New campaign starting, help requested

Kirby

Hello all,

I'm going to be starting up a new campaign very soon, and naturally I'm looking for some ideas on just a start up scenario, and maybe one after that. The campaign will be set in the San Angelo: City of Heroes setting, so there won't be any aliens or any overt (yet) mystics. If not at the beginning, then very soon I'll be running VOICE of Doom where the players have a chance of joining an already existing team, Freedom Squad.*

Here are my two big problems. The first is that, even though the players will be built on 350 points, there are only TWO players in the group (the other two had to drop for job reasons). Second, even though I'm hoping they'll join the group, I'm not going to pressure them into doing so. If they wish to be a duo, I'll grant that.

Now, I'm not sure if I want to run VOICE of Doom to begin with, or make it the second adventure. If I do VoD as the second adventure, what could be a simple first adventure? (One to refreshen us with the mechanics of game play.) If I do VoD as the first adventure, I'm looking for a simple second adventure, whether they are part of the team or not. The reason I stress simple is that (1) VoD has villains capable of killing heroes and I don't want back to back life-threatening scenarios, and (2) I tend to already plot grand themed adventures and what to make a KISS funfest. If it helps any, two villain groups the PCs will definitely meet later are Anarchy (from Enemies of San Angelo) and The Seven Horseman (from their own book - they're the mystical pseudo-themed baddies). I will also introduce Grond sometime. For hero teams, the Protectors and maybe the 4th Ed Champions (as a group or individually).

To sum up, for a pre VoD scenario, I'm looking for adventures that can:

1) assume the PCs know each other and take it from there

2) provide a non-cheesy method of introducing the PCs with an adventure

And for a post VoD scenario, I'd like adventures that:

3) Take into account the PCs are with an established team that has lost at least one member, if not more

4) Decide to remain on their own as a duo

5) Are forced to remain on their own as the established team has been eliminated

All help is appreciated.

*Freedom Squad basically consists of an aged, flying Captain America type (no shield, though), an energy blasting vixen (who is the money behind the team) and a introverted sumo-growth-brick. They are roughly 200-250+ points. Three other members of the team have either been killed or hospitalized before the game starts.

Re: New campaign starting, help requested

Hey Kirby,

If you end up doing just the duo, then I highly suggest that you consider raising the point totals beyond 350, with a caveat: Nothing that will make them invulnerable or their attacks nye unsurvivable, but something that will round them out so they can be effective, plus being able to survive the worst of the bad guys can throw at them. For example:

1) No extra armor, but damage reduction. Maybe even regeneration.

2) Ranged and HtH attacks.

3) Some super skills, such as listed in DC.

4) Skill levels for coordinating attacks

5) More points for skills, so they can be effective investigators & such (see Black Mask in Vibora Bay).

Just some suggestions. :-)

My favorite quick, one-off adventure:

Act 1 - The Rampage The PCs are allerted via Action News Now that a giant rampaging THING is tearing it's way through the finantial district. The PC's respond and take down the monster. The PCs get to gang-tackle a single foe who is much stronger and much tougher than either of them, but is slow. With teamwork and combined attacks they should take him down quickly.

Act 2 - The Hiest The PCs get alerted that a bunch of Agents in Power Armor are using the distraction created by the monster to knock over the local diamond exchange. The PCs respond and battle to agents. Now it's the GM's turn to use numbers and teamwork! I find five agents per PC, plus an extra "command team" of five agents, is enough to give the PCs a hard time but not overwhelm them. Remember to have the Agents load-up on APEBs, Entangles, Flashes and AOE attacks (PARTICULARLY AOE Entangles!).

Act 3 - The Payoff One of the agents gets away with the diamonds, but the PCs manage to track him back to an abandoned wearhouse where the diamonds are being turned over to the super villains! One 350 point supervillain per PC, plus one more 350 point supervillain and five or so Agents. Most PC teams can handle those odds, provided none of the villains is a mystic or a mentalist.

Hi,

Good luck with your new game - Here is a link to an adventure synopsis I wrote up on the Project Genesis board, called "Physician, Heal Thyself"..

It's a pretty easy adventure, with some investigation, some blackmail, and a criminal Mastermind.

the board isHere : http://members.lycos.co.uk/genesisproject/

the adventure is here http://marvelgenesis.proboards36.com/index.cgi?board=campaign&action=display&num=1101584644

There aren't any writeups for the villians, but here is where their descriptions and backgrounds are:http://marvelgenesis.proboards36.com/index.cgi?board=campaign&action=display&num=1101584971

Hope you can use it -

CraterMaker (aka Samaritan)