The Last Word

Bazza

Re: The Last Word

I have a thing about yellowjackets myself. A very bad' date=' very unnerving experience several years ago...[/quote']

We have a feud. They sting me at every opportunity and I kill off their nests when I find them.

Though it's been a few years that the feud has been active.

I find if you attack them at night, they're more sluggish.

Phylum Arthropoda in general ... specifically including wasps ... have a Weakness for cold-based attacks, though getting one with a satisfactory range can be difficult. What a CO2 extinguisher does to an obnoxious bug can be heartwarming (pun intended).

All of the above sound like they require my getting too close.

I remember once that there was a wasp in my apartment, and the cat kept chasing it. So I trapped it and let it outside to keep it from stinging the cat.

I'd've killed it, but my experience with wasps is that it takes more than a single swat. And after the first, they're MAD. :eek:

A few years ago there were a few small paper wasp nests over our door. Maitenance took care of them. My Parent's house is all wood on the outside and they have a wooden deck. They always have had problems with Carpenter Bees on the deck, and last year a woodpecker decided to drill right through the wall into their attic. Now woodpeckers aren't dumb, and there were plenty of overhangings and eves it could have nested in, but it insisted on drilling. When my Parents had the hole covered by a metal plate, it just drilled a new one angling into the old one. Weird.

Hmm. I once had a woodpecker nesting inside the shingles two inches away from my sleeping head. THAT was a weird way to wake up.

Now if you could have set it like an alarm clock. It wouldn't have been so bad.

Out west, there's a species of woodpecker called the acorn woodpecker; they live in scrub oak country, down in California, Arizona, etc. As their name suggests, their preferred food is acorns. (Acorn production there, at least, can vary drastically from year to year, so storage is necessary.) They live communally (in groups of 6 or 8) and save acorns in holes they drill into trees. An acorn storage tree will have tens of thousands of holes drilled into it; a group will generally have half a dozen such trees close together (and close to the communal nest) that they use to tide them from season to season.

Occasionally they will decide to turn a wooden building into an acorn storage facility. This is a major :( for the owner, obviously.

They prefer large dead trees. They've been known to use utility poles and buildings.

Hmm. Yeah, Nature is an avid recycler.

It's also a real b****.

cybernetic acorn woodpecker = The New Borg?

Well, the scrubby oaks that make the acorns those guys eat tend not to get that big. The big trees there are old pines, mostly. So it's a division of arboreal labor, from the woodpecker point of view.