Bolstering the Fantasy Hero Grimoire

tgaptte

Hi,

Has anyone written up additional spells in the spirit of the colleges/schools listed in the FHG? I think this book is a great start, but as they mention in the beginning, they are not trying to be all encompassing.

One school that I noticed in particular that could use some help is Thaumaturgy. It has very few low point/roll/active point spells.

Has anyone written up additional spells for Thaumaturgy or other FHG schools?

Thanks.

Tim

Re: Bolstering the Fantasy Hero Grimoire

Here's a couple I patterned after existing Thaumaturgy Spells in the FHG:

Calmir's Cantrip of the Monstrous Form

Multiform: 1 monster of up to 150 points

Standard spell limitations from FHG: -4.75

5 Real / 30 Active / -3 magic roll

Jezric's Cantrip of True Seeming

Multiform: 4 animals of up to 100 points each

Standard spell limitations from FHG: -7

4 Real / 30 Active / -3 magic roll

Thurlond's Cantrip of Disguise

Shapeshift: 4 predefined shapes, Sight and Touch groups

Standard spell limitations from FHG: -2.25

5 Real / 18 Active / -2 magic roll

Cackleback's Fur Growth

LS: Intense Cold - plus -

Armor (2 PD/2 ED)

Limitations: Visible (-1/4), OAF: Clump of bear fur, Expendible and Difficult to Obtain (-1.25), Costs END to change only (-1/4), Extra Time: 5 minutes (-2), Requires a Thaumaturgy roll (-1/2), Gestures (-1/2), Incantations (-1/2), Concentration: 0 DCV (-1/2), x2 END cost (-1/2) (-5 total)

1 Real / 8 Active / -1 Magic roll / 2 END

Gift of Wings

12" Flight

ADVANTAGES: Usable by Others, one other(+0.25)

LIMITATIONS: Foulable(-0.25), OAF: Eagle's feather, Expendible(-1.25), Extra Time: 5 minutes(-2), Requires a Thaumaturgy roll(-0.5), Gestures(-0.5), Incantations(-0.5)

5 REAL/30 ACTIVE/-3 Magic roll / 3 END

I like them because you kept them all at a reasonable point level. I use magic as a multipower in my campaign' date=' so I'm glad anytime I see a spell under 60 active points :D[/quote']

Cool! Yeah, I am trying to fill out the college and it seems to be missing lower casting cost spells...so I'll try to keep them all under 30 active.

Tim

Gift of Fins

12" Swimming

LS: Expanded Breathing (underwater)

LS: Safe in High Pressure

LS: Safe in Intense Cold

LIMITATIONS: OAF: Barracuda Scales, Expendible(-1.25), Extra Time: 5 minutes(-2), Requires a Thaumaturgy roll(-0.5), Gestures(-0.5), Incantations(-0.5)

3 REAL/20 ACTIVE/ -2 Magic roll / 2 END

You know what would really help the more complicated Fantasy Hero spells? A straightforward explanation of what they do in practical terms is addition to the game stats.

Gift of Fins

Casting Gift of Fins blesses the target with the ability to breathe water and survive any natural underwater conditions, along with the ability to swim at super fast speeds.

This spell requires the scales from a single barracuda as a material component, and those scales are consumed in the casting as the target is infused with the essence of the barracude.

12" Swimming

LIMITATIONS: OAF: Barracuda Scales, Expendible(-1.25), Extra Time: 5 minutes(-2), Requires a Thaumaturgy roll(-0.5), Gestures(-0.5), Incantations(-0.5)

Note, this spell seems to have some issues. The combination of advantages and limitations makes it seem that the spell lasts forever.

I've a plan to start putting together an Apprentice's Grimoire, after seeing how overpowered the published ones were.

The rules of this would be simple:

• Spells cap active cost at 45.
  • In the options there can be a high powered version for up to 60 active and a low powered for 30 or less.
  • Spells should have from at least 7 to up to 15 options.
  • Spells should fit into one of the 'colleges' from the published grimoires, as well as the subcategories listed there.
  • Spells should be posted in a manner to make them easy to input into Hero Designer (which I would then do).
  • Once three spells have been done for a particular category-subcatory it is closed until all other basic categories have also hit three. From there we'd work it up to six, then nine, and so on.

Basic categories would be offensive, defensive, movement, and miscellaneous for each of the colleges of magic listed in the two Grimoires.

My plan was to kick this off here, and then start filling up a Hero designer prefab file with the entries. I've gotten somewhat sidetracked over the last month though, or I would have posted this a while ago.

You know what would really help the more complicated Fantasy Hero spells? A straightforward explanation of what they do in practical terms is addition to the game stats.

Gift of Fins

Casting Gift of Fins blesses the target with the ability to breathe water and survive any natural underwater conditions, along with the ability to swim at super fast speeds.

This spell requires the scales from a single barracuda as a material component, and those scales are consumed in the casting as the target is infused with the essence of the barracude.

12" Swimming

Note, this spell seems to have some issues. The combination of advantages and limitations makes it seem that the spell lasts forever.

Hey Paige, thanks! I like your description...also good point about the spell lasting for ever...I'll have to correct that.

Tim

So...taking Paige's suggestions into account and adding a dash of salt, we have:

Gift of Fins

This spell requires the scales from a single barracuda as a material component, and those scales are consumed in the casting as the target is infused with the essence of the barracuda.

Game Effects

12" Swimming

LIMITATIONS: OAF: Barracuda Scales, Expendible(-1.25), Extra Time: 5 minutes(-2), Requires a Thaumaturgy roll(-0.5), Gestures(-0.5), Incantations(-0.5), Restricted Duration (1 hour, +30 min per point the caster makes his Thaumaturgy roll by (-0.25)

4 REAL/25 ACTIVE/ -2 Magic roll / 2 END

"Unless the enemy has studied his Agrippa, and I have." -Princess Bride.

Sometimes sorcerers get in a tight spot, where skill with a blade, or even a barstool, makes up for the fact that you bought Fireball with Megascale Area of Effect.

An Apprentice's Study of Agrippa's Principle

or

PLAMF: Parry Like A Mad Fool

Constant

Self Only

Force Field: 10 PD

Active Cost = 10

Endurance Limitation: Increased x2 (-0.5)

Focus: OAF Any Common or Improvised Melee Weapon (-1)

Incantations: To activate only. (-0.25)

Gestures: To activate only. (-0.25)

Limitation: May not Gesture while Spell is active. (-0.5)

Limitation: Only against attacks character is aware of. (-0.5)

Requires Magic Skill Roll: -1 per 10 Active Points (-0.5)

Real Cost = 2

Active 10, Real 2, End 2, -1 Skill Roll.

A Master's Study of Agrippa's Principle

Constant

Self Only

KS: Fencing 11- (2)

Martial Strike (4)

Martial Block (4)

Martial Disarm (4)

Sword-Only Martial Art (0)

+ 4 Levels with Fencing (20)

Active Cost = 44

Extra Casting Time: Full Phase (-0.5)

Focus: OAF Any One-hand Sword (-1)

Incantations: To activate only. (-0.25)

Gestures: To activate only. (-0.25)

Limitation: May not Gesture while spell is active. (-0.5)

Requires Magic Skill Roll: -1 per 10 Active Points (-0.5)

Real Cost = 11

Active 44, Real 11, End 4, -4 Skill Roll.

Doug.

A minor quibble, correct me if I'm wrong:

Gestures & Incantations at -1/4 are presumed to be throughout the length of casting, whether that is Instant or 1 Turn +.

G & I at -1/2 are presumed to be throughout the length of the Effect. Thus Cackleback's Fur Growth cited above features the spell-caster chanting and gesturing throughout the duration of the spell?

(I have FH & FHG II, but admit to not owning FHG so am blissfully ignorant of all rules & stuff contained therein).

Doug.

Apprentices' Appentice (Animation/Summoning)

This spell animates a golem construction. Once animated, it will last for a couple of days of normal household chores or a couple of hours of backbreaking labor or a few turns of combat before running out of animation force and collapsing. Usually the golem has PS: Servant which allows it to understand basic normal household chores, but might have a different professional skill based on the task that it was created for. For stats on the lesser ones, use a normal or skilled person with +5 REC (10 points of Untiring), 20 points of LS: No Eat or Sleep or Breathe or Extreme Heat or Cold (Inhuman).

Summon 60/80/120 point Golem

+1 Advantage, Slavishly Loyal

+1/2 Advantage, Expanded Class: Any Golem

(30/40/60 Active Points)

-1/2 Crudely Constructed Golem (OIF)

-1 1/2 Extra Time - 1 Minute (perhaps longer to contruct or repair the golem between uses)

(10/13/20 Real Points)

Options:

Statuesque: the golem is a work of art

Add +11 COM (Active Cost: +3, Real Cost: +1)

Scary: this golem is just naturally frightening to look at

Add +10 PRE, -1 Fear Only (Active Cost: +2, Real Cost: +1)

Sturdy: this golem is designed for heavy lifting

Add +10 STR, +2 PD, +2 REC, +5 STUN (Active Cost: +5, Real Cost: +2)

Fast as a Horse: Golem can run as fast as a horse

Add 6" Running (Active Cost: +6, Real Cost: +2)

Another possibility to consider for "Gift of Fins" and similar spells: Instead of simply giving the spell an arbitrary maximum duration, give it a Side Effect that will require it to be turned off eventually. In the case of the Fins spell, the obvious SE would be Susceptibility: Takes X damage per Y time when out of the water. You could make the time say a minute or a turn, or even a phase if you want to be really strict. This way, the spell actually turns the recipient into a water-breathing creature. He can swim as long as he wants underwater, but when he's done and wants to come out onto dry land again, he has to dismiss the spell.

I had a player in a campaign who had almost all of his spells designed this way. He called it "Trade-off Magic" - for every magical effect you get, you have to give something up. He had one spell that turned his hands into weapons. IIRC, his right hand became a big sword blade and his left hand became a big hammer head. He could attack with these weapons as long has he wanted, but he always would have to dismiss the spell eventually, if he wanted to pick something up, or grab something or someone, or change his clothes, or write, or do anything that requires hands. This was simply built as a Side Effect that gives the Disadvantage Physical Limitation: no manipulatory limbs for as long as the spell persists.

Just about any spell could be built this way: The classic fireball? Make it like a "Dragon Breath" spell. Everytime you open your mouth, flame comes out. Very useful, but you have to turn it off when you want to talk or eat (or kiss).

Another possibility to consider for "Gift of Fins" and similar spells: Instead of simply giving the spell an arbitrary maximum duration, give it a Side Effect that will require it to be turned off eventually. In the case of the Fins spell, the obvious SE would be Susceptibility: Takes X damage per Y time when out of the water. You could make the time say a minute or a turn, or even a phase if you want to be really strict. This way, the spell actually turns the recipient into a water-breathing creature. He can swim as long as he wants underwater, but when he's done and wants to come out onto dry land again, he has to dismiss the spell.

I had a player in a campaign who had almost all of his spells designed this way. He called it "Trade-off Magic" - for every magical effect you get, you have to give something up. He had one spell that turned his hands into weapons. IIRC, his right hand became a big sword blade and his left hand became a big hammer head. He could attack with these weapons as long has he wanted, but he always would have to dismiss the spell eventually, if he wanted to pick something up, or grab something or someone, or change his clothes, or write, or do anything that requires hands. This was simply built as a Side Effect that gives the Disadvantage Physical Limitation: no manipulatory limbs for as long as the spell persists.

Just about any spell could be built this way: The classic fireball? Make it like a "Dragon Breath" spell. Everytime you open your mouth, flame comes out. Very useful, but you have to turn it off when you want to talk or eat (or kiss).

Hey Phil, thanks! That's a really cool idea!

Tim

A minor quibble, correct me if I'm wrong:

Gestures & Incantations at -1/4 are presumed to be throughout the length of casting, whether that is Instant or 1 Turn +.

G & I at -1/2 are presumed to be throughout the length of the Effect. Thus Cackleback's Fur Growth cited above features the spell-caster chanting and gesturing throughout the duration of the spell?

(I have FH & FHG II, but admit to not owning FHG so am blissfully ignorant of all rules & stuff contained therein).

Doug.

Hey Waiwode,

Yep, I think you're right. I got a little carried away with the Limitations... :D

Tim