First the moon, then the stars!

Proemial

Okay, next question. Yeah, brain got going.

Been surfing the FREd and have been trying to figure out how a character gets into Orbit. What speed would be necessary, given that gravity eats 1" of flight for each 1" travelled upward.

I'm assuming Flight as the method to attain orbit. Obviously, someone could use a Teleportation power

Technically speaking, even 1" of flight will allow you to escape the atmosphere, assuming you have sufficient time, END, and Life Support. Unlike a conventional rocket which has a limited fuel charge, and must use it quickly to escape gravity before it is expended, a character with 0 END flight and appropriate LS can take his time, climbing slowly but steadily (within the limits of SFX).

Yeh, exactly. That thing about subtracting for gravity threw me for a second ("Did they change something in the rules I hadn't noticed?").

Generally the only time you MAY have to consider subtracting inches of movement from your flight is when you have been falling. I say "May" because GMs for simplicity will sometimes say if you have flight you can come to an immediate stop. I tend to do it the hard way: Say, you're uncoscious and falling near terminal velocity (Can't remember if it's 30" or 32", so I'll say 30"). You wake up and have 20" of movement, you could slow yourself to 10", then on the next turn reverse yourself and come up (assuming your GM doesn't consider this NCM. If he rules it non-combat movement then you could actually stop and reverse yourself 10" in the same phase).

But if you're just lifiting off the ground, like the man said, 1" and all of the life support you can get, is all you need to reach the stars.

Speaking from a physics perspective:

Escape Velocity is a "point velocity" term. It is the velocity you would need, at ground level, to overcome *all* the slowdown imposed by gravity all the way up to orbit. (25 thousand miles per hour, 40 thousand kilometers per hour)

It doesn't cover constant acceleration nor speed maintenance.

It would be interesting, however, to have a character that could point launch themselves at escape velocity:

Enough flight to cover that much speed (I'd go with NCMs, less hexes to buy, and who really can maneouver at that speed), with the disadvantages of "No turning" "Stops only when hits things" "Cannot decelerate" "stupid to use in any direction but straight up"

;)

Originally posted by Proemial

Speaking from a physics perspective:

Escape Velocity is a "point velocity" term. It is the velocity you would need, at ground level, to overcome *all* the slowdown imposed by gravity all the way up to orbit. (25 thousand miles per hour, 40 thousand kilometers per hour)

It doesn't cover constant acceleration nor speed maintenance.

There was an argument on the HML several years ago. At the time I was about the only person holding this position (there may have been one or two others). If you have a link to a scientific research page (preferably from NASA), or if someone here with a certifiable background in a related field would post agreement, I'd feel very vindicated.
It would be interesting, however, to have a character that could point launch themselves at escape velocity:

Enough flight to cover that much speed (I'd go with NCMs, less hexes to buy, and who really can maneouver at that speed), with the disadvantages of "No turning" "Stops only when hits things" "Cannot decelerate" "stupid to use in any direction but straight up"

;)

What about MegaScaled Leaping?