Need the help of someone with 5ER

Gary Ciaramella

Re: Need the help of someone with 5ER

That's your silly problem then, to be blunt. Why buy books you'll never use? "Gotta catch 'em all!" I guess...

As for your assertion that HERO Games publishes whatever they feel like, with no consideration for what the players want to see...well, I'm not sure how to argue with someone who is delusional.

I love how when people see that they have made a mistake or lost a discussion they resort to personal attacks. It always shows the class of the individual.

Asking us what we want to see in Free Willy Hero is not the same thing as asking us if we would want to buy Free Willy Hero over another possible publishable choice.
Seven or eight Champions books next year isn't enough? I guess I find myself wondering what exactly Champions books you think Hero Games should be publishing that they're not?

Let's see: They have the core superhero rules and the "low powered" rules out already, and Teen Heroes is due out next year. They've already published several locale books such as Vibora Bay and Millenium City (with a Champions/Dark Champions city in the works), a large book of supervillains, a compendium of pre-built powers, an overall look at their game universe, a book on a major villainous network (VIPER), a book on a major law enforcement agency (UNTIL), a book on an evil sorcerous organization (DEMON), a adventure crossover with another game company's products (potentially doubling new player and certainly providing additional villains for Champions), a superheroic book setting in the year 3000, a book of mystic opponents and adventures, and I've probably missed something. I didn't include the Ultimate books because they're cross-genre.

So exactly what aren't they covering that earns them such ire from you? I'm sorry, but to me this sounds more personal than rational. :nonp:

So exactly what aren't they covering that earns them such ire from you? I'm sorry' date=' but to me this sounds more personal than rational. [/quote']

I have no ire. I just feel that Hero Games is not properly supporting the Champions line. When I attend an online chat and hear about the poor sales of certain Champions books I have to wonder if those sales are poor because fans have no interest in the books being published or because Hero Games is using too much resources on other books and spreading themselves to thin, and so driving their already small fan base into another game's arms in-part due to dissatificaton.

I have no ire. I just feel that Hero Games is not properly supporting the Champions line. When I attend an online chat and hear about the poor sales of certain Champions books I have to wonder if those sales are poor because fans have no interest in the books being published or because Hero Games is using too much resources on other books and spreading themselves to thin' date=' and so driving their already small fan base into another game's arms in-part due to dissatificaton.[/quote']You still haven't answered my question: What specifically hasn't Hero Games done that you think should have been done? What kind of support for Champions do you feel is lacking?

What advice are they ignoring? What more could they possibly be doing for Champions beyond what they've already done or is currently in the works? Produce a neverending line of halfbaked and poorly written generic adventures like AD&D did? Create a huge not-quite-compatible line of sub-genre books like GURPS? Considering that less than half of all Champions players run their campaigns in the official Champions universe, premade scenarios are of limited utility and sales incentive to most GMs. A substantial portion of the CU stuff is of little or no utility to me (and half of all Champions players) because we play in our own unique game setting. As far as my Champions campaign goes I'll get much more use out of Dark Champions, Star Hero, and TUV than I do out of Millenium City, Hudson City and Vibora Bay because DH, SH, and TUV are generic. I even bought Shades of Black, one of their e-book Champions adventures. Although an interesting and well executed adventure, it simply doesn't fit my game universe at all (It's still sitting unused in my hard drive). Since it also sold poorly, I assume other GMs had the same problem with it. IMHO it would have been terminally stupid of Hero Games to expand this line of products if it doesn't sell.

Hero not only publishes plenty of material for Champions, but they provide this excellent website which allows players of all genres to discuss rules and game ideas free of charge. Not only that, but the Hero Games people even participate in the discussions and answer questions. If this isn't customer service, I frankly don't know what is.

I honestly don't think you have a leg to stand on here.

There is an immense amount of content that Hero has put out. I like quite a bit of the content. One problem I have with Hero is that they scatter the content around in this and that book in a very inconvenient manner. The format really doesn't exploit the entertainment value of the content either. It's a bit of a killjoy, very dry delivery. Compare Millennium City to Freedom City. And plot seeds are cool but I sure would appreciate some adventures or mini-adventures in the back of the big thick books. I would also appreciate a little more practicality in rules design but I just have to house rule around that. And I would definitely like them to leave Ethical Monotheistic Religions alone in their dimensional "philosophizing".

I would chime in that I think if 5ER was intended not to render 5 obsolete (which has been oft-stated) that giving only a page reference to 5ER is a bit too limited of an answer and in fact states that 5 is actually obsolete and upgrading is required for appropriate company support. However, I'm not saying this makes HERO worse than its competitors or takes away from the impressive job Steve does of answering queries and the company's general openness. I think, though, given the very recent release of 5th, it's a step backward in their service and I find it to be a minor disappointment. As a "minor disappointment" it won't influence my purchase decisions or my feeling on HERO Games in general, frankly, but there it is.

EDIT/PS - and I do have 5ER now.

I would chime in that I think if 5ER was intended not to render 5 obsolete (which has been oft-stated) that giving only a page reference to 5ER is a bit too limited of an answer and in fact states that 5 is actually obsolete and upgrading is required for appropriate company support. However, I'm not saying this makes HERO worse than its competitors or takes away from the impressive job Steve does of answering queries and the company's general openness. I think, though, given the very recent release of 5th, it's a step backward in their service and I find it to be a minor disappointment. As a "minor disappointment" it won't influence my purchase decisions or my feeling on HERO Games in general, frankly, but there it is.

EDIT/PS - and I do have 5ER now.

Personally, I feel the same way. For the vast majority of people, a reference to 5eR might as well be "because I said so." I realise its a pain in the butt to have to check references in both books, but there you have it.