New Campaign could use some feedback

MitchellS

Re: New Campaign could use some feedback

I'm thinking out load here, so keep that in mind.

The cost of, for instance, Life Support for a fighter is the same as Life Support for a ship of the wall.

I find that...strange.

I don't have TUV so not quite sure how this is handled, but does Life Support require any kind of UBO etc? In my mind I just expected to see some kind of size/radius inclusion in the LS (which would make it more expensive for larger ships).

Like I said, just thinking out loud.

I found it add as well, but there is not cost difference. What I'm assuming, and planning, is that there will be a size difference. The amount of area LS Systems take for a Command Carrier will be very different than the amount of area taken for a Fighter. I'm currently working out a system where various things will be multiplied by the SIZE number of the vehicle to get the hexes needed.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found it add as well' date=' but there is not cost difference. What I'm assuming, and planning, is that there will be a size difference. The amount of area LS Systems take for a Command Carrier will be very different than the amount of area taken for a Fighter. I'm currently working out a system where various things will be multiplied by the SIZE number of the vehicle to get the hexes needed.[/quote']

Have you considered using a partial ecosystem for part of your life support system? Used this for one of my space games; all long range ships from Free Luna had every available nook and corner filled with plants and vines, helping to keep the air fresh, providing some foods, and providing limited noise damping. They still had to take on air, water and food when they hit stations, but it saved some money and was considered an affordable form of morale builder.

At the least, it makes a nice change from Star-Fleet white or Space Gym Locker. ;)

Have you considered using a partial ecosystem for part of your life support system? Used this for one of my space games; all long range ships from Free Luna had every available nook and corner filled with plants and vines, helping to keep the air fresh, providing some foods, and providing limited noise damping. They still had to take on air, water and food when they hit stations, but it saved some money and was considered an affordable form of morale builder.

At the least, it makes a nice change from Star-Fleet white or Space Gym Locker. ;)

I hadn't considered it for and SC ships but I have considered it for Starbases and Starports. I also plan on having the Ryseen Cheenma being an aggressive plant-based species that uses living ships. They will have spies inside of Starbases/ports that are merged with the plants there. Cruisers and Science Vessels will probably have some botany labs as well.

I hadn't considered it for and SC ships but I have considered it for Starbases and Starports. I also plan on having the Ryseen Cheenma being an aggressive plant-based species that uses living ships. They will have spies inside of Starbases/ports that are merged with the plants there. Cruisers and Science Vessels will probably have some botany labs as well.

Great thread by the way. :)

Here is a basic idea of the various vehicle sizes by Class:

Class I: SIZE 25, 4 levels @ 130" x 100" for a total of 52,000" of area.

Class II: SIZE 24, 4 levels @ 100" x 80" for a total of 32,000" of area.

Class III: SIZE 15, 2 levels @ 25" x 10" for a total of 500" of area.

Class IV: SIZE 14, 3 levels @ 12" x 9" for a total of 324" of area.

Class V-A: SIZE 16, 4 levels @ 20" x 10" for a total of 800" of area.

Class V-B: SIZE 13, 3 levels @ 10" x 7" for a total of 210" of area.

Class VI-A: SIZE 12, 3 levels @ 8" x 5" for a total of 120" of area.

Class VI-B: SIZE 12, 3 levels @ 8" x 5" for a total of 120" of area.

Class VI-C: SIZE 13, 3 levels @ 10" x 7" for a total of 210" of area.

Class VII-A: SIZE 4, 1 levels @ 2.5" x 1.25" for a total of 3.125" of area.

Class VII-B: SIZE 5, 1 levels @ 3.19" x 1.59" for a total of 5" of area.

Class VII-C: SIZE 6, 1 levels @ 4" x 2" for a total of 8" of area.

Class VIII-A: SIZE 15, 5 levels @ 16" x 6" for a total of 480" of area.

Class VIII-B: SIZE 17, 8 levels @ 14" x 11 for a total of 1,232" of area.

Class VIII-C: SIZE 20, 2 levels @ 80" x 32 for a total of 5,120" of area.

Class VIII-D: SIZE 9, 1 levels @ 16" x 2" for a total of 32" of area.

Class IX-A: SIZE 17, 5 levels @ 24" x 11" for a total of 1,320" of area.

Class IX-B: SIZE 17, 5 levels @ 24" x 11" for a total of 1,320" of area.

Class X: SIZE 18, 8 levels @ 23" x 11" for a total of 2,024" of area.

Class XI: SIZE 16, 3 levels @ 21" x 13" for a total of 819" of area.

Class XII-A: SIZE 10, 1 levels @ 6" x 8" for a total of 48" of area.

Class XII-B: SIZE 16, 4 levels @ 20" x 10" for a total of 800" of area.

Class XIII-A: SIZE 6, 1 levels @ 4" x 2" for a total of 8" of area.

Class XIII-B: SIZE 7, 1 levels @ 5" x 2.5" for a total of 12.5" of area.

I found it add as well' date=' but there is not cost difference. What I'm assuming, and planning, is that there will be a size difference. The amount of area LS Systems take for a Command Carrier will be very different than the amount of area taken for a Fighter. I'm currently working out a system where various things will be multiplied by the SIZE number of the vehicle to get the hexes needed.[/quote']

I considered something like that for my B5 work, but then dicided not to worry about it. Personally, it adds too much granularity to the game/ship. In the end if I need a 'life support crisis' to happen, then it will. Go too far down the road of active/real points to space requirements gets really hard. On the other hand, since yours is the only hand in the pot, its not as bad.

For things like Life Support, remember is not size but volume you need to keep track of.

Aroooo

I considered something like that for my B5 work, but then dicided not to worry about it. Personally, it adds too much granularity to the game/ship. In the end if I need a 'life support crisis' to happen, then it will. Go too far down the road of active/real points to space requirements gets really hard. On the other hand, since yours is the only hand in the pot, its not as bad.

For things like Life Support, remember is not size but volume you need to keep track of.

Aroooo

I thought about the granularity as well but decided I wanted to create a logical system for ship design. I don't like the fact that the standard rule for vehicles is that the interior is 50% of the exterior. I like to know where all the space is going. I'm just strange that way. :)

GCC C8D-8341 Luna Wind

Class VIII-D Spider

10 SIZE 50

70 STR 10

15 DEX 0

20 BODY 0

12 DEF 30

3 SPD 10

Characteristics Cost: 100

Power

46 Sol System 3 Reactor: Endurance Reserve (120 END, 80 REC); OIF Bulky (-1)

22 Emergency Power System: Endurance Reserve (200 END, 25 REC); OIF Bulky (-1)

75 Class C Fusion Drive (1,150 kph/9,200 kph): Flight 40", x16 Noncombat; Costs Endurance (-1/2) plus Up To x125 NCM; Only In Vacuum (-1/4) (Real Cost: 12)

19 Series VI Light Drive (500 LY/Week): Flight 10", MegaScale (1" = 1 trillion km; +3 1/4), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 10,000km (+1/4); Extra Time (20 Minutes, -2 1/2), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Requires A Stellar Navigation Skill Roll (-1/2), Not In Atmosphere (-1/4)

55 Forward Type 3 Laser: Killing Attack - Ranged 4d6, No Range Modifier (+1/2), Increased Maximum Range (16,875"; +1/2), 125 Charges (+3/4); OIF Bulky (-1), Limited Arc Of Fire (60 degrees; -1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4), Beam (-1/4)

50 M1 Thunderhawk Missile: Killing Attack - Ranged 5d6, No Range Modifier (+1/2), Increased Maximum Range (18,750"; +1/2), Armor Piercing (+1/2); OIF Bulky (-1), 6 Charges (-3/4), Extra Time (Extra Segment, To reach target; -1/2), Beam (-1/4), Limited Arc Of Fire (180 degrees; -1/4)

57 Series B Sensor Array: Multipower, 142-point reserve; all slots OIF Bulky (-1), Costs Endurance (-1/2)

6u 1) Long-Range Sensors: Radar (Radio Group), Discriminatory, Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Tracking, MegaScale (1" = 1 lightyear; +3 1/2), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 1km (+1/4); OIF Bulky (-1), Costs Endurance (-1/2)

2u 2) Tactical Sensors: Radar (Radio Group), Discriminatory, Analyze, Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Telescopic (+30 versus Range Modifier), Tracking; OIF Bulky (-1), Costs Endurance (-1/2)

20 Thordian Un'da Tractor: Telekinesis (50 STR); OIF Bulky (-1), Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Only to Activate, -3/4), Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2), Affects Whole Object (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4)

7 Lighter Loads: +5 DEX (15 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), +1 DEX per each 10 craft not carrying (15 DEX when empty) (-1/2)

9 Retracting And Folding Transport Arms: Extra Limbs (50); OIF Bulky (-1) plus Stretching 5"; OIF Bulky (-1), Cannot Do Damage (-1/2), Always Direct (-1/4), no Noncombat Stretching (-1/4), No Velocity Damage (-1/4), Transport Arms Only (-1/4)

11 Primary Life Support: Life Support (Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing); Costs Endurance (-1/2)

8 Secondary Life Support: Life Support (Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing), 1 Continuing Fuel Charge lasting 1 Month (+0); OIF Bulky (-1)

1 Food & Water Supplies: Life Support (Eating: Character does not eat), 1 Continuing Fuel Charge lasting 6 Months (+0); OIF Bulky (-1)

5 Standard Com System: Radio Perception/Transmission (Radio Group), Concealed (-5 with Radio Perception/Transmission PER Rolls); OIF Bulky (-1), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Sense Affected As More Than One Sense Hearing and Radio Sense Group (-1/4)

4 Wormhole Com System: Mind Link , Strategic Command, Any distance, No LOS Needed; Increased Endurance Cost (x5 END; -2), Only With Others Who Have Mind Link (-1), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Sense Affected As More Than One Sense Hearing, Radio, & Wormhole Group (-1/2), Requires A Radio Operations Skill Roll (-1/2), Does Not Provide Mental Awareness (-1/4)

15 Artificial Gravity: Telekinesis (20 STR), Selective (+1/2); OIF Bulky (-1), Only To Pull Objects Straight Down To The Floor (-1)

-12 Space Vehicle: -6" Running

-2 Space Vehicle: -2" Swimming

Powers Cost: 398

Skill/Talents

10 Targeting Computer: +2 with Ranged Combat

2 Navigation System: AK: Stationed Sector 11-

4 Navigation System: +2 with Navigation

3 Onboard Computer: Absolute Range Sense

3 Onboard Computer: Absolute Time Sense

3 Onboard Computer: Bump Of Direction

5 Onboard Computer: Eidetic Memory

Skills/Talents Cost: 30

Disadvantage

15 Distinctive Features: Strategic Council Vessel (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

10 Physical Limitation: Uses 10 End to charge Weapon's System when they are activated (Frequently, Slightly Impairing)

Disadvantage Points: 25

Vehicle Cost: 503

Description: The Luna Wind is a typical Class VIII-D Spider Transport designed to transport up to 50 Class VII fighters to a needed Starbase, Starport, Carrier, or even battle as quickly as possible. The Class has 50 folding arms which telescope out creating a spiderweb of 5 rows of 10 carried fighters encircling the entire length of the ship. The central section of the vessel has seating for 50 passenger and the cockpit contains a crew of 4. Most of the time the vessel carries nothing more than spare equipment in its passenger section. This Class is sleek and fast and, when not transporting fighters, surprisingly agile. The ship has one design flaw in that it contains no escape pods. There was not enough room available in the design. Because of this assignment to this Class of vessel is usually voluntary but does offer a chance for more rapid advancement for pilots.

Species Name: Ryseen Cheenma

SC Rating: S4-H2-T3-R

Space Sector: 4

Planetary Systems: 11 (known)

Inclusive Species: Ryseen, Yunga, Qwop

Allied Species: None

General Knowledge: The Ryseen Cheenma, Cheenma being a Ryseen word meaning "Empire," is an aggressive species from the planet Ry [HD 217107] 64.3 light years from Earth. The Ryseen fleet was first encountered in 2381 when it attacked and destroyed the GCC Seeker [C5-A] which entered Ryseen space during an exploratory mission after detecting Ryseen radio signals. The GCC Gyver [C4] was attacked days later while attempting a rescue mission of the escape pods. The Gyver took heavy damage but was able to retreat before being destroyed. Using the wormhole com system from the captured Seeker wreck, the Ryseen ordered Strategic Command to make no further encroachment upon their space. Since that time there have been over 40 separate "incidents" between Strategic Command and Ryseen vessels in what is now termed the Ryseen Border Territories.

Species Biology: The Ryseen are a plant-based life form which, on average, stand 1.4 meters tall and weigh 90 kilograms. A typical Ryseen's coloration consists of various hues of green and Ryseen have the innate chameleon ability to cloak themselves by blending into surrounding foliage of the appropriate size. This ability appears to have no effect on the Ryseen as they have no optic sensory systems. Instead Ryseen detect infrared heat patterns around themselves. This infrared system is so refined that the Ryseen can detect heat sources from over a kilometer away. Surprisingly Ryseen skin is very warm to the touch.

The Ryseen are hermaphrodites who are impregnated in a manner very similar to plant pollination. The pollinated spore is carried on the parental host for 11 solar days and then must be planted in a nitrogen-rich soil for an additional 53 solar days to grow. Newborn Ryseen are about half the size of their parent and usually have a two year learning period before they are prepared to enter into Ryseen society as full members. Nitrogen is not only a womb nutrient for the Ryseen. They also absorb nutrition in the form of nitrogen directly from the atmosphere and so only require water to maintain their life when in a nitrogen-rich environment. Off-world Ryseen will often be encountered wearing nitrogel packs on their bodies when living or operating in a non or low nitrogen environment.

All Ryseen possess a "vine garrote" which they use with great efficiency. The weapon is about 15 cm long and extends from the back of the hands. The vine garrote wraps itself around a victim's neck, or other vital body part, and then the Ryseen quickly pull their arm away causing a sawing motion which tears the flesh and severs major arteries and veins. There are even reported cases of victims being decapitated in this manner from a single attack.

Species Homeworld: Ry, the Ryseen homeworld, is a tropical Type 5 world with a corrosive nitrogen oxide atmosphere and an average temperature of 75 C. Ry is the second of 4 planets in the system. The third and forth planets are also colonized by the Ryseen. All technology on Ry appears to be either rock or plant based due to the atmosphere of the planet being too corrosive for most metallic alloys. It appears that at one time Ry was heavily industrialized but the planet is now only used as a green nursery for producing more Ryseen.

The Ryseen have currently colonized 11 other star systems within their "empire." Two of those systems had indigenous species. The Yunga are a amphibian race possessing level 2 technology but they appeared to offer no resistance to the invading Ryseen, perhaps due to the fact that the Yunga have little use for the land on their planet. The Qwop are a mammalian species who possess level 1 technology, and so could offer no resistance to the Ryseen when they invaded. The Qwop are used primarily as slave labor throughout the various colony worlds within the Ryseen Cheenma.

Ryseen appear to be able to live on Type 4-7 planet as long as it does not have a constant temperature below 0 C. Ryseen prefer worlds which they can terraform into tropical expanses to match Ry. Ryseen are particularly adept at inducing "green house effects" on any planet whose surface temperature they need to raise. This is how the Ryseen were able to colonize their third and forth planets of their star system, which are both substantially cooler than Ry.

Species Society: The Ryseen are ruled by a hereditary Rusyna, which is their term for Emperor/Empress. Beneath the Rusyna is a group called the Hushna, which is an executive body who deals with most day-to-day operations of the government as well the judicial aspects of the society. The Hushna's positions are also hereditary with most families having served in the position from the dawn of recorded time.

Below the Hushna are various clans which seem to specialize in various duties. There are several clans which produce warriors. Other clans cultivate harmonic crystals. Still other clans breed and maintain Moyin. Each clan has a purpose and its members are content to be within their clans. All offspring become members of the birthing parent's clan.

Each off-world colony is ruled by a Mu'Rus [Prince/Princess] who is a child of the Rusyna. The Mu'Rus appoints the colony's Hushna from the colonizing families. In all other regards the colony governments operate in exactly the same fashion as the Ry government. A Mu'Rus is answerable only to the Rusyna in all matters.

Ryseen society seems to have no economic system and little need for wealth and trade. The species colonizes worlds in order to expand its population and has little use for the natural resources on the planets they inhabit. Ryseen keep records on crystalline computer systems which operate via harmonics; in fact almost all of the Ryseen technology is harmonics based. Harmonics seem to be the Ryseen's only current industry.

Ryseen travel the stars aboard living vessels called Moyin. The ships are equivalent in size and firepower to a Class III Battleship. The Ryseen have no use for other starfaring vessels. Planetary transportation is handled via Harmonic Sleds which glide on a cushion of sound.

SC Information: The Ryseen are a territorial species who are aggressively seeking Type 4-7 worlds to colonize. The Ryseen have no qualms about destroying or enslaving any occupying race. Ryseen spies have been discovered on several Galactic Council planets taking samples and it is feared an invasion of one or more Galactic Council planetary systems is inevitable.

Ryseen technology is formidable and completely beyond current Strategic Command understanding. All Ryseen weaponry is unusable by any Galactic Council species except the Mu'Jar who seem to be able to manipulate the weapons with their Void abilities. To date It has been currently impossible to capture a Moyin vessel for study as they have a self-destruct system which incinerates the entire organism.

While no official state of war exists between the Galactic Council and the Ryseen Cheenma all Strategic Command vessels operate on Standing Order 3 [capture or destroy] in regards to any Ryseen discovered within Galactic Council space.

Package Deal:

Abilities

3 +3 STR

2 +1 BODY

1 -2 COM

6 Plant Physiology: Armor (3 PD/1 ED)

37 Thermal Sense: Infrared Perception (Touch Group), Discriminatory, Range, Targeting, Telescopic (+10 versus Range Modifier), Inherent (+1/4)

22 Plant Chameleon: Invisibility to Sight Group , No Fringe, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); Chameleon (-1/2), Only When Surrounded By Plant Material Of The Appropriate Size (-1/2)

16 Vine Grapple: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6 (1 1/2d6 w/STR); Gestures (-1/4), No Knockback (-1/4), Physical Manifestation (-1/4) plus +8 with Hit Location for Head

1 Plant Physiology: Life Support (Eating: Character does not eat); Food Only (-1), Only In Nitrogen-Rich Environment (-1/4)

2 Plant Physiology: Life Support (Sleeping: Character only has to sleep 8 hours per year)

3 Climbing 11-

Total Character Cost: 93

Disadvantages

25 Physical Limitation: No Sense Of Sight All the Time, Fully Impairing

10 Susceptibility: Plant Toxins, 1d6 damage per Turn (Uncommon)

10 Vulnerability: 1 1/2 x BODY Fire-Based Attacks Common

Total Disadvantages: 45

Package Cost: 48

Bionetics

Bionetics is the name given to the branch of medicine specializing in merging man and machine into what is commonly called "cyborgs." This science has been expanded and improved upon several times over the years due to the Viral Bomb influence on the human genome which made it impossible to clone replacement body parts. Bionetics have many uses but the most common are to repair and replace missing limbs, organs, and other damaged bodily structures. Most bionetic pieces can be removed in a relatively short period of time. Bionetic accessories come in three categories:

1: Metallic: These pieces are the cheapest due to the fact that it is obvious to all observers that some body parts are bionetic. There is a slight stigma associated with this, more based on pity than anything else. Characters with Metallic bionetics should take the following Disadvantages:

Social Limitation: Visible Bionetic Parts (8-, Minor) 5 points.

Physical Limitation: Bionetic Parts, Can Be Hampered By Electronic Fields (Inf, Slightly) 5 points.

2: Natural: These bionetic pieces are designed to look and function like a normal part of the body. The bionetics can only be discerned with medical/security scanners and by trained medical personnel. Characters with Natural bionetics should take the following Disadvantage:

Physical Limitation: Bionetic Parts, Can Be Hampered By Electronic Fields (Inf, Slightly) 5 points.

3: Augmented: these pieces can be Metallic or Natural, depending on cost, and grant the user certain abilities beyond the norm of humanity.

Disadvantages as above as per Natural or Metallic.

Augment Bionetic Arms

9 Natural Hand: +5 STR, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); Only With Hand (-1/2), No Knockback (-1/4), IIF (-1/4) plus Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1 point (1/2d6 w/STR), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); IIF (-1/4)

8 Metallic Hand: +5 STR, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); OIF (-1/2), Only With Hand (-1/2), No Knockback (-1/4) plus Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1 point (1/2d6 w/STR), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); OIF (-1/2)

16 Natural Arm: +5 STR, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); No Knockback (-1/4), IIF (-1/4), Only With Arm (-1/4) plus Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1/2d6 (1d6+1 w/STR), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); IIF (-1/4)

13 Metallic Arm: +5 STR, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); OIF (-1/2), No Knockback (-1/4), Only With Arm (-1/4) plus Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1/2d6 (1d6+1 w/STR), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); OIF (-1/2)

23 Natural Both Arms: +8 STR, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), IIF (-1/4), Arms Only (-1/4) plus Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1/2d6 (1d6+1 w/STR), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Continuous (+1); IIF (-1/4), Arms Only (-1/4)

19 Metallic Both Arms: +8 STR, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); OIF (-1/2), No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), Arms Only (-1/4) plus Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1/2d6 (1d6+1 w/STR), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Continuous (+1); OIF (-1/2), Arms Only (-1/4)

Augment Bionetic Legs

8 Natural Leg: +5 STR, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), IIF (-1/4), Leg Only (-1/4) plus Running +2", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); Leg Only (-1/4), IIF (-1/4) plus Leaping +1", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); Leg Only (-1/4), IIF (-1/4)

7 Metallic Leg: +5 STR, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); OIF (-1/2), No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), Leg Only (-1/4) plus Running +2", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); OIF (-1/2), Leg Only (-1/4) plus Leaping +1", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); OIF (-1/2), Leg Only (-1/4)

29 Natural Legs: +8 STR, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), IIF (-1/4), Legs Only (-1/4) plus Running +4", x4 Noncombat, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); Legs Only (-1/4), IIF (-1/4) plus Leaping +3", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); Legs Only (-1/4), IIF (-1/4) plus Clinging (normal STR); IIF (-1/4), Legs Only (-1/4)

24 Metallic Legs: +8 STR, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); OIF (-1/2), No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), Legs Only (-1/4) plus Running +4", x4 Noncombat, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); OIF (-1/2), Legs Only (-1/4) plus Leaping +3", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); OIF (-1/2), Legs Only (-1/4) plus Clinging (normal STR); OIF (-1/2), Legs Only (-1/4)

Augment Bionetics Head

Eye

8 Natural Bionetic Eye, Type 1: +2 PER with Sight Group; IIF (-1/4) plus +4 versus Range Modifier for Sight Group; IIF (-1/4)

7 Metallic Bionetic Eye, Type 1: +2 PER with Sight Group; OIF (-1/2) plus +4 versus Range Modifier for Sight Group; OIF (-1/2)

16 Natural Bionetic Eye, Type 2: +3 PER with Sight Group; IIF (-1/4) plus +6 versus Range Modifier for Sight Group; IIF (-1/4) plus Nightvision; IIF (-1/4)

13 Metallic Bionetic Eye, Type 2: +3 PER with Sight Group; OIF (-1/2) plus +6 versus Range Modifier for Sight Group; OIF (-1/2) plus Nightvision); OIF (-1/2)

20 Natural Bionetic Eye, Type 3: +3 PER with Sight Group; IIF (-1/4) plus +6 versus Range Modifier for Sight Group; IIF (-1/4) plus Nightvision; IIF (-1/4) plus Infrared Perception (Sight Group); IIF (-1/4)

16 Metallic Bionetic Eye, Type 3: +3 PER with Sight Group; OIF (-1/2) plus +6 versus Range Modifier for Sight Group; OIF (-1/2) plus Nightvision; OIF (-1/2) plus Infrared Perception (Sight Group); OIF (-1/2)

6 Natural Bionetic Eye, type 4: Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6 (15 Active Points); 6 Boostable Charges (-1/2), Limited Range (30") (-1/4), No Knockback (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), IIF (-1/4)

5 Metallic Bionetic Eye, type 4: Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6 (15 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), 6 Boostable Charges (-1/2), Limited Range (30") (-1/4), No Knockback (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)

14 Natural Bionetic Eyes, Type 1: +2 PER with Sight Group; IIF (-1/4) plus +4 versus Range Modifier for Sight Group; IIF (-1/4) plus Rapid (x10) with Sight Group; IIF (-1/4) plus Absolute Range Sense; IIF (-1/4)

12 Metallic Bionetic Eyes, Type 1: +2 PER with Sight Group; OIF (-1/2) plus +4 versus Range Modifier for Sight Group; OIF (-1/2) plus Rapid (x10) with Sight Group; OIF (-1/2) plus Absolute Range Sense; OIF (-1/2)

22 Natural Bionetic Eyes, Type 2: +3 PER with Sight Group; IIF (-1/4) plus +6 versus Range Modifier for Sight Group; IIF (-1/4) plus Nightvision; IIF (-1/4) plus Rapid (x10) with Sight Group; IIF (-1/4) plus Absolute Range Sense; IIF (-1/4)

18 Metallic Bionetic Eyes, Type 2: +3 PER with Sight Group; OIF (-1/2) plus +6 versus Range Modifier for Sight Group; OIF (-1/2) plus Nightvision; OIF (-1/2) plus Rapid (x10) with Sight Group; OIF (-1/2) plus Absolute Range Sense; OIF (-1/2)

26 Natural Bionetic Eyes, Type 3: +3 PER with Sight Group; IIF (-1/4) plus +6 versus Range Modifier for Sight Group; IIF (-1/4) plus Nightvision; IIF (-1/4) plus Infrared Perception (Sight Group); IIF (-1/4) plus Rapid (x10) with Sight Group; IIF (-1/4) plus Absolute Range Sense; IIF (-1/4)

21 Metallic Bionetic Eyes, Type 3: +3 PER with Sight Group; OIF (-1/2) plus +6 versus Range Modifier for Sight Group; OIF (-1/2) plus Nightvision; OIF (-1/2) plus Infrared Perception (Sight Group); OIF (-1/2) plus Rapid (x10) with Sight Group; OIF (-1/2) plus Absolute Range Sense; OIF (-1/2)

39 Natural Bionetic Eyes, Type 4: +4 PER with Sight Group; IIF (-1/4) plus +8 versus Range Modifier for Sight Group; IIF (-1/4) plus Nightvision; IIF (-1/4) plus Infrared Perception (Sight Group); IIF (-1/4) plus Rapid (x100) with Sight Group; IIF (-1/4) plus Absolute Range Sense; IIF (-1/4) plus X-Ray Perception (Sight Group); Costs Endurance (-1/2), IIF (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)

32 Metallic Bionetic Eyes, Type 4: +4 PER with Sight Group; OIF (-1/2) plus +8 versus Range Modifier for Sight Group; OIF (-1/2) plus Nightvision; OIF (-1/2) plus Infrared Perception (Sight Group); OIF (-1/2) plus Rapid (x100) with Sight Group; OIF (-1/2) plus Absolute Range Sense; OIF (-1/2) plus X-Ray Perception (Sight Group); OIF (-1/2), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)

Ear

14 Natural Bionetic Ear, type 1: +2 PER with Hearing Group; IIF (-1/4) plus Radio Perception; IIF (-1/4) plus +4 versus Range Modifier for Hearing Group; IIF (-1/4)

12 Metallic Bionetic Ear, type 1: +2 PER with Hearing Group; OIF (-1/2) plus Radio Perception; OIF (-1/2) plus +4 versus Range Modifier for Hearing Group; OIF (-1/2)

20 Natural Bionetic Ear, type 2: +3 PER with Hearing Group; IIF (-1/4) plus Radio Perception; IIF (-1/4) plus +6 versus Range Modifier for Hearing Group; IIF (-1/4) plus Ultrasonic Perception (Hearing Group); IIF (-1/4)

17 Metallic Bionetic Ear, type 2: +3 PER with Hearing Group; OIF (-1/2) plus Radio Perception; OIF (-1/2) plus +6 versus Range Modifier for Hearing Group; OIF (-1/2) plus Ultrasonic Perception (Hearing Group); OIF (-1/2)

22 Natural Bionetic Ear, type 3: +3 PER with Hearing Group; IIF (-1/4) plus Radio Perception; IIF (-1/4) plus +6 versus Range Modifier for Hearing Group; IIF (-1/4) plus Ultrasonic Perception (Hearing Group); IIF (-1/4) plus Perfect Pitch; IIF (-1/4)

19 Metallic Bionetic Ear, type 3: +3 PER with Hearing Group; OIF (-1/2) plus Radio Perception; OIF (-1/2) plus +6 versus Range Modifier for Hearing Group; OIF (-1/2) plus Ultrasonic Perception (Hearing Group); OIF (-1/2) plus Perfect Pitch; OIF (-1/2)

34 Natural Bionetic Ears, type 1: +3 PER with Hearing Group; IIF (-1/4) plus Radio Perception; IIF (-1/4) plus +6 versus Range Modifier for Hearing Group; IIF (-1/4) plus Ultrasonic Perception (Hearing Group); IIF (-1/4) plus Perfect Pitch; IIF (-1/4) plus Active Sonar (Hearing Group); IIF (-1/4)

29 Metallic Bionetic Ears, type 1: +3 PER with Hearing Group; OIF (-1/2) plus Radio Perception; OIF (-1/2) plus +6 versus Range Modifier for Hearing Group; OIF (-1/2) plus Ultrasonic Perception (Hearing Group); OIF (-1/2) plus Perfect Pitch; OIF (-1/2) plus Active Sonar (Hearing Group); OIF (-1/2)

40 Natural Bionetic Ears, type 2: +3 PER with Hearing Group; IIF (-1/4) plus Radio Perception; IIF (-1/4) plusV +6 versus Range Modifier for Hearing Group; IIF (-1/4) plus Ultrasonic Perception (Hearing Group); IIF (-1/4) plus Perfect Pitch; IIF (-1/4) plus Spatial Awareness (Unusual Group); IIF (-1/4)

34 Metallic Bionetic Ears, type 2: +3 PER with Hearing Group; OIF (-1/2) plus Radio Perception; OIF (-1/2) plus +6 versus Range Modifier for Hearing Group; OIF (-1/2) plus Ultrasonic Perception (Hearing Group); OIF (-1/2) plus Perfect Pitch; OIF (-1/2) plus Spatial Awareness (Unusual Group); OIF (-1/2)

Other

16 Natural Bionetic Olfactory, type 1: +2 PER with Smell/Taste Group; IIF (-1/4) plus +4 versus Range Modifier for Smell/Taste Group; IIF (-1/4) plus Tracking with Smell/Taste Group; IIF (-1/4)

14 Metallic Bionetic Olfactory, type 1: +2 PER with Smell/Taste Group; OIF (-1/2) plus +4 versus Range Modifier for Smell/Taste Group; OIF (-1/2) plus Tracking with Smell/Taste Group; OIF (-1/2)

36 Natural Bionetic Olfactory, type 2: +3 PER with Smell/Taste Group; IIF (-1/4) plus +6 versus Range Modifier for Smell/Taste Group; IIF (-1/4) plus Tracking with Smell/Taste Group; IIF (-1/4) plus Targeting with Smell/Taste Group; IIF (-1/4)

30 Metallic Bionetic Olfactory, type 2: +3 PER with Smell/Taste Group; OIF (-1/2) plus +6 versus Range Modifier for Smell/Taste Group; OIF (-1/2) plus Tracking with Smell/Taste Group; OIF (-1/2) plus Targeting with Smell/Taste Group; OIF (-1/2)

4 Natural Bionetic Psionic Scrambler: Mental Defense; IIF (-1/4)

3 Metallic Bionetic Psionic Scrambler: +5 Mental Defense; OIF (-1/2)

4 Natural Bionetic Memory Enhancer: Eidetic Memory; IIF (-1/4)

3 Metallic Bionetic Memory Enhancer: Eidetic Memory; OIF (-1/2)

Augment Bionetic Torso

4 Bionetic Spinal Column: +10 STR; Only With Lifting And Encumbrance (-1), No Figured Characteristics (-1/2)

17 Bionetic Cardio-Vascular System: +5 CON plus +10 END plus Life Support (Extended Breathing: 1 END per Minute)

4 Bionetic Digestive System: Life Support (Eating: Character only has to eat once per week; Immunity: Ingested Toxins)

9 Bionetic Recuperative System: Healing BODY 2d6; 5 Charges (-3/4), Self Only (-1/2)

11 Natural Bionetic Reproductive System: +10 END plus PS: Sexual Techniques; IIF (-1/4) 14-

10 Metallic Bionetic Reproductive System: +10 END plus PS: Sexual Techniques; OIF (-1/2) 14-

Augment Bionetics Other Parts

2 Natural Bionetic Skin, type 1: Armor (2 PD/1 ED); Activation Roll 11- (-1)

2 Metallic Bionetic Skin, type 1: Armor (2 PD/1 ED); Activation Roll 11- (-1), Visible (-1/4)

4 Natural Bionetic Skin, type 2: Armor (4 PD/2 ED); Activation Roll 11- (-1)

4 Metallic Bionetic Skin, type 2: Armor (4 PD/2 ED); Activation Roll 11- (-1), Visible (-1/4)

6 Natural Bionetic Skin, type 3: Armor (4 PD/2 ED); Activation Roll 11- (-1) plus Touch Group Flash Defense (5 points); Activation Roll 11- (-1)

6 Metallic Bionetic Skin, type 3: Armor (4 PD/2 ED); Activation Roll 11- (-1), Visible (-1/4) plus Touch Group Flash Defense (5 points); Activation Roll 11- (-1), Visible (-1/4)

4 Natural Bionetic Laser Skin: Armor (1 PD/5 ED); Activation Roll 11- (-1)

4 Metallic Bionetic Laser Skin: Armor (1 PD/5 ED); Activation Roll 11- (-1), Visible (-1/4)

4 Natural Bionetic Voice Box: Hearing Group Images 1" radius, +2 to PER Rolls; Amplify Voice Only (-1), No Range (-1/2)

4 Metallic Bionetic Voice Box: Hearing Group Images 1" radius, +2 to PER Rolls; Amplify Voice Only (-1), No Range (-1/2), Physical Manifestation (-1/4)

I'm putting together a Strategic Command: Starship Guide pdf which will have examples of all 23 SC vessels, as well as cockpit escape pods, both types of regular escape pods, and sky runner shuttle craft. Here is an example from the Fighter classes:

GSC C7A-C1-101-714 "Gonzo"

C7-A Space Viper

4 SIZE: 20 30 STR: 0 18 DEX: 24

20 BODY: 6 2 DEF: 0 3 SPD: 2

Characteristics Cost: 50

Powers

34 Sol System 2 Reactor

89 Class D Fusion Drive (1,450 kph/11,250 kph)

24 Class II Defenses

55 Dorsal Type 3 Laser

60 Port Wing M2 Thunderhawk Missile

5 Starboard Wing M2 Thunderhawk Missiles

27 Radio Jammer Countermeasures

11 Primary Life Support

22 Series C Sensor Array

5 Standard Com System

16 Tow-Line

15 Artificial Gravity System

28 Cockpit Escape Pod

-12 Spacefaring Only: -6" Running

-2 Spacefaring Only: -2" Swimming

Powers Cost: 379

Skill/Talents

20 Targeting Computer: +4 with Ranged Combat

16 Maneuverable: +8 with Flight

2 Navigation Computer: AK: Stationed Sector 11-

4 Navigation Computer: +2 with Navigation

3 Onboard Computer:Absolute Time Sense

3 Onboard Computer:Bump Of Direction

5 Onboard Computer:Eidetic Memory

Skills/Talents Cost: 56

Disadvantage

15 Distinctive Features: Strategic Council Vessel (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

10 Physical Limitation: Uses 10 End to charge Weapon's System when they are activated (Frequently, Slightly Impairing)

Vehicle Cost: 92 (460/5)

Description: This typical C7-A Space Viper is a single-person Fighter piloted by Lieutenant Logan "Gonzo" Long, who is currently assigned to the Command Carrier Centaurus stationed in Sector 2. The C7-A is a light Fighter designed primarily for fighter-to-fighter combat but it can also be used for short-range escort and planetary assault cover-fire. The C7-A is fast and maneuverable but does not pack quite the firepower of the C7-B or the overall versatility of the C7-C. Even with these shortcomings the C7-A is the preferred choice of most fighter pilots due to its sense of style and individuality. "Snake-head" is a common, and respected, term for a C7-A pilot.

GSC C7B P-11 730 "Coors"

C7-B Hornet

5 SIZE: 25 35 STR: 0 17 DEX: 21

21 BODY: 6 2 DEF: 0 3 SPD: 3

Characteristics Cost: 55

Powers

34 Sol System 2 Reactor

24 Class II Defenses

55 Dorsal Type 3 Laser

60 Port Wing M2 Thunderhawk Missile

10 Starboard Wing and Under-Carriage M2 Thunderhawk Missiles: 2 Additional (Total of 3)

11 Primary Life Support

22 Series C Sensor Array

5 Standard Com System

16 Tow-Line

28 Cockpit Escape Pod

-12 Spacefaring Only: -6" Running

-2 Spacefaring Only: -2" Swimming

Powers Cost: 382

Skill/Talents

12 Maneuverable: +6 with Flight

Talents Cost: 52

Disadvantages

Vessel Cost: 93 (464/5)

Description: This C7-B Hornet is a single-person Fighter piloted by squadron leader Lt. Command Tina "Coors" Horton out of the P-11 Spaceport near Alpha Mensae. The C7-B is a medium-class Fighter designed for intensive fighter-to-fighter combat. The third M2 Thunderhawk Missile launcher mounted on the vessel's belly gives the C7-B additional firepower and the ability to make prolonged attacks on planetary targets as well. The C7-B is fast but not as maneuverable as it smaller sister the C7-A, but the punch the C7-B can deliver cannot be denied. The C7-B is the backbone of the Fighter fleet and is able to used in a multitude of mission types without complication.

GSC C7C-EC-795 "Wraith/Walker"

C7-C Stingray

6 SIZE: 30 40 STR: 0 17 DEX: 21

22 BODY: 6 2 DEF: 0 3 SPD: 3

Characteristics Cost: 60

Powers

34 Sol System 2 Reactor

24 Class II Defenses

55 Dorsal Type 3 Laser

5 Under-Carriage Rear T3 Laser: 1 Additional (Total of 2)

60 Port Wing M2 Thunderhawk Missiles

10 Starboard Wing and Under-Carriage Rear M2 Thunderhawk Missiles: 2 Additional (Total of 3)

28 Radio Jammer Missile System

5 Radio Jammer Countermeasure: 1 Additional (Total of 2)

11 Primary Life Support

22 Series C Sensor Array

5 Standard Com System

16 Tow-Line

38 Escape Pod

-12 Starfaring Only: -6" Running

-2 Starfaring Only: -2" Swimming

Powers Cost: 430

Skills/Talents

8 Maneuverable: +4 with Flight

Talents Cost: 48

Disadvantages

Vessel Cost: 103 (513/5)

Description: This C7-C Stingray is a two-person Fighter stationed at Earth Command in Cairo, Egypt. This particular vessel is commanded by Lieutenant Commander Ben "Wraith" Johnson with Lieutenant Jason "Walker" Williams handling navigation and aft weapons control. The C7-C is the largest of the Fighter Class and is often referred to as "C&G," standing for Coming and Going, due to it's ability to strike a target with a forward pass and then hit it again with the rear weapons as it is pulling away. Because of the vessel's limited maneuverability and fore and aft weapon systems the C7-C is most often use on planetary missions against ground-based targets. The C7-C is also a good fighter-to-fighter vessel due to the surprise trailing vessels get when attacked by the rear weapon's systems.

Just wanted to publicly say this is a cool thread. I've been reading along and I'm still digesting all of it.

Good job and thanks for sharing.

Thanks. I just finished the various human types packages and mostly finished with the psionic powers for those human type. I'm about 2/3 of the way through human weapons. I've done 4-5 more vessels. I'm almost done with the Mu'Jar [the games jedi-types] packages and alien bio too. I'll post more when I get some things closer to being completed. I'm just hopping around right now to keep my interests up. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking about the star hero skills thread and so whipped up some skills which I will be using the my Galactic Council campaign. Here's the first group:

Astronautical Engineering - The science used to design/build starbases, star ports, starships and other space worthy vessels.

Astrophysics - The science of astronomy and stellar mapping.

Bionetics - The science of merging man and machine into what is commonly called "cyborgs."

Bionetic Engineering - The science of creating bionetic components.

Environmental Engineering - The science of manipulating planetary bodies to better suit a particular species' biological needs.

Hybernetics - The science of putting living tissue into suspended animation, most commonly used for space travel.

Hydro-Vegetation - The science of growing plant matter in liquids, gasses, and other non-organic materials.

Life Systems Engineering - The science specializing in creating structures and life support systems for hostile environments.

Light Drive Engineering - The science of creating engines which can travel faster than the speed of light.

Light Drive Physics - The science dealing with objects moving faster than the speed of light.

Psionics - The science which studies human and alien psionic abilities.

Stellar Navigation - The science of plotting routes through stars at faster-than-light speeds.

Telekinetics - The science of energy manipulation to produce various telekinetic effects.

Worm Hole Engineering - The science of creating stable worm holes.

Worm Hole Physics - The science which studies worm holes.

Worm Hole Navigation - The science of plotting a stable worm hole between two points.

Xeno-Architecture - The science which studies alien building practices, techniques, and materials.

Xeno-Archaeology - The science which studies lost or ancient alien cultures.

Xeno-Biology - The science which studies non-human biology.

Xeno-Engineering - The science with studies alien technology.

Xeno-Medicine -The science of alien anatomy, physiology, and medical treatment.

Xeno-Sociology - The science which studies alien cultures and societies.

Xeno-Psychology - The science which specializes in alien psychology.

I've decided to make some scientific skill groups for my Galactic Council campaign. Basically a skill group is a broad category skill which has several sub-skills associated with it at a -3 level. Each +1 on the base skill adds +1 to the sub-skill, and sub-skills can also have their rolls increased at +1 point each [an 8- sub-skill goes to a 9-, not an 11-]. Examples will include:

Xenology: 11-

* Xeno-Archaeology: 8-

* Xeno-Architecture: 8-

* Xeno-Biology: 8-

* Xeno-Engineering: 8-

* Xeno-Hierarchy: 8-

* Xeno-Sociology: 8-

Xeno-Medical: 11-

* Xeno-Anatomy: 8-

* Xeno-Biology: 8-

* Xeno-Pharmacology: 8-

* Xeno-Physiology: 8-

* Xeno-Psychology: 8-

* Xeno-Sociology: 8-

Stellar Engineering: 11-

* Astronautical Engineering: 8-

* Electrical Engineering: 8-

* Life Systems Engineering: 8-

* Light Drive Engineering: 8-

* Mechanical Engineering: 8-

* Worm Hole Engineering: 8-

I'm curious if anyone has even done anything like this, and if so how did it work out?

Well, in my own SF campaign I used real-world sciences with a -3 to the skill allowing access to the "Xeno" version or any sub-category, and an additional -3 allowing access to the Xeno sub category, -3 for every Tech Level more advanced than your own the device might be. This roll was only for analysis and reverse-engineering, not invention. You would also need supporting skills appropriate to the problem to even have a shot. So, say you find an alien laser weapon. You don't have Weaponsmith: Alien Beam Weapons, but you do have Electronics, Physics, and Weaponsmith: Guns. Since you have skills that are almost appropriate, I would allow a roll of Weaponsmith -9 (-3 for Xeno, -3 for Beam Weapons, -3 for one tech level more advanced) to figure out what exactly this thing was and how it worked, and how to perform general maintenance. If you actually wanted to duplicate it, the act of studying it in and of itself could be an excuse to sink a point into Weaponsmith: Alien Beam Weapons, assuming that your tech level was sufficient to duplicate the device at all (no bronze age duplication of beam weapons would ever be possible, no matter how clever the engineer; the supporting technologies just did not exist).

It worked well for the feeling I wanted in the campaign. I never had any serious problems with someone trying to buy one skill at 35 or less so that they could claim to have all related skills at 15.

Side Note:However, if you don't mind that effect, it's actually appropriate for some genres (50s Atomic Horror, Silver Age Sci Fi). The cost model for Universal Translator works fine for all other Universal Skills.

I'm thinking out load here, so keep that in mind.

The cost of, for instance, Life Support for a fighter is the same as Life Support for a ship of the wall.

I find that...strange.

I don't have TUV so not quite sure how this is handled, but does Life Support require any kind of UBO etc? In my mind I just expected to see some kind of size/radius inclusion in the LS (which would make it more expensive for larger ships).

Like I said, just thinking out loud.

Well, in a way, it can be more expensive for large ships. Since in a small craft having a primary and secondary (+5 points) is probably enough. (At that point, put everyone in space suits.) However, in really big ships, you probably want each section to have its own centralized Life Support (and probably backup), so that it can survive when it is cut off from the rest of the ship. But also, you can use the Partial Coverage Limitation to represent that Life Support (or any other power) doesn't quite cover the entire ship.

Well, in my own SF campaign I used real-world sciences with a -3 to the skill allowing access to the "Xeno" version or any sub-category, and an additional -3 allowing access to the Xeno sub category, -3 for every Tech Level more advanced than your own the device might be. This roll was only for analysis and reverse-engineering, not invention. You would also need supporting skills appropriate to the problem to even have a shot. So, say you find an alien laser weapon. You don't have Weaponsmith: Alien Beam Weapons, but you do have Electronics, Physics, and Weaponsmith: Guns. Since you have skills that are almost appropriate, I would allow a roll of Weaponsmith -9 (-3 for Xeno, -3 for Beam Weapons, -3 for one tech level more advanced) to figure out what exactly this thing was and how it worked, and how to perform general maintenance. If you actually wanted to duplicate it, the act of studying it in and of itself could be an excuse to sink a point into Weaponsmith: Alien Beam Weapons, assuming that your tech level was sufficient to duplicate the device at all (no bronze age duplication of beam weapons would ever be possible, no matter how clever the engineer; the supporting technologies just did not exist).

It worked well for the feeling I wanted in the campaign. I never had any serious problems with someone trying to buy one skill at 35 or less so that they could claim to have all related skills at 15.

Side Note:However, if you don't mind that effect, it's actually appropriate for some genres (50s Atomic Horror, Silver Age Sci Fi). The cost model for Universal Translator works fine for all other Universal Skills.

I'm not big on letting someone have a 35 or less [not that I even think they can afford it in a 150 point game :)]. I'm just looking for a way to make sense of skills without players needing to buy 20 different skills just to be able to communicate or work with aliens, for example. It really seems like most sciences are just sub-categories of base sciences: Physics - sub-atomic, nuclear, etc. It just seem to make more sense to let someone by Physics at 11- and have an 8- understanding of what sub-atomic physics is. Otherwise Spock-like characters will be way too expensive in a game.

I'm not big on letting someone have a 35 or less [not that I even think they can afford it in a 150 point game :)]. I'm just looking for a way to make sense of skills without players needing to buy 20 different skills just to be able to communicate or work with aliens' date=' for example. It really seems like most sciences are just sub-categories of base sciences: Physics - sub-atomic, nuclear, etc. It just seem to make more sense to let someone by Physics at 11- and have an 8- understanding of what sub-atomic physics is. Otherwise Spock-like characters will be way too expensive in a game.[/quote']

With Spock, considering the genre, you might be able to make a case for giving him Universal Scientist for 20 points. He almost never ran into anything science related he couldn't comment on, and yet he rarely came up with anything completely new. Bones and Scotty on the other hand really did have Science Skills in their fields, and were more likely to come up with new inventions becauses of it.

Or maybe Spock just never sunk the points into Inventor. ;)