Fade Rate and attributes lower than normal

nexus

Re: Fade Rate and attributes lower than normal

I would think that Transfer doesn't technically "Heal" effects of a stat so much as it adds on top. I mean, if you took 2 BODY then proceeded to Transfer 5 BODY from someone else to yourself, you'd be not only up by 3 BODY, but your recovery rate were faster than the fade rate on the Transfer, you could potentially be up 5 BODY. Likewise, if your fade rate was lower. Once the transfer wore off you'd still be down 2 BODY.

Absorption is pretty much the same thing. Healing is the only one designed specifically to repair damage. In that regard I'd allow it to heal statistics but only if it was specifically purchased for those stats. A 1D6 "Heal STR" type of thing.

Ick, that is going to make this construct complicated. I was working on a power that drained lifeforce from a target to heal the attacker. The results wouldn't fade, but could only increase the target attributes to normal.

I should add that page 76 mentions a "only restores to starting values" modifier. There it says specifically....

This limitation cannot be taken for healing, which by definition only resotres characterics and powers to their starting levels.

Sounds like an implicit argument for healing applied to characteristic and power loss from drains.

nexus said:

Ick, that is going to make this construct complicated. I was working on a power that drained lifeforce from a target to heal the attacker. The results wouldn't fade, but could only increase the target attributes to normal.

I've house-ruled this to create a (-0) modifier which only allows an Adjustment Power to "refill" - or increase only to starting levels - a Characteristic or Power but the points gained do not fade. The modifier is applied to Absorption or Transfer and essentially it makes the points gained from those powers function as Healing.

If you compare this to the official "Only Increase to Starting Values" Limitation (-1/2) you might agree that it's a fair way of handling what you want to accomplish. You trade the (-1/2) normally provided by this Limitation for "Points Gained Never Fade."

Otherwise you have to use some ridiulous Heal linked to Drain or some such, which is just more complicated than it has to be.

John H

If you buy the absorbtion or transfer with reduced fade rate (one month should do it) the BODY gained would last long enough for it to heal naturally, and so would never 'go away'. Just make sure you buy enough dice or an increased limit high enough so that you don't run out over the course of a week or two.

nexus said:

I've house-ruled this to create a (-0) modifier which only allows an Adjustment Power to "refill" - or increase only to starting levels - a Characteristic or Power but the points gained do not fade. The modifier is applied to Absorption or Transfer and essentially it makes the points gained from those powers function as Healing.

If you compare this to the official "Only Increase to Starting Values" Limitation (-1/2) you might agree that it's a fair way of handling what you want to accomplish. You trade the (-1/2) normally provided by this Limitation for "Points Gained Never Fade."

Otherwise you have to use some ridiulous Heal linked to Drain or some such, which is just more complicated than it has to be.

John H

I like that solution, otherwise it just seems to be a bit more complicated than it really has to be.

I agree. I find JMHammer's solution to be simple and elegant, especially since Aid and Healing both have the same costs and essentially the same effects.

Getting this one by my group would be a different story entirely, however. Even though I am the 'rules lawyer' of the group, people have a tizzy everytime I suggest a house rule.

That said, though, I don't know if I'd want a Transfer with the special effect of healing me to function more like Healing. With the Transfer, I can use it all day long. Sure it caps out, but healing caps out lower. With healing there is also the daily (or per wound, or whatever system you use) cap, so that once you roll really well, you're basically out of luck till tommorrow, and you have to keep rolling better and better to achieve the same effect.

I agree. I find JMHammer's solution to be simple and elegant' date=' especially since Aid and Healing both have the same costs and essentially the same effects.[/quote']

Healing costs END. Aid doesn't, but costs the same per die. The implication here is that Aid is not "as powerful" as healing, so changing an Aid effect to a Healing effect should carry a cost of +1/2 (the same as Aid's 0 END implicit advantage).

This assumes one believes the adjustment powers are priced appropriately to begin with, of course. As well, Transfer muddies the water, as only the Aid component (not the drain component) should logically have this advantage applied.

As to the original question, a Transfer is a Drain and an Aid linked together, with the Aid limited to the points actually drained. Just build a Drain and a Healing linked together and you should get the result you're looking for.

Alternatively, change the construct to a Linked bonus to the END reserve itself, with a high fade rate. "+400 END to Reserve, maximum bonus equal to BOD of attacks striking character (-1), cannot increase by more than 20 END per phase (-1/2)" would not be a very expensive construct - 40/2.5 = 16, assuming you buy into my limits (even at -1, it's 20 points). Raise the maximum END bonus to match the points you would otherwise have spent on Absorb.

For Transfer, change it to a drain and make the construct "+400 END to Reserve, maximum bonus equal to points drained with attack X (-1 1/2)"