Accusations of "cheating" by HERO at RPG.Net...

Yamo

Ack. So I did a quick search, wound up reading a different thread on the ballots. Someone posted a picture of "Doom of Odin" by Avalanche Press. Oh my. so I checked out the Avalanche Press website. They seem to be going for a certain demographic. I'm pretty certain that the Aztec wore different outfits. :rolleyes:

Guest C_Zeree
Originally posted by lemming

Ack. So I did a quick search, wound up reading a different thread on the ballots. Someone posted a picture of "Doom of Odin" by Avalanche Press. Oh my. so I checked out the Avalanche Press website. They seem to be going for a certain demographic. I'm pretty certain that the Aztec wore different outfits. :rolleyes:

I agree...

Cheesecake at its "finest."

::running for his fork:: :D

I have played GURPS several years now and I bought Hero System 5th Edition about 8 months ago. I like both systems. Both have good points and I like to use GURPS for realistic campaigns and someday I use Hero for not so realistic campaign :). I don't get it, why people can't like both system. There is enough room for generic systems and everybody can pick up system which he likes the best. It doesn't change anything to argue about stupid things.

- Harvester -

Even at that, the problem with things like this is that in most cases folks haven't played ALL of the games.

I looked at the list and wound up voting in only the suggested HERO related categories because those were the only ones for which I had any frame of reference. For example, I don't play CCGs and didn't recognize most of the ones listed. I think most people voting tend to pick something in each category that "sounds good", same way that people at home watching the oscars have typically only seen one or two out of the five nominees so they vote for the one they know and like.

Solution: GAMA should give us copies of everything. To review of course :D

Actually, one of the benefits to being a member of the Academy is that companies with lots of money (e.g., Kenzer & Co.) or with low cost-of-goods products (e.g., Looney Labs) often send out copies of their games to Academy members to drum up votes. I probably received at least $200 in review product of that sort this year, for example.

I think I looked at the application a year or two ago. I think you had to meet a publishing requirement (Something like two items published in gaming products, to prove you are an industry pro or semi-pro). Alas, I remain an enthusiastic amature.

Originally posted by Blue

Even at that, the problem with things like this is that in most cases folks haven't played ALL of the games.

I looked at the list and wound up voting in only the suggested HERO related categories because those were the only ones for which I had any frame of reference. For example, I don't play CCGs and didn't recognize most of the ones listed. I think most people voting tend to pick something in each category that "sounds good", same way that people at home watching the oscars have typically only seen one or two out of the five nominees so they vote for the one they know and like.

Solution: GAMA should give us copies of everything. To review of course :D

You at least have an understanding of gaming, whether it be roleplaying, wargaming, or CCGs, you've played.

Getting people to vote for gaming awards if they have never gamed is wrong.(IMO)

I think nHammer is referring to getting family/friends who don't play to vote just because you want more votes.

I tend to agree, much as I'd still like to see Hero/DOJ overcome the obstacle put in front of them. And isn't that what being a superhero is all about? :D

But I'm saying in my earlier post that Technically voting in a category where you haven't seen all of the games would be wrong, because you're voting under a supposition about all the other games that you haven't played. It's really the same thing.

Not that I'm talking anyone out of voting. Pleae do. I'm just saying that NONE of the public voters are innocent, because chances are slim that they've played all of the nominees in each category. Just making a semantics argument folks.