Saiyuki writeups?

Michael Hopcroft

Anyone want to try their hand at some of the characters from the manga and anime Saiyuki (aka what Journey to the West would be like if all the characters were bishies).

Despite that somewaht dismissive descprtion, it really is an alarmingly good series, in which someone is casuing 'demons", who had previously lived in harmony with humans, to turn vicious and run amok. A monk named Genzo is sent to find out the cause of the problem, along with three demon companions inclduing -- get this -- Son Goku. (Yes, Dragonball was at least partially inspried by the folktale Journey to the West). Each of the demon companions has different abilities, and Genzo has a demon-dispelling pistol that he uses im emergencies. One of the heroes has a companion creature that can assume other forms, incluidng that of a jeep.

Yes, a jeep. There are numerous intentional anachronisms in this series, from the cigarettes and beer that Gaiyuki constantly indulges in to the jeep to Genzo's gun. we are definitely in techno-fantasy territory here.

Journey to the West, by the way, is classic folktale which is esentially about how the Buddhist scriptures made their way to China (and later Japan). It is one of the most popyular traditional tales for mangaka and anime creators to play around with.

• 1 month later...

Re: Saiyuki writeups?

Ooh! Tempting...very tempting. I'm still kinda new with Hero, but I could take a stab at an "easier" character, like Goujo...someone like Goku or Hakkai may still be beyond me, but I could give you some bases if you're still interested. It's been about 2 months since your post, so...you still interested?

Ooh! Tempting...very tempting. I'm still kinda new with Hero' date=' but I could take a stab at an "easier" character, like Goujo...someone like Goku or Hakkai may still be beyond me, but I could give you some bases if you're still interested. It's been about 2 months since your post, so...you still interested?[/quote']

Yep, I'm still interested. Although I don't know why Goku would be especially complicated.

Yep' date=' I'm still interested. Although I don't know why Goku would be especially complicated.[/quote']

I've read"Monkey: A Journey to the West" and would probably get confused about which abilities he'd have...so many incarnations of the little monkey. Otherwise he's pretty easy to make. Most've them would be if I just stick to what's actually been in the anime to date.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep' date=' I'm still interested. Although I don't know why Goku would be especially complicated.[/quote']

As far as I can tell, this Goku simply has the imposably long pole, and is a kick ass martial artest. It's not like your doing the DBZ Son Goku here. Or even the Monkie Magic Goku eather (which is more like the original Saiyuki storie version than you can get in anime till you get to Alakzam The Great).

As far as I can tell' date=' this Goku simply has the imposably long pole, and is a kick ass martial artest. It's not like your doing the [i']DBZ[/i] Son Goku here. Or even the Monkie Magic Goku eather (which is more like the original Saiyuki storie version than you can get in anime till you get to Alakzam The Great).

The thing is I'm not very experienced at Hero, and the Hero guru I know is boycotting the system(and these boards...), so I'm not gonna be able to do a write up on these...at least not any time soon.

That being said, I'm not quite sure how to define Goku's demonic side...when the circlet comes off and he goes into amped-up berserker mode. Would it be using an enraged with some kind of stat boost?

That being said' date=' I'm not quite sure how to define Goku's demonic side...when the circlet comes off and he goes into amped-up berserker mode. Would it be using an enraged with some kind of stat boost?[/quote']

I hate to say this, but the only real Saiyuki I saw was the extended trailer for Saiyuki Requiem on the Newtype USA DVD (December 2004?). But I would say have an Enraged when circlet comes off, and stat boost, only when enraged.