Character for Comment : Coldilocks

Arkham

This is Coldilocks. I am thinking of using her as a foil for the Martian Manhunter homage a player in my campaign is playing. ( Instead of losing his powers around fire, he loses them in the Cold. He has a random mix of semi-unrelated powers, in addition to being a 75 Str brick. And he's from Mercury. )ColdilocksPlayer:

Val Char Cost
10 STR 0
23 DEX 39
15 CON 10
11 BODY 2
13 INT 3
14 EGO 8
15 PRE 5
16 COM 3
5/15 PD 0
8/18 ED 2
6 SPD 27
8 REC 6
30 END 0
24 STUN 0
6" RUN02" SWIM02" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 105
Cost Power END
20 Cold Powers: Elemental Control, 40-point powers
14 1) Aura of Cold: Change Environment 4" radius, -4 Temperature Level Adjustment, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (48 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Always On (-1/2) 0
20 2) Field of Cold: Force Field (10 PD/10 ED), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (40 Active Points) 0
22 3) Immune to the Cold: Force Wall (12 ED), Hardened (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Transparent PD (+1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (82 Active Points); Cold powers Only (-3/4), Self Only (-1/2), No Range (-1/2) 0
14 4) Freeze it off: Tunneling 1" through 15 DEF material, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (70 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Character May Take No Other Actions, -1 1/2), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (0 DCV; -1) 0
44 5) Freezing Touch: Energy Blast 3d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Damage Shield (Offensive; +3/4), No Normal Defense (LS: Safe Environment Cold; +1), Continuous (+1), Does BODY (+1) (86 Active Points); Always On (-1/2) 0
12 6) Numbing Touch: Negative Combat Skill Levels (-7 to opponent's OCV), Required Hands One-Handed (+0), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4) (44 Active Points); Not vs. those with LS: Save Environment Cold (-1/2), Requires an Attack Roll (-1/2) 3
22 Chill Body: Life Support (Immunity All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents; Immunity All terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents; Safe in Intense Cold) 0
9 Numb-Handed Punch: Hand-To-Hand Attack +4d6 (20 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2), Requires A Cold Powers Roll (-1/2), Side Effects: Takes 3d6 to Hands (-1/4) 2
Powers Cost: 177
Cost Martial Arts Maneuver
4 Duck: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort
4 Touch: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +0 DCV, 4d6 Strike
4 Let me Take That: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, Disarm; 20 STR to Disarm
Martial Arts Cost: 12
Cost Skill
3 AK: Santa Clara County 12-
0 Acting 8-
3 Breakfall 14-
3 Bribery 12-
3 Climbing 14-
3 Concealment 12-
3 Contortionist 14-
0 Conversation 8-
3 Deduction 12-
0 Language: English (idiomatic) (4 Active Points)
5 Lockpicking 15-
0 Paramedics 8-
0 Persuasion 8-
7 Power: Cold Powers 14-
0 PS: Burglar 11-
3 Security Systems 12-
0 Shadowing 8-
3 Stealth 14-
3 Streetwise 12-
0 TF: Small Motorized Ground Vehicles
Skills Cost: 42
Cost Perk
3 Contact: Blackie Fingers (Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Good relationship with Contact) 8-
Perks Cost: 3
Cost Talent
6 Combat Luck (3 PD/3 ED)
2 Environmental Movement (no penalties on Ice/Snow)
3 Simulate Death
Talents Cost: 11
Val Disadvantages
25 Psychological Limitation: Code vs. Killing (Very Common, Total)
10 Psychological Limitation: Distrustful of Authority Figures (Uncommon, Strong)
15 Psychological Limitation: Greedy (Common, Strong)
10 Physical Limitation: Numb fingers, occassionally drops things (Frequently, Slightly Impairing)
20 Hunted: F.A.T.E. 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Capture)
25 Distinctive Features: Freezing Cold (Not Concealable; Extreme Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
30 Vulnerability: 2 x STUN Heat based Attacks (Very Common)
15 Vulnerability: 1 1/2 x BODY Heat based Attacks (Very Common)
Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 200Experience Required: 0Total Experience Available: 0Experience Unspent: 0Total Character Cost: 350

Height: 1.72 m Hair: Black
Weight: 64.00 kg Eyes: Blue
Appearance: Kiera is a fairly tall and slender woman of African descent. Her hair is long, black, and in fairly tight rolls. Quite noticable are the ice crystals growing in her hair. Her skin is smooth and bluish-brown. Anyone within an 8 meter (4") radius of Kiera feel the bone-chilling cold radiating from her. Kiera usually seems ill-tempered and standoffish, but 'melts' when she meets someone who is unconcerned by her 'condition'.Personality: Since Kiera cannot keep the comfort of friends, she figures she will take for herself the physical comforts of wealth.

Quote:Stop following me! I don't want to have to touch you again...Background: Kiera was a young miscreant when she was caught breaking into the home of Dr. Kali of F.A.T.E. Dr. Kali decided to keep the poor girl as a prisoner for her experiments for F.A.T.E. instead of either turning her over to the authorities, or slaying her outright. Dr. Kali had been working on a process for creating cold-weather adaptations to the human form which she inflicted upon Kiera. The experiment was a success, as Kiera was now immune to the mundane

effects of cold weather. But the side effects were severe. One of the first tricks Kiera learned was the trick of freezing a wall solid and allowing it to shatter.

With this, she made good her escape and has been on the run from F.A.T.E. ever since.

Powers/Tactics: Kiera avoids combat when possible. When forced to fight she will lightly touch someone with her Numbing touch until she can escape. If pressed,

she will use her Numb-Handed Punch. But mostly she hopes her Freezing Touch discourages anyone from fighting..

Campaign Use: Coldilocks often can be found breaking into areas of vast wealth for purely personal gain. Once in a while she will rent out her services to villianous organizations for specific missions as long as she is not expected to enter combat.

Re: Character for Comment : Coldilocks

What would you suggest for increasing her combat capability?

She should not have brick-like defenses, or even a Force Field

of major proportions... But in martial arts combat, she can

usually connect with significant results ( less so if the

hero has LS: Safe Environment cold ) And if she starts off

with a Numbing Touch she can easily avoid being hit...

I'd throw in some ranges attack option like say a "Freezing breath" attack the damage and defense issue depends in part on champain standards so it may be OK as is but the numb handed punch would average more damage to Coldi than it would against most of the characters I see.....an entangle attack might also be a good investment as well...

I think that Change Environment (-7 CV) is getting a little misused here. Normally, it applies to an area and doesn't stick to a person. Next, it is overly cost-effective when used in this fashion. There is a reason that 5th Ed. states that using Change Environment to reduce CV should be strictly controlled. To mimic the attack and make its cost resemble the special effect, I'd suggest a high point DEX Suppress with the Limitation that it does not change the target's position in the Speed Chart.

The character probably could benefit from some additional Running. This could be a large amount of running if she can generate Iceman style runways.

Limiting the Defense to the NND to LS: Cold seems a little narrow. Having ice powers, extra defenses against cold or may be an energy damage shield might be appropriate additional defenses.

Wouldn't the Forcewall interfer with the character's ice attacks unless Personal Immunity is added to the mix?

Just my thoughts.

I think that Change Environment (-7 CV) is getting a little misused here. Normally, it applies to an area and doesn't stick to a person. Next, it is overly cost-effective when used in this fashion. There is a reason that 5th Ed. states that using Change Environment to reduce CV should be strictly controlled. To mimic the attack and make its cost resemble the special effect, I'd suggest a high point DEX Suppress with the Limitation that it does not change the target's position in the Speed Chart.

Normally, I would agree, but this is using the 'Negative Combat Skill Levels' from page 36 in FREd. And a DEX Drain only to affect OCV would be more cumbersome and involve more handwaving than I am comfortable with. Mostly as I don't want this to affect DCV, or most skills. Perhaps adding a limitation so it only affects powers coming from the limb touched, so if someone can shoot beams from both eyes and hands gets touched on the hand, they can still shoot them from the eyes without penalty...

The character probably could benefit from some additional Running. This could be a large amount of running if she can generate Iceman style runways.

I am not seeing Coldilocks as having as dramatic a control over cold as Iceman. She pretty much is limited to freezing things she can get near.

Limiting the Defense to the NND to LS: Cold seems a little narrow. Having ice powers, extra defenses against cold or may be an energy damage shield might be appropriate additional defenses.

If someone has extra defenses against cold, they probably have LS: Cold. It has been, in my admittedly limited experience, a fairly common LS choice.

Wouldn't the Forcewall interfer with the character's ice attacks unless Personal Immunity is added to the mix?

Just my thoughts.

I would think so, but I based this on the 'Totally Acid-Proof' power from USPD which has a similar build. ( Page 10 )

Re: Character for Comment : ColdilocksHere is a slightly revised Coldilocks.Upon a re-read, I think negative skill levels already require an attack roll, being naturally no-range and costing end. ( But I may be wrong. I often am...)It is also specifying that it only applies to attacks emitting from a singlelimb per attack.(edit: Oh, and the Side Effects of the Numb Hand Punch only go off whenshe fails the Power Skill roll. )ColdilocksPlayer: NPC

Val** Char*** Cost
10** STR 0
23** DEX 39
15** CON 10
11** BODY 2
13** INT 3
14** EGO 8
15** PRE 5
16** COM 3
5/15** PD 0
8/18** ED 2
6** SPD 27
8** REC 6
30** END 0
24** STUN 0
*6"**RUN02"**SWIM02"**LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 105
Cost** Power END
20** Cold Powers: Elemental Control, 40-point powers*
14** 1) Aura of Cold: Change Environment 4" radius, -4 Temperature Level Adjustment, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (48 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Always On (-1/2)* 0
20** 2) Field of Cold: Force Field (10 PD/10 ED), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (40 Active Points)* 0
22** 3) Immune to the Cold: Force Wall (12 ED), Hardened (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Transparent PD (+1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (82 Active Points); Cold powers Only (-3/4), Self Only (-1/2), No Range (-1/2)* 0
14** 4) Freeze it off: Tunneling 1" through 15 DEF material, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (70 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Character May Take No Other Actions, -1 1/2), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (0 DCV; -1)* 0
44** 5) Freezing Touch: Energy Blast 3d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Damage Shield (Offensive; +3/4), No Normal Defense (LS: Safe Environment Cold; +1), Continuous (+1), Does BODY (+1) (86 Active Points); Always On (-1/2)* 0
12** 6) Numbing Touch: Negative Combat Skill Levels (-7 to opponent's OCV), Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4) (44 Active Points); Not vs. those with LS: Save Environment Cold (-1/2), Only vs Attacks from one Limb per strike (-1/4), Requires A Power Skill: Cold Tricks Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points; -1/4)* 3
22** Chill Body: Life Support (Immunity All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents; Immunity All terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents; Safe in Intense Cold)* 0
9** Numb-Handed Punch: Hand-To-Hand Attack +4d6 (20 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2), Requires A Cold Powers Roll (-1/2), Side Effects: Takes 3d6 to Hands (-1/4)* 2
Powers Cost: 177
Cost** Martial Arts Maneuver
4** Duck: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort*
4** Touch: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +0 DCV, 4d6 Strike*
4** Let me Take That: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, Disarm; 20 STR to Disarm*
Martial Arts Cost: 12
Cost** Skill
3** AK: Santa Clara County 12-*
0** Acting 8-*
3** Breakfall 14-*
3** Bribery 12-*
3** Climbing 14-*
3** Concealment 12-*
3** Contortionist 14-*
0** Conversation 8-*
3** Deduction 12-*
0** Language: English (idiomatic) (4 Active Points)*
5** Lockpicking 15-*
0** Paramedics 8-*
0** Persuasion 8-*
7** Power: Cold Powers 14-*
0** PS: Burglar 11-*
3** Security Systems 12-*
0** Shadowing 8-*
3** Stealth 14-*
3** Streetwise 12-*
0** TF: Small Motorized Ground Vehicles*
Skills Cost: 42
Cost** Perk
3** Contact: Blackie Fingers (Contact has significant Contacts of his own, Good relationship with Contact) 8-*
Perks Cost: 3
Cost** Talent
6** Combat Luck (3 PD/3 ED)*
2** Environmental Movement (no penalties on Ice/Snow)*
3** Simulate Death*
Talents Cost: 11
Val** Disadvantages
25** Psychological Limitation: Code vs. Killing (Very Common, Total)*
10** Psychological Limitation: Distrustful of Authority Figures (Uncommon, Strong)*
15** Psychological Limitation: Greedy (Common, Strong)*
10** Physical Limitation: Numb fingers, occassionally drops things (Frequently, Slightly Impairing)*
20** Hunted: F.A.T.E. 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Capture)*
25** Distinctive Features: Freezing Cold (Not Concealable; Extreme Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)*
30** Vulnerability: 2 x STUN Heat based Attacks (Very Common)*
15** Vulnerability: 1 1/2 x BODY Heat based Attacks (Very Common)*
Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 200Experience Required: 0Total Experience Available: 0Experience Unspent: 0Total Character Cost: 350

Height: 1.72 m Hair: Black
Weight: 64.00 kg Eyes: Blue
Appearance: Kiera is a fairly tall and slender woman of African descent. Her hair is long, black, and in fairly tight rolls. Quite noticable are the ice crystals growing in her hair. Her skin is smooth and bluish-brown. Anyone within an 8 meter (4") radius of Kiera feel the bone-chilling cold radiating from her. Kiera usually seems ill-tempered and standoffish, but 'melts' when she meets someone who is unconcerned by her 'condition'.Personality: Since Kiera cannot keep the comfort of friends, she figures she will take for herself the physical comforts of wealth.Quote:Stop following me! I don't want to have to touch you again...Background: Kiera was a young miscreant when she was caught breaking into the home of Dr. Kali of F.A.T.E. Dr. Kali decided to keep the poor girl as a prisoner for her experiments for F.A.T.E. instead of either turning her over to the authorities, or slaying her outright. Dr. Kali had been working on a process for creating cold-weather adaptations to the human form which she inflicted upon Kiera. The experiment was a success, as Kiera was now immune to the mundane

effects of cold weather. But the side effects were severe. One of the first tricks Kiera learned was the trick of freezing a wall solid and allowing it to shatter.

With this, she made good her escape and has been on the run from F.A.T.E. ever since.

Powers/Tactics: Kiera avoids combat when possible. When forced to fight she will lightly touch someone with her Numbing touch until she can escape. If pressed,

she will use her Numb-Handed Punch. But mostly she hopes her Freezing Touch discourages anyone from fighting..

Campaign Use: Coldilocks often can be found breaking into areas of vast wealth for purely personal gain. Once in a while she will rent out her services to villianous organizations for specific missions as long as she is not expected to enter combat.

I like Character. The only thing I would change is instead of the force wall for Cold immunity I would just buy DR. Because 1. If it is just to defend against cold temperatures, then LS: Safe in Intense Cold will handle it. 2. If it is to provide total support against any Cold attack then it is way under bought. For instance Icicle (from Champions) has a 10d6 Ice Blast which when you average that out comes to 35 points of damage and easily knocks down the force wall. When they designed the Acid Proof power, they went on what was the most powerful acid attack in the campaign and bought enough Force wall to prevent any damage. So unless you are limiting all cold/ice power to only 3d6 EB (or 2d6 RKA) then she is not really freeze proof. But otherwise I like the character, hope to see more.

G

Like the character. Not sure if I'm off base here, but I don't think that your damage shield will get through your force wall, so it would only effect people who used cold powers to knock the wall down. I appreciate that it is transparent,but not to cold energy, so it will keep that safely locked up inside.