The Last Word

Bazza

Re: The Last Word

Another solid technobabble entry: "Global Three-dimensional Magentohydrodynamic Simulations of Galactic Gaseous Disks. I. Amplification of Mean Magnetic Fields in an Axisymmetric Gravitational Potential"

Cancer:

I was wondering what the effect would be on using magnetics as an offensive weapon. Not the typical telekinetic metal objects effects, more along the lines of "heavy magnetics" -- direct rather than indirect.

Lightning is well known offensive type weapon used directly, but magnetics seem more used subtle ie non direct.

Also in near a black hole, what is the effects that magnetics play here. This is more along the lines of the offensive weapon/effect I'm imagining. And how would it scale as a weapon.

The genre I thinking of using this in is a typical fantasy spell/power effect versus a dragon.

Any help appreciated.

Cancer:

I was wondering what the effect would be on using magnetics as an offensive weapon. Not the typical telekinetic metal objects effects, more along the lines of "heavy magnetics" -- direct rather than indirect.

Lightning is well known offensive type weapon used directly, but magnetics seem more used subtle ie non direct.

Also in near a black hole, what is the effects that magnetics play here. This is more along the lines of the offensive weapon/effect I'm imagining. And how would it scale as a weapon.

The genre I thinking of using this in is a typical fantasy spell/power effect versus a dragon.

Any help appreciated.

Living matter is about the worst target for a direct magnetic weapon. Just about anything else is more susceptible. It's not very conductive (electrically); it has very little magnetic permeability. Attacking living matter purely with magnetic fields is like trying to remove countersunk screws with a crescent wrench. It's just the wrong tool.

Yes, I've seen the picture of the mouse being magnetically levitated ... so the effect isn't zero, but it's grossly inefficient.

In a fantasy world, you're free to postulate nonstandard physics. If you say that, oh, the soul or spirit or some other essential noncorporeal portion of a creature exists and can be affected by magnetic forces and thus strong magnetism becomes (in effect) an NND attack, you can do that ... but it's not real physics.

Ditto if you're sick ... your electrolyte balance is altered.

But the magnitude of the effect is small. The change is a fraction of the normal overall resistance.

I think I'd put this another way. If I was a member of a race of metallic critters against whom magnetic weaposn were exceedingly potent, and I was trying to handwave up an alien invader species for my FRPG that was just about entirely immune to magnetic weapons, I could do much worse than come up a race of creatures made of fats & proteins, with an endoskeleton of porous calciferous nonconducting rocklike stuff, whose metabolic internal circulation was done by a suspension of tiny protein units drifting in a solution of impure and only weakly polar water.

Living matter is about the worst target for a direct magnetic weapon. Just about anything else is more susceptible. It's not very conductive (electrically); it has very little magnetic permeability. Attacking living matter purely with magnetic fields is like trying to remove countersunk screws with a crescent wrench. It's just the wrong tool.

Yes, I've seen the picture of the mouse being magnetically levitated ... so the effect isn't zero, but it's grossly inefficient.

In a fantasy world, you're free to postulate nonstandard physics. If you say that, oh, the soul or spirit or some other essential noncorporeal portion of a creature exists and can be affected by magnetic forces and thus strong magnetism becomes (in effect) an NND attack, you can do that ... but it's not real physics.

I think I can explain myself a little better. The effect I'm thinking of using magnetism as a crushing attack. I want to be able to crush your typical fantasy dragon'with sheer magnetic force.

Normally magnetism is pretty weak, as we normally percieve it, but I guesstimate that it is much stronger and potent near a black hole. I further hypothise that magnetic fields would crush and rip apart the structural integrity of a 'typical starship'.

Going back to the fantasy genre, say for instance I'm a wizard casting a spell that creates a huge influx of magnetic fields in a localised area, about 10x or 100x more than nornal, what would be the fall out effects?

Some I can think of are:

- stability of the ground would earthquake

- all nearby metal would be attracted to the spells focus, the dragon

- the localised air would feel 'heavy', possibly making breathing difficult, choking fellow party members

Any other fallout effects?

(hopefully this explains it better)

(snip)

If you say that, oh, the soul or spirit or some other essential noncorporeal portion of a creature exists and can be affected by magnetic forces and thus strong magnetism becomes (in effect) an NND attack, you can do that ... but it's not real physics.

You liar! Take it back! TAKE IT BACK! :weep:

I think I can explain myself a little better. The effect I'm thinking of using magnetism as a crushing attack. I want to be able to crush your typical fantasy dragon'with sheer magnetic force.

I just thought of the other most common trait associated with dragons - fire breathing.

As you know, plasma can be controlled with magnetic fields. You may not be able to crush the dragon, but you could certainly cook it with its own breath.

I just thought of the other most common trait associated with dragons - fire breathing.

As you know, plasma can be controlled with magnetic fields. You may not be able to crush the dragon, but you could certainly cook it with its own breath.

No I didn't know that plasma can be controlled by magnetic fields. can you provide more info or a web site I can read up on. very interested.