FH Grimoire 2: Who has it?

Gunrunner

I was wondering what those who have FHG 2 thought of it in general. Also, are the new spell groups (Dark Magic, Chaos Magic, etc.) just sub-categories of existing arcana (such as Wizardry and Thaumaturgy) or are they arcana themselves that require wizards learn an entirely new skill? I would certainly hope for the former, but I suppose that if I don't like it I can change it anyways :)

Re: FH Grimoire 2: Who has it?

I've had it since the day it shipped.

Overall good, maybe a bit high powered, but on backing that I found Grimoire one also seemed a bit high powered.

A lot of spells have active costs of 60, 70, 80, or a 100 or more, when I always assumed an active cost of 30 ought to be normal for Fantasy Hero.

I've got a review coming, but it's been slow - it's hard to break down a powers book for a review.

I could have picked it up last weekend... but I decided against it. I've really got no budget for game books, and it's nearly run down already :(

Laz

What do you mean it's nearly run down? Thank you for the responses, but can someone answer my question? I'll read your review with gratitude, Arcady, but I'm just too impatient to wait for an answer ;)

What do you mean it's nearly run down?

His budget. It’s nearly run down so he has to pick and choose which books he buys.

Thank you for the responses, but can someone answer my question? I'll read your review with gratitude, Arcady, but I'm just too impatient to wait for an answer ;)

Obviously :)

I’ve had it for a couple of weeks, and while I can honestly say that I haven’t read it straight through, I think it’s a great resource. I like the increased styles of magic. Like arcady I think they’re a bit high-powered, but I can get around that. If you have FHG and you liked it, get the FHG II. That’s the best I can tell ya.

You can check out the following reviews for FHGII - but the quick answer is that yes, they are seperate arcana but in many cases the text discusses arcana that it is associated with [i.e. Black Magic has numerous spells listed from FHG that are acceptible].

Posted the FHGII Review :)

This is just me but here is what how I do it.

Fantasy supplement reviews of mine will go on ENworld. Things like DC or Champions will be submitted to RPG.net or to Gaming Report. ENworld is where I hang for fantasy so it is where I prefer to post reviews but feel that I should spread the wealth rather than posting reviews in only one place. :angel:

I don't have a take on Grimoire I yet, other than that if it comes up having the same problem once I get to looking at it in detail, I will see the same issue. I scanned it enough to be able to do the grimoire II review, but have yet to read it.

During the half off sale I bought a lot of Hero books and have been going through them one by one. I'm doing reviews now, but focusing on the books that are newer or less covered.

Posting to rpg.net: it does take time, typically posting a review the same day to both sites will cause it to show up one to two weeks later on rpg.net.

I did NOT post my grimoire II review there yet, because I wanted a day to read it and see if any comments showed up on it that made me need to correct it. You can edit your reviews on enworld, but not at rpg.net.

The only real reason to post reviews at enworld is to try and convince the DnD people to change game systems... rpg.net will frankly reach a more friendly audiance, but you have the delay issue.

I just picked up my copy of FHGII at Gen-Con over the weekend. Since I also picked up Turakian Age and FH:Battlegrounds at the same time, I wasn't really able to give FHGII more than a cursory glance on the way home. I did see a few spells that might be too powerful for beginning to middle level PC's. However, both FHG books are outstanding resources for NPC wizard making. And, if something is too overpowered, just remove a d6 (or whatever) to tweak to fit your campaign guidelines.

In my experience, players like making their own spells anyway for the most part, and don't want to just pick and choose them out of a book, so I wouldn't let the high powered spells steer me too far away from the Grimoire series if I were you. They're a GREAT DM timesaver...and that's time you can use to come up with far more creative ways to kill your play...

ERRRR...

Challenge your players. ;)