Social Limitations Help

Guest Worldmaker

(Supernatural Being) Masquarading As A Human

Frequently, Major: 15 pts

This Social Limitation is intended for modern fantasy campaign worlds where beings of myth and legend are walking among present day humans (such as portrayed in Buffy The Vampire Slayer and In Nomine). It functions similar to Secret Identity in superheroic campaigns. Examples include:

• Vampire Masquarading As A Human
  • Elf Masquarading As A Human
  • Demon Masquarading As A Human
  • Angel Masquarading As A Human
  • Werewolf Masquarading As A Human

Guest Worldmaker
Originally posted by Wormhole

(Supernatural Being) Masquarading As A Human

Frequently, Major: 15 pts

This Social Limitation is intended for modern fantasy campaign worlds where beings of myth and legend are walking among present day humans (such as portrayed in Buffy The Vampire Slayer and In Nomine). It functions similar to Secret Identity in superheroic campaigns. Examples include:

• Vampire Masquarading As A Human
  • Elf Masquarading As A Human
  • Demon Masquarading As A Human
  • Angel Masquarading As A Human
  • Werewolf Masquarading As A Human

Now that is rather clever.

I'll take a crack out one of the others. It's based on my opinion, YMMV and all that.

NERD: Social Limitation

Frequency and Severity vary: Infrequent/Minor for most adults, Very Common/Major for minors

This social limitation is generally more severe for minors that are still in school, or adults in situations of constant, mandatory socialization (careers such as sales or teaching), than for the majority of adults.

Nerds are generally peer-identified by their "unpopular" tastes -- however, on closer examination one quickly realizes a "chicken/egg" phenomenon is occuring. Things can quickly go from popular to otherwise if the "nerd" segment of the population is seen as interested (also known as the "Sneetches" effect, from the Dr. Seuss short).

In practice, nerds desire social contact/affirmation far out of proportion to their social capability. They want to belong, but for whatever reason (often, good reasons) do not do what is "needed" to belong. This is distinct from the Geek, which often actively seeks to repel or work against the urge to "belong".

Originally posted by TheEmerged

I'll take a crack out one of the others. It's based on my opinion, YMMV and all that.

NERD: Social Limitation

Frequency and Severity vary: Infrequent/Minor for most adults, Very Common/Major for minors

This social limitation is generally more severe for minors that are still in school, or adults in situations of constant, mandatory socialization (careers such as sales or teaching), than for the majority of adults.

Nerds are generally peer-identified by their "unpopular" tastes -- however, on closer examination one quickly realizes a "chicken/egg" phenomenon is occuring. Things can quickly go from popular to otherwise if the "nerd" segment of the population is seen as interested (also known as the "Sneetches" effect, from the Dr. Seuss short).

In practice, nerds desire social contact/affirmation far out of proportion to their social capability. They want to belong, but for whatever reason (often, good reasons) do not do what is "needed" to belong. This is distinct from the Geek, which often actively seeks to repel or work against the urge to "belong".

I dof my cap to you, I had one for this in the works and you beat me to the punch. :o

Kudos to you Emerged. ;)

Just out of curiousity, Worldmaker, has anyone come up with

a point value yet for the "Known Sex Offender" SL that was

posted to the boards prior to their trashing? I'm asking you

this because I've been trying to come up with a reasonable

point cost for this disad ever since I suggested it on the old

boards.

Space Cadet :confused:

Guest Worldmaker
Originally posted by Space Cadet

Just out of curiousity, Worldmaker, has anyone come up with

a point value yet for the "Known Sex Offender" SL that was

posted to the boards prior to their trashing? I'm asking you

this because I've been trying to come up with a reasonable

point cost for this disad ever since I suggested it on the old

boards.

Space Cadet :confused:

Frequently, Major (15 Points) seems to work in most situations.

Parole/Probation Restrictions

Infrequently, Major 8- (10 pts)

A character with this Social Limitation is either on a conditional release from prison or is a first time offender who was sentienced to probation instead of jail time. Either way, the character has had certain restrictions placed on his freedoms. He must regularly check in with his parole/probation officer, cannot associate with known felons, may not be allowed to leave the city, and may be restricted from legally owning a firearm or similar weapons (where appropriate) for the duration of his sentience. If he is caught violating any of the these conditions, he will likely be arrested and sent to prison. The character may or may not have Watched By Local Law Enforcement in addition to this- as a rule, the police only monitor parolees that closely if they believe there's good cause to do so.

Guest Worldmaker

Nice work!

You know, considering that I don't have the time needed to devote to completing the Master Lists, maybe I should start just posting the ones I'm missing and let you guys do the rest. :D

Seriously, though, I do appreciate the help.

Jack Butler

Social Lim: Dinosaur

I was making up some NPCs for a Champions Game last night, and was fooling around with their disadvantages. Normally, I don't sweat the details too much, relying on the infamous "Villain Bonus" to plug any holes, but I try to get close with real disadvantages.

Anyway, I was making a Veloci-raptor. Just for yucks I gave him Distinctive Feature: Veloci-raptor (not concealable, major reaction) and (just to amuse myself) Social Limitation: Dinosaur. I laughed.

My girlfriend's reading over my shoulder and asks what that means. I said, "It means he has trouble relating to people in normal society because he's a big freakin' lizard. I'm not sure I'd actually let a PC take it."

"Why not?" she asks.

And I can't come up with a good reason. It seems like double-dipping to take a big Distinctive Feature that causes an extreme reaction and a Social Lim for the same thing. What do y'all think?

:)

James.