I have it! I have it!

Vanguard

Guest Worldmaker

Re: I have it! I have it!

You know, I noticed that the book doesn't mention some of the more home-grown organized crime groups, like the Red Neck Mafia active across the South. Totally different culture than the standard Italian mob...

You know' date=' I noticed that the book doesn't mention some of the more home-grown organized crime groups, like the Red Neck Mafia active across the South. Totally different culture than the standard Italian mob...[/quote']

I'm pretty sure that that's going to be part of Deliverance Hero. Which should cover moonshiners, home-growers, College Football (FSU, Florida, Miami), the klan, John Lee Pettimore, Boss Hog, and pretty much any Burt Reynolds movie.

Look for Deliverance Hero in your FLGS in 2006. Only from Hero Games.

Andy :joint:

"I learned a thing or two from Charile don't you know

You better stay away from Copperhead Road."

Guest Worldmaker

I'm pretty sure that that's going to be part of Deliverance Hero. Which should cover moonshiners, home-growers, College Football (FSU, Florida, Miami), the klan, John Lee Pettimore, Boss Hog, and pretty much any Burt Reynolds movie.

LOL! Cool.

But seriously, I think the entire genre of southern organized crime is pretty much ignored in the book, which is surprising given how many times it shows up in TV and movies.

But seriously' date=' I think the entire genre of southern organized crime is pretty much ignored in the book, which is surprising given how many times it shows up in TV and movies.[/quote']Well, Steve and the Hero East crew have to live in that area, you know. Maybe certain parties were "encouraging" them not to include it. ;)

Since I'm not willing to do "in the field" research on this subject, :) I'm restricted to what I can find research materials on. I have what I think could modestly be described as a pretty thorough library on the subject of crime (organized and otherwise), but none of my sources touch on Southern US crime to any great extent (other than some minor mentions of Mafia activity in New Orleans).

If you or anyone else can point me in the direction of some good research material, I'll be glad to cover 'em in The Underworld Sourcebook. After all, if I'm willing to discuss obscure southern Italy groups, southern U.S. groups are fair game as well. :hex:

Well, it looks like I've got every rule and suggestion I'll ever need for gunfighting now that I have DC and UMA. Am I correct that the HoJ in 5th Ed. doesn't teleport his guns to and from a pocket dimension? Are we going to see any more description of the Manifesto of Justice?

Guest Worldmaker

If you or anyone else can point me in the direction of some good research material' date=' I'll be glad to cover 'em in [i']The Underworld Sourcebook.[/i] After all, if I'm willing to discuss obscure southern Italy groups, southern U.S. groups are fair game as well. :hex:

All you needed to do was ask... I've got cousins currently doing time in various southern penitentiaries for various ill-favored acts.

Try doing google searches for "Dixie Mafia". What you're mostly dealing with is extended family groups, plus friends, who tend to run narcotics, weapons, and stolen car rings. Occasionally you get a gigantic cosa-nostra like structure made of several groups that team up under one central Boss... and more than a few of them have been in the "Boss Hogg" vein over the years, though that stereotype has died out since the 80's.

Sorry to be a downer but...

I got it a few hours ago so I've only had a chance to give it a quick once over. Nice job over all but in my opinion it is still Dark Champions not "Action Hero" as it was strongly suggested it would be, yes it includes a little more for non-vigillante games (basically added Eye for an Eye) but overall the book still focuses on vigilante crime fighting (and even says so right in the genre section).

The Underworld, Packages, forensics, and the world organizations sections are nicely done but about 1/3 or more of the book is for the Champions in the title and has little to do with "Danger International".

Unfortunately I also thought the firearms are a further step backwards, as has been the case with each edition after 3rd (3rd ed was the best, 4th ed made them a little more bland, 5th added alot of inconsistancy and DC takes this a step further) on the plus side we now have Piercing as a semi official rule and I can now dump the official HERO rules for small arms for my own since I don't remotely agree with most of the new official ones.

Overall this is a good supplement for Dark Champions and well done (except for the firearms section which I really don't care for) and as such it has some utility for non-supers genres but as a replacement for Danger International it falls flat for me. Still a good purchase for me but my hopes were raised and my concerns about the focus of the book proved to be true.

I will be watching for the expected supplements hoping we will eventually see one for Danger International.

Since I'm not willing to do "in the field" research on this subject, :) I'm restricted to what I can find research materials on. I have what I think could modestly be described as a pretty thorough library on the subject of crime (organized and otherwise), but none of my sources touch on Southern US crime to any great extent (other than some minor mentions of Mafia activity in New Orleans).

If you or anyone else can point me in the direction of some good research material, I'll be glad to cover 'em in The Underworld Sourcebook. After all, if I'm willing to discuss obscure southern Italy groups, southern U.S. groups are fair game as well. :hex:

Looks like you will need to sit down and have a Walking Tall festival in the Long home, 6 hours of Joe Don Baker kicking moonshiner hineys with an Axe handle. :)

Guest Worldmaker

Looks like you will need to sit down and have a Walking Tall festival in the Long home' date=' 6 hours of Joe Don Baker kicking moonshiner hineys with an Axe handle. :)[/quote']

Not to mention the remake starting the Rock, at least one of the Treat Williams "Substitute" films, "Roadhouse", and any other crime film set in the south.

Guest Worldmaker

Why' date=' the Dukes of Hazard is just like Southern Law Enforcement, isn't it?[/quote']

Well... hurm... sort of... if you're doing a comedy campaign. :)

Though that does remind me... a couple of Miami Vice episodes included villains that fit the "Redneck Mafia" mold. One of the better ones was "Glades".