The Last Word

Bazza

Re: The Last Word

We were gone 2 weeks, of which we spent the last 3 nights at the Swan on the Disney resort complex. (We were told they have the best beds, and the beds were indeed very, very nice.) The rest of the time we stayed in Cocoa Beach, the first 4 nights in an OK not great hotel, the week in the middle in a condo I found on the web. Both were on the beach, which (if you have ever been to Cocoa Beach) describes most of the town :rolleyes:. The root purpose of the trip was to see the launch of STS-122 (on which Stan Love, a friend and a gamer, is making his first flight, and from whom we had a personal invitation), hence the emphasis on the Cape Canaveral area. It was the first time ever in Florida for all of us (me, my wife, and my two kids).

The first launch attempt was scrubbed literally as we got to the front of the line to present our tickets to get into the Cape Kennedy visitor center area on the nominal day of the launch, about 6.5 hours before the launch was to occur, and 2.5 hours before we were to take a bus out to the VIP viewing area; that was a Thursday. The following Sunday they scrubbed the launch until January. The :( smiley does not begin to express the disappointment.

We got back home after a 6-hour flight last night about 10:15 PM Seattle time (1AM biological time). Today was the deadline for fall quarter course grades, so I came in today to make sure everything was taken care of, and then to stow the fall quarter stuff, and break out the winter quarter stuff. It has not been a terribly productive day.

I can reconstruct what we did down there, but that'll go in another post. I have to get the pictures off the cameras this evening.

Re: The Last Word

Y'know, I don't lump manned space flight in with "astronomical", but it was, probably, a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I'm hoping Stan will go up on a second mission in a couple years, when our finances and off-time accruals have recovered so we can make another trip.