Hero Mailing List?

Agent 537

Is anyone here subscribed to the Hero mailing list, the one run by John Desmarais? I (re)subscribed a few days ago, but have not received any notice that I was indeed subscribed and able to receive messages, nor have I been receiving messages. If it's just that John has to manually set me on the list, I'll drop him an email. If the list is for all intents and purposes defunct, I won't bother.

So - is the list a thing of the past, perhaps supplanted by these discussion boards and other things? Or does it still exist?

Re: Hero Mailing List?

The list still exists' date=' but traffic on it is very slow compared to days past. I don't know whether the existence of this message board has anything to do with it, though.[/quote']

yep. Proud subscriber since it was on an SGI machine in Mountain View. :D

I think partially the message boards seem to have dragged some of us over here. I was on the message boards pre-DOJ as well, but this incarnation seems to be better.

Is anyone here subscribed to the Hero mailing list, the one run by John Desmarais? I (re)subscribed a few days ago, but have not received any notice that I was indeed subscribed and able to receive messages, nor have I been receiving messages. If it's just that John has to manually set me on the list, I'll drop him an email. If the list is for all intents and purposes defunct, I won't bother.

So - is the list a thing of the past, perhaps supplanted by these discussion boards and other things? Or does it still exist?

I'll need to know what email address you subscribed with and I can check on it.

there was a lot of signal-to-noise problem

I'd say that's true of most mailing lists. It's also true of this board. ;) One of the reasons messages boards have, it seems to me, replaced a lot of mailing lists in the past few years is that they make it much easier to filter out whatever any one user considers "noise." F'rex, a lot of the "noise" here is on NGD, which you can easily ignore if you prefer.

I'd say that's true of most mailing lists. It's also true of this board. ;) One of the reasons messages boards have' date=' it seems to me, replaced a lot of mailing lists in the past few years is that they make it much easier to filter out whatever any one user considers "noise." F'rex, a lot of the "noise" here is on NGD, which you can easily ignore if you prefer.[/quote']

Exactly so. The boards allow me to pick and choose my time-wasting diversions:)

Keith "Imagine if we had to do all this with pen and paper" Curtis