Teleport Jammer?

Trebuchet

I'm looking for a plausible way to build a teleport jammer in HERO that does not involve providing the vessel with additional defenses; which would leave out using Force Wall and probably Entangle. It would probably be linked to the ship's Force Field. The idea is to recreate the old "We can't beam them aboard, Captain, our shields are still up" effect. (And of course this also prohibits enemy boarding parties.)

Of course, I suppose I could just make all teleport devices in my game have the Limitation "Cannot go through active Force Fields/Walls" -½. :)

Re: Teleport Jammer?

Well, you could use a Naked Advantage: Hardened (only to prevent Teleport).

Personally, I would go with giving a limitation to all the teleporter devices. That way, if some aliens have a teleporter that can go through FF/FW, the players will searh high and low to find a way to block it. :D

Hardened defence on the shields is one way (assumes that all common teleports are not AP), and giving all common teleport devices a limitation that prevents their use through shields is another. One of these is probably what you should go for. You could also go for an AoE Continuous Dispell with a hole in the middle around the whole ship, linked to the shields. Lots of points, though, and then your shields will be vulnerable to being beamed through by powerful enough teleportation devices, even when "up". The advantage (from the shield owner's point of view) would be that this method will work against any teleportation effect, not just those based on 'standard tech".

The rules dont say so specifically, anymore (4th ED did, IIRC) but, under the Teleportation section, they do list an advantage applicable to walls, entangles, and other barriers called "Cannot Be Escaped From With Teleportation (+1/4)". This advantage on the wall can be overcome by buying one's Teleport as "AP", which, in turn, can be overcome by buying multiple levels of "CBEFWT", which can be overcome by buying multiple levels of AP, etc.

While a ships shields may be bought as ForceField, they contain a significant chunk of space that one can moved into, which makes them barrier-like enough in practice to justify the CBEFWT advantage, should you choose to go that way. Or you could just make a campaign rule that "hardened" when applied to a FF includes the teleportation blocking effect at no extra charge.

Can Teleport not penetrate any Hardened defenses? I thought that only applied to Force Wall? The ship's FF is already Hardened.

Hardened preventing Teleportation was the rule under 4E, but there's now a new Advantage for various barriers, "Cannot Be Escaped With Teleportation" (+1/4). It's still overcome by Armor Piercing on Teleport, though, and "stacks" the same way that Hardened does. (FREd. p. 150)

Can Teleport not penetrate any Hardened defenses? I thought that only applied to Force Wall? The ship's FF is already Hardened.

Your right. I keep getting confused because you can buy AP on Teleport to penetrate things that have "Cannot Be Escaped From With Teleportation (+1/4)", as mentionned by Outsider. Sorry about that.