Telepathy Refraction

Tech

I want to create a power and for once, I'm really stumped so I throw it out to Herodom to create it:

When someone attempts to use Telepathy on him, his mind will deflect the attack so that instead of his mind being read, someone else's mind nearby will be read. The weakness being that if no one's around, it won't work. I'm good at creating powers: I created my own version of Hardened Defenses long before H.D. got officially created but this one's got me stumped.. for now.

Well, what say you?

Re: Telepathy Refraction

I want to create a power and for once, I'm really stumped so I throw it out to Herodom to create it:

When someone attempts to use Telepathy on him, his mind will deflect the attack so that instead of his mind being read, someone else's mind nearby will be read. The weakness being that if no one's around, it won't work. I'm good at creating powers: I created my own version of Hardened Defenses long before H.D. got officially created but this one's got me stumped.. for now.

Well, what say you?

Missile Deflection/Reflection, BOECV, Reflect To Other Targets, Choice of Target Is Random. You can also buy it Uncontrolled, if you wish, or even Always On (I'd count this as a rare exception to the rules wariness against Uncontrolled Missile Deflection, granted for special effect). You can put the limitation "Only vs. Telepathy" on it (probably -1 or more, GM call).

Missile Deflection/Reflection' date=' BOECV, Reflect To Other Targets, Choice of Target Is Random. You can also buy it Uncontrolled, if you wish, or even Always On (I'd count this as a rare exception to the rules wariness against Uncontrolled Missile Deflection, granted for special effect). You can put the limitation "Only vs. Telepathy" on it (probably -1 or more, GM call).[/quote']

This seems work well but M.D. could theoretically miss unless obscene amount of levels were to be bought on it. Throwing out my own idea (don't know if it's a good one but I'll throw it out anyways):

Mental Defense 50 pts, only vs Telepathy, only when other minds are around. Special Effect: someone else's boring mind is read.

Missile Deflection.. hmmm...

This seems work well but M.D. could theoretically miss unless obscene amount of levels were to be bought on it. Throwing out my own idea (don't know if it's a good one but I'll throw it out anyways):

Mental Defense 50 pts, only vs Telepathy, only when other minds are around. Special Effect: someone else's boring mind is read.

Missile Deflection.. hmmm...

MD could indeed miss, so it would be worth having some levels on it if you want to be reliable.

Having "someone else's boring mind read" doesnt' really sound like a special effect to me - if you want to go this route, you might go with either Mental Illusions or Images to Mental Sense Group (either Limited by set effect - mundane thought patterns), Triggered (Trigger = targeted by Telepathy, +1/4)

You could also buy Usuable as Attack as a naked modifier for telepathy, Usuable as Attack, allowing you to alter their target.

Reading His Mind: Usable As Attack (+1) for up to 100 Active Points of Telepathy, Ranged (+1/2), Uncontrolled (+1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Usable As Attack (+1) (400 Active Points); Always On (-1/2), Only works if another mind is in range (-1/2)

Pointlessly complicated and ridiculous.

Just an idea - Desolid for Mental Senses Only, defeated by whatever it is that would normally get around this deception. Or EGO with Invisible Power Effects, defined as "other mind seen instead", but you'd have to buy something more to ensure you'd get a "useless" mind, and this gets a bit crazy - Detect, Always On or Mind Scan, Always On, etc. - or just handwave and allow it as the SFX of IPE, though I would definitely, personally, add another level of Advantage, even if just +1/4, for this added benefit.

But I like JeffreyWKramer's first suggestion best.

Just an idea - Desolid for Mental Senses Only, defeated by whatever it is that would normally get around this deception. Or EGO with Invisible Power Effects, defined as "other mind seen instead", but you'd have to buy something more to ensure you'd get a "useless" mind, and this gets a bit crazy - Detect, Always On or Mind Scan, Always On, etc. - or just handwave and allow it as the SFX of IPE, though I would definitely, personally, add another level of Advantage, even if just +1/4, for this added benefit.

But I like JeffreyWKramer's first suggestion best.

I agree. I was checking to see if there were any other ways of building it, and you've come up with creative ideas. However, for simplicity and cost, I'll go with JeffreyWKramer's first suggestion. My hat off to you.

One other idea is to force or fool the mentalist to read someone else's mind.

Mind Control 6d6, Telepathic, Continuous, Damage Shield; Set Effect (Read Someone Else's Mind).

Readind someone else's mind would typically be an EGO+0 effect.

That build won't have much effect - the mentalist will still hit you with Telepathy for a phase before moving on to someone else (Damage Shield does not protect you from the effects of the attack that triggered it). Of course, that assumes he will move on - and at 6d6, that's far from a sure thing unless you roll incredibly, as 6d6 is an average of 21, and lots of Egoists have an EGO greater than 21 even without counting in Mental Defense. And then he'll also know right after your reactive/redirective MC wears off that you did MC on him, not to mention targeting someone else..