Help me build the Civic Guard

Hermit

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Help me build the Civic Guard

Uncle Walt did not die. Instead' date=' the corporation he founded held him in cryo-stasis until Animatronic technology was ready for him. Now revived at last, he stands for Truth, Justice, and the American Dollar. He is: Anima-Cop.[/quote']

Nah, been there, done that in Shadow Run (in my version Disney is a top 5 mega corp, and Walt's revived brain was permanently jacked into the net). Anyways, Walt would have operated out of Annaheim to keep an eye on his successors, not Orlando.

I'm thinking for the Orlando animatronic hero, how does the name E.S.C.O.T (Experimental Security Construct Of Tomorrow), sound to you all?

I'm thinking for the Orlando animatronic hero' date=' how does the name E.S.C.O.T (Experimental Security Construct Of Tomorrow), sound to you all?[/quote']

Heh!

In my campaign, the headquarters for VIPER's North American operations is located beneath/behind the scenes in Disneyland. :)

Nah, been there, done that in Shadow Run (in my version Disney is a top 5 mega corp, and Walt's revived brain was permanently jacked into the net). Anyways, Walt would have operated out of Annaheim to keep an eye on his successors, not Orlando.

I'm thinking for the Orlando animatronic hero, how does the name E.S.C.O.T (Experimental Security Construct Of Tomorrow), sound to you all?

While I think the idea of Disney being a front for VIPER is more likely ;) That would be fine.

How's this? BTW, I'm running out of cities I really lived in, especially since Chicago and NY are already taken. ;)

City: Atlanta

Hero: Rebel Yell

John Alten was a native son of the deep south. Born and bred in 1968 in Atlanta Georgia, he was proud of his city's long history of rebirth and bucking convention. From a young life that emcompassed the growth of the Civil Rights movement in "the city too busy to hate", John saw the expansive and progressive growth of the city all around him. The burheoning high tech corridor that was forming on Peachtree Avenue especially fueled his young mind.

School became a playground for John, and he attended some of the best. Pace Academy on West Paces Ferry Road was his second home. Ranked as one of the best private learning institutions in the country, John was allowed to shine to the best of his abilities. The more liberal approach at Pace admirably suited his mindset, something the even moe prestigious Westminster Academy would have crushed.

On graduation, John did what he felt was natural and pursued a dual degree in computer and electrical engineering at Georgia Tech. He continued to amaze and impress his teachers with the breadth and scope of his knowledge and it came as no surprise when he decided to complete his post graduate work at MIT in Massachusettes.

This was when John first encountered problems. His southern accent, languid smile and easy going manner were not well received in the brain trust of MIT. But John drew into himself and just let his work speak for him. He graduated a year early with twin doctorates and a burning desire to get back home.

Atlanta was now "the city not to busy to care" and he saw it's warmth and well being reflected in everything around him. He had gotten back home just in time to celebrate the Olympics in his home city. While he gathered the seed money for a small R&D firm, John just "unclenched" in his home environs. Then came July 27th 1996...the day of the Olympic Park Bombing.

John watched in horror from the new spartan offices of his little startup as the news continued to pour in, most it from the locally based CNN. "How could this happen?" murmured through lips almost slack in shock. The next few days blurred into incomprehensibility until one morning John awoke, really awoke for the first time since the trajedy. "It could have been stopped." The gleam of a zealot lit his eyes. "They just needed better equipment...I can make that..." and a passion was born.

John laboured for the next 4 years designing high-tech low-cost options for the Atlanta Police. His designs in non-lethal weaponry focused on sonics and restraints. In a city fast becoming the technological capital of the South, John wanted to ensure that the same technology fueling business, was fueling safety. His designs garnered patents, recognition and millions in captiol. But it still wasn't enough. John created his ultimate masterpiece, a privately funded battlesuit for the final word in protection and high tech anti-criminal warfare. The cost was too great however and the city respectfully turned down the prototype.

The path seemed clear now, all of it had lead to this...John would take the suit to defend his beloved Atlanta. At first, he was a bit of a stumbling novice, but his charm, wit and honest passion for the safety of his fellow Atlantans won over any remaining nay-sayers in short order. Taking his moniker from the Sonic weaponry of his suit and the heritage of the ciy's past, Rebel Yell guards Atlanta with the same fervor of a Johnny Reb, but with the greatest Technology available to any man.

Um...I made another one. Sorry, I'm moderately out of control.

San Francsico

The Gatekeeper (With thanks to Acroyear for the name)

Zhang She-Rui looked out across the bay. The water perfectly set afire by the setting sun, the last rays almost seeming to steam as they dropped into the wide expanse of the water. Had the city ever looked so peaceful? Had she ever seen it so clearly? Her mind drifted back to the chain of events that ended with this view.

Born in a sweltering July in 1980, Rui had been a firm representative of her astrological birth sign, the Monkey. Quick witted and named as such, she was a precocious child growing up in the bay area. Her family was a dichotomy. They embraced the traditions of the past while still striving to "westernise" the family as much as possible. This was mostly for her brothers though, for Rui, it meant hours upon hours in the family business. At least business was interesting...Seven Star Praying Mantis Kung-Fu made for a fun name and grueling regimentation. Her uncle ran the school and he expected each and every one of his nieces to never need fear the depravity of some slobbering boy.

Rui was a gifted student in the academic world as well, adapting quickly to Psychology once her college years began. Her keen insights into the human condition were quickly noticed by her professor and he suggested that she continue on with some private tutoring to get ahead of the game. Afterwards, Rui could only shake her head in disgust. Why had she been so naive? Why had she been so trusting? "Well, at least Uncle will be happy." She thought as she retold the story of her defense of her virtue. The cop looked her over once again. "Ma'am, you weigh, what, 100 pounds at most? That guy is 220 if he's an ounce. Now I know you broke his collar bone and dislocated his arm, but I think this is about as much as you'll have to deal with."

Walking home, Rui was saddened by the twists that her life had suddenly taken. She meandered up and down the wavy streets, passing Cable cars and tourists gawking and snapping pictures. But somehow she got lost. In Chinatown, for Rui, this was impossible. And yet...her she stood. On the steps of a massive mansion where none was before. She hesitantly entered the courtyard of the grand dwelling and carefully picked her way through the tranquil gardens beyond. As she reached the entry to the house, a faint "click" preceded the opening of the door. No one was inside and compelled by her curiosity, she continued. Elegant silk wallpaper in vibrant and strong yellows complemented the traditional decor. So lost had she become in her surroundings, that the next words almost had her leaping out of her skin.

"You admire my dwelling?" Rui turned slowly and confronted a legend. A myth really. Well, at least it was a 7 foot tall wizard in a 4 cournered hat. "Um, my apologies sir, I saw the door open and I.." he waved a hand dismissively. "No apologies my dear child. And please, call me Doctor Yin Wu."

That first meeting had been interesting. The Doctor said he wanted to take a more personal part in helping out the community. He wanted to find the right person to act as it's guardian. He had decided Rui was just perfect. She had been intruiged enough to take the great boogeyman of Chinatown up on his offer and the months blurred by as she learned the secrets of Alchemy, Sorcery and Chinese Black Magic. At the end of a year, her apprenticeship was over. The Doctor gave her the instruments of her new profession and a more than moderate inheritance as a coming of age present. He said he would contact her if he needed her in the future. Rui had frowned slightly at the last.

But the call never came and San Francisco had a new defender, Destiny Rose. Swift, smart, agile and working magics like none had seen before (at least outside Chinatown) she made a huge impact in a very short time. And still, no call came. Another year passed and Rui considered heading to Millenium City for the official dedication ceremony. It was as she was planning the trip that the call came. A small bird dropping an elegantly rolled scroll at her feet. The message was simple. Now that she had trust, she could work unseen. The list of targets and dates of expected completion sickened her. Well, if the good Doctor wanted to play, she'd oblige.

What happened next is now legendary in the annals of west coast superheroes. The baptism of fire that Rui went through as Destiny Rose to be free of the insidious Doctor Yin Wu. She battled the Sons of the Dragon, alone and as a group. Emerging bloodied but unbowed, she journeyed through the heart of the earth, to the soul of the city. Green fire hung in the skies of Chinatown that night. There beneath the streets of her home, she opened her soul in one great casting. No more would she just defend Chinatown, but all of San Francisco. She opened her heart and mind and heard the city's pulse. Blending the modern with the traditional. It was her family's way. The good Doctor saw that with this one action, Rui had transcended his plans and herself. He smiled slightly. "You now guard all of the city young one. I'll try and keep things quiet in my little portion" and then without another word, he was gone.

Taking a new identidy, Rui was now The Gatekeeper. Guarding all of the bay from the things that shake the pillars of heaven.

Identifying Quote: If you're expecting some fortune cookie crap, I'm afraid you're out of luck. I do however know an awful lot of Kung-Fu, so keep up the wisecracks smartass.

Powers: The Gatekeeper is a Mystic of extreme power. Her training is primarily in Chinese Sorcery, Alchemy and Black Magic, but since becoming the Gatekeeper, she has widened her repertoire to include several western styles as well. She is most comfortable with the western Druidic style, though the concept of Technomancy intruiges her greatly. She has made some tenative steps in this direction. Rui is an very accomplished Martial Artist, though not in the same category as Nightwind or The Raven.

For Rebell Yell - there were additional bombings in Atlanta and elsewhere in the South around the same time that were attributed to all being done by the same person as the Centenial Park bomb. The primary suspect was finally captured last year after he had been in hiding for a number of years. I can not remember if the other bombings happened before, after, or both, but adding in an awareness of them and a building aspect to the characters interest as each bombing happens might be a nice touch. (I was living in Athens, GA at the time).

Monument (D.C.'s hero)

Monument broke through yet another door while PRIMUS and VIPER agents battled it out outside. She found the Senator bound up and ready for transport. She made a note of the security cameras in the room… good.

“Monument!†He cried out, “Help me!†His eyes were wide and his face was pale.

The agents that were securing him turned and fired powerful concussive blasts that would have broken down a bank vault.

They might as well have been firing water pistols. Monument’s skin might look like Marble, but it was much stronger than that. The Super heroine waded through the rays of energy as if walking into a headwind. Three punches later, it was all over.

She snapped the senator free strap by strap, but continued to do so. She had no love of this man, far from it, but at least while the VIPER agents in this room were down, they could talk.

“Senator, I hope you realize just how ironic this is, given your stance on superhumans?â€

The man looked disoriented, and confused. The sounds of blasterfire continued. Then he seemed to come to, “Ironic maybe, but I stand by my stance. It’s what the people want. You super heroes think you’re above the law!†Still, he swallowed.

“I think the registration act will eventually come undone and a lot of good men and women are going to die because of it.†She tried to stay calm, and freed him from the last bond. She hoped Douglas was on the job. She hated putting him in harms way, but the man was ex secret service, he was used to it.

“As you like Senator,†She fireman carried him through the wreckage despite his protests. Already VIPER was in full retreat, and PRIMUS and the local heroes of DC were victorious.

She sat him down, pretending she didn’t notice the cameras and spoke clearly, “Take good care of the senator… he’s been pretty frightened.†She tried to mix just the right amount of sympathy with pity. Too much of the former, and others would feel the same, too much of the latter, and her contempt would be evident instead of subtle.

The senator sputtered.

“No need to thank me Senator…†Monument inclined her head, “Now, I really must be going. Thank you good folks of PRMUS.†and left.. though naturally under the pretense of leaving she allowed some reporters to wean a few choice comments (Her choosing, not theirs) on the situation as she went.

Much later, in her lair, she glanced over the disc again, “This is good stuff Douglas.â€

Douglas smiled, “Good thing for you VIPER likes keeping records. They hadn’t transmitted this yet, that I could tell, but I figure this gives you what you want.â€

“True. We edit out, very carefully, the parts that remotely portray the senator in a noble or brave light…â€

“Not much to edit there.†Douglas smirked, but Monument continued..

“… emphasize the parts that have him giving up blubbering willing to give up government secrets, and then later pleading for my help. We should manage to portray him as a coward quite easily, and while folks might show sympathy for a coward, they won’t re-elect one.â€

“Sending it to his rival, or the internet?†Douglass asked.

“Both I think. Run it through the internet in parts first, make sure it looks like a copy of a copy of a copy… then voila… he disputes it. Claims someone is picking on him. Then we send the original disc anonymously. I pay Donald well… he’ll make sure the alterations are nearly untraceable. In the end, it won’t matter. Seeds of doubt will be planted, and that coupled with the money I’ve funneled into his defeat will finish him. One less anti super politician in congress.

“Donald’s one of the best.†Douglas conceded. “Guess he feels he owes you for getting him out of the Shadow Army.â€

Monument remembered the cover up she had done to keep Donald’s record clean, so he could go back to his family and see his daughter without prison bars in the way. Sometimes she felt guilty, but this was Washington, and compromises had to be made.

“I guess he does.. besides, there’s a lot we’ll do for family.†The marble seeming heroine let a note of pain enter her voice.

Douglas asked, “You want to head to Millennium City to… you know, pay respects at the park?â€

She shook her head, “No. No more worrying about the past. Just making sure the past doesn’t repeat itself. That damned registration act meant any hero not registered was denied access to important information about Dr Destroyer and his minions. Information that could have saved their lives. That’s not happening again, not if I can help it.†Inwardly, she hoped the rest of the Civic Guard never found out. Some of them would never approve... never understand.

Douglas nodded. He had more respect for her than some of the presidents and Veeps he’d protected in the past. Sure, she sometimes got herself dirty, sure she had an agenda. But it was DC… EVERYONE has an Agenda.

Thanks, and thanks to Acroyear for the name.

At first I was going to go with an ultra high tech scientist type with a huge vechicle etc. However, we seem to have a surplus forming in both gadgeteers and mystics so I thought instead maybe the character should just reflect pure politics and be very well connected and have goals that required some dealings in power of a different sort.

Monument has to do with Memorials, and of course, reminds of us of the buildings and creations meant to serve as such. That's where I got the idea of a lady Brick with a marble like appearance (Maybe she can turn it off, maybe not.. I lean towards OIHID myself) and plauged by the loss of someone close.

Besides, I always wondered what political dealings AGAINST The Superhuman Registration act might look like. I mean, we see plenty of 'anti mutant/anti meta polliticing' in the comics, but I doubt that's all that would really go on.

Hermit' date=' anyone write up Skyscaper yet? If not, I'll volunteer for it.[/quote']

No actual write up, just that brief blip I did and my commentary that it would be easy to alter Gargantua with maybe another 50 points. :) That, however, was me being lazy...

By all means, go for it if you wish :)