New Campaign could use some feedback

MitchellS

Re: New Campaign could use some feedback

Believe me, if I had any mapping ability at all I'd do deck plans. I'd love to see the layout of a Command Carrier or Cruiser. :)

The hardest part is building the ships from the fighter up. I need to know what the size of the smaller craft are so that I know how big to make the Carrier Classes. I need to make sure all those fighters and couriers will fit within it and still leave room for everything else. :)

I'm assuming you got TUV? If not you probably should if you are going to be playing with starship design. I don't have it, but I would imagine that there are going to be some kind of fighter jet in there. A starfighter should be roughly the same size, neh? A spy ship (don't remember what you called it) should be about the size of a train car. I think that might be the way to do it. Figure out about how big you think the thing should be then design from there.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey thats cool.

As for the whole hierachy/alliance of races it can be a less slave/dominating verision of the Uplift system. I just grabbed the idea of 6 major races from the mention of the 6 command carriers eg the 6 big boys have sector commands and a major carrier stationed on their home worlds ~ Earths just happens to be the military headquarters.

For some funky ship plans for any of the alien species check out

http://www.spelljammer.org/ships/index.html

Some of the deck plans could provide with a little modification funky ships for the aliens..... or Strategic Command who says the ships have to be metalitic in nature

As a suggestion for some species, if you have access to it Alternity has some great species that would be relatively easy to convert if they haven't been already. Or just steal your favorite SF species eg "You can be the Narn from B5, Vulcans from Star Trek, Wookies from Star Wars etc"

That or from real SF fun, play the Little Green Men, pranksters who've been doing odd things to cows and hicks since 1951! (Hey maybe Mightybec is a little green man in disguise!)

Cheers, David

That's what I'm just starting to figure out myself. I like the idea of having lesser aliens as part of another group's involvement. I was planning on having the race from Alpha Centauri being originally 100 year behind Earth in tech so when they were encountered it was easy for Earth to convince them to become allies by dangling shiny baubles. Sort of like the pilgrim and the indians. I'm planning on having 5-6 adversarial races that are pushing the borders on a few sides of the expanding Galactic Council. I want to throw in some really alien species like rock men and suck as well. I just got more involved on the tech side of things due to my conversations last week about TE and AW. :)

I'm still trying to feel it all out myself. I wasn't even sure if I would use missiles or torpedoes or plasma cannons. I've only been working on this 2 days so far. :)

I'll probably choose to go with the extra time rather than vehicles. I think the vehicles will just add another level of complexity to it. I would also still allow for reconfiguration of the missiles based on what the players would do within the role-playing. I like to give players a lot of options and leeway.

Vehicles would take more time. Its probably my spacebattle experience. I'm used to playing with them as more vehicles than attacks and I like the effects I can have with missles/torps, especially the dormant or fire and forget types. But to each, his own.

The current chain of command for Strategic Command is:

Grand Admiral: This person is the leader of Strategic Command and answers solely to the Galactic Council.

Vice Admiral: These 5 individuals make up the War Council of Strategic Command.

Flag Admiral: These 6 individuals command Command Carriers. 5 of them operate as military governors of each of the 5 Sectors. The 6th Command Carrier is stationed at Earth and is in charge of the Earth Defense Forces.

Star Admiral: These individuals command Starbases and Carriers. There are currently 25 Starbases and 17 Carriers.

Commodore: These individuals command Starports and Battleships. There are currently 113 Starports and several hundred Battleships in Strategic Command.

Star Captain: These individuals command Destroyers and Cruisers.

Captains: These individuals command Frigates, Couriers, and Science Vessels.

Commander: These individuals command Troup Transports and Medical Ships.

Lieutenant Commander: These individuals command Repair Vessels, Supply Ships, and Fighters.

Ensign: These individuals command fighter craft.

Enlisted: These individuals make up the bulk of the Corp and cover every other gambit of operation.

Okay, since others are tackling the technical issues, let me tackle some things I see on the political side of things.

Military governors imply a military dictatorship of some type. This might be intentional, since big bad dictatorships are always fun to fight against. How much political power do flag admirals have, or rather how arbitrary can their rulings, judgment, and decisions be in non-military matters relating to the governed systems?

Thing you should realize about dictatorships in general is that there is an information problem in them, which renders them ineffective at providing for the needs and desires of a population. (See Hayek) So this is always a good villain, as it gives them a ready made flaw. Villains who have no flaws, no weaknesses can be very frustrating to defeat.

However, if this is the good guys, there are some bugs that need to be worked out. You might want a civilian sector government with command over the sector fleet, or the sector fleets independent of the local government altogether. This latter would be my recommendation, as it makes it easier for the central military command (Grand Admiral) to move forces about as needed.

The changes recommended I think would be pretty minimal. Drop reference to "military governors" and make your flag admirals "fleet commanders" in the different sectors. The sectors would be governed in a federated republic of sorts, by civilians. And the military would be free from having to do all the other jobs a government requires, but is superfluous to military operations and functioning. (After all, what do Command Carriers command if not other ships?)

Besides, tensions between local governments and local military might provide more chances for story.

In present day, as well as historically, Commodores commanded squadrons or fleets of ships instead of single isolated vessels or star bases. Even Leutenant Commanders might find themselves the HMFIC of a squadron or fleet of fighter craft.

You seem to equate a particular rank with the size or function of the vessel. I would suggest amending this. Commanding a troop transport is a far different thing from commanding a frigate, destroyer or other combat vessel. Hospital ships are supposed to stay out of harms way. Destroyers head toward it. It takes a different mind set and training to command these different types of missions as well as ships.

Ship command rank is a function of crew size, which roughly tracks with ship's size. Bigger ships don't have higher ranking captains just because they are bigger. They have them because bigger ships have larger crews. And there is also the factor of lethality involved. Bigger ships, or alternately larger fleets are more deadly (to the enemy, hopefully) than smaller units. That means as a prudent Grand Admiral, you want more seasoned, more responsible, officers commanding more lethal units. And have those officers experienced in dealing with lethal vessels and crews.

I would advise logistics and support ship command to be separate from "line" command. Different command tracks for either set of officers. You can keep the same rank structure, but recognize the guy whose been commanding Destroyer tenders (repair ships) his whole life ain't going to be in command of a Destroyer.

Also, shouldn't there be a Leutenant rank between Ensign and LTCMDR?

The changes recommended I think would be pretty minimal. Drop reference to "military governors" and make your flag admirals "fleet commanders" in the different sectors. The sectors would be governed in a federated republic of sorts, by civilians. And the military would be free from having to do all the other jobs a government requires, but is superfluous to military operations and functioning. (After all, what do Command Carriers command if not other ships?)

Besides, tensions between local governments and local military might provide more chances for story.

That was my mistake. My intention was not to establish a dictatorship or military rule. When I used the word Governor I really meant to imply Sector Commander in regards to the military and the protection of the planets within the sector. I think we were on the same page I just chose a poor word. :)

In present day, as well as historically, Commodores commanded squadrons or fleets of ships instead of single isolated vessels or star bases. Even Leutenant Commanders might find themselves the HMFIC of a squadron or fleet of fighter craft.

Yes, I just wanted Commodore to be a step up. I was envisioning more Commodore Decker aboard his ship from ST:TOS. I know my ranks are not standard military. I'm looking for a little diversity. Ideally a Commodore, in a grouping of ships for whatever purpose, would take charge of the assembled fleet. The battleship is the biggest ship in the fleet most people will ever encounter [carriers only come into play if there are major conflicts] so I wanted those commanders to have the most rank.

You seem to equate a particular rank with the size or function of the vessel. I would suggest amending this. Commanding a troop transport is a far different thing from commanding a frigate, destroyer or other combat vessel. Hospital ships are supposed to stay out of harms way. Destroyers head toward it. It takes a different mind set and training to command these different types of missions as well as ships.

I see command as a way of advancement. The more powerful and important the ship the higher the rank that will be assigned to command it. Battleships and Starports are the most important, and so get Commodores [officers with the most experience]. This carries on down the line. That's why Hospital Ships are commanded by a Commander - they don't need as much experience. Ultimately most Hospital Ship Commanders are wanting to be promoted so they can advance to another ship class.

I see the promotion as being along these lines:

Lt Commander goes from Repair Ship to Supply Ship. When promoted to Commander he goes to Medical Ship and then Troop Transport. When promoted to Captain he goes to Courier, the Frigate, then Science vessel. When promoted to Star Captain he goes to Destroyer and then Cruiser. When promoted to Commodore he goes to Battleships and then Starports, etc.

I wanted there to be an established chain of promotion so that officers would know what to expect in their carriers, with very few willing to settle for being the Commander of a Medical Ship their entire career.

I would advise logistics and support ship command to be separate from "line" command. Different command tracks for either set of officers. You can keep the same rank structure, but recognize the guy whose been commanding Destroyer tenders (repair ships) his whole life ain't going to be in command of a Destroyer.

I'll think about that. Like I said above though, no one would want to command a Tender [thanks for the word, btw, I couldn't remember what repair ships were called. I'll change it to Tender now] their entire career. If they found themselves in the position for more than a year or two they would know their career is dead-ended and might think about a position in the Merchant Marines or with a corporation. Lots of things for me to think about though. :)

Also, shouldn't there be a Leutenant rank between Ensign and LTCMDR?

Thanks for that too. I had a complete brain fart on that one. Even when I was writing up the chart I realized something was missing but I couldn't figure out what. :) I'll add them to my list and make the appropriate adjustments.

I see command as a way of advancement. The more powerful and important the ship the higher the rank that will be assigned to command it. Battleships and Starports are the most important' date=' and so get Commodores [officers with the most experience']. This carries on down the line. That's why Hospital Ships are commanded by a Commander - they don't need as much experience. Ultimately most Hospital Ship Commanders are wanting to be promoted so they can advance to another ship class.

I think we are on the same page on a lot of this. And you are absolutely correct, higher ranks go to more "important" ships. But again, commanding a hospital ship does not prepare you for commanding a combat vessel. You are setting up a massively dangerous "Peter Principle" problem for your military. (Of course, that might be your plan all along :snicker: )

Also, in the real world, one does not go from one ship to another. One will rotate between "sea" duty and "shore" duty. You may be commanding a squadron of fighters aboard a carrier this year. Next, you are training pilots at some land base. You cannot keep crews at sea for too long, without some pyschological problems. I am not sure space is that different.

Also, you will NOT spend your career commanding vessels. They don't hand green kids out of the Academy his own command. They want to train them first, put them under more senior officers for guidance, and also testing to see if he can handle the responsiblity of a multibillion dollar, very leathal ship. Before they give you the keys.

You will serve as 1) division head, 2) department head, 3) XO, and THEN 4) CO. (You might serve as assitant division or department head at some point, for ships with larger departments aboard) At least in the "real" navy, i.e. aboard something other than like fighters. Fighter pilots is a different thing altogether.

Example from a nuclear submarine include, (but are not limited to,) Reactor division, Electricial, Mechanical, Auxiliary and Auxiliary Electricial all of which would be under the Engineering Department. Weapons Department would contain the torpedo, missile, fire control and sonar divisions. Operations Department includes Communications, Deck and I am starting to get fuzzy at this point. (I spent my tours back aft.) Its been a long while. But I think you get my drift here.

I'll think about that. Like I said above though, no one would want to command a Tender [thanks for the word, btw, I couldn't remember what repair ships were called. I'll change it to Tender now] their entire career. If they found themselves in the position for more than a year or two they would know their career is dead-ended and might think about a position in the Merchant Marines or with a corporation. Lots of things for me to think about though. :)
Well some folks like that kind of work. And lets face it, sometimes tenders can be the most important ship you have.

Again, I worry about the Peter Principle as described above. Now, I can offer advice based on experience in a real world navy. But it is up to you to take it, and most of my advice will be directed at how to make it seem more realistic, rather than have anything to do with playablity, plotably, or the like.

More than a year or two seems a bit short for a tour as commander of any vessel. Now if it were 4 or 5, then I would get worried. But a year? You are just about broken in. And you also have to take into account the needs of the service. If there are not enough ships to go around, well, promotions take longer.

A couple of other minor points. A repair ship is a much more critical and man power intensive mission than supplying other ships. And usually more important. (Not always but generally speaking) I would recommend reversing these two at a minimum. (Putting your officers aboard a supply ship first, then a repair ship.) Ditto for Troop Transport and Hospital ship.

(Actually, I would still recommend breaking the logisitics officers away from the line officers. It is a completed different mind set and skill set.)

Courier and Science vessels, I think that would depend on the crew size. And I would recommend several different "sizes" for each. You gotta remember that these ships cost a lot of money, and represent a very large investment in manpower, capabilities and time. You want to maximize the resources to where you need them. Sometimes a small scout vessel will be cheaper and just as effective as sending an entire Enterprise class Science cruiser. Sometimes the bigger vessels get noticed more than you really want. ;)

Final Engines w/Prefab

Here is the slightly modified Engines with prefab:

Fusion Drives

Fusions drives are what provide thrust and operate similar to older jet and chemical propulsions systems only they are cleaner and require little upkeep or refueling.

49 Class A Fusion Drive (575 kph/1,725 kph): (Total: 70 Active Cost, 49 Real Cost) Flight 20", x16 Noncombat (55 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-1/2) (Real Cost: 37) plus Up To x125 NCM (15 Active Points); Only In Vacuum (-1/4) (Real Cost: 12)

62 Class B Fusion Drive (865 kph/6,900 kph): (Total: 90 Active Cost, 62 Real Cost) Flight 30", x16 Noncombat (75 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-1/2) (Real Cost: 50) plus Up To x125 NCM (15 Active Points); Only In Vacuum (-1/4) (Real Cost: 12)

75 Class C Fusion Drive (1,150 kph/9,200 kph): (Total: 110 Active Cost, 75 Real Cost) Flight 40", x16 Noncombat (95 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-1/2) (Real Cost: 63) plus Up To x125 NCM (15 Active Points); Only In Vacuum (-1/4) (Real Cost: 12)

89 Class D Fusion Drive (1,450 kph/11,250 kph): (Total: 130 Active Cost, 89 Real Cost) Flight 50", x16 Noncombat (115 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-1/2) (Real Cost: 77) plus Up To x125 NCM (15 Active Points); Only In Vacuum (-1/4) (Real Cost: 12)

93 Class E Fusion Drive (1,450 kph/22,500 kph): (Total: 135 Active Cost, 93 Real Cost) Flight 50", x16 Noncombat (115 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-1/2) (Real Cost: 77) plus Up To x250 NCM (20 Active Points); Only In Vacuum (-1/4) (Real Cost: 16)

Light Drives

Light drives are what allow vehicles to travel at greater than light speed. These engines operate via a balance of matter and anti-matter which allow for a distortion in the space/time field surrounding a vessel.

11 Series I Light Drive (1 LY/Year): Flight 10", MegaScale (1" = 1 trillion km; +3 1/4), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 10,000km (+1/4); Extra Time (1 Year, -6), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Requires A Stellar Navigation Skill Roll (-1/2), Not In Atmosphere (-1/4)

12 Series II Light Drive (12 LY/Year): Flight 10", MegaScale (1" = 1 trillion km; +3 1/4), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 10,000km (+1/4); Extra Time (1 Month, -5), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Requires A Stellar Navigation Skill Roll (-1/2), Not In Atmosphere (-1/4)

13 Series III Light Drive (52 LY/Year): Flight 10", MegaScale (1" = 1 trillion km; +3 1/4), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 10,000km (+1/4); Extra Time (1 Week, -4 1/2), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Requires A Stellar Navigation Skill Roll (-1/2), Not In Atmosphere (-1/4)

14 Series IV Light Drive (365 LY/Year): Flight 10", MegaScale (1" = 1 trillion km; +3 1/4), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 10,000km (+1/4); Extra Time (1 Day, -4), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Requires A Stellar Navigation Skill Roll (-1/2), Not In Atmosphere (-1/4)

17 Series V Light Drive (168 LY/Week): Flight 10", MegaScale (1" = 1 trillion km; +3 1/4), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 10,000km (+1/4); Extra Time (1 Hour, -3), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Requires A Stellar Navigation Skill Roll (-1/2), Not In Atmosphere (-1/4)

19 Series VI Light Drive (500 LY/Week): Flight 10", MegaScale (1" = 1 trillion km; +3 1/4), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 10,000km (+1/4); Extra Time (20 Minute, -2 1/2), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Requires A Stellar Navigation Skill Roll (-1/2), Not In Atmosphere (-1/4)

Jump Drives

Jump dives operate by opening a small stable worm hole in space allowing a vessel to immediately "jump" between the two points. The current limit is 10 Light Years and puts a considerable strain on the engines which limits the number of times they can be used between repairs. Jump Drives are currently used to make tactic maneuvers or as escape plans. Strategic Command hopes to soon be able to make this into a weapon of sorts.

14 Alpha Series Jump Drive (30 LY To Repair): Teleportation 10", MegaScale (1" = 1 light-year; +3 1/2); Increased Endurance Cost (x5 END; -2), 3 Charges (-1 1/4), Extra Time (Extra Phase, -3/4), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Requires A Worm Hole Navigation Skill Roll (-1/2), Not In Atmosphere (-1/4)

16 Beta Series Jump Drive (60 LY To Repair): Teleportation 10", MegaScale (1" = 1 light-year; +3 1/2); Increased Endurance Cost (x5 END; -2), 6 Charges (-3/4), Extra Time (Extra Phase, -3/4), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Requires A Worm Hole Navigation Skill Roll (-1/2), Not In Atmosphere (-1/4)

17 Gamma Series Jump Drive (90 LY To Repair): Teleportation 10", MegaScale (1" = 1 light-year; +3 1/2); Increased Endurance Cost (x5 END; -2), Extra Time (Extra Phase, -3/4), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Requires A Worm Hole Navigation Skill Roll (-1/2), 9 Charges (-1/4), Not In Atmosphere (-1/4)

18 Delta Series Jump Drive (120 LY To Repair): Teleportation 10", MegaScale (1" = 1 light-year; +3 1/2); Increased Endurance Cost (x5 END; -2), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Requires A Worm Hole Navigation Skill Roll (-1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2), 12 Charges (-1/4), Not In Atmosphere (-1/4)

Final Weapons w/Prefab

Here are the slightly modifed Weapon's Systems with prefab:

Laser weapons and Missiles are the most common armament of the fleet. Strategic Command is currently working on Anti-matter torpedoes to add to the arsenal.

Laser Weapon Systems

Lasers are the standard weapons on all small ships. Class I-IV vessels contain long-range versions of these weapons allowing them to fire several thousand kilometers.

34 Type 1 Laser: Killing Attack - Ranged 3d6, No Range Modifier (+1/2), Increased Maximum Range (11,250"; +1/2), 60 Charges (+1/2); OIF Bulky (-1), Limited Arc Of Fire (One hex row; -3/4), Real Weapon (-1/4), Beam (-1/4)

45 Type 2 Laser: Killing Attack - Ranged 3d6, Autofire (3 shots; +1/4), No Range Modifier (+1/2), Increased Maximum Range (14,000"; +1/2), 125 Charges (+3/4); OIF Bulky (-1), Limited Arc Of Fire (60 degrees; -1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4), Beam (-1/4)

55 Type 3 Laser: Killing Attack - Ranged 4d6, No Range Modifier (+1/2), Increased Maximum Range (16,875"; +1/2), 125 Charges (+3/4); OIF Bulky (-1), Limited Arc Of Fire (60 degrees; -1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4), Beam (-1/4)

65 Type 3-A Laser: Killing Attack - Ranged 4d6, Autofire (3 shots; +1/4), No Range Modifier (+1/2), Increased Maximum Range (20,625"; +1/2), 250 Charges (+1); OIF Bulky (-1), Limited Arc Of Fire (60 degrees; -1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4), Beam (-1/4)

69 Type 4 Laser: Killing Attack - Ranged 5d6, No Range Modifier (+1/2), Increased Maximum Range (21,125"; +1/2), 125 Charges (+3/4); OIF Bulky (-1), Limited Arc Of Fire (60 degrees; -1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4), Beam (-1/4)

81 Type 4-A Laser: Killing Attack - Ranged 5d6, Autofire (3 shots; +1/4), No Range Modifier (+1/2), Increased Maximum Range (25,750"; +1/2), 250 Charges (+1) (244 Active Points); OIF Bulky (-1), Limited Arc Of Fire (60 degrees; -1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4), Beam (-1/4)

82 Type 5 Laser: Killing Attack - Ranged 6d6, No Range Modifier (+1/2), Increased Maximum Range (25,250"; +1/2), 125 Charges (+3/4); OIF Bulky (-1), Limited Arc Of Fire (60 degrees; -1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4), Beam (-1/4)

97 Type 5-A Laser: Killing Attack - Ranged 6d6, Autofire (3 shots; +1/4), No Range Modifier (+1/2), Increased Maximum Range (30,875"; +1/2), 250 Charges (+1) (292 Active Points); OIF Bulky (-1), Limited Arc Of Fire (60 degrees; -1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4), Beam (-1/4)

112 T5 Laser (Destroyer): Multipower, 112-point reserve, all slots No Range Modifier (+1/2), Increased Maximum Range (35,000"; +1/2), 250 Charges (+1); all slots OIF Bulky (-1), Limited Arc Of Fire (-1/2), Beam (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4)

3u 1) Short-Range Type 5 Laser: Killing Attack - Ranged 6d6; OIF Bulky (-1), Limited Arc Of Fire (-1/2), Beam (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4)

4u 2) Long-Range Type 5 Laser: Killing Attack - Ranged 6d6, MegaRange (1" = 1 km; +1/4); OIF Bulky (-1), Limited Arc Of Fire (-1/2), Beam (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4)

121 T5-A Laser (Command Carrier, Carrier & Battleship): Multipower, 112-point reserve, all slots Autofire (3 shots; +1/4), No Range Modifier (+1/2), Increased Maximum Range (38,500"; +1/2), 250 Charges (+1) (364 Active Points); all slots OIF Bulky (-1), Limited Arc Of Fire (-1/2), Beam (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4)

3u 1) Short-Range Type 5-A Laser: Killing Attack - Ranged 6d6; OIF Bulky (-1), Limited Arc Of Fire (-1/2), Beam (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4)

4u 2) Long-Range Type 5-A Laser: Killing Attack - Ranged 6d6, MegaRange (1" = 1 km; +1/4); OIF Bulky (-1), Limited Arc Of Fire (-1/2), Beam (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4)

Missile Weapon Systems

Missiles are standard on all ships Classes I-VII. Class I-IV vessels contain long-range versions of these weapons allowing them to fire several thousand kilometers.

50 M1 Thunderhawk Missile: Killing Attack - Ranged 5d6, No Range Modifier (+1/2), Increased Maximum Range (18,750"; +1/2), Armor Piercing (+1/2); OIF Bulky (-1), 6 Charges (-3/4), Beam (-1/4), Limited Arc Of Fire (180 degrees; -1/4); Extra Time (1 Segment to reach target, -1/2)

60 M2 Thunderhawk Missile: Killing Attack - Ranged 6d6, No Range Modifier (+1/2), Increased Maximum Range (22,500"; +1/2), Armor Piercing (+1/2); OIF Bulky (-1), 6 Charges (-3/4), Beam (-1/4), Limited Arc Of Fire (180 degrees; -1/4); Extra Time (1 Segment to reach target, -1/2)

75 M3 Thunderhawk Missile: Killing Attack - Ranged 7d6, No Range Modifier (+1/2), Increased Maximum Range (26,250"; +1/2), Armor Piercing (+1/2); OIF Bulky (-1), 8 Charges (-1/2), Beam (-1/4), Limited Arc Of Fire (180 degrees; -1/4); Extra Time (1 Segment to reach target, -1/2)

86 M4 Thunderhawk Missile: Killing Attack - Ranged 8d6, No Range Modifier (+1/2), Increased Maximum Range (30,000"; +1/2), Armor Piercing (+1/2); OIF Bulky (-1), 8 Charges (-1/2), Beam (-1/4), Limited Arc Of Fire (180 degrees; -1/4); Extra Time (1 Segment to reach target, -1/2)

Final Chain Of Command

Here is the corrected Chain Of Command:

Grand Admiral: This person is the leader of Strategic Command and answers solely to the Galactic Council.

Vice Admiral: These 5 individuals make up the War Council of Strategic Command.

Flag Admiral: These 6 individuals command Command Carriers. 5 of them operate as military governors of each of the 5 Sectors. The 6th Command Carrier is stationed at Earth and is in charge of the Earth Defense Forces.

Star Admiral: These indiviuals command Starbases and Carriers. There are currently 25 Starbases and 17 Carriers.

Commodore: These individuals command Starports and Battleships. There are currently 113 Starports and several hundred Battleships in Strategic Command.

Star Captain: These individuals command Destroyers and Cruisers.

Captains: These individuals command Frigates, Couriers, and Science Vessels.

Lieutenant Commander: These indivuduals command Tender Ships, Supply Ships, and Fighters.

Lieutenant: These individuals command Fighters and work in systems.

Ensign: These invididuals work in systems.

Enlisted: These individuals make up the bulk of the Corp and cover every other gambit of operation.

It all looks great!

Just one comment (right now, anyway) about the Extra Time that you added to the photon tor...err... missiles. ;) You might want to modify it to say it takes 1 Segment per every 10,000 inches (or whatever) that it travels. Right now, all of your missiles hit thier targets at the exact same time, regardless of the distance or power level of the missile. The writeups would remain the same (except for perhaps a note) because the next level on the Time Chart is Turn, and if done right, the missiles will never take more than a Turn to hit their target, therefore you cannot take that level of a Limitation.

So for example... if Missiles travel 10,000" per segment...

M1 will reach maximum distance in 2 Segments

M2 will reach maximum distance in 3 Segments

M3 will reach maximum distance in 3 Segments

M4 will reach maximum distance in 3 Segments

You could modify the inches per segment to get even more varying results. I think something like this is important because I think having all of them hit their targets in one Segment regardless of distance is not as dramatic.

Imagine being in a vessel that is 29,000" inches from a target who fires an M4 missile. You have 3 Segments to move 1,000" away from the enemy who fired upon you to be beyond the range of the missile. Can your ship travel 1,000" in 3 Segments? That makes for good drama as opposed to knowing you're going to be smacked with the missile next Segment regardless of how far away you were when it was fired.

Again, just an idea.

And you may also change the inches per Segment ratio for the more advanced missiles if they have better propulsion systems. Lots of fun!

Just one comment (right now' date=' anyway) about the Extra Time that you added to the photon tor...err... missiles. You might want to modify it to say it takes 1 Segment per every 10,000 inches (or whatever) that it travels. Right now, all of your missiles hit thier targets at the exact same time, regardless of the distance or power level of the missile. The writeups would remain the same (except for perhaps a note) because the next level on the Time Chart is Turn, and if done right, the missiles will never take more than a Turn to hit their target, therefore you cannot take that level of a Limitation.[/quote']

I like that and will make that change. Thanks!!!

Also keep in mind that the CO of a hospital ship is likely to be a doctor' date=' the CO of a tender is most likely an engineer etc.[/quote']

No, I plan on always having a SC officer in charge of the vessels. While a doctor or engineer would have considerable sway over what needs to be done with the ship the commander will always have the final say so.

I just finished Life Systems [life support], Sensor Arrays, and Communications Systems. I will be posting those later today. Now I'm just doing final computations for power plants, writing stealth systems, some defensive systems, tractor beams, and trying to decide if I need inertia dampeners and gravity systems. Thanks for all the ideas so far.

Yes, I have more. :)

Terran Empire uses Point Defense Systems (Missile Deflection) to shoot down incoming missiles. You might want to consider including some of them on your larger vessels.

At first glance in may appear that this would give an unfair advantage, but if you use velocity based DCV (FREd 237, 5ER 364), it still makes them difficult to shoot down.

For example... using your current writeup of the M4, it can travel 30,000" in one Segment, making its velocity per Turn a whopping 360,000". This results in a DCV of 29!!! Yowza! The M1 has a Turn velocity of 225,000", resulting in a DCV of 27. Still really tough to hit.

If you were to increase the Extra Time to 3 Segments, this decreases the DCV dramatically. If the M4 takes 3 Segments to reach 30,000" then the velocity based DCV would be 25. If the M1 also takes 3 Segments to reach its max distance then its DCV would be only 21.

Again, just some ideas. :)

Ok, here are some of the other systems for comment:

Life Systems:

Life support is broken down into 4 components. All vessels have secondary Life Support systems except for Class VII which uses an cockpit escape pod. Solar Shields are generated by polarizing the outer hull but an increased power cost.

11 1) Primary Life Support: Life Support (Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing); Costs Endurance (-1/2)

8 2) Secondary Life Support: Life Support (Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing), 1 Continuing Fuel Charge lasting 1 Month (+0); OIF Bulky (-1)

1 3) Solar Shields: Life Support (Safe in Intense Heat); Increased Endurance Cost (x5 END; -2), Costs Endurance (-1/2)

1 4) Food & Water Supplies: Life Support (Eating: Character does not eat), 1 Continuing Fuel Charge lasting 6 Months (+0); OIF Bulky (-1)

Sensor Arrays

Series A Sensor Arrays are used on Class I-VI & IX vessels. Series B Sensor Arrays are used on Class VIII & X-XIII vessels. Series C Sensor Arrays are used on Class VII vessels.

66 Series A Sensor Array: Multipower, 166-point reserve; all slots OIF Bulky (-1), Costs Endurance (-1/2)

6u 1) Long-Range Sensors: Radar (Radio Group), Discriminatory, Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Tracking, MegaScale (1" = 1 lightyear; +3 1/2), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 1km (+1/4); OIF Bulky (-1), Costs Endurance (-1/2)

7u 2) Planetary Sensors: Detect Objects 11- (Unusual Group), Discriminatory, Analyze, Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Range, Sense, Targeting, Tracking, Transmit, Variable Special Effects (Any SFX; +1/2), MegaScale (1" = 100,000 km; +1 1/2), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 1km (+1/4); OIF Bulky (-1), Costs Endurance (-1/2)

2u 3) Tactical Sensors: Radar (Radio Group), Discriminatory, Analyze, Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Telescopic (+30 versus Range Modifier), Tracking; OIF Bulky (-1), Costs Endurance (-1/2)

57 Series B Sensor Array: Multipower, 142-point reserve; all slots OIF Bulky (-1), Costs Endurance (-1/2)

6u 1) Long-Range Sensors: Radar (Radio Group), Discriminatory, Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Tracking, MegaScale (1" = 1 lightyear; +3 1/2), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 1km (+1/4); OIF Bulky (-1), Costs Endurance (-1/2)

2u 2) Tactical Sensors: Radar (Radio Group), Discriminatory, Analyze, Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Telescopic (+30 versus Range Modifier), Tracking; OIF Bulky (-1), Costs Endurance (-1/2)

22 Series C Sensor Array: Radar (Radio Group), Discriminatory, Analyze, Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Telescopic (+40 versus Range Modifier), Tracking; OIF Bulky (-1), Costs Endurance (-1/2)

Communications Systems

Communications is handled with either a Standard Com System which broadcasts radiowaves at the speed of light or with a Wormhole Com System which generates a small wormhole which allows for instantaneous communication over virtually unlimited distances.

5 1) Standard Com System: Radio Perception/Transmission (Radio Group), Concealed (-5 with Radio Perception/Transmission PER Rolls); OIF Bulky (-1), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Sense Affected As More Than One Sense Hearing and Radio Sense Group (-1/4)

4 2) Wormhole Com System: Mind Link , Strategic Command, Any distance, No LOS Needed; Increased Endurance Cost (x5 END; -2), Only With Others Who Have Mind Link (-1), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Sense Affected As More Than One Sense Hearing, Radio, & Wormhole Group (-1/2), Does Not Provide Mental Awareness (-1/4); Requires A Radio Operatior Skill Roll (-1/2)

Other Systems

Right now this is just a conglomerate of various things I have yet to put anywhere else.

28 1) Radio Jammer: Change Environment 1" radius, -6 to Radio Group PER Rolls, Long-Lasting 1 Hour, MegaScale (1" = 1 km; +1/4), Increased Maximum Range (41,875"; +3/4), Usable As Attack (+1); OIF Bulky (-1), Extra Time (Extra Segment per 10,000", -1/2), Limited Arc Of Fire (180 degrees; -1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4), 12 Charges (-1/4)

12 2) Missile Defense System: Missile Deflection (Missiles), 15 Charges (+0), Full Range (+1); OIF Bulky (-1), Crew-Served (2 people; -1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4)

16 3) Toe-Line: Stretching 10", Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4); OAF Toe-Line Bulky (-1 1/2), Cannot Do Damage (-1/2), Always Direct (-1/4), Toe-Cable Only (-1/4), no Noncombat Stretching (-1/4)

27 4) Radio Jammer Countermeasures: Dispel Radio Jammer 25d6; OIF Bulky (-1), 6 Boostable Charges (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4)

Tractor Systems

These systems are high endurance systems which are only used on Command Carriers, Carriers, Battleships, Starbases, and Starports. They were invented by the Thordians who specialize in telekinetic technologies.

20 1) Thordian Un'da Tractor: Telekinesis (50 STR); OIF Bulky (-1), Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Only to Activate, -3/4), Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2), Affects Whole Object (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4)

30 2) Thordian Par'da Tractor: Telekinesis (75 STR); OIF Bulky (-1), Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Only to Activate, -3/4), Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2), Affects Whole Object (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4)

40 3) Thordian Ch'da Tractor: Telekinesis (100 STR); OIF Bulky (-1), Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Only to Activate, -3/4), Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2), Affects Whole Object (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4)

Ok,here is the first draft of the C7-A Space Viper fighter craft and the Cockpit Escape Pod.

C7-A Space Viper

4 SIZE 20

30 STR 0

18 DEX 24

20 BODY 6

10 DEF 24

3 SPD 2

Characteristics Cost: 76

Power

34 Sol System 2 Reactor: Endurance Reserve (90 END, 60 REC); OIF Bulky (-1)

89 Class D Fusion Drive (1,450 kph/11,250 kph): Flight 50", x16 Noncombat; Costs Endurance (-1/2) (Real Cost: 77) plus Up To x125 NCM (15 Active Points); Only In Vacuum (-1/4)

55 Dorsal Type 3 Laser: Killing Attack - Ranged 4d6, No Range Modifier (+1/2), Increased Maximum Range (16,875"; +1/2), 125 Charges (+3/4); OIF Bulky (-1), Limited Arc Of Fire (60 degrees; -1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4), Beam (-1/4)

60 Port Wing M2 Thunderhawk Missile: Killing Attack - Ranged 6d6, No Range Modifier (+1/2), Increased Maximum Range (22,500"; +1/2), Armor Piercing (+1/2); OIF Bulky (-1), 6 Charges (-3/4), Extra Time (Extra Segment, To reach target; -1/2), Beam (-1/4), Limited Arc Of Fire (180 degrees; -1/4)

5 Starboard Wing M2 Thunderhawk Missiles: 1 Additional M2 Thunderhawk Missiles

11 Primary Life Support: Life Support (Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing); Costs Endurance (-1/2)

22 Series C Sensor Array: Radar (Radio Group), Discriminatory, Analyze, Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Telescopic (+40 versus Range Modifier), Tracking; OIF Bulky (-1), Costs Endurance (-1/2)

5 Standard Com System: Radio Perception/Transmission (Radio Group), Concealed (-5 with Radio Perception/Transmission PER Rolls); OIF Bulky (-1), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Sense Affected As More Than One Sense Hearing and Radio Sense Group (-1/4)

16 Tow-Line: Stretching 10", Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4); OAF Toe-Line Bulky (-1 1/2), Cannot Do Damage (-1/2), Always Direct (-1/4), Toe-Cable Only (-1/4), no Noncombat Stretching (-1/4)

28 Cockpit Escape Pod

-12 Flight Vessel: -6" Running

-2 Flight Vessel: -2" Swimming

Powers Cost: 311

Skill/Talents

20 Combat Computer: +4 with Ranged Combat

16 Maneuverable: +8 with Flight

2 Navigation Computer: AK: Stationed Sector 11-

4 Navigation Computer: +2 with Navigation

3 Onboard Computer: Absolute Range Sense

3 Onboard Computer: Absolute Time Sense

3 Onboard Computer: Bump Of Direction

5 Onboard Computer: Eidetic Memory

Skills/Talents Cost: 56

Total Character Cost: 443

Disadvantage

15 Distinctive Features: Strategic Council Vessel (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

10 Physical Limitation: Uses 10 End to charge Weapon's System when they are activated (Frequently, Slightly Impairing)

Disadvantage Points: 25

Cost Of Vehicle: 418

Cockpit Escape Pod

1 SIZE 5

15 STR 0

10 DEX 0

11 BODY 0

6 DEF 12

1 SPD -10

Characteristics Cost: 7

Power:

5 Emergency Battery: Endurance Reserve (10 END, 10 REC); OIF Bulky (-1); REC: , 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Week (+0) (10 Active Points); OIF Bulky (-1)

11 Thrusters: Flight 10", 1 Continuing Fuel Charge lasting 1 Day (+0); Limited Maneuverability Only 1 turn per Turn at Combat speed; only 1 turn per Minute at Noncombat speed (-3/4)

5 Standard Com System: Radio Perception/Transmission (Radio Group), Concealed (-5 with Radio Perception/Transmission PER Rolls); OIF Bulky (-1), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Sense Affected As More Than One Sense Hearing and Radio Sense Group (-1/4)

4 Distress Signal: Radio Perception/Transmission (Radio Group), 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Month (+0); Transmission Only (-1), Always On (-1/2)

8 Secondary Life Support: Life Support (Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing), 1 Continuing Fuel Charge lasting 1 Week (+0); OIF Bulky (-1)

-12 Flight Vessel: -6" Running

-2 Flight Vessel: -2" Swimming

Powers Cost: 41

Total Character Cost: 48

Disadvantage

20 Distinctive Features: Cockpit Escape Pod (Not Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

Disadvantage Points: 20

Cost Of Vehicle: 28

No' date=' I plan on always having a SC officer in charge of the vessels. While a doctor or engineer would have considerable sway over what needs to be done with the ship the commander will always have the final say so.[/quote']

If the career military guys have more say than the doctors and engineers in day-to-day ops, then it would stand to reason that they would have more say in the ship design, also. Your hospitals and tenders should be more heavily armed and armored than real world analogues would suggest.

Also, you could expect maverick officers looking for a faster promotion to take their hospital ships and tenders into heavier action than prudence would dictate, at least occasionally. If PCs will be commanding these ships, they should see this from both sides:

Young PC commanding a tender: "Negative copy, Command, last transmission garbled. This is the Hephaestus beginning attack run. Out."

Game-years later, PC in command of a fleet: "Why the HELL are my support ships this close to the action? Get me the commander of the Mary Walker on the radio NOW!"

No' date=' I plan on always having a SC officer in charge of the vessels. While a doctor or engineer would have considerable sway over what needs to be done with the ship the commander will always have the final say so.[/quote']

Well certainly...but there is nothing to say that a doctor couldn't achieve the rank to captain such a vessel. Any captain has to have the skills to do the job.

Also keep in mind that the CO of a hospital ship is likely to be a doctor' date=' the CO of a tender is most likely an engineer etc.[/quote']

I think I would disagree here. Being a doctor does NOT give you the skills necessary to command a ship. It is a bit different from being a hospital administrator.

On a hospital ship, you would have a Chief Medical Officer, AND a Captain of the ship. The Captain would be a line officer. Besides, unless the guy is a lousy doctor, you really don't want to take him away from patients.

As for the Captain of a tender being an Engineer, he may have been or served as one at an earlier time in his career. But the Captain is the Captain.

[On nuclear submarines, one must serve as Engineer, or at the very least go through Nuclear Engineering Officer school. At least that is how it used to be.]

Young PC commanding a tender: "Negative copy, Command, last transmission garbled. This is the Hephaestus beginning attack run. Out."

Game-years later, PC in command of a fleet: "Why the HELL are my support ships this close to the action? Get me the commander of the Mary Walker on the radio NOW!"

Actually you will find that Captains that take their tenders on attack runs, don't live long enough to be promoted to command any other vessel.

Also, generally speaking, your support ships will NEVER be close to the action. They hang out mostly in safe ports. They can deploy to sea (space), but this is generally to move the ship from one port to another, or for training. If you have a battle going on, your support ships will be miles away from it. (With the obvious exception of say, a Pearl Harbor type of attack, where your safe ports and bases are attacked.)

Well certainly...but there is nothing to say that a doctor couldn't achieve the rank to captain such a vessel. Any captain has to have the skills to do the job.
There is nothing that says a doctor cannot be a captain, but this would be extremely rare, or he would probably be considered not a good doctor.

It takes years to learn medicine, and it also takes years to learn to Captain a vessel, learn all the myriad details and systems, as well as how to lead and train men. Time is one of those limited resources, you can put that time to learning to be a good doctor, or a good Captain, but not both. To be good at one, you are going to have to sacrifice the other.

My first Captain used to say that his job was not to get the men to do what he wanted. It was to get them to WANT to do what he wanted.

Re: Final Chain Of Command

Here is the corrected Chain Of Command:

Lieutenant Commander: These indivuduals command Tender Ships, Supply Ships, and Fighters.

Lieutenant: These individuals command Fighters and work in systems.

Ensign: These invididuals work in systems.

This looks good, but I would still recommend some minor adjustments at the lower ranks.

In real world wet navies, Ensigns, and Lieutenants would serves as division heads, or Department Assistants. (Main Propulsion Assistant, Reactor Officer, Sonar Officer, Assistant Weapons Officer Torpedoe, etc.)

Lieutenant Commanders and Commanders would be Department Heads. And there are several departments on a modern naval vessel. These include:

Engineering: These guys are responsible for the propulsion plant and really the entire vessel and any equipment not covered by any other department. The hull, life support equipment, the power plant, electrical generation and distribution equipment, the jump/warp/hyper drive system, interior communications system, the toilets, any hull fittings, the hydraulics and steering equipment, heating, air conditioning and refrigeration plants, etc. They will be divided into divisions based on the equipment and skill sets required to operate and maintain that equipment. (Electronics technicians for the power plant monitoring and control equipment, Electrician's mates the electrical generators and switch gear, machinists for the mechanical stuff. On subs, you have two groups of machinists, those who deal with the propulsion plant, and those who deal with everything else.)

[Actually this is not quite right. On subs, there is a bulkhead between the engineering spaces, where the reactor and propulsion plants are, and the forward area. Sometimes the diesel will be in the front, and sometimes it will be back aft. If it is back aft, the propulsion mechanics take care of it. If forward, A-gang, or the Auxiliarymen will handle it.]

Weapons: What they handle and take care of, is pretty self explainitory. Each different weapons system will usually have their own overall officer in charge. (Missiles, torpedos, guns) Also Fire Control systems, the computers and communication systems between the weapon and the ship, will be a division under the Weaps and have its own Assistant Weapons Officer (A-Weaps) in charge.

Deck: These guys handle things like cranes, mooring lines and associated docking equipment. If you have smaller craft such as assault craft, (but not like fighters or the such) the Boat Group Commander is an assistant to the Deck officer. The head of the Deck Department is called the "First Lieutenant"

regardless of rank.

[some boats will have EITHER a Weapons Officer/Department OR a Deck Officer. Tenders, transports, supply and medical ships or ships with few or no weapons systems, will have a deck department, and any guns or weapons they do have, the Gunnery Officer will be an assistant to the First Lieutenant. On subs, where our deck equipment is minimal, the First Lieutenant is junior to the Weapons officer.]

Navigation Department: Usually the smallest department, its function is pretty self evident. Quartermaster Division is responsible for keeping accurate logs of position and events aboard ship, figuring out where we are, and how to get to where we want to go, when we will arrive, and what time is it now. Usually they will have a Navigation Electronics division to maintain and operate the specialized equipment for their job. (Nav ETs will handle navigation computers, Sat Nav, GPS, and any inertial navigation systems)

[We hated these guys (well, maybe hate is a strong term, jealous maybe). They had the lightest work loads, were the guys who were the first off the boat when it pulled into port, and the last back after liberty. Engineering had to, after the boat was tied up, bring shore power aboard, shut down the engines and reactor, and only THEN could we go out. And before the rest of the crew came aboard, we had to be there and get the whole thing up and running. We were last off and first back.]

Operations: Operations handles things like Radar, tactical and intelligence equipment, communications equipment, and generally anything that does not belong to the Weapons Department, yet necessary for "fighting the ship" Electronic Warfare is usually under this department as well.

Supply/Admin: The "Chop" was NOT a line officer. He kept the books, ran the mess decks, made sure we had the supplies and spare parts we needed, all our paperwork (especially pay records) was in order. On smaller vessels like subs, he also was nominally in charge of the Medical division, which amounted to one guy, the Corpsman. (On subs. The size of your medical department would reflect on crew size and length of time out. Our Corpsman was a Chief Petty officer, or higher enlisted, rather than a full blown Doctor or officer. Of course, if you are talking a hospital ship, obviously the medical Department would be much bigger and separate from Supply)

On ships like Carriers, you will have an Air Department, ruled by an "Air Boss" He is responsible for the flight deck, hanger decks, refueling aircraft (and its associated equipment with aid from Engineering) arresting gear and catapults. He is responsible for the handling of the aircraft while they are aboard, and while they are landing or taking off. This is separate from taking care of the planes themselves. The pilots and maintenance crews of the Air Wing would handle all other aspects related to the craft.

On your Science vessels, you may want to establish a Science Department, or even have it replace Operations.

If you want to look at a ship organically, you can think of Operations like the central nervous system and eyes, ears and nose, (With the Captain as the brain, although good captains allow their crew to think as well.) Weapons and/or Deck as the hands and Engineering as the legs, as well as the stomach, heart and lungs of the ship. (A-gang handles the lower bowels). Navigation I guess would be the inner ear. :) Supply keeps us all fed and paid.

Your command advancement as an officer, is that you will serve first as division head (or possibly start as an assistant to a division head on larger ships), then a department head, then XO, and then Commanding Officer of a ship.

Usually, officers will stick with one kind of ship their entire carreers. (Submarine officers will serve on subs, surface vessel officers won't go underwater, destroyer captains will move up to battleships, Air Wing, or flight officers may move into command of an Aircraft Carrier. Supply and medical officers will never command a vessel, as their skills are better utilized elsewhere. Engineers, Operations Officers, Navigators, First Lieutenants and Weapons Officers are in the line of command. Hence the term "Line" officers.)

Anyway, hope you found this helpful, if long winded.

I do plan on having department heads. I didn't mean to imply that officers would only be in command roles. What I'm currently thinking about is 4 divisions: Command, Security, Engineering, and Sciences. Within that structure there will be several officers covering various duties.

The Command division will cover ship command, Navigation, Operations, and administration. This is the division which leads toward ship command trough advancement. The Security division will cover security, tactical/Weapons, judicial, penal, and marines. This is the division which leads toward more Starbase/Starport/Planetary positions. The Engineering division will cover engines, maintenance, supply, and deck. The Sciences division will cover medical and various scientific endeavors.

For example a C4 Destroyer might have the following breakdown as far as who is in charge of the vessel:

1 Star Captain who is overall in charge of the ship.

2 Command Captain who is second in charge of the ship.

3 Security Captain who is in charge of Security Division and third in charge of the ship.

4 Command Commander - Operations who is head of Operations sub-division of Command Division.

5 Security Commander -Tactical who is head of Tactical sub-division of Security Division.

6 Command Commander - Navigation who is head of Navigation sub-division of Command Division.

7 Security Commander - Marines who is head of Marines sub-division of Security Division.

8 Engineering Commander who is in charge of the Engineering Division of the ship.

9 Command Lt. Commander - Operations who is under the Operations Commander.

10 Security Lt. Commander - Tactical who is under the Tactical Commander.

As far as the alien species I am currently looking at the Galactic Council as having 29 Full Members who enjoy voting privileges, 18 Probationary Members who have applied for Full Membership [they are allowed a voice in the GC but are not allowed to vote for 3 Earth years], and 6 Observer Members who are trying to decide if they want to be part of the GC and are just learning more.

I plan on one of these races [Mu'Jar] as being Jedi-like, meaning they have some unusual abilities [probably psionic] and fighting techniques wrapped within a degree of pacifism. I don't want this to be a class open to everyone. That way you get a degree of uniqueness to the idea.

The current President of the GC is Human [they have all been Human so far, but in the last election a Wy'lan'wa was nearly elected] and serves for 8 years. The President is really more like a Speaker of the House and his position is more about administration and overseeing the Council than anything else.

Known space [that which has been well charted] encompasses only about 50 light years. Understood space [that which is still being charted] reaches to about 250 light years. All full members of the GC are from within the 250 light year barrier. Frontier space [that which is still being heavily explored] stretches to about 500 light years. Most of the Probationary Members of the GC come from this area. Dragon space [named for "here there be dragons" is everything beyond 500 light years] is mostly unknown and unexplored.

There are currently 5 aggressor species which have their own "empires" within 1,000 light years of Earth. The GC has been trying to establish buffer zones between those species but it has yet proved to be nearly impossible.