneer in her field (she and her husband has a sucessful independent studio and Mrs Ball ran it)

Marilyn Monroe -- an iconic actress who emphasized her femininity (colloquially speaking)

Madonna -- went to New York with approx $250.00 and became mega-successful. Became an icon and expanded the role of women in what some would say a positive way, lifting some of the taboos. (feminist?).

Princess Diana - kind heart and compassion, charity work, supporting causes she believed in. Became a role model for millions, especially Britian.

Like I said, not to bad a bunch, a young twenty-something ( ;) ) could learn from their examples :)

Of the four real human males there, one's been dead for twenty years (of overindulgence and general burnout), one's a child molester, one's a mouthpiece for an organized crime syndicate DBA a religion. That leaves exactly one who might remain as candidate as a positive role model.

I suppose those people are the role models for people who think they want to define and steer pop culture.

In THAT context, the list makes a lot of sense. Though I suspect more than just one in ten of those people are or want to be child molesters.