Susceptibility questions

Sociotard

Okay I have some questions about susceptibility. First, how do you simulate a susceptibility that a character can protect himself from somehow? For example, superman is susceptibility to kryptonite, but he can carry it arround with him in the led lined compartment in his belt. If someone made him a lead Suit of armor he could handle big chunks. (but nobody does, cause that's just not his style)

See, I'm getting into a Fantasy game and I wanted to play a Troll Druid (two package deals lifted straight out of fantasy hero) but I wanted to temper his susceptibility to sunlight. First I changed it from every segment to every phase. Second, I wanted him to have a big thick shroud that could sheild him from sunlight. There's the problem. Should I just say that sunlight is now uncommon instead of common? Or should I put a limitation on a disadvantage? Oh, and the book doesn't say how this particular transform is healed. Any suggestions?

Re: Susceptibility questions

Reducing the Frequency of a Susceptibility is the most common approach taken for published characters who have access to the means to protect themselves from it, and is probably the simplest method. If you feel like more complexity for esthetic reasons ;) , another method that was sometimes used before 5E would be to take the number of points that the Disadvantage is worth, apply a Focus Lim representing the item that prevents the Susceptibility, and add that number of points to the character's sheet... essentially buying off the Disad. IIRC Steve Long has ruled that this is illegal, though.

As for healing back the Transform, most literature that has trolls turning to stone makes the result pretty well permanent, i.e. the troll is effectively dead. At the very least I'd say that undoing it would require some rare magical substance, involved ceremony, or extraordinary action (like being kissed by a human female who is the troll's true love).

Being able to protect yourself from your Susceptibility will reduce it's Frequency.

If you'd like to try something new, try a new "Adder" for Susc. If the character has the means to protect himself from his Susc the Disad would cost less. If the abailability of the Protection is limited or uncommon, the Susc is worth -5 points. If it's readily available/common, it's worth -10 points. Thus, a simple shroud that protects a troll from sunlight would be worth -10 points. If the object of Protection only lessens or slows the effect, reduce the minus by five points (-0 if it's limited/uncommon, -5 for readily available/common).

If the Protection is almost always in the character's possession or can be easily replaced if lost, this is probably best done by buy a Power that buys off the Susc with a Focus Limitation. For reducing/slowing the effects, only buy off some of the dice or levels on the Time Chart through the Focus.

Thanks guy's. Now, as I was going over the cost of the susceptiblility, I gave myself another question. Y'see, the susceptibility is listed as being -40 points. -15 because sunlight is very common, -15 because the troll takes damage every segment. Thats -30, leaving -10. That corresponds to 3d6 damage, or since this is a major transform, 30 points of transform. (the rules day each die of stun corresponds to 10 points of another attack, such as drains or transforms) 30 points of major transform would be 2d6 iirc.

Except it isn't written as 2d6. It's listed as having 3d6 major transform, which would make it a 45 point disadvantage. Am I missing something? It wasn't listed as being wrong in the errata.