Accusations of "cheating" by HERO at RPG.Net...

Yamo

Originally posted by Blue

Not that I'm talking anyone out of voting. Pleae do. I'm just saying that NONE of the public voters are innocent, because chances are slim that they've played all of the nominees in each category. Just making a semantics argument folks.

But by that criterion, you would invalidate the votes of practically every election or public poll on earth. Few people take the time to really research whatever they vote on. For example, has anybody (besides Academy members) bothered to look up the requirements for each category to make sure even one game on the list qualifies? What points are the Academy judging by? And so on.

A public vote (especially of this nature) is a popularity contest. If your game has been heard of enough for someone to vote for it, you deserve the vote. If someone is voting in a category about which they are totally clueless, ie.e flipping a coin, then that's wrong. That's probably why they have separate voting for Academy members and the general public.

Keith "Only voted for games I've played" Curtis

I'll be honest. I hate votes. They really get down to "pi-" errr who can "uri-" errr, um, "who has the biggest gun" contests. I don't bother with most voting processes. In fact, I probably would have been lazy and not voted for Hero. But in this case it was wrong. This was as wrong as when Buffy's Musical Episode got "accidently" left off the ballot for the Emmy. No special apology or anything. So in this case I made it an acception to go in.

So those people at RPG.net that are whining can waste their time typing as far as I'm concerned. They need to take it up with Origins if they have a problem. Origins, as far as I'm concerned, is the one that cheated the vote system.

Originally posted by keithcurtis

But by that criterion, you would invalidate the votes of practically every election or public poll on earth.

Yes. I'd vote for Anarchy, but that would be acting within the system, man ;)

Don't mind me. I was just trying to be difficult. I'll have to make it a point not to post when I'm bored.

for what its worth, i consider the accusation of cheating to be inappropriate.

Steve long personally encouraging his fans to get their spouses, children and coworkers in addition to their gaming group, involved in this voting is no more cheating than the various sleazy telephone scams where they use various means to encourage you to bring your "friends and family" over to their system. What was it that commercial said "So, you mean you want us all to work for the phone company."

Since the origins award is a fabulous marketing tool, it seems only reasonable for Long and HERO games to follow the sound and proven marketting strategies and techiques used by those very telephone coompanies campaigns we all are so fond of.

Why, heck, any day now, we may start getting cold calls during supper asking if we want to switch our DND game to fantasy HERO and how they can place the order for us right now.

heck, we may even...

crap, gotta go, the phone's ringing...

later

Votes in *national elections* are based on criteria such as "which political party I belong to", "who looks the best", and "which candidate my friend Bill likes".

The simple fact is, there are folks voting who understand games, and folks voting who don't. That's the drawback of an open voting system. But since there's a level playing field -- the folks over at RPG.NET can also organize a campaign to get people to vote for their favorites -- it's hardly cheating.

Perhaps if they selected grapes from a different part of the vineyard, their whine wouldn't be so sour.