Suggestions

Blue

Here's the deal: I've got a figure whose body is almost entirely cloak. The idea came up that the cloak was his means of attack. This could be...

1. Darkness, centered on the character, small radius; Possibly coupled with an AOE EB, with kind of a smothering or squeezing/strangling SFX.
  2. Entangle, blocks senses; Problem here is that he would be literally dragging heroes around with him (since he wouldn't be leaving the cloak behind)
  3. Extradimensional Travel; His cloak would be a gateway to the abyss, and merely opening it would allow him to wrap up foes and send them through into the nothingness. Problem was that it makes a fight too easy for him, and that it's unfair to heroes (especially any without life support who might be in the abyss for a long time).

Picture the figure as a white porcelain mask with dark eyeholes and mouth, and suspended from it is an enormous black cloak that writhes and billows in the wind. Any suggestions on powers? So far #1 is the most practical but the #3 was the coolest but least fair to foes.

Re: Suggestions

Here's the deal: I've got a figure whose body is almost entirely cloak. The idea came up that the cloak was his means of attack. This could be...

1. Darkness, centered on the character, small radius; Possibly coupled with an AOE EB, with kind of a smothering or squeezing/strangling SFX.
  2. Entangle, blocks senses; Problem here is that he would be literally dragging heroes around with him (since he wouldn't be leaving the cloak behind)
  3. Extradimensional Travel; His cloak would be a gateway to the abyss, and merely opening it would allow him to wrap up foes and send them through into the nothingness. Problem was that it makes a fight too easy for him, and that it's unfair to heroes (especially any without life support who might be in the abyss for a long time).

Picture the figure as a white porcelain mask with dark eyeholes and mouth, and suspended from it is an enormous black cloak that writhes and billows in the wind. Any suggestions on powers? So far #1 is the most practical but the #3 was the coolest but least fair to foes.

Sounds scary. How about a large PRE attack and/or a mental power that effectively scares the bejeezus outta people?

Mags

What about desolid usable as an attack and a small NND attack linked?

He sends the heroes to another plane (don't know how married you are to the abyss idea) where they are attacked by the damned (or demons or whatever lurks in that dimension)-that's the NND part. :eg:

Well, I confess to being a 'why just pick one, that's what Multipowers are for' kinda character builder. ;)

A possible variant on the XD-Movement Attack might be to limit it to a helpless target; essentially, the heroes must already be defeated before they can be sent to Limbo (where the adventure then becomes getting OUT).

Thanks for the suggestions, folks.

I figure I'll keep the "gate" idea. It may be his first move when facing multiple foes (a quick way to dispose of someone who charges him).

Another spin on the gate effect comes to mind: I'm thinking that if he's KO'd they may gate back, so it may be some sort of transformation attack. In fact, I'm thinking about that special effect from the first "Nightmare on Elm Street" where Freddy kind of stretches out of the wall over the bed. Think of him swallowing an individual in his cloak (transformation attack) and them being made into a part of it. If he's defeated they transform back. Until then they appear as a fleeting face in the topography of the cloak.

He does need a smother attack, though. Something for HTH combat.

And maybe a teleport where he folds in upon himself and vanishes.

For HTH, why not just a No-Range EB or RKA for the cloak twisting itself into a lash? A little Stretching would be appropriate to add to that.

Telekinesis with Limited Range might work better for some tactics than Entangle. You could also give him a Flash attack defined as the cloak fluttering over an opponent's face.

Since his "body" is essentially just a cloak, he'd probably be hard to hurt when hit, which would certainly justify Damage Reduction.

How about Dispel or Suppress vs Fire powers? His cloak covers and smothers the flames.

I'll think some more about this and get back to you. :)