Converting old characters

Glen Sprigg

What are the rules regarding posting conversions of old characters? I'm talking really early sourcebooks and adventures like the Seven Horsemen, the Coriolis Effect, etc. Obviously the 4th edition stuff is unlikely to be postable, but the really old stuff might be okay. Or am I just going to have to keep them to myself?

Glen

(slowly working towards Skilled Normal)

^.^

I believe the official line is "keep it to yourself."

DOJ basically allows people to post their own original characters, but I'd think they'd want to reserve the rights on old official HERO releases in the case that they'd want to republish them at a later date.

John B.

Another workaround is the "homage" which is a superheroic/comic tradition.

For example... I want Deathstroke back. Here, I introduce the team "Killing Strike" with its members Screech, Blizzard, Impact, Red Sting, and Doom Commando even though in my personal campaign the names aren't changed to these examples.

• 8 months later...

If you'd like to post a version of any character from the Coriolis Effect, or for any other character I created, please append a notice in this form:

Name of character is a trademark of Heroic Publishing Inc, and is utilized with the permission of the copyright holder. ©2003 Dennis Mallonee.

Thanks,

Dennis Mallonee

Now there's a name from Hero Games's glorious past I never expected to see on these boards! :D

That's very generous of you, Mr. M. The Coriolis Effect does get mentioned here in positive fashion from time to time, but the work of yours that seems to come up most often is The Great Super Villain Contest. That durable campaign premise keeps being reused by old and new HERO gamers. So, does your offer include the Crimson Claw et al ?

Yes. The same style for rights notifications would apply for the GSVC, characters from Enemies III, the Primus/Demon material, Terror Inc., Flare, Icestar, Icicle, and various other characters Hero Games used with permission during the early days. Just make certain that the trademark is attributed to Heroic Publishing Inc, and that the copyright is attributed to the person who actually created the character, i.e. Primus and Demon would be copyright Andrew M. Robinson, Professor Muerte and Terror Inc would be copyright Steve Perrin.

I dont know how DOJ would feel about serial-number-filing such as Acroyear suggests. If they are cool with it then go for it. Somehow I doubt that they will be cool with it however.

Id recommend making a post over in Company Questions, which is more likely to elicit a direct response from the DOJ crew.