The Last Word

Bazza

Cold Chisel - Forever Now (from their fourth studio album Circus Animals) This was a #4 hit in Australia and their highest charting single before they broke up in 83. They later reformed a number of times since. 

This song was written by their drummer Steve Prestwich who was born in Liverpool and his father played at the Cavern Club. 

Cold Chisel - Cheap Wine

From their third studio album East. This album was their breakthrough and was massive for them. Quite a number of songs from this album became staples for the band to the present day. Here is just one. 

Live version from 1980 (This version will be officially released on Dec 2 -- so in 3 days time. YIPPEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!). 

Cold Chisel were a much better live band than a studio band. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwKo2bnGAgc

Cold Chisel - Goodbye (Astrid Goodbye)

Original 7" single version 1978

Live version from The Last Stand 1983 (two f-words near the end so safe to stop when lead singer starts talking to the crowd)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnq-wAqM2b0

Live version from Ringside 2003 -- this was the first time I saw them live

You can see what i mean when I say they were much better live. 

Q: is warfare always a mortal sin?

In a slightly different wording, this was a perennial final exam question given by a very popular (and now deceased) history professor whose particular interest was modern wars and the societies that engaged in them.

His version: "Is war moral?"

No. Sometimes war is not only necessary, but morally justified.  To defend oneself or others from aggression, for example.

In a slightly different wording, this was a perennial final exam question given by a very popular (and now deceased) history professor whose particular interest was modern wars and the societies that engaged in them.

His version: "Is war moral?"

Good responses. I was thinking about Saint Thomas Aquinas who answered it this way. I'll answer it in brief, and you can read his full response (which is three paragraphs) here

My answer:

Aquinas says war can for war to be just three criterion must be met: 1) a person in authority, 2) a just cause, and the right/just intention(1). 

Person in authority:

As you might expect a person who has been entrusted with the authority to make such a declaration, which in the USA is the President, and in Australia is the Prime Minister. A private citizen lacks the authority to declare war. A person in authority is entrusted to look after the common interest, peace and prosperity of the people (or nation) and to safeguard it and protect it. 

Just cause. 

Secondly, the cause of the war must be for a positive and just cause. For instance, revenge is not a just cause, as it comes from personal anger & desire to intentionally injure someone. 

Rightful intention

Thirdly, there must be a rightful intention for warfare to be considered just. This is to say that rightful intention must advance the good and avoid the evil. For rightful intention to be just the intention must be along these sentiments: 1) not waged for aggrandisement or cruelty, 2) but with the means of securing peace, 3) punishing evil-doers, and 4) uplifting the good.  Also a war may be considered unjust or immoral even if the first two criterion are met and fail the third one. Eg, A person in authority may declare war, he may have a just cause, but if the intention is not rightful, then it cannot be considered just. Thus the third criterion more important than the first and second. 

An historical example to illustrate this is the Athenians fighting the Battle of Marathon. In this case the authority to decide to go to war was made by the democracy of Athens which are the male citizens of the city, and also its soldiers as well. The cause was just as their were defending their city, and freedom from the Persians. And like the just cause, their intention was rightful as well too, as victory meant preserving their capacity of self determination, i.e. free-will, and that of their fellow Athenians (i.e. wives, mothers, and children), and those Greeks who domiciled in the city. 

Furthermore, issues raised by Saint Thomas Aquinas that indirectly relate to the question "is war moral" are: "is it permissible to kill in self defence?"(2), and "are subjects required to do everything that their superiors command?"(3). 

Even if you diagree with Aquinas, he offers a good guidelines as a starting off point for further contemplation. 

(1) Summa Theologica, Second Part of the Second Part, Question 40 Article 1

(2) Summa Theologica, Second Part of the Second Part, Question 64 Article 7

(3) Summa Theologica, Second Part of the Second Part, Question 104 Article 5

A Nobel prize-winning physicist identified three simple steps to mastering any subject

http://qz.com/849256/how-to-master-a-new-subject/

I wasn’t always a good learner. I thought learning was all about the hours you put in. Then I discovered something that changed my life.

The famous Nobel Prize-winning physicist Richard Feynman understood the difference between “knowing something” and “knowing the name of something,” and it’s one of the most important reasons for his success.

Feynman stumbled upon a formula for learning that ensured he understood something better than everyone else.

It’s called the Feynman Technique and it will help you learn anything deeper, and faster. The topic, subject, or concept you want to learn doesn’t matter. Pick anything. The Feynman Technique works for everything. Best of all, it’s incredibly simple to implement.

The catch: It’s ridiculously humbling.