Island of Dr. Destroyer as a one off?

phydaux

I'm trying to generate interest in a Champions game at my local FLAGS. I'm thinking, since I'll soon be getting my grubby little hands on Island of Dr. Destroyer, that I can run this mod as a one-off at my local game store on a Sunday afternoon.

I'm thinking I can allow players to create their own PCs and allow new players to use published PCs (The Champions, Meteorman, Stalwart, etc.). Maybe even use the published PCs as back-up characters after the first round of PC deaths.

However, since I have neither GMed nor played Island of Dr. Destroyer (yes, I have been playing since Champs III and have never played that mod; I have ALSO never played the Giants, Slavers or Decent into the Depths of the Earth) I am wondering CAN Island of Dr. Destroyer be played through in one afternoon?

Thanks Herophiles,

phy

Re: Island of Dr. Destroyer as a one off?

Its possible. Not sure its very doable with newbies. Also, any kind of Con game or FLGS demo...I strongly urge you to make all characters. Make about two or three times as many characters as you need and let them pick the ones they want to play. Otherwise you are looking for all kinds of trouble.

I strongly urge you to make all characters. Make about two or three times as many characters as you need and let them pick the ones they want to play.

Hmm... Not a BAD idea. I really GOOD idea, in fact. Just a LOT of work an my part.

And that makes me wonder...

Might anyone be willing to whip-up a few heros for this one off? I could post the names and archatypes, and the forum members crank out one or two heros each.

Do you think people on the forun would be willing to do that?

Hmm... Not a BAD idea. I really GOOD idea, in fact. Just a LOT of work an my part.

Might anyone be willing to whip-up a few heros for this one off? I could post the names and archatypes, and the forum members crank out one or two heros each.

If you ask him Steve Long can send you PDF files of the Champions. He did with me. BTW he also sent me a con adventure called the Metallosphere Project that I ran for my first con game at Necronomicon. I worked out pretty well.

I'm here for you, dude! :D

Just post any limits you want on Damage Classes, etc, and all that kind of stuff.

By the way, if you don't have it yet, IODD was designed for up to six Superheroes, which in those days were 100 + Disadvantages, usually adding up to around 250 pts.

KA.

By the way' date=' if you don't have it yet, IODD was designed for up to six Superheroes, which in those days were 100 + Disadvantages, usually adding up to around 250 pts.[/quote']

Hmm... I find Champs 5th Ed. 350 point characters not THAT much more combat effective that 3rd Ed 250 point characters. The 5th Ed. characters just have WAY more non-combat skills and perks and such.

Anyway, here's the guidelines:

12 Damage Classes OR 60 active points

Bricks are SPD 4, Power Projectors are SPD 5 and Martial Artists are SPD 6

Bricks are CV 8, Martial Artists are CV 12 (AFTER skills & maneuvers) and EVERYBODY ELSE is CV 10

Bricks are PD/ED 30, Power Projectors are PD/ED 24 and Martial Artists are PD/ED 18. Everyone else is PD/ED 20

The Heros should be MUCH simpler that the ones in the books. One primary attack power for the most part, no Megascale movement, try to stay away from Damage Reduction.

Lots of little skills like Flash Defense, Radio Hearing/Transmit and Life Support always come in handy.

Characters should have Skills out the wazoo, including the Power Skill and the Teamwork skill.

EVERYONE should have some Resistant Defense.

Aside from that, the characters I'm thinking of are:

Bricks

Flying Brick

Running Brick

Superleaping Brick who specialses in Move Throughs

Power Projectors

Flying Power Projector

Running Power Projector

Swinging Power Projector with a Bow and Quiver of trick arrows

Martial Artists

A "Pure" martial artist with all kinds of maneuvers and maybe some kind of x2 END "Chi Kung Fist" attack

Martial Artist with an OAF that gives MUCHO DCs and maybe Missile Deflection

Gadgeteers

"Batman" type with skills out the yang (Security Systems, Electronics, Weapons Systems, Known Super Villains, etc), Stealth, Swinging, martial arts and lots FYB powers (Flash, NND, AVLD, Entangle, AOE, etc.)

Another character that is VERY similar, so they can both have a rivalry

Others

Captian America type - not quite brick, not quite Martial Artist

Mentalist with lots of EGO powers

Mystic with a combination of Elemental powers, Ego powers and Flight or Teleport

Flyer with maybe a Flight multipower, vision enhansment powers and skills in Move By

A teleporter with stealth and a little martial arts

A stretcher a la Elastigirl

Again, the focus for these characters should be to make them easy to understand and play by a first time Champs player. However, if the Mystic and Psi both have powers like "Mind Link, 8 minds at a time" and all the other characters have "Radio Recieve/Transmit OIF Earbug" that would NOT be a bad thing.

This is WAY more characters than I'd need, even if the first wave of heros DOES get killed on the beach. If people post here saying "I'm working on these two heros" that should cut down the overlap.

Please post the characters with a Hero Designer file as an attachment.

When I have collected all the heros, I'll post a .ZIP file with all the Hero Designer files included.

Hmm... I find Champs 5th Ed. 350 point characters not THAT much more combat effective that 3rd Ed 250 point characters. The 5th Ed. characters just have WAY more non-combat skills and perks and such.

Anyway, here's the guidelines:

12 Damage Classes OR 60 active points

Bricks are SPD 4, Power Projectors are SPD 5 and Martial Artists are SPD 6

Bricks are CV 8, Martial Artists are CV 12 (AFTER skills & maneuvers) and EVERYBODY ELSE is CV 10

Bricks are PD/ED 30, Power Projectors are PD/ED 24 and Martial Artists are PD/ED 18. Everyone else is PD/ED 20

The Heros should be MUCH simpler that the ones in the books. One primary attack power for the most part, no Megascale movement, try to stay away from Damage Reduction.

Lots of little skills like Flash Defense, Radio Hearing/Transmit and Life Support always come in handy.

Characters should have Skills out the wazoo, including the Power Skill and the Teamwork skill.

EVERYONE should have some Resistant Defense.

Aside from that, the characters I'm thinking of are:

Bricks

Flying Brick

Running Brick

Superleaping Brick who specialses in Move Throughs

Power Projectors

Flying Power Projector

Running Power Projector

Martial Artists

A "Pure" martial artist with all kinds of maneuvers and maybe some kind of x2 END "Chi Kung Fist" attack

Martial Artist with an OAF that gives MUCHO DCs and maybe Missile Deflection

Gadgeteers

"Batman" type with skills out the yang (Security Systems, Electronics, Weapons Systems, Known Super Villains, etc), Stealth, Swinging, martial arts and lots FYB powers (Flash, NND, AVLD, Entangle, AOE, etc.)

Another character that is VERY similar, so they can both have a rivalry

Others

Captian America type - not quite brick, not quite Martial Artist

Mentalist with lots of EGO powers

Mystic with a combination of Elemental powers, Ego powers and Flight or Teleport

Flyer with maybe a Flight multipower, vision enhansment powers and skills in Move By

A teleporter with stealth and a little martial arts

A stretcher a la Elastigirl

Again, the focus for these characters should be to make them easy to understand and play by a first time Champs player. However, if the Mystic and Psi both have powers like "Mind Link, 8 minds at a time" and all the other characters have "Radio Recieve/Transmit OIF Earbug" that would NOT be a bad thing.

This is WAY more characters than I'd need, even if the first wave of heros DOES get killed on the beach. If people post here saying "I'm working on these two heros" that should cut down the overlap.

Please post the characters with a Hero Designer file as an attachment.

When I have collected all the heros, I'll post a .ZIP file with all the Hero Designer files included.

Headed to bed shortly, but I'll take a stab at some of these tomorrow. It's not like I've got anything better to do. It's not like you can find a real job in December anyway.

I'll give a try at a Flying Brick, if no one else has built one.

Also, Phydaux, if there are any standard bits you want all the characters to have, Code vs. Killing, a Radio Link, some Group Member Package Deal, please write them up and post them.

That would save everyone else a lot of time, and ensure consistency.

KA.

Re: Island of Dr. Destroyer as a one off?Okay, here is my first stab at the Flying Brick.Take it easy on me, I was in a hurry, and I am not used to campaign limits.Also, I was trying to keep him simple.One last bit, that other poster might want to include, why would this character be sent to the I.O.D.D.?Well, Dr. D's plan for world conquest could obviously destroy the global economy, which would interest Bankkorp. Also, it is a good chance for great publicity, and who knows, it all may be a big bluff anyway, UNTIL may have it taken care of before we even get there.Auric The Golden KnightPlayer:

Val Char Cost
40/60 STR 30
24 DEX 42
25 CON 30
20 BODY 20
18 INT 8
15 EGO 10
20 PRE 10
14 COM 2
11/30 PD 3
11/30 ED 6
4 SPD 6
15 REC 4
50 END 0
55 STUN 2
12" RUN122" SWIM08"/12" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 185
Cost Power END
Powered Armor, all slots OIF (-1/2)
30 1) Armor (15 PD/15 ED) 0
13 2) Density Increase (1,300 kg mass, +20 STR, +4 PD/ED, -4" KB) 2
3 3) Sight Group Flash Defense (5 points) 0
8 4) High Range Radio Perception (Radio Group) 0
3 5) Infrared Perception (Sight Group) 0
3 6) Ultraviolet Perception (Sight Group) 0
40 Multipower, 60-point reserve, all slots OIF (Armor JetBlasters; -1/2)
3u 1) Flight 20" 4
3u 2) Energy Blast 12d6; 6 Charges (-3/4) [6]
Powers Cost: 106
Cost Skill
3 Bribery 13-
3 Bureaucratics 13-
7 Computer Programming (Hacking and Computer Security, Personal Computers, Local Networks, Mainframes and Supercomputers) 13-
3 Conversation 13-
3 Deduction 13-
5 Forgery (Documents, Money (Counterfeiting), Credit Cards) 13-
3 High Society 13-
3 Paramedics 13-
3 Persuasion 13-
3 Power 17- (21-)
4 PS : Banker 14-
3 Security Systems 13-
3 Teamwork 14-
Skills Cost: 46
Cost Perk
10 Money: Wealthy
Perks Cost: 10
Cost Talent
3 Lightning Calculator
Talents Cost: 3
Val Disadvantages
15 Dependent NPC (Wife): Mildred Worth 8- (Normal; Unaware of character's adventuring career/Secret ID)
15 Hunted by GRAB: 8- (Mo Pow, Harshly Punish)
10 Monitored by FTC, Better Business Bureau, and Corporate Watchdog Groups: 11- (As Pow, NCI, Watching)
15 Psychological Limitation: Glory Hound (Very Common, Moderate)
15 Psychological Limitation: Greedy (Willing to "confiscate" valuables, cash, technology, from defeated villains.) (Common, Strong)
15 Psychological Limitation: Protective of Valuables (Money, Precious Metals, Gems, Art) (Common, Strong)
10 Reputation: Corporate Pawn for Big Business Concern, 11-
10 Social Limitation: Secret Identity Frequently (11-), Minor
20 Social Limitation: Subject to Orders of BankKorp Very Frequently (14-), Major
5 Unluck: 1d6
20 Vulnerability: 2 x STUN Magnetic Attacks (Common)
Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 200Experience Required: 0Total Experience Available: 0Experience Unspent: 0Total Character Cost: 350

Height: 1.83 m Hair: Blond
Weight: 82.00 kg Eyes: Brown
Appearance: The armor appears to be solid gold, although it is obviously some sort of alloy. Bright, shiny, and a bit over the top.

In person, Douglass is handsome, polished, and wearing a suit that cost more than your car did.

Personality: Douglass Worth does not mind helping people, as long as he keeps an eye on the Bottom Line. He is greedy, arrogant, and very sure of himself. Auric is the same personality, with a layer of "Good Guy" added on. Auric's job is to make Bankkorp look less like the moneygrubbers that they are. So, he spends a lot of time trying to look good, take credit for whatever gets done right, and avoid blame for whatever goes wrong. He also cares a bit more for property than people, and will take anything that isn't nailed down if the owner is going to be off to jail anyway.

Since his main job is to make Bankkorp look good, Auric trains himself with a passion. He has learned skills like Paramedic that look good on camera. He has also spent a lot of time working on creative uses of his STR, because a little extra flash never hurts.

Quote:You have been operating in the red too long. Prepare to be written off!Background: Douglas Worth's life had been planned since birth. His family was wealthy, with many financial interests, not all of them strictly legal. He was going into the world of Banking. The finest schools, the best tutors, and a bit of bribery, ensured he was always the top student in his class. After graduation, he was immediately put onto the fast-track at Bankkorp. He was due to become the VP of Finance by the time he was thirty. He already had the stately home and stately wife, all he needed was a bit of field experience.

One of Bankkorps assets was a gold mining operation in South Africa. After a series of odd accidents, the mine's Head of Research was left in charge. Douglas was sent to investigate, and correct any problems, if necessary. Dr. McGuffin was not happy to see the new arrival from the home office. He expressed this by attacking Douglas and placing him in an experimental separation machine along with a load of high grade gold ore. The machine was intended to extract the gold from the ore in a process involving radiation and a chemical treatment. The idea being to go from ore to refined gold in a single process. Something in the process reacted with unique factors in Douglass' body chemistry. He emerged from the machine, alive, but changed. He was much stronger, and tougher, but not bulletproof. He arranged for Dr. McGuffin to be arrested for "attempted sabotage" with no mention of what really happened. And he made sure that Bankkorp retained the right to any future use of the technology. After some time, he arranged for Dr. McGuffin's release, in exchange for building him a set of powered armor to enhance his new abilites. Now he has another identity as Auric The Golden Knight. Bankkorp officials have been told that Auric is a stuntman in a powered suit that Worth hired to give the company a more positive image.

Powers/Tactics: Auric uses his Strength and Armor to overpower foes. At least when the cameras are on. The rest of the time, he is never above sneak attacks, dirty tricks, and whatever will turn the tide in his favor.

He is also always ready to send a teammate in to fight any foe that he thinks could actually hurt him. His Energy Blast is a big drain on his armor's resources, so it can only be used six times per day.

Campaign Use: A somewhat neutral hero who does most of his good when the camera is on him.

Again, this is the first take.Once I get him hammered out, I will post the .hdc fileKA.

Re: Island of Dr. Destroyer as a one off?Here is my quick writeup of a mentalist for your demo. I tried to cover most of the bases for a "super-psychic" without delving into TK. As it is, I'm thinking she does pretty good but may run into trouble against robots.TherapistPlayer:

Val** Char*** Cost
15** STR 5
20** DEX 30
23** CON 26
12** BODY 4
18** INT 8
26** EGO 32
15** PRE 5
16** COM 3
5/20** PD 2
5/20** ED 0
5** SPD 20
8** REC 0
47** END 1
37** STUN 5
*8"**RUN43"**SWIM13"**LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 146
Cost** Power END
60** Mental Attunement: Multipower, 60-point reserve*
6u** 1) Mental Disruption: Ego Attack 6d6* 6
6u** 2) Misleading the Mind: Mental Illusions 12d6* 6
4u** 3) Preserve Mental Frequencies: Mental Defense (29 points total), Usable Simultaneously (up to 16 people at once; +1 1/4); Costs Endurance (-1/2)* 6
6u** 4) Psychic Pressure: Mind Control 12d6* 6
6u** 5) Psychic Rapport: Telepathy 12d6* 6
3u** 6) Soothing the Perceptions: Invisibility to Sight, Mental, Hearing and Smell/Taste Groups , No Fringe; Not vs. Machines/Artifical Sensors (-1/2)* 4
40** Multi-Mind Attunement: Mind Link , Human class of minds, Any Willing Target, No LOS Needed, Number of Minds (x8)* 0
33** Force Field Belt: FF (15 PD/15 ED) (Protect Carried Items), 8 Continuing Fuel Charges lasting 1 Turn each (+1/4); OIF (High-Tech Belt; -1/2)* [8 cc]
Powers Cost: 164
Cost** Skill
0** Acting 8-*
3** Analyze: Mental States 13-*
3** Bureaucratics 12-*
0** Climbing 8-*
0** Concealment 8-*
0** Conversation 8-*
0** Deduction 8-*
1** KS: Metahuman Psychology 8-*
0** Language: German (completely fluent; literate)*
4** Language: English (completely fluent; literate)*
3** Paramedics 13-*
0** Persuasion 8-*
3** Power: Mental Attunement 14-*
3** PS: Psychologist 13-*
3** SS: Behavioral Science 13-*
3** SS: Criminal Psychology 13-*
0** Shadowing 8-*
0** Stealth 8-*
3** Teamwork 13-*
0** TF: Common Motorized Ground Vehicles*
10** +2 with Mental Attunement Powers*
Skills Cost: 39
Cost** Perk
1** Fringe Benefit: Licensed Therapist*
Perks Cost: 1
Val** Disadvantages
10** Accidental Change: On failed mind control, Takes on Psych Lim of target if target's ego is 26 or higher 11- (Uncommon)*
10** Distinctive Features: Unusual Mental Energy (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Uncommonly-Used Senses: Mental Senses)*
15** Enraged: When mentalists use powers to humiliate normals (Uncommon), go 11-, recover 11-*
20** Hunted: Professor Will 11- (As Pow, Knows details of Character's Life, Harshly Punish)*
15** Hunted: P.S.I. 8- (Mo Pow, Harshly Punish)*
20** Psychological Limitation: Code Versus Killing Common, Total*
20** Psychological Limitation: Must only use mental powers to help the greater good (Very Common, Strong)*
15** Social Limitation: Secret Identity (Gretchen Kunze) Frequently (11-), Major*
15** Susceptibility: If in mental contact with someone who is knocked below 0 Body, 3d6 damage Instant (Uncommon)*
10** Vulnerability: 1 1/2 x STUN Electrical Attacks (Common)*

Base Points: 200Experience Required: 0Total Experience Available: 0Experience Unspent: 0Total Character Cost: 350

Height: 1.75 m Hair: Blonde
Weight: 55.00 kg Eyes: Blue
Appearance: Standing a slim 5'9" the Therapist wears a simple skin-tight blue jumpsuit into combat. Personality: Quote:"Let's see how that makes you feel"Background: A promising graduate student assisting her Professor pursue new and advanced theories of human cognition, Gretchen Kunze was on the cutting edge. Professor Williams had mades breakthroughs far beyond anything she had seen as an undergraduate in Germany. Using his process, careful stimulation of precise areas of the brain allowed anyone to “tune in†to the mental wavelengths of others. By exerting pressure on those wavelengths it was even possible to cause changes in the thought processes of others.

Gretchen saw immense potential in helping others through trauma. Professor Williams saw a way of getting all the funding he needed without interference from others.

Now calling himself Professor Will, he began to use his newfound powers to live out all his petty fantasies of power and influence, mentally ordering Gretchen not to inform anyone. His newly enhanced will was more than enough to silence her.

Unfortunatly for him, he underestimated Gretchen's understaning of the process. She was able to undergo the same enhancements as Williams. With her newly enhanced will, She was able to tip off the authorities to his activites and drive him into hiding, but does not fool herself into thinking their story is over just yet.

Powers/Tactics: Advanced electrical treatments have rewired the Therapist's brainwaves, allowing her to tune into the thoughts of others and modify them with pure mental pressure. She can make people see things that are not there, belive things that never happened, make them do things against their will, or even blot out their ability to percieve her. She can reach into the minds of several others at a time, allowing them to communicate freely, and even protect people from the mental influence of others.

The Therapist's powers are artifical in nature, and stick out as odd to those who have arrived at similar mental abilites through mental or magical discipline. She influences others by exerting her will over theirs and is theoretically vulnerable to a will stronger that hers. So far, Professor Will is the only person to even come close but she is not arrogent enough to believe there aren't others. The origin of her powers has left her vulnerable to electrical discharges, which cause her stinging headaches as they intefere with her brainwaves.

Although her mental disciplines have allowed her to strengthen her body immesureably, she is still a normal human. To survive the life of a superhero she relies on a high-tech belt provided by >>INSERT GADGET/TECH HERO<<.

Campaign Use: 

Re: Island of Dr. Destroyer as a one off?Okay, here is my take on the Superleaping Brick.His name is Mortar.MortarPlayer:

Val Char Cost
30 STR 20
15 DEX 15
25 CON 30
20 BODY 20
16 INT 6
13 EGO 6
15 PRE 5
12 COM 1
30 PD 24
30 ED 25
4 SPD 15
20 REC 18
50 END 0
50 STUN 2
6" RUN02" SWIM018" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 187
Cost Power END
15 Damage Resistance (15 PD/15 ED) 0
50 Energy Blast 10d6, Personal Immunity (+1/4), Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2); No Range (-1/2), Conditional Power Power requires Half-Move Leaping (-1/4) 9
14 Leaping +12" (18" forward, 9" upward) (Accurate), combat acceleration/deceleration (+1/4); OIF JumpBoots (-1/2) 2
10 High Range Radio Perception (Radio Group); IIF Ear Bud (-1/4) 0
Powers Cost: 89
Cost Martial Arts Maneuver
4 Fast Strike: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +0 DCV, 8d6 Strike
4 Martial Strike: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 8d6 Strike
3 Martial Throw: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +1 DCV, 6d6 +v/5, Target Falls
Martial Arts Cost: 11
Cost Skill
9 +3 with Move Through\Leaping Energy Blast\Martial Strike
3 Combat Driving 12-
3 Combat Piloting 12-
3 Concealment 12-
3 Demolitions 12-
3 Lockpicking 12-
3 Mechanics 12-
4 Navigation (Air, Land, Marine) 12-
3 Parachuting 12-
3 Paramedics 12-
5 PS: Soldier 14-
3 Security Systems 12-
3 Shadowing 12-
3 Stealth 12-
3 Survival 12-
3 Tactics 12-
3 Teamwork 12-
Skills Cost: 60
Cost Talent
3 Absolute Range Sense
Val Disadvantages
15 Dependent NPC Brother: Jack Morton UNTIL Chopper Pilot 11- (Normal)
20 Monitored by U.S. Govt: 11- (Mo Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching)
15 Psychological Limitation: Protective of Innocents (Very Common, Moderate)
15 Psychological Limitation: Heroic, will sacrifice self for comrades. (Common, Strong)
15 Psychological Limitation: Seeks Simple Solutions to Complex Problems: Who do I hit? What do I break? (Common, Strong)
5 Physical Limitation: Tone Deaf (Infrequently, Slightly Impairing)
10 Reputation: Gung Ho Marine, 11-
15 Social Limitation: Public Identity Frequently (11-), Major
20 Social Limitation: Subject to Orders of U.S. Military Very Frequently (14-), Major
20 Vulnerability: 2 x STUN Explosive Attacks (Common)

Height: 1.91 m Hair: Black
Weight: 86.00 kg Eyes: Blue
Appearance: While Mortar has a Public I.D. he wears standard fatigues so that he can blend in with other military personnel.

His JumpBoots look like a heavier version of standard combat boots, with small jet-pods on each side.

Personality: Mortar isn't stupid, he just sees things as black and white.

Who is the bad guy, and how do I take him down?

He is fiercely loyal to anyone he sees as a teammate.

His goal is to complete his mission to the best of his ability.

He also does his best to protect his brother Jack when he is on loan to U.N.T.I.L. Jack is a good pilot, but no superhero. And he seems to have a knack for getting himself in hot water.

Quote:Incoming!Background: Private Martin Morten was doing really well in his Marine Corps training. He was tough, strong, and agile. He was also the type of guy who would do anything for a buddy. Which is why, when his buddy Gary mishandled a live grenade during training, Martin threw himself on it without hesitation. They took him to the infirmiry, and his Sergeant and the rest of his platoon started polishing their brass for his funeral service. They were told that he could have no visitors. They waited a week, and then two, and finally the Sergeant went to make some inquiries. He came back and told the platoon that Martin had been transferred. The platoon assumed it meant to a medical facility. But Martin was actually transferred to a new training group. One for paranormals discovered in the U.S. Military. The explosion didn't kill him. And once his body healed, he was really hard to hurt with anything. Not only that, but the explosion seemed to trigger some latent ability to store up and release kinetic energy. Martin could throw himself in the air and let off a burst of concussive force when he landed. They gave him a set of JumpBoots to help him jump further, and codenamed him "Mortar". Now he does what he can to help his country, while he serves out his hitch.Powers/Tactics: Mortar does not hesitate to use his Leaping to perform a MoveThrough.

He jumps in the air and lands on the target.

If the target is too mobile, he uses his Area Effect 1 Hex "Explosion" to hit them.

He has also had some Martial Arts Training, and his overall toughness makes him suprisingly tough in hand to hand combat.

He also has received a wide variety of training, for almost any situation a modern soldier could face.

Campaign Use: 

Just to clarify -- by "swinging" power projector do you mean someone who's primary movement power is Swinging?

I've got some ideas for these two, let me stick FREd and a notebook in my bookbag and take them to work with me. Official Disclaimer: I work at a dry cleaners, and we're coming up on one of our busy seasons. If I get loads of people hauling half their closets in with them (or worse, loads of people who didn't bother to read the "do not dry clean" tag when they bought that party dress), I probably won't be posting anything till Sunday.

"No' date=' no - I'm trying to say that my sidekick and I... we have an [i']arrangement[/i]."

I was thinking more along the lines of:

"Yeah, Baby! I'm a swinging, power-projecting, Man of Mystery, Baby!

Watch my groovy Psychedelic Flower Power Blast put these squares on ice!"

KA.

"Welcome to the 21st Century' date=' hippy."[/quote']

As long as people are still having promiscuous sex with many anonymous partners, without protection, while at the same time experimenting with mind-expanding drugs in a consequence-free environment, I'll be sound as a pound!

:D

KA.

Phydaux,

Are we getting anywhere on this?

Are the characters posted so far okay?

Just checking to make sure this is still on before I make a bunch more.

KA.

Or do you really hate them and are too polite to tell us. :eek:

I think the ones we have so far, plus the Champions, will do nicely.

I'm also going to let players bring their own PCs, with the understanding that they might die half-way through the game.

I'm planning on "waves" of heros hitting the island, so if one player's character dies, then that player can get a new character in the next wave.

Thanks for all your help,

phy

Wow.

I've never even seen The Island of Dr. Destroyer. It came a bit before my time & I've never stumbled across it.

Is it really that nasty? And is it really so Iron Age that waves of heroes will keep dying on the beach?

I mean the Day of the Destroyer was a pretty silver age spectacle all in all. People could die and Gigaton and the good Dr. were pretty bad, but I didn't get the idea that PCs were supposed to be getting slaughtered left and right.

For that matter, if you are going to be introducing folks to Hero for the first time, do you really want to start slaughtering the PCs right away?

OK, here's the first draft of Jade Tiger, the martial artist for this group. Before anyone brings it up: yes, I know he doesn't have Martial Dodge. A regular dodge will put this guy over the CV cap. I also wrote him without skill levels because I've seen newer players have trouble keeping track of them.

I've still got some work to do on his background/personality, so bring out your feedback :) .

Jade Tiger

Player:

Val** Char*** Cost
15** STR 5
29** DEX 57
21** CON 22
16** BODY 12
13** INT 3
15** EGO 10
15** PRE 5
12** COM 1
8/18** PD 5
8/16** ED 4
6** SPD 21
7** REC 0
42** END 0
35** STUN 0
*9"**RUN04"**SWIM06"**LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 145

Cost** Power END
6** Fast: Running +3" (9" total)* 1
3** Agile: Leaping +3" (6" forward, 3" upward)* 1
2** Good Swimmer: Swimming +2" (4" total)* 1
18** Armored Costume: Armor (10 PD/8 ED); OIF (-1/2)* 0
16** Tiger Strike: HA +9d6; Increased Endurance Cost (x3 END; -1), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)* 12
5** Guarded Defenses: Lack Of Weakness (-5) for Normal Defense* 0
5** Guarded Defenses: Lack Of Weakness (-5) for Resistant Defenses* 0
10** I Do Not Choose To Be Seen: Invisibility to Sight Group ; Requires A Stealth Roll (-1/2), Only When Not Attacking (-1/2)* 2
7** Radio Earpiece: Radio Perception/Transmission (Radio Group); IAF (-1/2)* 0
9** Perceptive: +3 PER with all Sense Groups* 0
4** Mask Lenses: Sight Group Flash Defense (5 points); IIF (-1/4)* 0
Powers Cost: 85

Cost** Martial Arts Maneuver
** Ninjutsu*
4** 1) Atemi Punch: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, 3 1/2d6 NND*
4** 2) Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort*
5** 3) Kick: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +1 DCV, 10d6 Strike*
4** 4) Knife Hand: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +0 DCV, HKA 2d6*
4** 5) Punch: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 8d6 Strike*
4** 6) Reversal: var Phase, -1 OCV, -2 DCV, 45 STR to Escape; Grab Two Limbs*
5** 7) Takeaway: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, Grab Weapon, 40 STR to take weapon away*
3** 8) Throw: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +1 DCV, 6d6 +v/5, Target Falls*
12** 9) +3 Damage Classes*
Martial Arts Cost: 45

Cost** Skill
3** Acrobatics 15-*
5** Analyze: Style 13-*
5** Analyze: Combat Technique 13-*
3** Breakfall 15-*
3** Climbing 15-*
3** Computer Programming 12-*
3** Concealment 12-*
3** Deduction 12-*
3** Disguise 12-*
2** KS: Ninjutsu 11-*
0** Language: English (native)*
2** Language: Ninja Codes And Symbols (fluent "conversation")*
4** Language: Japanese (idiomatic)*
3** Lockpicking 15-*
2** Navigation (Land) 12-*
3** Paramedics 12-*
3** Power: Martial Arts Tricks 15-*
5** Security Systems 13-*
3** Shadowing 12-*
3** Sleight Of Hand 15-*
3** Stealth 15-*
2** Survival (Temperate/Subtropical) 12-*
3** Teamwork 15-*
2** WF: Common Martial Arts Melee Weapons*
Skills Cost: 71

Cost** Perk
1** Fringe Benefit: Passport*
Perks Cost: 1

Cost** Talent
3** Lightsleep*

Total Character Cost: 350

Val** Disadvantages
20** DNPC: parents 8- (Normal; Unaware of character's adventuring career/Secret ID; Group DNPC: x2 DNPCs)*
10** Floating DNPC: current girlfriend 8- (Normal)*
10** Distinctive Features: Style (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Large Group)*
15** Hunted: Green Dragon 11- (As Pow, Beat To A Pulp To Show Who's The Best)*
15** Hunted: The Kagemura Clan 8- (Mo Pow, Capture/Kill)*
20** Hunted: VIPER 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Capture/Kill)*
20** Psychological Limitation: Code Versus Killing (Common, Total)*
10** Psychological Limitation: Plays Up The "Ninja Mystique" (Common, Moderate)*
15** Psychological Limitation: Protective Of Innocents (Common, Strong)*
15** Social Limitation: Secret Identity (Kenneth Mashida) (Frequently, Major)*

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

Background: In the early 20th century, a young boy of the Kagemura ninja clan learned that his clan served a lord too dark to be named. In fear and loathing, he slipped away from the training compound, left a message revealing the compound's location with the local governor, and stowed away on a ship bound for America.

Almost a hundred years later, the Kagemura clan had not forgotten the boy's actions, and had finally traced him. While he was long dead, he had married, and some of his descendants were still alive. The clan sent a team to kidnap one of those descendants, a high school student named Kenneth Mashida. They grabbed Kenneth on his way home from a computer club meeting, rushed him to the docks, and loaded the unconscious boy on a clan-owned tramp freighter bound for one of the smaller islands in the Japanese chain. Their plan was to turn Kenneth to the ways of the Kagemura ninja and their lord the Night Dragon, then send him to kill all the other descendants of the traitor, Kenneth's grandfather.

Kenneth couldn't understand what was going on at first -- he knew his parents weren't wealthy enough to pay a ransom. By the time he had arrived at the clan's newest training facility, though, he had realized that despite how strange it sounded, these people really believed he was a ninja by birth. Over the next 18 months of intense training, Kenneth proved to have a talent for the martial arts (though "learn or die" is a strong incentive by itself). He even began to develop some of the more mystical ninja abilities. However, his trainers were never able to convert him to the service of the Night Dragon. Despite their efforts, Kenneth's mind and soul remained free.

Kenneth had been given the name Jade Tiger when his training started, an allusion to his birthdate in Japanese astrology. When he first learned to focus his ki to deliver a powerful blow, his teachers promptly dubbed that maneuver his "Tiger Strike". They failed to realize just how powerful the maneuver could be, though, since they didn't understand just how strong Kenneth's will was. That night, Kenneth employed his Tiger Strike to overpower the guards and escape the compound. He managed to get to the main island, but his pursuers were close behind him. Fortunately for Kenneth, a Japanese superhero noticed the ensuing fight, and dove in to rescue him.

After he made it back to the United States, Kenneth did a lot of thinking. He knew the Kagemura clan wouldn't give up. He'd also been impressed with the Japanese super who'd rescued him. He finally decided that the only way he could keep his family safe was to become a superhero himself. If he used his Kagemura name as his superheroic code name, it would attract enough attention from any Kagemura agents that they wouldn't have time to go after his family.

Appearance: Kenneth Mashida stands 5'7" tall, and weighs 194 pounds (all muscle, though he doesn't look that heavy). His hair and eyes are both black, and he has the typical Oriental skin tone.

Kenneth favors dressy casual clothes. In his secret identity, he often wears neatly pressed jeans and polo shirts. In his heroic identity, Jade Tiger wears the traditional ninja nightsuit, but in jade green instead of black.

Is it really that nasty? And is it really so Iron Age that waves of heroes will keep dying on the beach?

I'm trying to keep the "feel" in sync with what I tell the players about the game universe.

If I tell the players that fifty superheros, along with over 60,000 civilains, died battling Dr. Destroyer during the Battle of Detriot (CU, p. 77) and yet a team of new superheros trounce the Big D and all his minions on their very first outing, that's not very consistant.

On the otherhand, if I tell players to be ready for a demo of a really cool game system with a fully realised game universe and an epic, SUPER heroic storyline, then they'll beat down the door trying to get a seat at the table.

AND, most of the experienced role players will want to play characters of their own creation.

(And most of the kids will want to play either Superman, Batman or Wolverine. sigh...)

BTW, if I recall correctly Island of Dr. Destroyer IS that nasty. The first thing the good Doctor throws at them to let them know he is aware of their presence is a sub-tactical nuke (30D6 AOE EB). This is while the heroes are over water on the way to the island.

All the characters then hit the water, CON stunned, most at negative STUN and many at negative BODY.

"Can someone with the Paramedic skill please stop my Mentalist from drowning before she bleeds to death? Thanks..."

At least that's how my old GM ran it.

I just had to dig my copy out.

Even back then, Dr D was no push over. The Dr D from Island is still running at 500pts. Not the killing machine he is these days, but still more than enough to be the leader of some villainous team.

That might not be a bad idea to run it. It could be fun. Let the heroes get to the island, land, get into the complex and THEN overhear some goon talk about how Dr D isn't gonna like it.

Watch their jaws hit the table and see how long it takes them to run back to the jetcopter! :)

In my mind, a good demo game gives the PCs a chance. Super Hero demos let characters be Superheroic. I've never seen the Island of Dr. D, but it sounds like it may not be quite right for a one-off. I mean, even the most Iron-Age of comics lets the heros do something other than die ignominously.

If you have been playing up Dr. D, then you either have to have CKC Dr. D obliterate the PCs or else when 6 of them eventually beat the 500 pt 3rd Edition version they are going to wonder why 50 Heroes died against this guy.

My suggestion? Run the adventure as written, then at the last minute reveal that the 500 pt Dr. D is a clone/robot/projection and the real Dr. D has advanced some other nefarious plot while they were busy on his distraction island.

My other suggestion? If you are trying to introduce folks to the Hero universe without killing them in the first combat run Champions Battlegrounds. The Park and Mall segments are great superslugfests while still letting the heroes be heroes.